Attacked In Car, Car Won't Start!

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Neptune Glory
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Army of Darkness, The Crow (technically a Zombie!), Lost Boys (Vampires are Zombies, too!)

Attacked In Car, Car Won't Start!

Post by Neptune Glory » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:04 pm

Hi everyone,

Zombies are rushing, you are running... you make it to your car, get in and lock the door. Windows are up.

THE CAR WON'T START! Zombies start banging on the glass.

You reach for... (insert weapon here)

What would you want, in your car, in the passenger compartment, to deal with this? Must be something that can be stored / locked up in your vehicle's passenger compartment, that could take out 2-3 zombies and give you time to bail and run.
"When it comes to justifiable use of deadly force, you should seek to avoid confrontation, unless you have no choice and your life is on the line. This is easier to say than to do because it requires that you be calm and peace-loving throughout your life, but ready to use deadly force at any moment."

firerat

Re: Attacked In Car, Car Won't Start!

Post by firerat » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:27 pm

I don't mean to following you around the forum correcting you bud, but there is a forum called What Would You Do that would seem more appropriate for this thread.

To keep on topic though, a handgun seems to fit the criteria.

I mean I'd rather have a carbine of some sort, but that would be a bit tough to store in my passenger side of the car.
"If someone with multiple personalities threatens suicide, is it a hostage situation?"

-George Carlin

Neptune Glory
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Army of Darkness, The Crow (technically a Zombie!), Lost Boys (Vampires are Zombies, too!)

Post by Neptune Glory » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:35 pm

Oh, didn't know that existed!

If someone with super-privileges wants to move this topic, I'm okay with it.

Sorry!
-Neptune
"When it comes to justifiable use of deadly force, you should seek to avoid confrontation, unless you have no choice and your life is on the line. This is easier to say than to do because it requires that you be calm and peace-loving throughout your life, but ready to use deadly force at any moment."

Redeyes
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead 1968

Post by Redeyes » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:38 pm

Or Zombie Combat Tactics. On topic, my G19 would probably be what I would grab. Also eye and ear pro. Don't know how much time you would really have, window glass isn't that strong. You could also use a Tavor or SBR. All those things would let you shoot the zombies through the window without having to leave the car until they were deanimated.

Team Beards&Irons MilCopp 2013

Browning 35 for ZS President 2016. Make Zombie Squad Great Again!

CitizenZ

Post by CitizenZ » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:31 pm

Crawl through the back seat into the trunk.
"Victory awaits him who has everything in order, luck people call it. Defeat is certain for him who has neglected to take the necessary precautions in time; this is called bad luck"- The South Pole, Roald Amundsen - 1912

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:48 pm

Phrased as a "which handgun would you want to have in your vehicle for this situation," putting it in handguns does seem like a reasonable choice too. :awesome:

I'd say Glock 19 (or 23 w/ 9mm conversion), since that's what I'm most likely carrying if I'm carrying, and in that situation, I hope I'm carrying! :lol: I'm not enamored with the idea of leaving a handgun in a vehicle, but maybe some extra magazines?

And hearing protection. Definitely want some hearing protection. :shock:
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

Das Sheep

Post by Das Sheep » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:57 pm

Glock 19 probably, since I have one and it seems like something I might have with me.

firerat

Post by firerat » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:25 am

Mr. E. Monkey wrote:Phrased as a "which handgun would you want to have in your vehicle for this situation," putting it in handguns does seem like a reasonable choice too. :awesome:
Well, yeah, if it was phrased that way.

I'd imagine a handgun would be the obvious choice here, so a WHICH handgun thread seems appropriate in, well, handguns.
"If someone with multiple personalities threatens suicide, is it a hostage situation?"

-George Carlin

Neptune Glory

Post by Neptune Glory » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:56 am

How do you feel about a handgun chosen to specifically get through auto glass and still strike the zombie?

Is that a waste of money, or a legitimate concern?
-Neptune

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:15 am

I can't think of an ammo that would stop a Z and not pass through the glass of an automobile.

The only glass you need worry about is the laminated safety glass on the front and back of the vehicle.

The side glass will shatter and go totally away with the first shot.

Personally though I would wait until the Z's broke the glass themselves. If they are weak they may never get through. Seriously, how many times have we seen some drunk punch the side glass of a car and get nothing but a broken hand?

Das Sheep

Post by Das Sheep » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:12 pm

MacAttack wrote:I can't think of an ammo that would stop a Z and not pass through the glass of an automobile.

The only glass you need worry about is the laminated safety glass on the front and back of the vehicle.

The side glass will shatter and go totally away with the first shot.

Personally though I would wait until the Z's broke the glass themselves. If they are weak they may never get through. Seriously, how many times have we seen some drunk punch the side glass of a car and get nothing but a broken hand?
Angled glass can and does deflect bullets, even rifle rounds like the 5.56. Its a LOT more common with pistol bullets.

Its not super common though and I think that shooting from the inside out is less likely to see it happen than the outside in.

I would probably roll down the passanger side window and take those ones out first. You are going to be in a world of pain if you shoot a gun inside a car with the windows up.

ZomCon Sargeant
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (1978), Dead Snow, Fido, Night of the Living Dead (1968 & 1989), Day of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days Later, Return of the living Dead, and Shaun of the Dead.

Post by ZomCon Sargeant » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:13 pm

How about a Weatherby CFP in .243 and some hearing protection :lol:

Seriously I would just use my S&W M&P9c using RIP ammunition.

