How would you bug out if you only had the regular things?

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

How would you bug out if you only had the regular things?

Post by Beowolf » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:05 am

Another late-night musing...

Imagine you're not a prepper or survivalist. You hear of some impending disaster coming your direction--epidemic, marauding hordes, zombie masses, mega-storm--whatever it is, you believe it requires that you leave your home within 1-2 hours and that you're not coming back. Again, let's imagine that you don't have that tacticool BOB, EDC, INCH bag, etc.--what you have are your regular, run-of-the-mill things many people have. Let's say you have a (common enough) handgun, rifle, and/or shotgun and a few hundred rounds for each. Let's say you have basic to intermediate camping gear (you could survive for up to four or five days without restocking or needing something you don't have with you). You have your usual stocks of clothing covering warm summer and cold winter months. You have a vehicle. You can be solo or with partner/spouse/family as you so choose to run the scenario.

What regular things that your relatively average person might have in their possession would you gather in a panic to protect you and survive the potential EOTWAWKI? How would you make your exit? Much of this would be AO specific, so include enough details to make your approach viable and realistic. Again, imagine if you weren't a prepper but had the mental fortitude to think quickly enough to GTFO in a short period of time. Presume, also, that others have the same information that you have (disaster hitting within 1-2 hours). If you have non-regular/average skills, sweet. But put yourself in a position where you don't have the AR-15 with the red dot or the pre-packed BOB.

--My reason for this little WWYD scenario is to imagine how some of us might adequately combine what we already have with what we realize we lack if a real SHTF situation came about. I know many of us are in the midst of trying to afford and accumulate enough things to cover our butts, but such preparation takes time and money that we don't have at our disposal at the moment. So if we imagine starting from step 1, how would we make do with what the normal person might have in their apartment or home? For example, I have a good deal of leather motorcycle gear (chaps, pants, jackets, vest, gloves) that I would quickly evaluate for purposes of bodily protection as well as supply storage. I have a tent, sleeping bag, 8'x8' tarp, and camping hatchet. I also have nice, light but warm blankets. In an hour or two, I could evaluate how much of what I would need in order to hopefully survive the impending apocalypse. Remember, you're expecting that you can't come back home, so this is your only chance for easy access to supplies and equipment. Your life depends on what you choose.

So--what would you do?
Last edited by Beowolf on Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: How would you but out if you only had the regular things

Post by BullOnParade » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:51 am

1-2 hours to egress, grab that camping backpack and throw as many "supplies" as you can think of. Clothes, food, water, (ammo, gun, if you feel you should). The problem is that if you're not of a preparedness mindset, you won't have things like a water filter, or lightweight food. Probably grab too much or too little clothing, and almost definitely forget things like useful tools (knife, flashlight, maps, compass).
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

Ten Eight

Post by Ten Eight » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:11 am

If I'm a non prepper, I'm grabbing my computer, phone, credit card, cash, insurance info, pistol, and I'm gone. 90% of the time that's all you need anyway. Walmart Jansport backpack with a laptop, phone, 10k cash, and a Glock.
"You don't understand! I coulda' had class. I coulda' been a contender. I coulda' been somebody instead of a bum, which is what I am."

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:05 am

This is a difficult mental exercise, because we're going to think like preppers. We condition and train our brains to think of things we need in certain scenarios. A person who hasn't thought of these things ahead of time are likely to freeze up, take twice as long to decide what they should pack, overpack, and forget things.

A prepper has thought of the scenarios they could possibly find themselves in, and knows what they need to bring to maneuver that situation, and, in many cases, already has a lot of these items packed.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Beowolf » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:03 am

I know it's a mental hiccup for a lot of us. My thinking is this: How would we think if we thought a little differently? If we could momentarily bracket that part of our mentality that brought us to where we are (ZS, our supplies, etc.), what would we consider the best options in a pinch?

I think asking this group will bring more productive responses than asking random people, because all of us already have the psychologies to make particular types of assessments that come prior to full-fledged prepping. So I'm wondering if we can share what our approaches to disaster would be if we didn't have the filtration stuff, the bug out stuff, etc.

