Late Night Lurkers

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

LivelyToaster
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead

Late Night Lurkers

Post by LivelyToaster » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:15 pm

I have several personal accounts of this. Lost drunken college kids, actual criminals, and the occasional oops wrong house.

This one was last night, I've been thinking about it all day. I had literally just come from work, 3am. Walked inside, made myself a light dinner before bed. All was normal and well until I look up and see Buddy. The Lab's head low, ears alerted and his tail tucked between his legs. Snout pointing at the backyard window. So I got up, went upstairs into the bathroom (window was just above the backyard) making sure it was nice and dark in the room, peaked out the window. I didn't see a damn thing. Then I hear Bud's paws scurry across the hardwood in the living room. Quick and quiet down the stairs I go. And slink down low next to the front door window. And behold, between the gaps in my shades I see a man/women in a black hoodie, jeans, and a backpack. Fiddling with the screen front door a little. (Trying to friction slide the glass window open).

Ok, so I wake the wife, have her get on the phone with 911 and go into the kids room with the shotty. So it was just buddy and I down stairs (who for the first time ever had elected to not bark, and just be a coward.) So, I hear the glass slider finally getting pushed down, a pocket knife open and get to work on the screen. Ok suspicions confirmed.

Walk back over to the porch window, get low and watch. Stretch as far as I possibly can and flip the light switch for the porch flood light. Now this disturbed me more then anything else. The person looked up, stepped back near the stairs to get up onto the porch. Raised the "number 1" finger, waived it around and got back to work and unlocked the screen door. Game on. I drew the glock, grabbed the couch and slammed it into the door as hard as could, and the coffee table to brace the door with the couch and table against the cabinet so it couldn't be opened. They just walked to the porch window, in which I responded by sliding the bookshelf in front of that. (Wouldn't keep him out but would delay him long enough for me to do something.) at this time all I had was ears on them, they walked across the porch and hopped the fence into the backyard. I carefully eyed them through tiny openings in multiple window shades (following them towards the back door) as they just strolled through my backyard like nothing was going on and opened the gate and waltzed right down the back street. It was right at this point I could hear sirens coming off in the distance.

Not sure what his intentions were but I think Buddy sensed this was a particularly nasty prowler, and no desire to play alpha dog with them.

What would you guys do with this particularly bold character? Granted my state has Castle law, so I was ready to do what I had to do when/if they got in. I was legitimately afraid of this character. After they literally pretty much said "I don't care if you are home and awake, I'm coming in."

"If the above post does not make sense I might be 99.9% asleep and doing college stuff."

Terminus est

Re: Late Night Lurkers

Post by Terminus est » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:46 pm

I would be browsing online for more ammo right now.

If someone has made their intent to do you harm that clear you should not hold back in protecting yourself.

Also get rid of those slidedoors
There is no .45 VS 9mm thread that cannot be ended by a .22 to the forehead.

LivelyToaster

Post by LivelyToaster » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:02 pm

Terminus est wrote:I would be browsing online for more ammo right now.

If someone has made their intent to do you harm that clear you should not hold back in protecting yourself.

I have plenty of ammo, I'd talked with some of the neighbors today, who had said they've seen someone unusual skulking around the neighborhood the last week or so. Definitely gonna be up late tonight listening. Cops didn't pick them up either, pretty rare for this kind of activity in my neighborhood. Most trouble we get his college kids. So the cops aren't taking it lightly, so they say. Already been browsing the web for a exterior screen door that isn't retarded easy to get past. Granted all those storm doors have a security level of suck. But there are better ones then that stupid window slider that they would have had to at least smash the window.

feedthedog

Post by feedthedog » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:44 pm

LivelyToaster wrote:
Terminus est wrote:I would be browsing online for more ammo right now.

