A Woman Shot on the Side of the Road - Do You Stop?

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

User avatar
Stercutus
* * * * *
Posts: 13108
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Time Out

A Woman Shot on the Side of the Road - Do You Stop?

Post by Stercutus » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:43 pm

A call came over the scanner today. A woman was shot on the side of the road in a small city and was laying half in the street and half on the walk. The caller drove by the scene and did not stop although the victim appeared to be bleeding badly. The shooter was not seen.

Were you the caller would you have stopped?
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

User avatar
TDW586
* * * * *
Posts: 8844
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:03 pm
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Re: A Woman Shot on the Side of the Road - Do You Stop?

Post by TDW586 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:57 pm

Most likely, yes. I have enough training to actually do something useful with a GSW victim until EMS arrives. The shooter isn't likely to hang around, and if he/she returns I'll deal with that when it happens.
Image

User avatar
Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4933
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:17 am
Location: The Mythical State of Jefferson

Re: A Woman Shot on the Side of the Road - Do You Stop?

Post by Dogan » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:02 pm

Yes. Call 911 as I drive by, tell them where I am and what I will be doing, then turn around after scanning for the shooter, pull over as close to the subject as possible to shield both of us from the road with my car, then do what I could to stop the bleeding, keep them breathing and deter shock. I'd shout out a few times for aid from passerby (you said a small city, right?), because even though they likely wouldn't be of much help, a crowd would be a fair deterrent should the shooter decide to try and finish what he started.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

User avatar
raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 16574
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:18 pm
Location: Greater New Orleans Area

Re: A Woman Shot on the Side of the Road - Do You Stop?

Post by raptor » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:07 pm

Yes after calling 911 I would stop and attempt to render aid. That said I suck at first aid knowledge. The best I could do is maybe keep the red stuff inside.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 12210
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: A Woman Shot on the Side of the Road - Do You Stop?

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:11 pm

raptor wrote:Yes after calling 911 I would stop and attempt to render aid. That said I suck at first aid knowledge. The best I could do is maybe keep the red stuff inside.
Airway, Breathing, circulation, and treat for shock. If all else fails, direct pressure and nice, calming words until the meatwagon shows up.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
Image
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

User avatar
Regulator
* * * * *
Posts: 1414
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:19 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days, Dawn of the dead II, Shaun of the Dead,
Location: The mountains of Kansas, USA

Re: A Woman Shot on the Side of the Road - Do You Stop?

Post by Regulator » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:14 pm

How do you know someone laying in the road has been shot? My first thought would be hit and run. Yes, I'd stop.

User avatar
duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 2951
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:18 pm

Re: A Woman Shot on the Side of the Road - Do You Stop?

Post by duodecima » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:22 pm

Doc Torr wrote:
raptor wrote:Yes after calling 911 I would stop and attempt to render aid. That said I suck at first aid knowledge. The best I could do is maybe keep the red stuff inside.
Airway, Breathing, circulation, and treat for shock. If all else fails, direct pressure and nice, calming words until the meatwagon shows up.
Hell, just not letting someone die alone counts for something imo.

I'd stop. Yes, scene safety counts, so I suppose there are neighborhoods in the world that I'd have to re-think that, but I don't drive thru anyplace I'd be unwilling to stop, unless there's other signs that the area's not safe at the moment (ie, the shooter).
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 6631
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas
Contact:

Re: A Woman Shot on the Side of the Road - Do You Stop?

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:24 pm

Even though I suck at helping folks that have been shot, I'd stop and do my best at keeping her alive until an ambulance and EMTs arrived.

In other words, yes I'd stop. If it were me or one of my loved ones in that situation, I'd hope someone would do the same.

User avatar
vawilderness
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 190
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:49 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Zombieland, The Crazies, The Walking Dead, The Plague of the Zombies, Dead Snow, Planet Terror, White Zombie, Land of the Dead, Let Sleeping Corpses Lie... to name a few.
Location: NOVA
Contact:

Re: A Woman Shot on the Side of the Road - Do You Stop?

Post by vawilderness » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:25 pm

Doc Torr wrote:
raptor wrote:Yes after calling 911 I would stop and attempt to render aid. That said I suck at first aid knowledge. The best I could do is maybe keep the red stuff inside.
Airway, Breathing, circulation, and treat for shock. If all else fails, direct pressure and nice, calming words until the meatwagon shows up.
^^^ That
If guns are outlawed, can we use swords?