Like I said, I'm thinking that few of us have everything we think we'll need in the event of the SHTF. In light of that, what would the best approach be to utilizing what we do have that we might not think of as preps? (It would also be surprising if we discover that some of our regular life gear would serve us just fine in a disaster scenario.)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
ZS Wiki

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:27 am

I think most of your "standard" non-preppers will not bring a shelter. They will just bug out in their car or truck and if worst comes to worst the will live out of their vehicle. If the person is into camping I can see a tent maybe coming with their stuff, but unless the person is into hiking, that tent is going to be a car camping tent, which is a PITA to carry on foot.

Otherwise if you have 1 hour to evacuate, and its because of something real bad, most people will clean out the kitchen of non-perishable food, clean out their house of cash, jewelry and other valuables, grab some clothing and last minute gear, shove it in various suit cases, duffel bags, and backpacks they have in their home, throw all that in the trunk of their vehicle and go.

Redeyes
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead 1968

Post by Redeyes » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:54 am

Is bugging out by car an option?

If not, dehydration would be foremost in my mind. The bulk of the weight in my pack would be water and Gatorade, a pot for boiling water, a couple lighters, tent, ground pad, light sleeping bag or a light blanket, a small amount of rain gear, extra underwear and socks, ramen, knife, saw, cordage, my wallet, a flashlight, my pistol, and a couple extra mags, gauze, duct tape, wet wipes, powder and immodium. Whether or not I brought a long arm would depend on the situation. I would try to keep the weight light enough to get away from the coming event that was so horrible it made me think leaving my home on foot, in 80-100 degree weather with 70-100 percent humidity was a good idea.

My girlfriends pack would be set up much the same, minus stuff that would probably be unneeded due to redundancy.

Team Beards&Irons MilCopp 2013

Browning 35 for ZS President 2016. Make Zombie Squad Great Again!

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:33 am

Ten Eight wrote:If I'm a non prepper, I'm grabbing my computer, phone, credit card, cash, insurance info, pistol, and I'm gone. 90% of the time that's all you need anyway. Walmart Jansport backpack with a laptop, phone, 10k cash, and a Glock.
Yup, that'd probably cover most likely scenarios, even for a prepper.

Kelvar
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (1968), Dawn of the Dead (2004), Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland

Post by Kelvar » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:36 am

I think most people would underestimate the importance of clean water.
Failure to plan means planning to fail.
JamesCannon wrote:I was more mad that it was closed down, because I loved the dish that was apparently rat meat.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Pig wrote:How dare you try to bribe me with amenities like anime, Annie Mae, my sea anemone enemy!?

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:45 am

I asked my office mate (non-prepper), "If someone told you that you had to leave your place in 2 hours and you won't be back for at LEAST a week, what would you grab?"
(We assumed it would be a vehicle bug out, for this discussion)

Here's his reply:
Documents (mortgage, insurance, birth certificates, etc)
Clothes
Laptop
Non-perishable food stuffs (I was impressed he said "non-perishable")
Water
Kid entertainment items
Bedding items
Batteries
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

fred.greek

Post by fred.greek » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:20 pm

Beowolf,

To try to align my thoughts, for this exercise, would you envision a scenario such as:
- On emergency notice from our niece, we made what was supposed to be a day-trip to her home outside of Los Angeles. Just after getting there, TSHTF, and say an "EMP" fries the grid, and our Prius, the surge setting the car on fire in the street.
We are now in a home in decent neighborhood, but the niece is clueless as to preparedness, and we've GOT to get out of the area, which is not only not habitable without the grid, but now about to become dangerous…

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:25 pm

Most regular folk would evacuate by car, if they have a car.

Even if they have camping gear, which I do, they would be unlikely to pack a backpack, because they are are not expecting to travel on foot. (Example: three weeks ago I was a Webelos summer camp and I saw a Scouter mom and her son dragging their wheeled suitcases over they mud and gravel trail to their campsite)

Unless it is a weather related evacuation, not many people will pack for a range of temperatures. Most cars have heaters and AC.

Even if they own a tent they would be unlikely to bring shelter, because they are expecting to go to a "shelter" unaware that at best, it is a cot in a gym.

