What would you do? Zombie outbreak edition

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

brunette.barbi
*
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:57 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead
Location: Central Louisiana

What would you do? Zombie outbreak edition

Post by brunette.barbi » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:37 pm

If there was a national zombie outbreak, hypothetically speaking of course, would your plan be to stay where you are, or leave where you are? Fortify your surroundings, or seek out a better one? Curious to know.

NWDub
* *
Posts: 116
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:59 pm

Re: What would you do? Zombie outbreak edition

Post by NWDub » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:38 pm

Every situation is different, but typically I would bug in until I could not safely do so, and at that point (after the mass chaos has subsided) I would make my move during the night.

The stored fuel I have would be able to get me beyond the scope of most anyone, and there I would set up again. most likely on BLM land since there's so much of it here and nobody lives on it.

edit: I'm also in my mid 20s and live with roommates of the same age in a house with nothing I would have to look after

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 963
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 11:11 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead
Location: Trinity City, Texas

Re: What would you do? Zombie outbreak edition

Post by Zimmy » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:47 am

Stay home and bunker up
Boldly going nowhere

User avatar
woodsghost
* * * * *
Posts: 2884
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 3:45 pm

Re: What would you do? Zombie outbreak edition

Post by woodsghost » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:00 am

I agree it would depend on the circumstances. In general, with real zombies, I'd like to head out quick as possible. I live in a city with close to 200K people, and I don't have 200K rounds of ammunition. I'd like to leave before things got really hot and head out to look after my parents. If that was not possible, I'd at least want to go away from population centers and live off the land. Which could get tricky, but tree house living could help.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

User avatar
Tater Raider
* * * * *
Posts: 6737
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:53 pm
Location: Meatworld

Re: What would you do? Zombie outbreak edition

Post by Tater Raider » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:15 am

My default position on damn near everything: Bug in, hunker down, see what happens, respond accordingly, improvise, adapt, and overcome the problem one step at a time.

User avatar
crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 16639
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:37 pm
Location: City of Saint Louis

Re: What would you do? Zombie outbreak edition

Post by crypto » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:29 am

I'd bug in until my situation became untenable. I live in a single family brick structure that's easily defensible, with easy rooftop access to other buildings if I need it.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Image
Image

User avatar
Mikeyboy
* * * * *
Posts: 2265
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 8:00 am

Re: What would you do? Zombie outbreak edition

Post by Mikeyboy » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:34 am

I also have to play the "It depends" card. Just to put everything in context, I have a single family home in the suburbs. My first move would be to bunker up and stay home. I have tons of relative and friends in the area, all my stuff is here and I have plenty of plans to make my home zombie proof.

That said, The total population of Philadelphia and the surrounding counties is over 6 million people. My area is between two other cities, NYC and Baltimore, both are only 100 miles away from me. Even if there is only a 50% zombie/ 50% human split, there are going to be hordes of zombies wandering around my general area for a while. I hope to fight them off, and live bunkered up until everyone in the area gets a handle on the zombie epidemic, but if its a long term or losing battle, at some point there may be too many zombies for me to handle, and I will be forced to leave to go somewhere more isolated. I also would wonder about the military nuking large zombie clusters. Due to its dense urban population, along the I-95 corridor between Boston and DC is going to be a target rich area. I might survive the zombies but eventually die of radiation and fallout.

Image
Last edited by Mikeyboy on Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:44 am, edited 3 times in total.

Neptune Glory
* * *
Posts: 453
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:35 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Army of Darkness, The Crow (technically a Zombie!), Lost Boys (Vampires are Zombies, too!)
Location: Saint Louis, Missouri

Re: What would you do? Zombie outbreak edition

Post by Neptune Glory » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:36 am

At the moment we're not equipped to bug in. We'd take off asap and put distance between us and major cities.
"When it comes to justifiable use of deadly force, you should seek to avoid confrontation, unless you have no choice and your life is on the line. This is easier to say than to do because it requires that you be calm and peace-loving throughout your life, but ready to use deadly force at any moment."

User avatar
Barnabus
* * *
Posts: 445
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:05 pm
Location: Jefferson County, Alabama

Re: What would you do? Zombie outbreak edition

Post by Barnabus » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:52 am

At the moment, plans would be to stay put in the suburbs (wife is handicapped, in a wheelchair) we are going to start looking for a place out of the city soon. Her brother, my sister and us hope to band together in a farm house setting somewhere.
"If you are prepared for a shambling horde of walking corpses that are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for just about anything."
Image

User avatar
Redacted
*
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:35 pm

Re: What would you do? Zombie outbreak edition

Post by Redacted » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:19 pm

If there is a zombie outbreak nationwide, I'll probably stick around because there is sure to be a lot of overtime available at work and quite frankly, there may suddenly be some openings in management.

Gotta climb that ladder.

Besides, I don't want to deal with the psychopaths that decide to run to the hills. All the same social stresses you'd find in a population dense area without an iota of infrastructure or legal recourse.
Are we not drawn onward, we few, drawn onward to new era?