I have plenty of ammo, I'd talked with some of the neighbors today, who had said they've seen someone unusual skulking around the neighborhood the last week or so. Definitely gonna be up late tonight listening. Cops didn't pick them up either, pretty rare for this kind of activity in my neighborhood. Most trouble we get his college kids. So the cops aren't taking it lightly, so they say. Already been browsing the web for a exterior screen door that isn't retarded easy to get past. Granted all those storm doors have a security level of suck. But there are better ones then that stupid window slider that they would have had to at least smash the window.
If you want a screen that doesn't suck, check these out http://tapcoinc.net/. I have screens that open like french doors over two french doors on the back of my house. They are not cheap, but if the dude in the hoody comes back with a pocket knife then you will have time to call the cops, make a pot of coffee, read the newspaper, feed the dog, and watch the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, before you need to be concerned.

My 160lbs dog jumps up on the screen and then rips his claws across them to let me know that he wants to come inside. I've yet to see a scratch on the screens, and it seems to be wearing down his claws (win-win).

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:50 am

What did the cops do?

But I would not have alerted him that anyone was home.
And as soon as he got the door open a nice picture from the cell phone would have been in order, gun in other hand.

I don't have to yell anything to him at that point. Its his choice to leave and shut the door or come in.

RepoMan73
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by RepoMan73 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:04 am

MacAttack wrote:What did the cops do?

And as soon as he got the door open a nice picture from the cell phone would have been in order, gun in other hand.

I don't have to yell anything to him at that point. Its his choice to leave and shut the door or come in.
Pretty scary stuff. I would probably have racked a round with the ole shotgun to let him know I was serious. Then I would have sat down with a nice sight picture on the door. If he still came in there would be one less asshole in the world.
My opinion...60% of the time, it's right every time!

Unorthodox
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Unorthodox » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:27 am

RepoMan73 wrote:Pretty scary stuff. I would probably have racked a round with the ole shotgun to let him know I was serious. Then I would have sat down with a nice sight picture on the door. If he still came in there would be one less asshole in the world.
Scary sounds eh?

Only thing scarier than a gun going bang is a gun going 'click' when you expected it to go bang. How about you leave a round chambered. And if it is chambered, why eject a perfectly good round to the deck?

But if scary sounds are still you thing, how about testing whether or not Mr. Bad Guy can even hear the sound of a weapon being racked through the door and over the din of the neighborhood
Last edited by Unorthodox on Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
I load my gatteries in my assault clips for my AR-15 battle rifle. | Avatar By Nyssa

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:27 am

RepoMan73 wrote:
MacAttack wrote:What did the cops do?

Pretty scary stuff. I would probably have racked a round with the ole shotgun to let him know I was serious. Then I would have sat down with a nice sight picture on the door. If he still came in there would be one less asshole in the world.
So serious you're willing to waste a round trying to achieve a movie/Hollywood style effect?
Man is a beast of prey

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:02 am

Here's your after action plan if I may suggest.
A. Reinforce your back door. If it was that easy, you don't have a good enough door.
B. Motion lights. Why is you backyard unlit? I have 3 non electric dependent motion lights on the back of my home. All are over 10' off the ground. Fulcrum makes a 4 C cell motion light for $22. I'm adding 3 more to my house soon, I have 8 now.
C. Set up safe room.
D. Why weren't you in the safe room to? Your main job is to protect your family not your stuff. Going out there was foolish. There could have already been a guy in the house. Its not manly to drink Smoothies through a straw for the rest of your life.
E. If this is a rental, keep the landlords doors and replace them when you leave. Take pictures and keep receipts as proof of ownership.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

RepoMan73
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by RepoMan73 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:39 am

Unorthodox wrote:
RepoMan73 wrote:Pretty scary stuff. I would probably have racked a round with the ole shotgun to let him know I was serious. Then I would have sat down with a nice sight picture on the door. If he still came in there would be one less asshole in the world.
Scary sounds eh?

Only thing scarier than a gun going bang is a gun going 'click' when you expected it to go bang. How about you leave a round chambered. And if it is chambered, why eject a perfectly good round to the deck?

