How would you give away a TV?

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

How would you give away a TV?

Post by BullOnParade » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:41 pm

I know that it's good form to be inconspicuous when you are bringing in high end electronics. Leaving a new TV box at the curb just yells "there is a hardly used television at this address, these are it's specs, and you can probably carry it out yourself!" to thieves. But what about getting rid of your old television?

I know that I am getting a new TV from my folks for my birthday, which is soon approaching. I currently have a 27" flat screen CRT. It was top of the line when I bought it, I treated myself after my first real job back in grade 9. Now it's time for it to go, but I don't think it's trash worthy just yet. I put a notice up on Facebook, I don't care if my friends know there will be a new tv here, and I don't have my address on Facebook, so even if an ill minded acquaintance knows I have a new TV, it's low risk. But I want to get rid of it ASAP, and a lot of people in my social circle already have made the switch to flat screens.

I live in an apartment building of roughly 500 apartments. I could simply put a notice up in the building lobby with my phone number, If someone calls, I can take it to them rather than have them come to me.

Any other ideas on how to dispose of a television that isn't ready for trash yet?
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: How would you give away a TV?

Post by raptor » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:10 pm

Just bring the old tv to the Salvation Army or some other worthy charity.

Phoenix David
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am legend, Omega man

Post by Phoenix David » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:06 am

raptor wrote:Just bring the old tv to the Salvation Army or some other worthy charity.
Sure you could do that, you could also play secret Santa and put a bow on it and give to one of your neighbors. Just make sure it's at night so your secret identity is safe. :clap:

Think of the joy and wonderment it would bring to a neighbor. Ring..Ring..They open the door and there is a gift of a TV
Nobody ever wishes they brought a smaller gun to a gun fight

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:19 am

I want it to end up with someone who can use it. If I give it to a random neighbour who already has an hd tv, it's liable to end up in the trash. And if I leave it on the curb it's liable to end up damaged by elements or bored youth.

Salvation Army or Value Village will probably get it tonight or tomorrow after work, unless a Facebook friend shows interest.
Last edited by BullOnParade on Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:09 am

I say leave it on the curb or common area with a note that says Free TV (works). Stuff like that has a way of disappearing immediately around here.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:55 am

crypto wrote:I say leave it on the curb or common area with a note that says Free TV (works). Stuff like that has a way of disappearing immediately around here.
+1 to that or the Salvation Army/Goodwill/charity route. I live in a suburbs and I can't tell you how many times I put something out front of my house with a "free" sign and it disappears within a day. Heck I put out a dining room set and it was gone the next morning. Just check the forecast to make sure its not going to rain.

Not to be a smartass, but if you want to avoid having criminals know you have a new TV I don't think putting an ad up in your lobby with you phone # to check out the old TV is a good idea either.

My advice is if you buy anything electronic or expensive that has a big box, cut up the box into smaller pieces and throw it in the regular trash in a dark trash bag, or in the recycling bin in a paper bag or non descript box.

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:01 am

Put it in front of someones house you do not like.

With the free TV sign.

Let everyone think they got a new big screen.

Redeyes
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead 1968

Post by Redeyes » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:26 pm

MacAttack wrote:Put it in front of someones house you do not like.

With the free TV sign.

It is really hard to tell when someone is joking through text. I really hope you were joking. Setting someone up for a potential violent home invasion is a gigantic dick move. Maybe use a smiley next time.

Team Beards&Irons MilCopp 2013

Browning 35 for ZS President 2016. Make Zombie Squad Great Again!

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:40 pm

Redeyes wrote:

With the free TV sign.

It is really hard to tell when someone is joking through text. I really hope you were joking. Setting someone up for a potential violent home invasion is a gigantic dick move. Maybe use a smiley next time.

Last edited by Mikeyboy on Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

wamba
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Zombieland, & Walking Dead (if that counts).

Post by wamba » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:30 pm

With the free TV sign.

I actually laughed out loud at this. My wife & I recently upgraded two of our TVs & joked about putting the boxes in front of a certain thieving low lifes home.
Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it, & you can bet they'll whine that nobody warned them.

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:35 am

Why do people think an old TV on the curb in front of a house is a call sign for thieves?

Since when did they need anything more than the fact you have a home? Or a 40 thousand dollar car parked in front? Or its in a good neighborhood?

And for those who live in bad neighborhoods. How often have you heard of someone getting robbed for nothing more than a 20 year old TV and 20 bucks in a change jar?

i have heard of someone breaking into a home and trashing it only to end up taking the food out of the fridge.

Thieves don't need invitations. They need deterrents.

And yes I guess i do need to add a smiley once in a while around here.

FrANkNstEin

Post by FrANkNstEin » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:51 am

One surefire way to attract all the wrong folk is giving it away for free. (unless you give it away to friends/known decent People)

Put a note up in your appartment building "Selling good working TV for 50$ + Picture". If someone Shows up who Needs a 50$ TV, you can still give it to them for free.

That way, you can at least weed out the low lifes scrounging up free shit like that to flip for drug money and the chances of it going to someone who really appreciates it are higher.

OR: why don´t you try a pawn shop? IF you can find one that will take it at all of course, i guess it could be hard but worth a try. Pawn it for $$ without the Intention of ever getting it back. :awesome: That way it will be gone without you announcing to the world you got a brand new TV worth stealing.

ArmchairRacer

Post by ArmchairRacer » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:53 pm

Put it inside the entrance of your apartment building, right by the door that everyone comes in and out through with a free sign, it'll be gone in 20 minutes and nobody will know which apartment it came from.

feedthedog

Post by feedthedog » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:12 pm

Goodwill or DAV are probably the best idea. They'll use to support other charitable stuff.

As an aside, nobody steals TVs around here anymore. They take laptops, guns, jewelry, and stuff like that. I'm not sure if the market is better for that stuff, or if a tv is just too bulky to move.

As an aside to an aside, I knew of a bar that used epoxy to attach razor blades to the bottom of their flatscreens. They had been robbed previously and we're pretty angry about it.... Sometime later, they found a blood trail in the parking lot that led to the kicked in back door, and eventually to one of their TVs that was sitting on the floor. Not that I would advocate that particular method, but it seemed to be pretty effective.

Return to “What Would You Do?”