Home invasion.... Where did this guy go wrong?

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Sins

Home invasion.... Where did this guy go wrong?

Post by Sins » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:12 pm

I read this article today.
Please leave the politics out of the discussion in this forum and focus only on the first few paragraphs of the article where the guy describes his home invasion

http://nydailynews.com/1.1238566" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A few things I noticed.

1. He kept his gun in a broom closet?
Why not by his bed?

2. He kept it unloaded?
Only him and his girlfriend lived in the home. Maybe he could have told her "Hey its loaded" and left it that way.

3. He pulled the pump action several times?
Someone should have told him the action release button is not the trigger. That is the only way you can pump a shotgun several times without firing a round

4. He put the "cartridge" in the chamber?
I put shells in the magazine tube, but if it's in the chamber and I intend to fire it. I am not pumping the shotgun.

Frankly it all seems fishy to me, but if it's true I think having the gun in an entirely different room in a closet BY THE BACK DOOR is flat out STUPID! The writer claims he was "ready" in the first couple sentences
I think not!

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: Home invasion.... Where did this guy go wrong?

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:25 pm

He didn't train, he didn't have it loaded and ready/accessible, and he was trying to shoot someone without ID'ing his target. If all of the above is true, the author was a victim of the talisman mentality, wherein owning the gun would ward off crime, and his time skeet shooting would transform him into John Rambo when the threat arrived.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Power Fail

Post by Power Fail » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:33 pm

Where did he go wrong? He fell in love with some heroic fantasy instead of putting in work. Fantasy met reality, and somehow he found reality less pleasant than playing Rambo in his head.

Physically and mentally, he was not prepared, end of story. Erase and correct; he not only put zero effort into preparing himself for reality, he then goes on to project his own inadequacies onto other gun owners.
JamesCannon wrote:I think he's also forgotten more about spelling and grammar than ... well it just seems he's forgotten a lot about it.
DannusMaximus wrote:Few things are more win than saving the day with something that other people think you're weird for hauling around. 8)

Phoenix David
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am legend, Omega man

Post by Phoenix David » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:49 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:He didn't train, he didn't have it loaded and ready/accessible, and he was trying to shoot someone without ID'ing his target. If all of the above is true, the author was a victim of the talisman mentality, wherein owning the gun would ward off crime, and his time skeet shooting would transform him into John Rambo when the threat arrived.
I hate it when you get to a post before me because you say about 80% of the things I want to say, the other 20% of the time I didn't think if it.

Target practice is not training.

I also love the mentality of these people, "well I can't do it so nobody can" well I can't preform brain surgery so nobody should be allowed to.
Nobody ever wishes they brought a smaller gun to a gun fight

skelco
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by skelco » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:11 pm

Phoenix David wrote:[I also love the mentality of these people, "well I can't do it so nobody can" well I can't preform brain surgery so nobody should be allowed to.
The article did nothing to convince be that he was remotely prepared to defend himself and makes a poor case for him giving up on guns.
-skelco
ZSC:015 Officer of Indeterminate Duty

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
-Hunter S. Thompson

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Post by azrael99 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:27 pm

what happened ?

easy, he missed only 2 thing

-preparation
-training

he didn't had any plan, didn't train with his weapon,

if you are unfamiliar to your weapon and unaware of your surrounding then it not good. you must know what to do, doesn't matter where you are, you must have a way to defend yourself doesn't matter where you are.

you must practice, practice, practice. do it with training ammo , leave them where they should be, and leave your gun where it should be, then take your chrono and try to get your gun loaded and ready to shoot as fast as you can until you get it right.........................then try to do it in the dark, since most of the time , home invasion happen the night.

another thing : people with firearm relay too much on..............their firearm. it look like "wait i have a gun somewhere, that the only way to defend myself" what about the axe next to the chimney ? or the poker ?

what about the kitchen knife ? or the broomstick ? even a simple hammer could do

and if you have absolutely NOTHING AT all (which is impossible in my eye) you have your OWN BODY, kick, punch, claw, bite, gouge his eye out , go down and dirty.

in this situation he had a gun, not his girlfriend, ok, what if he was unable to use it and get disarmed ? his girlfriend would have taken something in case the worse happen. a gun is no use if you don't know how to use it.
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

URBAN ASSAULT

Post by URBAN ASSAULT » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:35 pm

Where did this guy go wrong?