Darkhunter
* *
Posts: 109
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:15 am
Location: Central Florida

Re: What would you do? Zombie outbreak edition

Post by Darkhunter » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:22 pm

brunette.barbi wrote:If there was a national zombie outbreak, hypothetically speaking of course, would your plan be to stay where you are, or leave where you are? Fortify your surroundings, or seek out a better one? Curious to know.
I have a plan to trek myself back to me first home in Maine where I grew up and regroup with my parents, taking a pit-stop in Pennsylvania to get family to bring with. Nearest neighbor was miles away, high altitudes, 500 Acres of Wildlife preserve and more acreage of nearby state parks to help find food and lumber/camp wood for years of sustainability. This also doesn't touch upon the acreage of my parents, that I am part owner of, that house a natural spring, many natural berry bushes, 3 wells, two hunting cabins and a view for miles in all directions.

Just have to avoid New York city for the most part on the way back and will be doing that by routing through Pennsylvania, only cutting through New York state to get back quicker to Maine through the top of the state. Honestly I'd love to move back there now but don't have the cash at the moment and start work in Florida next month. The woes of Wildland Firefighting.

brunette.barbi
*
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:57 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead
Location: Central Louisiana

Re: What would you do? Zombie outbreak edition

Post by brunette.barbi » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:38 pm

I personally would bug in, because I live in the country and the closest "big" city, which isn't all that big compared to Philly, is like 40 miles away.

User avatar
woodsghost
* * * * *
Posts: 2884
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 3:45 pm

Re: What would you do? Zombie outbreak edition

Post by woodsghost » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:55 pm

Redacted wrote:If there is a zombie outbreak nationwide, I'll probably stick around because there is sure to be a lot of overtime available at work and quite frankly, there may suddenly be some openings in management.

Gotta climb that ladder.
Ha! That made me laugh :clap:

+1 to ya!
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

User avatar
fred.greek
* *
Posts: 242
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:29 pm

Re: What would you do? Zombie outbreak edition

Post by fred.greek » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:27 pm

We are 30 some miles of sand outside a city of around 100K. In a true zombie (or other disease scenario) we would most likely bug-in.

User avatar
Mikeyboy
* * * * *
Posts: 2265
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 8:00 am

Re: What would you do? Zombie outbreak edition

Post by Mikeyboy » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:34 am

woodsghost wrote:
Redacted wrote:If there is a zombie outbreak nationwide, I'll probably stick around because there is sure to be a lot of overtime available at work and quite frankly, there may suddenly be some openings in management.

Gotta climb that ladder.
Ha! That made me laugh :clap:

+1 to ya!
You gotta admit he has a good point. Look at Brad Pitt in WWZ. Brad Pitt was basically an unemployed, ex-UN inspector, house dad, but when the ZPAW started he quickly moved up to a jet setting, top investigator.

Unfortunately my current career will not improve much if there is a zombie outbreak, but the good news is there is no "obligation" to go to work when the world is full of zombies. I'm betting there would be some serious upward mobility for those in Law Enforcement, the military, and in healthcare. You graduated medical school, great you are going to run the whole hospital. You were a cop, great you are going to be the Sherriff of this town. You were a Marine Sargent in Iraq, great your going to run the 2nd battalion now.

User avatar
Tater Raider
* * * * *
Posts: 6737
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:53 pm
Location: Meatworld

Re: What would you do? Zombie outbreak edition

Post by Tater Raider » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:37 pm

Mikeyboy wrote:I'm betting there would be some serious upward mobility for those in Law Enforcement, the military, and in healthcare. You graduated medical school, great you are going to run the whole hospital. You were a cop, great you are going to be the Sherriff of this town. You were a Marine Sargent in Iraq, great your going to run the 2nd battalion now.
You're a farmer. You just graduated to... farmer. :lol:

User avatar
firerat
* * *
Posts: 379
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:54 am
Location: South Florida

Re: What would you do? Zombie outbreak edition

Post by firerat » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:58 pm

Man I hope the zombies don't come while I'm at work. All my stuff is at home. :crazy:

I work in the middle of a large city. A shitty part of the large city at that.

I don't even like being around here when the sun goes down as it is.

I know just about every route out of this hole though. I do keep a GHB in my car which is literally right outside my office window.

This area gets gridlocked everyday during rush hour, so in ANY sort of emergency, I don't expect to get anywhere fast. In an extreme emergency, such as dead people rising up to make more dead people, I'm likely hoofing it. :crazy:

My main objective would be to get home. Yay, a 17 mile trek through an overcrowded city into overcrowded suburbs and then if I make it far enough west, another 18 miles skirting the everglades. (I've actually hiked most of the latter part of the journey, so this would be the "easy" part. :awesome: )

Once I get home it's either break for the inlaws a few miles down the road (much easy to fortify their place, plus emergency genny, shit tons of food stocks, etc.) or if things are too hairy, batten down the hatches.
"If someone with multiple personalities threatens suicide, is it a hostage situation?"

-George Carlin

User avatar
MacAttack
* * * * *
Posts: 2992
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:11 am

Re: What would you do? Zombie outbreak edition

Post by MacAttack » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:51 am

Wing it.

