You just lost your Bug Out Bag

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Wolfram

You just lost your Bug Out Bag

Post by Wolfram » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:48 pm

You dropped it on the run, it was swiped from under you while you slept, or it was taken from you at gunpoint. Either way, its gone and there's no way of getting it back.

From a scale of 1 to 10, how upset are you?
Post-Apocalypse Hobo, Handyman, and Artisan.

aus.templar

Re: You just lost your Bug Out Bag

Post by aus.templar » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:26 am

I answer your question with another question... on a scale of 1 to 10, how fucked am I without it?

Funnily enough, your answer is my answer :wink:
shrapnel wrote:Shut the fuck up, you'll meet me and you'll like me or I'll fucking cut you. :twisted:
SMoAF wrote: I collect foodstuffs so that I can stay alive long enough to exhaust my ammo supply.
jamoni wrote: You win. I hope it helps you get chicks.
And on the eighth day Man forged a knife and took survival into his own hands.

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:39 am

On a scale of 1-10? Meh.

I mean it's gone. I'll have to accept and move forward.

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:25 am

Guess it's a good thing there's a PSK in my pocket. I wanted new gear anyway! :D

LyraJean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (Sidney Poitier)
Shaun of the Dead
ZombieLand

Post by LyraJean » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:29 am

How far away am I from bug out location? Do I have my car? There are so many factors. I think part of being prepared is to take this into consideration. Cargo pants anyone?
My blog: Beyond Tourism: Florida's Yesteryear A blog about Florida History

itzybitzyspyder
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living DeadBoth), Dawn of the Dead(both, 28 Days Later, the crappy ones on SyFy channel, B movies

Post by itzybitzyspyder » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:07 pm

The question is seemingly simple, but due to lack of specific variables in your scenario I'm left being obliged to answer all the questions you didn't ask. If it was swiped while I was sleeping do I still have my tent and bag? If taken at gunpoint am I forced to turn out my pockets? If I left it at home am I allowed to go back for it? Is this a local disaster or a disater on a national level? Is the power still on? The fact that your question doesn't take these things and more into consideration leads me to believe that you put too much value on your bag and not enough on other preps. I could be wrong though.
~sent via pigeon with a note on it's foot

LastBoyScout
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: South Sacramento at night when view from a patrol car.

Post by LastBoyScout » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:22 pm

First

tzybitzyspyder Cool dog.

Well I have had my kit taken before. They got my kit and my car.

Had my vehicle stolen while working. on a scale of one to ten more like twenty.

But I did not need the kit for that it was disigned for but it would have helped. Part of my kit is a change of clothing in a seperate bag. So they I was 120 miles from home in a suit and tie and what I had in my pockets. Which included a Glock 22 and spare mags (required for work) and several flashlights (required by me) and knives.

Most important thing I had was my cell phone and a credit card so I called Enterprise and they picked me up and got me a car.

Vehicle was recovered totaled and since I had insurance I was compensated for the most part for the vehicle and items lost. It helped that I had a list of what was in my kit and other parts of the vehicle. I did miss a few thing and for the next year I would be looking for something only to relize it was in the car at the time of the theft.

Miss a lot of the stuff but had to really fight with my home owners insurance that I had that many flashlight in the car and other gear.I was lucky as I can write off a lot of gear for my work and had receipts for the items. Some were old and i did not have receipts and will never see them again or be able to replace them.

Anyway that is my real world loss. Anyone who says they are not pissed has never had anything really taken from them.

And yes I had an alarm that I paid good money for and I made a claim against them and they paid as well. Just my decuctable.

LastBoyScout

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.

Helen Keller
LastBoyscout

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.

Helen Keller

An unloaded gun is a pourly balanced club.

Lynn C. Thompson to me over dinner.

Redacted

Post by Redacted » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:12 pm

I have had two stolen.

One from my truck and one from my house.

How pissed was I? If I had caught the thief in either case I would have killed him.

I still keep an eye out for those bags on craigslist and in pawn shops, this was two years ago.
Are we not drawn onward, we few, drawn onward to new era?

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:09 pm

My "how fucked are you?" scale goes to eleven.