They will bring food in cans, and bread in plastic bags. Few will bring pots to cook in or stoves to cook on. Beverages will come in gallon jugs, two liter bottles and six packs. They will be very unlikley to bring water filtration systems because they don't own them. Remember most weekend campsites have potable water and flush toilets.

About half will bring imporant family and financial documents.

I'll estimate 20% will have $200 or more in cash. 50% will have more than $100 in cash, the rest will have less than $60 in cash. (Why didn't I say $50? Because most ATMs only dispense 20s.)

75% will bring sentimental items (photo albums)

90% will have mobile computing devices (smartphones, tablets or laptops)
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

Mall Ninja

Post by Mall Ninja » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:21 pm

I always find it surprising how many people, when they're evacuating for a forest fire, seem to leave their pets behind. Me, I'd be the guy who didnt make it out in time because I was trying to round up all the animals and get them in the car.
Maxim 24: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a big gun.

Daddy Warcrimes
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by Daddy Warcrimes » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:01 pm

In order to make it more relatable, simply imagine you're visiting an unprepared friend and helping him pack his life instead.

Stuff to grab (in the order which I typed it):
Camping gear; nearly all of it. If I have a tent, great. If not, a tarp or 2.
If no sleeping bags, lots of blankets (2 or 3 per person)
If no camping cookware, a sturdy pot and pan from the kitchen. Maybe a couple small pots to use for dishes to use in place of clay or glass dishes. Utensils of course, and plastic cups.
All the water that is bottled, and any water I can get bottled from the tap in time. Any portable sturdy containers that can be reused for carrying water.
Matches and lighters.
Flashlight, batteries.
Food.
Important documents; computer hard drive or backup (NAS with automatic backup is probably a good idea).
Pocket knife, or the sturdiest kitchen knife I can sheathe.
Axe or hatchet.
Hand pruning saw.
Shovel or 2 (hope we can bug out by car, otherwise we ditch a lot of this).
Trash bags (heavy duty has priority).
Soap, preferably the solid kind.
Extra clothes (emphasis on socks).
Toilet paper
Rope.
Gas can.
Rifles and pistols (no love for shotguns here) with ammo.

Most folks do not own a water filter, so boiling will be important.
Clothes will mostly be cotton. Dry socks are super important.
Trash bags will keep clothes and blankets (and lesser quality sleeping bags) dry. Probably need to wrap food and toiletries as well.
Most folks I don't imagine will keep a good field knife on hand, but a hatchet or axe and small knife can accomplish many of the same tasks.
I don't know too many people (even camping enthusiasts) who own a folding spade, but who doesn't own a shovel?
Gas can will need to be sealed in multiple garbage bags if in an enclosed vehicle. Best to put it in the tank and strap the empty to the roof.

All I can think of for now.
"and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Beowolf » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:29 pm

Great additions! I suppose another relatable approach would be to imagine what you had on hand prior to becoming more interested in preparation and how you would do an emergency evac. :)
fred.greek wrote:Beowolf,

To try to align my thoughts, for this exercise, would you envision a scenario such as:
- On emergency notice from our niece, we made what was supposed to be a day-trip to her home outside of Los Angeles. Just after getting there, TSHTF, and say an "EMP" fries the grid, and our Prius, the surge setting the car on fire in the street.
We are now in a home in decent neighborhood, but the niece is clueless as to preparedness, and we've GOT to get out of the area, which is not only not habitable without the grid, but now about to become dangerous…

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2
-
ZS Wiki

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:04 pm

Great answer, but you're thinking like a prepper. I thought this exercise was if we were unprepared. I liked the part about strapping the empty gas can to the roof.
Daddy Warcrimes wrote:In order to make it more relatable, simply imagine you're visiting an unprepared friend and helping him pack his life instead.

