What would you do...with your tax return?!

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Das Sheep

What would you do...with your tax return?!

Post by Das Sheep » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:25 pm

Hey everyone!

Its tax season and most of us are filing out taxes!

So what are you all planning to do with your tax money, prep wise?

I am personally thinking about investing in a bigger safe (that can be bolted to my garage floor) or maybe getting really nice tent so I can convince my lady friend to even consider going camping with me.

BigKahunaFL
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: What would you do...with your tax return?!

Post by BigKahunaFL » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:15 pm

Hopefully get my car fixed/running, so I can find a job, so I can pay the rent, and maybe, just maybe, put some food on the table. I've been using up my stored foods for over a month now, and there getting a bit lower than I would've liked them to go. good thing i was pre-prepped! :)

Sins

Post by Sins » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:25 pm

If you're getting a return substantial enough to buy anything of value, I suggest you prep your taxes better next year.
Prepping for unlikely events also includes prepping for stolen tax returns. Which happens more and more every year.
I'd rather give my money to a bank to hold each paycheck and pay my taxes from that savings than give my money to the IRS and count on that to be my savings

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:39 pm

Sins wrote:If you're getting a return substantial enough to buy anything of value, I suggest you prep your taxes better next year.
Prepping for unlikely events also includes prepping for stolen tax returns. Which happens more and more every year.
I'd rather give my money to a bank to hold each paycheck and pay my taxes from that savings than give my money to the IRS and count on that to be my savings
This is the best advice so far. Seriously a tax refund is an interest free loan that you can access only once a year and on the IRS' schedule.

I understand some people have trouble saving and they view a tax refund as a savings plan/splurge fund, That said you can do exactly the same thing by adjusting your withholding to ensure your taxes paid and get the extra cash put into another account that you ignore, but ia available to you at any time.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:44 pm

raptor wrote:
Sins wrote:If you're getting a return substantial enough to buy anything of value, I suggest you prep your taxes better next year.
This is the best advice so far. Seriously a tax refund is an interest free loan that you can access only once a year and on the IRS' schedule.

I understand some people have trouble saving and they view a tax refund as a savings plan/splurge fund, That said you can do exactly the same thing by adjusting your withholding to ensure your taxes paid and get the extra cash put into another account that you ignore, but ia available to you at any time.
Sure. OTOH, I get wierd tax bills every year due to a somewhat unique financial situation. I found out in September I'm likely going to owe about $3k more than I thought. I tend to overpay a bit just in case.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Das Sheep

Post by Das Sheep » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:00 pm

Education tax credit (Night classes /Online classes to become an RN). I don't know how much I will spend on school over the year, and DFAS automatically takes out my taxes. :/ So I can't do a withholding, and I get several grand back.

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:02 pm

I agree that everyone should have their witholdings dialed in so the IRS isn't holding a big wad for you.

Depending on how you perceive your SHTF scenario I recommend the rule of thirds. Spend 1/3, save 1/3 and invest 1/3 of any windfall.

Paying down or paying off credit card debt is the best use of any windfall. 29% interest is just short of usury. Zeroing out credit card debt is almost like having a 29% return on investment.

My last bit of unsolicited financial advice is the acronym SLY when it comes to investment.

Security - How safe is it? A $100,000 U.S savings bond vs jojoba bean futures
Liquidity - How easily can you turn it into cash. Your checking account vs that $100K bond that matures in 30 years.
Yield - What is the return (payoff) on investment. Apple stock didn't look so brilliant in 1999 at $2.69 a share. But safe investments get you 3%.

The riskier or less liquid the investment instrument, the higher the yield.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:59 pm

Stick it in the bank to go toward the $5,172 we have to pay a year for health insurance.
Gee - you thought old people got it for free, didn't you?
We used to think so too.

Prep for it, folks!
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

mariposa

Post by mariposa » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:36 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
raptor wrote:

Sure. OTOH, I get wierd tax bills every year due to a somewhat unique financial situation. I found out in September I'm likely going to owe about $3k more than I thought. I tend to overpay a bit just in case.
I've had to fight with the IRS myself (once due to someone else claiming EIC on my child, and once due to their own bad advice), so I tend to keep my withholdings high. Even when I had to give the IRS over $1,400, due to following their help line's bad advice, my high withholdings provided for that. I was able to pay them back immediately. I normally use part of my tax refund to refresh my hurricane/disaster kit.