9mm RIP versus vehicle front windshield

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SECOqRY5pc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is a great debate over whether or not RIP ammo will actually penetrate a laminated windshield at a more vertical angle.
My point is that if the zombies were on your drivers side I believe this would still do the job nicely.
"ZomCon: A better life through containment"

Redeyes
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead 1968

Post by Redeyes » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:10 pm

Neptune Glory wrote:How do you feel about a handgun chosen to specifically get through auto glass and still strike the zombie?

Is that a waste of money, or a legitimate concern?
-Neptune
Just use a regular handgun that is reliable and you have plenty of practice with. Use a decent hollow point. One that has more than just flashy marketing behind it and is made by a company with a long track record of making excellent rounds. If you shoot through glass and the bullet deflects enough to miss the target you have still made a hole. In the case of everything but the windshield that will be a big hole. Keep shooting through the hole. If you only have time to get either eye pro or ear pro put on eye pro. Ringing ears aren't fun but glass in your eyes is a bigger problem.

Team Beards&Irons MilCopp 2013

Browning 35 for ZS President 2016. Make Zombie Squad Great Again!

drop bear

Post by drop bear » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:58 pm

Release the hand break roll the car.

Zombies would push it for you.

Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rev » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:05 am

Well, since we're effectively point blank I think a 9mm should do fine. I'm not shooting through metal. I already keep a G17 on me, so maybe just extra mags in the glovebox?
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=19895

FireEagle1071ad

Post by FireEagle1071ad » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:25 am

I would be using a Glock 23 as that is what I own. One day it might be a Glock 21 or a 23, but for now just the 23.
- Fire Eagle 107 Out

Glaine ár gcroí, neart ár ngéag agus beart de réir ár mbriathar

Though Heaven Should Fall, Let Justice Be Done

Neptune Glory

Post by Neptune Glory » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:37 pm

drop bear wrote:Release the hand break roll the car.

That's AWESOME, good call! So long as you can still steer...
-Neptune

LWJ2014
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Land of the Dead

Post by LWJ2014 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:10 pm

Well if I am stuck in my Escape and it won't turn over I do have an M&P 40 that I could use to take down 2-3 zombies. I would prefer to pop open the back trunk and lure them to the back of my vehicle so I can shoot outside and get clean shots, without taking out my windows and try to save some of my hearing.

drop bear

Post by drop bear » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:37 pm

Neptune Glory wrote:
drop bear wrote:Release the hand break roll the car.

That's AWESOME, good call! So long as you can still steer...
-Neptune

Well if you are getting mindlessly pushed and grappled with by zombies trying to get in the car. Even if you are not on a hill. There would likely be either forwards or backward force there.

As soon as the car starts rolling zombie will fall behind and be pushing the car still trying to get it.

I think the effect would become cumulative. More zombies at the rear (sort of) as the car moves faster.

The issue would be you would either go forwards or backwards depending on chance. But you should be creating space in which to escape. Or push start the car if it is a manual.

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:28 am

If the zombies can push me I can start the Jeep.

I love manual transmissions.

Wraith6761

Post by Wraith6761 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:11 pm

Depends on how many zombies and what type we're talking about here...most likely I have my XDs with me. If it's 3-4 zombies, get out on the side of the car with the fewest zombies hitting it (preferably bashing them with the car door at the same time --- gotta enjoy the little things), double tap the ones that are on that side, then reload as necessary and clear the other side of the car.*

*This assumes we're talking slow zombies...if we're talking fast WWZ/28 Days Later/Dawn of the Dead 04 remake zombie freaks, I'm pretty much already dead.
Woods Walker wrote:...I don't think it matters if a backpack has Dora the Explorer on it. Based on my observations from years of hunting and fishing if something looks and acts like prey it will draw in predators.

TTTcreo
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombie: The Dead are Among Us (1979)
Dawn of The Dead (2004)
28 Weeks Later (2007)
The Crazies (2010)

Post by TTTcreo » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:44 am

Hey! I'm making a short film about the very same situation, so I'm not telling you...
It's filmed and now we are mixing all the sound and composing the music. Just give me some time and I'll show you 8-)

strm_trpr
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, Evil Dead, Dawn of the dead

Post by strm_trpr » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:11 am

Due to the poor performance of most 9mm loads through auto glass I would pick a heavy weight 40 load out of a Glock 23 or a bonded 45acp load out of a hk45c. Rounds that are not bonded and that rely heavily on velocity for terminal ballistics do poorly throug intermediate barriers like sheet metal, glass, walls. One of the worst choices would be .223 due to deflection and loss of velocity. A big heavy bonded projectile will do the best. If you are stuck with 9mm FMJ would actually work better through auto glass. In fact FMJ is one of the best things for zombies, JHP is effective for creating large wounds for exsanguination. This is not a goal for zombie combat.
"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me." ~Ayn Rand~

drop bear

Post by drop bear » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:05 am

strm_trpr wrote:Due to the poor performance of most 9mm loads through auto glass I would pick a heavy weight 40 load out of a Glock 23 or a bonded 45acp load out of a hk45c. Rounds that are not bonded and that rely heavily on velocity for terminal ballistics do poorly throug intermediate barriers like sheet metal, glass, walls. One of the worst choices would be .223 due to deflection and loss of velocity. A big heavy bonded projectile will do the best. If you are stuck with 9mm FMJ would actually work better through auto glass. In fact FMJ is one of the best things for zombies, JHP is effective for creating large wounds for exsanguination. This is not a goal for zombie combat.

I assume you would crack the window and not just shoot through it.

Return to “What Would You Do?”