Very simple.

He didn't buy a house right next to the local Police station, because without having the proper tools to defend his home and family, he now needs officers to get there as quickly as possible when trouble comes back.

-urban
"When under imminent Predator attack, try to act all Thalidomide-y till they go away".-me
3%

Last Knight
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead

Post by Last Knight » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:48 pm

What amuses me most is that the gun did exactly what he wanted it to - protected the house. Perhaps the burglar would have fled if they had simply called out, perhaps not. He certainly did flee when he heard the action cycled. Chalk one defensive use of a firearm up on the billboard, Chuck.

Where did the homeowner go wrong? Others have already said it in this thread; failure to have the weapon prepared, failure to train, failure to familiarize himself with it. Failure, in short, to prepare, to be ready. This could have ended very poorly for the author and his girlfriend both. I'm glad it didn't, and I hope the next time it happens - because, let's face it, four break-in attempts in that short an amount of time means they've likely been targeted - it doesn't end worse.
"The population is greatly decreased
Which means my odds are greatly increased
That I'll someday get the chance
To kiss your lips
I thank the Lo~rd each day
For the Apocalypse..."

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:02 pm

Sins wrote:The writer claims he was "ready" in the first couple sentences
I think not!
The story was written by a shill. The writer clearly lacks real time experience with a firearm despite what he claims. He writing for an audience that likely has even less knowledge.

If he is not a shill he needs a lot more practice. He was not ready by any definition of the word.
Last edited by raptor on Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

feedthedog

Post by feedthedog » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:04 pm

I'm glad that he sold his guns, he clearly didn't have the desire to train with them so that he could operate them safely. His gun "training" was like learning MMA by watching youtube videos.

Would you want this dude living next door to you?

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:42 pm

I like the part where he pukes from scaring a burglar away, to about how racking a shotgun automatically scares intruders/burglars away to the presumption that just because he's a worthless turd that can't train it automatically won't work for someone else.

This article just has to make a stop at every myth about armed confrontations.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

Last Knight
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead

Post by Last Knight » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:44 pm

Browning 35 wrote:I like the part where he pukes from scaring a burglar away, to about how racking a shotgun automatically scares intruders/burglars away to the presumption that just because he's a worthless turd that can't train it automatically won't work for someone else.

I might very well puke, too, if I just came that close to an armed confrontation - especially one where I was that unprepared.

And if I were trying to break into someone's home, especially if I thought it was unoccupied or they were asleep, I would probably run like hell on hearing a shotgun rack.

...the rest of it, yeah, I can only play devil's advocate so far. :crazy:
"The population is greatly decreased
Which means my odds are greatly increased
That I'll someday get the chance
To kiss your lips
I thank the Lo~rd each day
For the Apocalypse..."

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:09 pm

Zombie Squad, I love you guys.
Now I'm going to go see what Joerg is doing with duct tape and steak knives....
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:16 pm

jamoni wrote:Zombie Squad, I love you guys.
For HD use?

"Zombie-crazed-man in Catwoman suit fends off home invaders" would be an interesting headline...
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:18 pm

Last Knight wrote:
Browning 35 wrote:I like the part where he pukes from scaring a burglar away, to about how racking a shotgun automatically scares intruders/burglars away to the presumption that just because he's a worthless turd that can't train it automatically won't work for someone else.

I might very well puke, too, if I just came that close to an armed confrontation - especially one where I was that unprepared.

And if I were trying to break into someone's home, especially if I thought it was unoccupied or they were asleep, I would probably run like hell on hearing a shotgun rack.