Stuff to grab (in the order which I typed it):
Camping gear; nearly all of it. If I have a tent, great. If not, a tarp or 2.
If no sleeping bags, lots of blankets (2 or 3 per person)
If no camping cookware, a sturdy pot and pan from the kitchen. Maybe a couple small pots to use for dishes to use in place of clay or glass dishes. Utensils of course, and plastic cups.
All the water that is bottled, and any water I can get bottled from the tap in time. Any portable sturdy containers that can be reused for carrying water.
Matches and lighters.
Flashlight, batteries.
Food.
Important documents; computer hard drive or backup (NAS with automatic backup is probably a good idea).
Pocket knife, or the sturdiest kitchen knife I can sheathe.
Axe or hatchet.
Hand pruning saw.
Shovel or 2 (hope we can bug out by car, otherwise we ditch a lot of this).
Trash bags (heavy duty has priority).
Soap, preferably the solid kind.
Extra clothes (emphasis on socks).
Toilet paper
Rope.
Gas can.
Rifles and pistols (no love for shotguns here) with ammo.

Most folks do not own a water filter, so boiling will be important.
Clothes will mostly be cotton. Dry socks are super important.
Trash bags will keep clothes and blankets (and lesser quality sleeping bags) dry. Probably need to wrap food and toiletries as well.
Most folks I don't imagine will keep a good field knife on hand, but a hatchet or axe and small knife can accomplish many of the same tasks.
I don't know too many people (even camping enthusiasts) who own a folding spade, but who doesn't own a shovel?
Gas can will need to be sealed in multiple garbage bags if in an enclosed vehicle. Best to put it in the tank and strap the empty to the roof.

All I can think of for now.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

Bahamut
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Resident Evil series

Post by Bahamut » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:44 pm

Since I am still in the first phase of prepping, I can reacquire my previous mindset for this exercise. I would most likely pack a few outfits, hygiene products, my pistol and all the ammo I have for it, my knives (grew up always carrying one), extra money, water jugs filled, and some non-perishable foods. This is assuming the emergency personal can convince us Floridians to actually leave. You survive so many hurricanes and you stop worrying about bugging out. Hell even a Sharknado would be iffy.
Beware the roving zombie honeybadgers mercenary gangs that have an affinity for switchblades!

fred.greek

Post by fred.greek » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:24 pm

Glass bottles, gas from car(s), cloth scraps. Use should be obvious.

Shower curtain(s) poncho.

Food.

No firearm(California).

Knifes. Broom/mop handle(s). With tape/wire become spears.

Mower or whatever else has wheels to push/pull. A cart. Small non-electronic motor less susceptible to an EMP.

Appliance/extension cords/wiring. Tie stuff, use as rope.

Bleach. Ammonia. Disinfect, nasty smell/gas.

Empty plastic bottles. Water or foods or ??? While such water pressure as there is remains, fill bottles.

Sheets/blankets. Covering, sleeping, "rope", padding.

Aluminum foil, block light, solar oven, heat shield, electrical conductor.

Metal bed frames. Six foot or so pieces of angle iron. Sharpen against concrete?

Oven rack or plastic/metal shelf as frame for "backpack". See the survivalist site:
http://www.secretsofsurvival.com/surviv ... kpack.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ceramic cup/bowl, cooking oil, stiff wire, shoe lace/cloth scrap oil lamps.

Hairspray, spray paint, etc. with lighter/candle as close quarters flame thrower, also typically the spray handle from 401,
"Shout", etc. will directly screw on to a bottle of rubbing alcohol.

Disconnect manual garage door handle.

From niece vehicle (didn't burn because it did not have the DC high voltage batteries & circuits of our Prius, salvage battery for some power.

Nestled cardboard boxes, insulated, picture frame glass for expedient solar oven.

Kitchen cabinet doors, removed, "worry" holes thru them and put heavy wire, metal clothes hanger, etc. thru holes to make a handle / arm carry on one side, shield re such as small knives or fists.

I do not know of a close safe-place. I do not know the extent of the burnout. I WANT to get out of there, but it is going to be 300+ miles on non-main roads to get home. I do not see Wife, niece, daughter, and I walking the distance. I doubt stores would do "manual" credit card receipts, or take checks. They may not even accept such cash as we have. I WISH I had driven my 25+ year old Samurai. Now I guess I want bicycles. Expect we need to barter with niece's neighbors, probably quickly.