Here2Learn
* *
Posts: 129
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:46 pm

Re: A Woman Shot on the Side of the Road - Do You Stop?

Post by Here2Learn » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:44 pm

"nice calming words" .... "meatwagon" LOL!

I was impressed someone bothered to call 9-1-1

H2L

User avatar
Deenie7
* * *
Posts: 684
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:03 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead
Evil Dead 2
Army of Darkness
Location: Burbs of Chicagoland

Re: A Woman Shot on the Side of the Road - Do You Stop?

Post by Deenie7 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:05 pm

Hell yes. Been a while since I've been certified in First Aid (and I'm working on fixing that) but I still know when and how to do CPR, how to apply pressure to a wound, and I can call 911 and look around before heading out to help. Plus I have a FAK in my work bag and one in my car that includes stuff like abd pads, and a blanket in the car to at least help keep her warm/comfort her.

User avatar
Vicarious_Lee
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 6636
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:21 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911
Location: Tumblrina City, TX

Re: A Woman Shot on the Side of the Road - Do You Stop?

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:21 pm

Who wouldn't stop? Unless there's someone with a gun still at the scene AND I'm unarmed AND I've got my kid with me at the time.

You have to stop.
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...
Image

Turtlewolf
* * * * *
Posts: 1767
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:58 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Almost all of them........some suck balls though.
Location: Drayton Valley, AB, Canada

Re: A Woman Shot on the Side of the Road - Do You Stop?

Post by Turtlewolf » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:49 pm

There isn't enough information in the question and considering that I probably would not stop right away, no.
Rule number one, take care of yourself and your own safety first or you can't help others because you become the target and add to the victim list.
------------------------------------------------------
Save a life, delete a Face Book account today.
You can drop your knife, loose your rifle but keep an eye on your axe.
Humanity does not survive alone.

User avatar
spanningtree
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 320
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:57 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil
Location: LV,NV

Re: A Woman Shot on the Side of the Road - Do You Stop?

Post by spanningtree » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:08 pm

I always stop for situations like this. I have already been witness to two bad car wrecks and was the first non-injured person on scene both times. Call 911, talk to dispatch and get some EMS on the way. Check on the folks the best I can (no formal training). Move shit off the road if it presents a potential for making the situation worse. God forbid this ever happens to me but I hope someone stops for me if it does. Do unto others...

User avatar
Spd164
* * *
Posts: 440
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:01 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

A Woman Shot on the Side of the Road - Do You Stop?

Post by Spd164 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:09 pm

Turtlewolf wrote:There isn't enough information in the question and considering that I probably would not stop right away, no.
Rule number one, take care of yourself and your own safety first or you can't help others because you become the target and add to the victim list.
If that was your mother, wife, or daughter lying there bleeding out, would you not want someone to stop and help if they could?

The "me first" mentality is a lot of what is wrong with our society. While I completely understand what you are getting at with your post, I have to say that being considerate of others is paramount to getting along in most any developed society, and what is more considerate than caring if another human lives or dies?

Besides, like someone else said my first thought would likely be "hit by a car" until I got closer and was able to assess the victim. Real life isn't the movies, and gunshot woulda are often difficult to locate on a person.

To the OP who heard the call come in by scanner, I'm betting the caller either witnessed the shooting or was involve somehow.
Image

User avatar
Stercutus
* * * * *
Posts: 13108
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Time Out

Re: A Woman Shot on the Side of the Road - Do You Stop?

Post by Stercutus » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:26 pm

Vicarious_Lee wrote:Who wouldn't stop? Unless there's someone with a gun still at the scene AND I'm unarmed AND I've got my kid with me at the time.

You have to stop.
I wondered about that too until I thought about it a bit.

Lots of people I am thinking. Mostly the vulnerable, unprepared or unarmed. If you see someone wounded most people will be wondering if it is safe. Curiously no one here has talked about securing the scene. I would think that would be more important than helping the casualty at least at first so that you don't join her.

Just because you don't SEE someone with a gun does not mean there is not someone with a gun at the scene. If you are elderly or have kids in the car or whatever to make you more vulnerable a lot of people would want to get away and avoid the scene rather than put themselves at risk.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

User avatar
spanningtree
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 320
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:57 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil
Location: LV,NV

Re: A Woman Shot on the Side of the Road - Do You Stop?