User avatar
strm_trpr
* *
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:54 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, Evil Dead, Dawn of the dead
Location: Front Range, Colorado
Contact:

Re: What would you do? Zombie outbreak edition

Post by strm_trpr » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:20 am

If it happened right now, this minute, first I would have to get home. I have a small GHB at work, I am about a 5 hour walk away from home, that would be goal one. Goal two is to bug in for as long as possible. I have about 72 hours worth of water, food and fuel I have more. I would have to start venturing out after that. But I have a good neighborhood with friendly neighbors. I would do my best to band my neighborhood together and try to make a go for it there. If everything went tits up then I would bug out to the family cabin, but that is in another neighborhood of cabins so it is not isolated.
"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me." ~Ayn Rand~

User avatar
Draco877
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:08 am

Re: What would you do? Zombie outbreak edition

Post by Draco877 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:57 pm

As it currently stands I would bug out to my dad's house as my current location would be unable to really defend or escape. This will change after my coming move. then maybe bug in at first then do the above.

User avatar
tedbeau
* * *
Posts: 587
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:08 am

Re: What would you do? Zombie outbreak edition

Post by tedbeau » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:26 am

NWDub wrote:Every situation is different, but typically I would bug in until I could not safely do so, and at that point (after the mass chaos has subsided) I would make my move during the night.

The stored fuel I have would be able to get me beyond the scope of most anyone, and there I would set up again. most likely on BLM land since there's so much of it here and nobody lives on it.

edit: I'm also in my mid 20s and live with roommates of the same age in a house with nothing I would have to look after
I agree that depending on the actual situation I can see where taking a little time to see what the trend is could be wise. It might be wise to hole up for a week if possible to see the government has a aerial dispensed Zombie cure/eradicator. Better to live off vending machine food for a week than to be killed in a mass panic for a bottle of water in your pocket!

Also NWdub mentioned moving at dark. I wonder if this is a good idea. Perhaps the Zombies are scent orientated and do not rely on vision as much as we do. I would hate to wander down a dark alley only to find it full of zombies I couldn't see.

Generally it safer to move about in large urban areas in the daylight than it is in the dark. Would that hold true in a zombie outbreak? If marshal law is instigated there might be a nighttime curfew.

Another advantage of waiting to get more information is that perhaps there will be news on the best way to defeat the zombies. Perhaps it will not be the generally expected head shot. Maybe it will only require water like the aliens in the movie "Signs". I'd hate to run past an abandoned fire truck only to later learn the zombie virus is not water resistant!

NWDub
* *
Posts: 116
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:59 pm

Re: What would you do? Zombie outbreak edition

Post by NWDub » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:14 pm

tedbeau wrote:
NWDub wrote:Every situation is different, but typically I would bug in until I could not safely do so, and at that point (after the mass chaos has subsided) I would make my move during the night.

The stored fuel I have would be able to get me beyond the scope of most anyone, and there I would set up again. most likely on BLM land since there's so much of it here and nobody lives on it.

edit: I'm also in my mid 20s and live with roommates of the same age in a house with nothing I would have to look after
I agree that depending on the actual situation I can see where taking a little time to see what the trend is could be wise. It might be wise to hole up for a week if possible to see the government has a aerial dispensed Zombie cure/eradicator. Better to live off vending machine food for a week than to be killed in a mass panic for a bottle of water in your pocket!

Also NWdub mentioned moving at dark. I wonder if this is a good idea. Perhaps the Zombies are scent orientated and do not rely on vision as much as we do. I would hate to wander down a dark alley only to find it full of zombies I couldn't see.

Generally it safer to move about in large urban areas in the daylight than it is in the dark. Would that hold true in a zombie outbreak? If marshal law is instigated there might be a nighttime curfew.

Another advantage of waiting to get more information is that perhaps there will be news on the best way to defeat the zombies. Perhaps it will not be the generally expected head shot. Maybe it will only require water like the aliens in the movie "Signs". I'd hate to run past an abandoned fire truck only to later learn the zombie virus is not water resistant!
I worry less about zombies and more about other people. I make my moves based on E&E. It's not the fastest way but don't sacrifice security for speed. I personally am all about keeping away from others, which is why I plan on being more than 1 tank of gas away from any populated area.

drop bear
* * *
Posts: 490
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:56 am

Re: What would you do? Zombie outbreak edition

Post by drop bear » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:24 pm

Bug out. My decision is about fresh water. I would need to be somewhere secure and near that.

There is a quarry near a river that is out of the way and has some sturdy buildings and I do security patrols there so I can get the keys to the place.

User avatar
Tater Raider
* * * * *
Posts: 6737
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:53 pm
Location: Meatworld

Re: What would you do? Zombie outbreak edition

Post by Tater Raider » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:23 am

I wouldn't move in the dark for a couple reasons:
  • Not being able to see well not only slows me down, it creates a situations where I could more easily be mistaken for either a zombie or someone who is up to no good.
  • Moving at first light (about half an hour before sunrise) allows me to be mobile from before people are even thinking of getting out of bed with enough light to see by and the ability to call it a day at the place of my choice while people are still moving, giving me prime real estate for a campsite.

Post Reply

Return to “What Would You Do?”