Wolfram

Post by Wolfram » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:36 am

To Scout and Redacted, that sucks big time. From the sounds of it, maybe a vehicle is not the best place to stash your bug-o-bag?
itzybitzyspyder wrote:The question is seemingly simple, but due to lack of specific variables in your scenario I'm left being obliged to answer all the questions you didn't ask. If it was swiped while I was sleeping do I still have my tent and bag? If taken at gunpoint am I forced to turn out my pockets? If I left it at home am I allowed to go back for it? Is this a local disaster or a disater on a national level? Is the power still on? The fact that your question doesn't take these things and more into consideration leads me to believe that you put too much value on your bag and not enough on other preps. I could be wrong though.
How about let say you were climbing a wall with a horde of reanimated corpses below your feet, and it dropped. There's no way of getting it back, because behind that horde are a hundred more hordes pouring out from the city you use to live in. There is no going home, and you had been forced to abandon your vehicle early on. Let say what you have left is exactly what's in your pockets at the moment reading this. Major government agencies are overwhelmed, law and order nonexistent, and urban areas are turning into death zones. Assume every storefront in a 10 mile radius has been looted, and the roads are packed with refugees fleeing alongside you. Power is still on, but brownouts are common, the grid could failed within the next few days. Terrain is wherever region you're living at right now.

And I don't really have a bug out bag,...yet. I like to think I'm better off improvising from my immediate surroundings than lunging around something I might not get to keep, as par my question. Knowledge is the only thing I can depend on to keep if I'm on the run from danger. But of course, having some matches and a flashlight prepared can't hurt. I bring out the question exactly to see how much people here are dependent on their bug-out-bag in their survival plan.
Post-Apocalypse Hobo, Handyman, and Artisan.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:15 am

Wolfram wrote:How about let say you were climbing a wall with a horde of reanimated corpses below your feet, and it dropped. There's no way of getting it back, because behind that horde are a hundred more hordes pouring out from the city you use to live in. There is no going home, and you had been forced to abandon your vehicle early on. Let say what you have left is exactly what's in your pockets at the moment reading this. Major government agencies are overwhelmed, law and order nonexistent, and urban areas are turning into death zones. Assume every storefront in a 10 mile radius has been looted, and the roads are packed with refugees fleeing alongside you. Power is still on, but brownouts are common, the grid could failed within the next few days. Terrain is wherever region you're living at right now.

And I don't really have a bug out bag,...yet. I like to think I'm better off improvising from my immediate surroundings than lunging around something I might not get to keep, as par my question. Knowledge is the only thing I can depend on to keep if I'm on the run from danger. But of course, having some matches and a flashlight prepared can't hurt. I bring out the question exactly to see how much people here are dependent on their bug-out-bag in their survival plan.
I choose eat a bullet. Starvation sucks, and there's not much to live for in the global apocalypse.

I think decided not to build a bug out bag is ludicrous. IF the only thing you prepare for is zombies and the end of the world, then whatever. But not having a bag with some clothes, ID, food/water, and insurance/supporting documentation to grab in a house fire, or when escaping a natural or man-made disaster in the infinitely more likely non-apocalyptic scenarios is nigh-on ridiculous.

Example:
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 2&t=110542

Or Katrina 2.0 is coming, or there's a fire on the block, or an earthquake, or an apocalyptic snowstorm, flooding, rioting, bankruptcy, tornado, job loss, etc. Zombies aren't real and neither is the apocalypse. On that note, we should probably rework the "How To Build Your Bug Out Bag" thread, since it's almost entirely built around the five essentials. Okay fire, food, fluids, flares, and I don't have a clever F for shelter are good to have, but in a house fire it's way easier to go to a Motel Six or your brother's house or whatever. Fire starters ain't much good when you're tryign to egt an insurance payout to repair your roof.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

itzybitzyspyder
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living DeadBoth), Dawn of the Dead(both, 28 Days Later, the crappy ones on SyFy channel, B movies

Post by itzybitzyspyder » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:38 am