But if scary sounds are still you thing, how about testing whether or not Mr. Bad Guy can even hear the sound of a weapon being racked through the door and over the din of the neighborhood
Why so hostile? I don't leave a round chambered in my shotgun unless I am ready to make it go boom. I'm a cop and our policy is to not have one in the chamber in our duty shotguns. After about 15 years of police work, it's muscle memory for me to rack a round when it's time to get serious.

And if a guy is on my porch in the dead of night trying to jimmy the door, I'm pretty sure he can heard a shotgun being racked. Maybe you would prefer a warning shot?

Thanks for the advice though.
My opinion...60% of the time, it's right every time!

LivelyToaster

Post by LivelyToaster » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:40 pm

Regular Guy wrote:Here's your after action plan if I may suggest.
A. Reinforce your back door. If it was that easy, you don't have a good enough door.
B. Motion lights. Why is you backyard unlit? I have 3 non electric dependent motion lights on the back of my home. All are over 10' off the ground. Fulcrum makes a 4 C cell motion light for $22. I'm adding 3 more to my house soon, I have 8 now.
C. Set up safe room.
D. Why weren't you in the safe room to? Your main job is to protect your family not your stuff. Going out there was foolish. There could have already been a guy in the house. Its not manly to drink Smoothies through a straw for the rest of your life.
E. If this is a rental, keep the landlords doors and replace them when you leave. Take pictures and keep receipts as proof of ownership.
All good advice. I do have to say the wife had that down. While foolish for me to stay downstairs and deal with keeping Mr. Creeper outside where he belongs, I'm pretty sure if I didn't stay down there and actively pursue keeping them out, they would have been in the house. Given his reaction to the porch flood light being flipped on, I'm glad I kept them out. If there was already a bad guy in the house, Buddy would have let me know. (Even though he was being a big coward for some reason, I know he would have went and barked is damn head off over someone being in the house. At the very least.) I do have motion lights from our old house, but unfortunately it was one of those things I didn't get around to with so many other things going on. Been looking at storm doors. Over this holiday break from class I'm going to install 360 degrees around with the security motion lights.

feedthedog

Post by feedthedog » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:48 pm

Or instead of motion activated lights, you good just install flood lights on a timer.

I'm not a big fan of motion activated lights, since I'm probably not going to notice the lights popping on and off. I want my yard to be bright 24/7.

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:02 pm

LivelyToaster wrote:Given his reaction to the porch flood light being flipped on, I'm glad I kept them out.
Is there any possibility Mr. Creeper could've thought your porch flood light was motion-activated, and not realise there was a homeowner on the other end of the switch?
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

Braxton
Favorite Zombie Movies: I love them all.

Post by Braxton » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:12 pm

I guess I am going to get shot one of these nights, But the first thing I do when I think someone is outside my house is grab a pistol and a flashlight. Go out the back door and circle the house with the dog.
Jeriah wrote: you are NEVER completely certain of any other human being: not your parents, not your brother, not your wife, nobody.
Actually I think under some circumstances people sometimes don't even know themselves, but that's a bit existential for this thread. :lol:

Calzonewdippingsauce
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, 28 Days Later, 28 weeks later

Post by Calzonewdippingsauce » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:37 pm

Braxton wrote:I guess I am going to get shot one of these nights, But the first thing I do when I think someone is outside my house is grab a pistol and a flashlight. Go out the back door and circle the house with the dog.
I would do that in some situations. I usually go out for a late night walk with the gat, flashlight and the dog anyhow before bed just to see if anything appears out of the ordinary. I believe the best defense sometimes is to be active. In this situation I probably would have stayed since I was already inside and it appeared the guy was motioning to others that may have all the exits covered. I would not however covered up the doors or windows with anything. I would leave the windows and doors clear to see and anticipate thier path of entry, get back in the shadows and move among them being alert for other areas where entry could occur. If I was going to go out I would let another in the house know to call 911, and arm up, and that if it was me coming back in I would have my hand up sounding off all clear.

ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ODA 226 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:31 am

Let the police do their job. Arm yourself,call the cops, get all in your household accounted for in a safe room and STAY PUT! The last thing you want to be doing is "actively" searching for the badguy while armed when the police are responding...unless you really, really wan't to get shot.
Bitka Sve Rešava!
NEVER SACRIFICE SECURITY FOR SPEED!
B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit

Calzonewdippingsauce
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, 28 Days Later, 28 weeks later

Post by Calzonewdippingsauce » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:12 am

I wish I could count on that here. Unfortunatley average response time to my residence for state police is 30-45 minutes. It is a good idea to get everyone accounted for and in a safe area. But for that 30-45 minutes I have to wait for the troopers, I would at least like to see what I am up against.

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:57 am

Braxton wrote:I guess I am going to get shot one of these nights, But the first thing I do when I think someone is outside my house is grab a pistol and a flashlight. Go out the back door and circle the house with the dog.
I had to do this once, years ago, when we lived in the 'hood. Streetlights lit the place up well enough, so I just brought the WASR. I didn't go out to investigate my suspicions, though, it was my wife who thought she heard something.
LivelyToaster wrote:"I don't care if you are home and awake, I'm coming in."
Terminus est wrote:If someone has made their intent to do you harm that clear you should not hold back in protecting yourself.
The true test is coming in your house. Guy could have been probing your perimeter, or he could have had his rape kit in his ruck.

Guy sounds like he knew what he was doing, so I think I would have been pretty passive while he gained entry.

BG has to be inside the house before Castle Doctrine give you any legal protection :wink:
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:20 pm

Kutter_0311 wrote:...
BG has to be inside the house before Castle Doctrine give you any legal protection :wink:
Not in Kentucky:
KRS 503.055 wrote: 503.055 Use of defensive force regarding dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle -- Exceptions.

(1) A person is presumed to have held a reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another when using defensive force that is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm to another if:

(a) The person against whom the defensive force was used was in the process of unlawfully and forcibly entering or had unlawfully and forcibly entered a dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle, or if that person had removed or was attempting to remove another against that person's will from the dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle; and

(b) The person who uses defensive force knew or had reason to believe that an unlawful and forcible entry or unlawful and forcible act was occurring or had occurred.
As long as the person is trying to gain entry by force, you are covered under Kentucky's Castle Doctrine.

Source (PDF)

As for me, I'd shout out a warning, and if the BG didn't go away, I'd assume he meant to harm my family or myself, so I'd shoot the son of a bitch. Through the door if I had to.
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:51 am

That's a nice piece of law, right there!

But aside from Kentucky, let the BG get inside far enough that he won't slump back outside when he falls...
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

JohnE
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by JohnE » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:39 am

I'm curious as to when the OP in this scenario switched from carrying a "shotty" to a "Glock"?
John E
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life:The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:38 am

Wife had the shotgun in the safe room and he had the Glock.

IronKnuckles

Post by IronKnuckles » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:57 pm

You did well. All the what ifs in the world don't matter. I would have not been in the safe room either. If some one tried to break into my home their would be hell to pay. I'm not going to hide in the closet and let them chumpatize me.
Maverick299 wrote:Where's the government bailout for Hostess? I would have survived just fine without Chevy or Chrysler, but life without strawberry fruit pies seems kinda pointless.
AK_Stick wrote:Pretty much always be a need for people who can kill people, or work on stuff.

TravisM.1

Post by TravisM.1 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:15 pm

Mine probably wont be a popular opinion.

You were locked and loaded, inside your residence, while he\she knew you were there, knew that you knew they were there, yet still tried to gain illegal entry to your home. I wouldnt have braced a fucking thing. I wouldnt have slid a piece of furniture anywhere. Id have issued a verbal warning and let nature take its course.
I sold my soul to the devil for a .45, a black cowboy hat and a switchblade knife.......

Return to “What Would You Do?”