ArmchairRacer

Post by ArmchairRacer » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:48 am

It's going to go toward my saving to get a classic car to restore/mod (will be sure to do a build thread in transportation forum). I keep with holdings high because paying them money sucks, and I know I'll spend any extra money on each paycheck; I really need to get better with financial discipline .

veamon

Post by veamon » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:51 pm

Return? What's that? I'm paying for freeloader's healthcare, and anything else the government wants to give out to win votes.

fred.greek

Post by fred.greek » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:17 pm

You folks do realize that getting a tax "refund" means you deposited too much throughout the year, and gave the politicians an interest-free loan… If you get a refund, adjust your withholding so YOU have the money during the year, put it in some savings / investment account, and be ready to make a payment at tax time…

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:28 pm

As I have posted on this type of thread before:
I would much rather give the government an interest-free loan, than a bank.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:47 pm

Vegas, baby! Vegaaaaasss! :lol:

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Post by Caenus » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:53 pm

A portion of my income is not taxed at the time I receive it. Therefore I try to estimate what those taxes will be and have my regular income job taxed to offset. I usually get pretty close, only $200-$300 either way. IF I get a return, I consider that money "fun money" as it is not counted on and other preps/investments go on their own budgets. This year however, a planned "fun prep" (mostly because I only plan on using it for camping, but if pressed it could be useful in a power outage), is a 180 ah home brew solar generator. Using two Interstate batteries I've already purchased (50% off, couldn't pass the deal up), that leaves a couple solar panels and something to house the inverter and charge controller.

If I get a return, that's what it'll be.
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:00 pm

Not really sure. My having just graduated from college and landing in a pretty high paying job for half a year getting taxed like I was making the whole year's salary has left me with a substantial refund this year, like 5k substantial...

Probably going to put most of it towards my car loan and kick in a bit towards my sister's honeymoon.

Shiloh
Favorite Zombie Movies: -Zombieland
-Dead snow
-28 days/weeks/months later

Post by Shiloh » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:06 pm

I probably won't get a whole lot back, but it's probably going to go towards a new shotgun (or other long gun) and some ammo.
Amateur radio operator - KG7QEL

Tactical furry.

DannusMaximus
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by DannusMaximus » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:29 pm

fred.greek wrote:You folks do realize that getting a tax "refund" means you deposited too much throughout the year, and gave the politicians an interest-free loan… If you get a refund, adjust your withholding so YOU have the money during the year, put it in some savings / investment account, and be ready to make a payment at tax time…
Meh. I prefer to know I am getting a return then have to guess how much I may end up needing to write a check for on April 15th.

We'll be putting our return money towards a white picket fence. Seriously. The better to contain our 2 first line zombie alert systems (aka, mutts...).
Holmes: "You have arms, I suppose?
Watson: "Yes, I thought it as well to take them."
Holmes: "Most certainly! Keep your revolver near you night and day, and never relax your precautions..."

- The Hound of the Baskervilles

doc savage
Favorite Zombie Movies: no favorite yet.
does resident evil count? :)

Post by doc savage » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:45 pm

it's all going for ammo... I have everything else covered.

zkiller90
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, world war z.

Post by zkiller90 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:59 am

Going towards some tires for my truck. Then either a dpms panther a3 223/5.56 flat top or a tristar t120 9mm

Dragon80
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later and Dawn of the Dead

Post by Dragon80 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:08 am

I'm getting some stupid education credit which isn't much but only a bit of it is going toward an Instapark 10 Watt solar panel and a Princeton Tec Fred.
BOB also used for backpacking
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=114606

GHB dedicated thread in need of serious updating!!!
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=112108

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:27 pm

Finishing my AR and then...saving the rest I guess...
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:36 pm

What's a tax refund? Haven't seen one of those in a loooooong time! I can look forward to sending a big fat check to Uncle Sam though. I die a little bit inside every time I fill out a check to the IRS.
The Devil's always smiling when I pass by.

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:27 pm

Maverick299 wrote:What's a tax refund? Haven't seen one of those in a loooooong time! I can look forward to sending a big fat check to Uncle Sam though. I die a little bit inside every time I fill out a check to the IRS.
This.

Return to “What Would You Do?”