Wolfram wrote:To Scout and Redacted, that sucks big time. From the sounds of it, maybe a vehicle is not the best place to stash your bug-o-bag?
itzybitzyspyder wrote:The question is seemingly simple, but due to lack of specific variables in your scenario I'm left being obliged to answer all the questions you didn't ask. If it was swiped while I was sleeping do I still have my tent and bag? If taken at gunpoint am I forced to turn out my pockets? If I left it at home am I allowed to go back for it? Is this a local disaster or a disater on a national level? Is the power still on? The fact that your question doesn't take these things and more into consideration leads me to believe that you put too much value on your bag and not enough on other preps. I could be wrong though.
How about let say you were climbing a wall with a horde of reanimated corpses below your feet, and it dropped. There's no way of getting it back, because behind that horde are a hundred more hordes pouring out from the city you use to live in. There is no going home, and you had been forced to abandon your vehicle early on. Let say what you have left is exactly what's in your pockets at the moment reading this. Major government agencies are overwhelmed, law and order nonexistent, and urban areas are turning into death zones. Assume every storefront in a 10 mile radius has been looted, and the roads are packed with refugees fleeing alongside you. Power is still on, but brownouts are common, the grid could failed within the next few days. Terrain is wherever region you're living at right now.

Since the simulation can't be won I'll reprogram it.
~sent via pigeon with a note on it's foot

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:01 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:On that note, we should probably rework the "How To Build Your Bug Out Bag" thread, since it's almost entirely built around the five essentials. Okay fire, food, fluids, flares, and I don't have a clever F for shelter are good to have, but in a house fire it's way easier to go to a Motel Six or your brother's house or whatever. Fire starters ain't much good when you're tryign to egt an insurance payout to repair your roof.
Good points. There's a big emphasis on the total apocalypse bug out. I think a lot of people might benefit if we broaden the disaster spectrum.

Pineslayer
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am Legend, Zombieland, plus all the classics from my warped childhood.

Post by Pineslayer » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:39 pm

I would make my way home and make a big stiff drink to keep from reaching 11 on the PO'd scale.
If that was not possible, I would beat the crap out of the first Republican or Democrat that I came across for causing this situation and take their stuff.
OK that might be a little harsh, but I have to blame someone for my stupidity in allowing my gear to be lost or stolen.

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:51 pm

Poof! And there goes another nice thread. :roll:

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:18 pm

Pineslayer wrote:I would make my way home and make a big stiff drink to keep from reaching 11 on the PO'd scale.
If that was not possible, I would beat the crap out of the first Republican or Democrat that I came across for causing this situation and take their stuff.
OK that might be a little harsh, but I have to blame someone for my stupidity in allowing my gear to be lost or stolen.
The best way to learn is to look at yourself first. "What did I do wrong that I can learn from?"

Violating forum rules would be one.

It would suck to lose my bug-out bag. It would suck less if my wife still had hers.
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:47 am

I would be more upset on how I lost it than if I lost it.

If I forgot it I would be VERY upset, if someone got the drop on me and stole it at gun point I wouldn't be to upset, if I dropped it off a cliff I would be pretty upset.

But in no case would I loose control and scream and rant about it.
Its just time to drop back and punt.

101airborne

Post by 101airborne » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:44 pm

under the two "reasons" for losing my bag posted at first, stolen from under me while sleeping OR stolen at gunpoint, Well I couldn't be pissed because if I let either happen the I deserve to lose it. But in all honesty I don't see either one happening and I'm still alive. I don't claim to being a bada** but I will defend what's mine. But back to the question, real life no zombie attack stuff, depending on where I am and what time of year it is I think I could still survive, out side of my BOB I carry on me in pockets and vest I wear.

On me
Taurus PT 24/7 9mm with 17 round loaded mags in a foxX inside waist band conceal holster
2 xtra 17 round mags in a foxX inside waistband carrier
swiss army knife
2--3 bic lighters
gerber multi tool
small blast match on key chain
150' of para cord between braclet and belt
sting 6" boot knife in leg sheath
small sure fire flashlight
kersaw 3" folding knife
small notepad, ( pages can be shreadded for tinder to start fire)
waterproof match container full of "lint" to help start fire
wear clothing to suit weather

In vest
small handheld GPS as well as a compass
couple of better quality space blankets
couple of small game snares
altiods tin with small first aid kit
another altoids tin with emergency fishing gear
2 more spare mags for the Taurus
2 small aluminum foil baking pans folded up ( for boiling water or cooking)
bottle of water purification tablets
small water bladder folded up
small plastic container of aleve for pain
couple of cliff bars and 5-6 slim jim type sticks
Yaesu VX-6 ham radio and small solar charger
While not enough for long term survival I could in a pinch get by until I can get somewhere to additional supplies,

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by absinthe beginner » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:16 pm

Fate and chance get the final say.