If we got bicycles immediately and needed to use the interstates, is it better to move immediately, or wait? Either way, how long before the highways are some mix of pissed off drivers and/or local looters? How long until "local" streets have roadblocks & those setting up fiefdoms?

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:12 am

When I told my friend things he'd forgotten, he had some scary answers.

Me: How about sleeping bags.
Him: I only have 1, so that's why I said bedding.

Me: Lighter? Matches?
Him: We have one of those long ones for candle lighting.

Me: Pots to boil water.
Him: We should be able to get water pretty easy.

Me: Backpack?
Him: Well the kids will have theirs, but I don't own one. I thought I would be driving.

Me: Flashlight?
Him: Nah, I wouldn't need one and they keep breaking on me anyway.

It just shows that our trains of thought are different.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.

Alpha_Zombie

Post by Alpha_Zombie » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:37 am

I feel like OP is overestimating the preps and items "normal" people have. Maybe because I live in a college city or the fact that most people I know are who are mid to late 20's/city folk do not own guns besides maybe a shotgun they keep at their parents. It seems most people in general dont own 4-5 days worth of camping gear, or guns, or food/preps for travel. Plus with 1-2 hours time to dip out, people are going to be grabbing valuables and heirlooms and just raid their pantry for what they can. This is why most of the population dies in a lot of movies and PAW type scenario's hell even modern day natural disasters (katrina). If I was just a regular I would have a shitty backpack, maybe some rando walmart flashlight, spare batt or 2 if lucky, pocketknife laying around somewhere, and definitely no guns or camping gear. Basically id be screwed. Lol.

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:17 am

War O' the Worlds demonstrated a most likely scenario of the unprepared.

The 3 person Bug Out Box.

1) Pennzoil Box
1) Jar peanut butter
1) loaf of bread
2) bottles of water
1) Revolver
1) Screaming little girl.

Out the door in 5 minutes.

Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

Murphman
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Murphman » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:43 am

Bahamut wrote:This is assuming the emergency personal can convince us Floridians to actually leave. You survive so many hurricanes and you stop worrying about bugging out. Hell even a Sharknado would be iffy.

As a Floridian, I agree. Other than instantaneous societal collapse or instantaneous environmental catastrophe so great it affects the entirety of Florida, I just don't ever see bugging out. I am not in a flood zone, let alone evacuation zone, and have ample preps to go 6+ months without any outside help. I am not going anywhere.

Hard to get out of the prepper mindset for this.
"If you are prepped for pandemic flu, you are more than prepped for Ebola. And pandemic flu is hella more likely, that's the one that scares me, personally." - Duodecima...and she's a freaking doctor. What are you?

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Re: How would you bug out if you only had the regular things

Post by MacWa77ace » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:12 am

Murphman wrote:
Bahamut wrote:This is assuming the emergency personal can convince us Floridians to actually leave. You survive so many hurricanes and you stop worrying about bugging out. Hell even a Sharknado would be iffy.

As a Floridian, I agree. Other than instantaneous societal collapse or instantaneous environmental catastrophe so great it affects the entirety of Florida, I just don't ever see bugging out. I am not in a flood zone, let alone evacuation zone, and have ample preps to go 6+ months without any outside help. I am not going anywhere.

Hard to get out of the prepper mindset for this.
As a South Floridian there are two events I foresee that may force me to bug out with less than an hour's notice.

1) If an Antarctic Ice Shelf slides off into the ocean, my AO could be under 20ft of water.
2) If Turkey point has a meltdown and the prevailing winds are unfavorable. [may have to leave work, home is unlikely. Japan evacuated out to 31 miles down wind of Fukushima Daiichi]
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

NamelessStain

Re: How would you bug out if you only had the regular things

Post by NamelessStain » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:27 am

MacWa77ace wrote: As a South Floridian there are two events I foresee that may force me to bug out with less than an hour's notice.

1) If an Antarctic Ice Shelf slides off into the ocean, my AO could be under 20ft of water.
2) If Turkey point has a meltdown and the prevailing winds are unfavorable. [may have to leave work, home is unlikely. Japan evacuated out to 31 miles down wind of Fukushima Daiichi]
Don't forget La Palma:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvW0tmOS ... A2&index=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “What Would You Do?”