...the rest of it, yeah, I can only play devil's advocate so far. :crazy:
Then I suggest you continue to choose a different career path, you'd make a really shitty burglar. :wink:

-
What myths like these do is take a tiny section of truth and turn it into being true every time.

Can fear turn you into a puking, pissing and shitting mess? Yeah sure, if you're not inoculating yourself against it in small but important steps.

This situation was much worse and this couple did much better.

http://forum.nolatac.com/showthread.php ... ponse-time

Have there ever been cases where racking a shotgun scared off a burglar? Again, yeah. Of course. The thing is that the majority of burglars who don't want a confrontation are going to knock/ring the bell, check the drive-way for cars and check for newspapers and mail. The ones that break into homes in the middle of the night knowing that someone is home are generally after something more than tools, jewelry or your TV. Those type of burglars will just shoot towards the sound of where they think you are in the house.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

Nightwing
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, or Dead Snow

Post by Nightwing » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:20 pm

Which one of you gave JoergS steak knives?
"If you give up your fangs, boy, all you'll ever be is a Sheep." - AnonEmouse

iron_angel

Post by iron_angel » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:09 am

Others have already said what I was thinking, but yeah, unprepared. Especially with a shotgun - the biggest drawback of a shotgun is slow loading. Keeping it in condition 4 is just stupid. Condition 3 I could understand - just rack and you're ready to shoot.

Also, something smells weird about the fact that he freaked before even confirming that there was a bad guy present. I've woken up for bumps in the night several times before, and I never freaked right away. Of course, it's never actually been a break-in attempt. Usually just neighborhood cats or raccoons knocking things over, or, in one case, some drunk idiot barfing near my car. I suppose maybe I'd freak a bit more if there had been multiple attempts in the last few months, though.

Sins

Post by Sins » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:22 pm

Actually I should have titled this thread where did he go right? Honestly, I am having a hard time finding any other than having a phone to call the police ready.

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:55 pm

Well, nobody died, but I think that was more luck than dude having a clue.

I agree the guy's a shill, and a poor one.
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

DannusMaximus
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by DannusMaximus » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:22 pm

A prime example that a person will rarely rise to the occasion, but will instead fall to their level of preparation.
Holmes: "You have arms, I suppose?
Watson: "Yes, I thought it as well to take them."
Holmes: "Most certainly! Keep your revolver near you night and day, and never relax your precautions..."

- The Hound of the Baskervilles

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:43 pm

jamoni wrote:Zombie Squad, I love you guys.
I pity the fool that breaks into Joergs house, They'll have about 5 seconds to live while he decides which diabolical creation to use.

As for the article, I don't what he did during his "countless hours" of gun time, but learning to operate a pump shotgun was evidently not part of his "training".
WWSD?

rklessdriver

Post by rklessdriver » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:49 pm

Gun control proponets ALWAYS come out with some BS story about how they "were" gun owners/enthusist until....

Most likely this story is just a story made up by a typical progressive writer to make his totally left wing audiance think their ideals are right on target.....

IF this story is real the writer is just another totally unprepared and untrained boob who got lucky.

in such case, I'm glad he's removed himself for the pool of gun onwers. Hopefully he goes back and stays in NY because more and more of his ilk are moving south and ruining what was a perfectly good part of the country with their failed social ideals. They move here complaining about how high the taxes are, how bad the crime is and how corrupt the local Govts are... yet want to change how backward we closed minded southerns run our states....

Will

itzybitzyspyder
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living DeadBoth), Dawn of the Dead(both, 28 Days Later, the crappy ones on SyFy channel, B movies

Post by itzybitzyspyder » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:18 pm

He puked, but I bet the intruder shat.
~sent via pigeon with a note on it's foot

Viper shtf

Post by Viper shtf » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:19 pm

What a moron.
PistolPete wrote:Seriously, fashion is dumb. But my wife likes the way they make my ass look or the way you can follow the veins on my balls through the denim or something. Whatever. I can dress up once in a while.

Return to “What Would You Do?”