LastBoyScout
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: South Sacramento at night when view from a patrol car.

Post by LastBoyScout » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:25 pm

Wolfram

The reason I carry a bug out bag in my car is that is the most likely place for me to be when I need it or near my car when a event happens.

I work away from home and do not have a "job site" where I work. Sometimes I am close to home (Sacramento CA) or sometimes I could be 500 miles away.

Most of the time I am in the Bay Area of San Francisco which as you may know is prone to earthquakes. That is the reason I always carry my bag or should I say Kit as it is more then one bag and I have gear for my wife as well in case she is with me or I am with another of my team who is not as prepared.

The idea of not prepping is ok but not the purpose of this site IMHO.

My bug out from my house would be helped with my bag from my car which is always parked in my garage which is both locked and alarmed.

As I ZS member I am not only thinking about Zombies.

LastBoyScout

Helen Keller
LastBoyscout

Helen Keller

An unloaded gun is a pourly balanced club.

Lynn C. Thompson to me over dinner.

Cedar

Post by Cedar » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:36 pm

BOB stolen?

What would I do? In my life, if I get lemons, I make lemonaide. Keep going where I am going, salvage anything I can I might be able to carry as a '10 essential' and hopefully make it to my destination.

Never know. Sometimes it might be a blessing in disguise.

Cedar

Apathy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Open grave

Post by Apathy » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:29 pm

If my BOB was stolen at gunpoint on my way to one of my BOL I would mostly be grateful that I was not shot. I could easily make it to my primary BOL as long I was in good health and had proper clothing. I assume that the bushwhackers/highwaymen also took my gun, cell, wallet, pocket knife, and survival kit. So I would be unhappy if it was cold outside. But I should still make it under a day if it is not too dangerous, longer if more rapscallions are about.

My BOB and gun are not my primary concerns if it's snowy. If someone was evil enough to take my boots, I would just as soon get shot fighting them.
Liebe läßt sich suchen, finden,
Niemals lernen, oder lehren,
Wer da will die Flamm' entzünden
Ohne selbst sich zu verzehren,

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:57 pm

Boondock wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:On that note, we should probably rework the "How To Build Your Bug Out Bag" thread, since it's almost entirely built around the five essentials. Okay fire, food, fluids, flares, and I don't have a clever F for shelter are good to have, but in a house fire it's way easier to go to a Motel Six or your brother's house or whatever. Fire starters ain't much good when you're tryign to egt an insurance payout to repair your roof.
Good points. There's a big emphasis on the total apocalypse bug out. I think a lot of people might benefit if we broaden the disaster spectrum.
This is why I'm building 2-3 different bags

I've got my normal bug out bag...that is meant for the most likely scenarios (fire, earthquake, volcano). It has documents, extra clothes (duplicates of my favorite jeans/t-shirts/flannel button down), extra footwear, USB with pictures/important info, money, basic survival items, food etc. Items that most likely ill use in my car or a hotel or what not. But have the ability to survive in the woods if need be. Pretty much big and small duffle bags thrown in my truck.

I've got my woods BOB that I use for my camping/hiking/backing trips, SAR, and woods excursions. Ability to throw in a couple extra pair of clothes and USB's, or augment its defense capability by adding more ammo

Then I've got my weekend warrior pack. I don't know what im dealing with so...lots of ammo, medical supplies and the normal 7 days of food/shelter/survival stuff

Throw in my Truck box with three days of food/water, my GHB behind my seat and im good to go. for any disaster.

I can combine these packs for my INCH set up.
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

manowar1313

Post by manowar1313 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:06 pm

Fun fact, BOB v1.0 got stolen out of my truck. Guys dumped it out in an ally about 3 blocks away, took the cheap rambo knife but left everything else.
I was a 1 on actual stuff lost but a 10 on pissed off. Sucks to have things stolen, sucks more when they break your window and only steal a $15 knife and my radio with a cassette... SOB cut the wiring harness instead of using the disconnect.

Point being... Doesn't matter if it's my BOB or my Gatorade in the work fridge, always a 10 and yes I will murder whoever took it. I have a shovel in my car to hide the body.
Anyone wanting to talk sh*t about my guns needs to remember I'm holding a gun.

Return to “What Would You Do?”