WWYD if Yellowstone went off

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

MacAttack

Re: WWYD if Yellowstone went off

Post by MacAttack » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:11 pm

http://www.nature.com/news/large-magma- ... er-1.14036" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its a bit bigger than they thought.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:08 pm

Necromancing This Thread

Scientists say we’ll only get one year to prepare if a super-volcano erupts

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/scie ... 07475.html

Super volcanic eruptions are so catastrophically powerful that they could devastate the entire planet. In a worst case scenario, these kinds of eruptions can eject 1000s of cubic kilometers of magma and ash in the matter of days or few months. That much ash in the atmosphere could block out the light and heat of the sun for years or decades.

Luckily, these kinds of eruptions are few and far between, and they are tens of thousands of years in the making. But there is also some bad news: According to a new study in PLOS ONE, they don’t give much notice before they blow their tops.

Unlike most volcanic eruptions, what makes super-eruptions different is that they are unable to erupt easily. Magma in the mantle of the planet rises into the crust, but is unable to immediately breach the surface. As a result, the magma continues to pool, causing pressure in the Earth’s crust to build and build until finally, a catastrophic explosion of magma and ash erupts.

These kinds of cataclysmic super-eruptions have occurred a few times in the geological past of our planet. In New Zealand 26,500 years ago, the Taupo Volcanic Zone had a super eruption. Even further back, Campi Flegrei in Italy exploded 40,000 years ago. Yellowstone has also super-erupted three times in the past million years and there are fears that it could occur again.

Right before any super eruption though, there is one final stage — the decompression stage — characterized by the release of gas bubbles at the eruption site.

full story at link

My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:40 pm

No worries I am well outside the blast radius. I guess I live in my basement for a year and then we emerge as saviors to the Post Apocalyptic World.

From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:16 pm

Stercutus wrote:No worries I am well outside the blast radius. I guess I live in my basement for a year and then we emerge as saviors to the Post Apocalyptic World.
You do realize that the effects are not just a year, but decades.
Super volcanic eruptions are so catastrophically powerful that they could devastate the entire planet. In a worst case scenario, these kinds of eruptions can eject 1000s of cubic kilometers of magma and ash in the matter of days or few months. That much ash in the atmosphere could block out the light and heat of the sun for years or decades.
The article was saying that we might only have a year notice to prepare.

A super volcano eruption basically has the same effect as nuclear war, but without radiation. the whole nuclear winter thing, there is a super volcano winter too. Enough particulate gets into the atmosphere to block out the sun. Possibly decades long sun blocking. This means no crops, no warmth, and a lot of this really sucks.

This is why my plan if a super volcano erupts is and always will be to flee to the other hemisphere. In general the weather patterns are separate between hemispheres, so if a super volcano like Yellowstone goes off your best chances of survival are to get south of the equator as soon as you can. Most of the ash will concentrate in the hemisphere the volcano erupts in. While some will spread to the other hemisphere it will be less and clear up sooner.

*PS, the Herculiods were an awesome show, but Thundar the Barbarian was better ;)
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:35 pm

You do realize that the effects are not just a year, but decades.
Not decades; centuries, more like millennia. But I can only live in my basement for a year. Then I will have to save the world.

*PS, the Herculiods were an awesome show, but Thundar the Barbarian was better ;)
Yeah but there are only three of them. The numbers don't work out.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:34 pm

Space Ghost would have smashed Thundar and the Herculoids but he was to much of a gentleman to do that. He's got death rays, can fly, super strong, oh and you won't see him coming cause he can turn invisible just like his space ship which means he's not stuck on some prehistoric rock.
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:17 am

Being as I recently moved to southern Montana, I'm going to go with: Die

But hey, it'll be quick at least, none of that freezing to death and starving the rest of you lot have to put up with...

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:37 am

Earlier in the thread there was a mention of the effect of volcanic ash on hydroelectric plants.

Here is a rough map of their locations. A big concentration is in Washington state, less than 600 air miles from Yellowstone.

My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

andrewza
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later
Location: this univers, milkyway, sole sytem, earth, africa South Africa, simmonstown

Post by andrewza » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:41 pm

I am glad I live in south Africa. Hell we may become a super power by default.

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:49 am

I would immediately invest all my money in air filter manufacturers located in the southern hemisphere and hope the profits were enough to get me to New Zealand. Cause emmigration and housing costs will skyrocket there as Americans try to overrun it.

I've already been tempted a few times to try moving there.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

Return to “What Would You Do?”