Post by spanningtree » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:30 pm

Blacksmith wrote: Curiously no one here has talked about securing the scene. I would think that would be more important than helping the casualty at least at first so that you don't join her.
Awesome point, I didn't think about that. I would have to reevaluate taking my wife and son's presence or lack of into consideration.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 12210
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: A Woman Shot on the Side of the Road - Do You Stop?

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:34 pm

spanningtree wrote:
Blacksmith wrote: Curiously no one here has talked about securing the scene. I would think that would be more important than helping the casualty at least at first so that you don't join her.
Awesome point, I didn't think about that. I would have to reevaluate taking my wife and son's presence or lack of into consideration.
That was taught at BLS, first aid, CERT, and every military aid class I went to. "If someone is bleeding or unconsciosus, figure out why before you go running in to what did it yourself."
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
Image
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

User avatar
LittleQuick
* * *
Posts: 375
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 1:56 pm

Re: A Woman Shot on the Side of the Road - Do You Stop?

Post by LittleQuick » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:37 pm

Of course!

But I wonder how she got there?
Did they shoot her and kick her out of the car?
Never mind this doesn't have to do with it unless I am determining if the scene is safe.

On a highway I would assume hit and run, and if it wasn't I still have backup on the way after I called 911 and gave my location.
Hopefully with my vehicle shielding most of us, and myself shielding her I can stall the bleeding long enough for a rescue.


That's if a bad situation doesn't already get worse.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:DISCLAIMER: America, Fuck Yeah. Sweet Gear. It's Your Money. Do Your Thing. No one will be mad.
TheLastOne wrote: A couple of kids thought it was funny but I punched them in the throat. Breathing was not an issue.
You're only as good as your last patrol.

User avatar
Deenie7
* * *
Posts: 684
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:03 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead
Evil Dead 2
Army of Darkness
Location: Burbs of Chicagoland

Re: A Woman Shot on the Side of the Road - Do You Stop?

Post by Deenie7 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:43 pm

Blacksmith wrote:Lots of people I am thinking. Mostly the vulnerable, unprepared or unarmed. If you see someone wounded most people will be wondering if it is safe. Curiously no one here has talked about securing the scene. I would think that would be more important than helping the casualty at least at first so that you don't join her.

Just because you don't SEE someone with a gun does not mean there is not someone with a gun at the scene. If you are elderly or have kids in the car or whatever to make you more vulnerable a lot of people would want to get away and avoid the scene rather than put themselves at risk.
No gun here. No kids either. I would call 911 first before rendering aid nearly regardless of the situation, but would not risk moving her unless it was obvious that the situation was worse leaving her there than moving her - whether that be due to someone lurking nearby or her car being ready to explode due to damage.

Anyway, your question was if I would stop, not what I would do. ;)

User avatar
Impus
* * * * *
Posts: 2693
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:17 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Die, You Zombie Bastards!
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: A Woman Shot on the Side of the Road - Do You Stop?

Post by Impus » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:18 pm

Vicarious_Lee wrote:Who wouldn't stop? Unless there's someone with a gun still at the scene AND I'm unarmed AND I've got my kid with me at the time.

You have to stop.
This.
Let Me Die Not Quietly, But Valiantly And Violently

ZSC:012 Tenimus Altus Humus

Turtlewolf
* * * * *
Posts: 1767
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:58 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Almost all of them........some suck balls though.
Location: Drayton Valley, AB, Canada

Re: A Woman Shot on the Side of the Road - Do You Stop?

Post by Turtlewolf » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:23 pm

Spd164 wrote:
Turtlewolf wrote:There isn't enough information in the question and considering that I probably would not stop right away, no.
Rule number one, take care of yourself and your own safety first or you can't help others because you become the target and add to the victim list.
If that was your mother, wife, or daughter lying there bleeding out, would you not want someone to stop and help if they could?

The "me first" mentality is a lot of what is wrong with our society. While I completely understand what you are getting at with your post, I have to say that being considerate of others is paramount to getting along in most any developed society, and what is more considerate than caring if another human lives or dies?

Besides, like someone else said my first thought would likely be "hit by a car" until I got closer and was able to assess the victim. Real life isn't the movies, and gunshot woulda are often difficult to locate on a person.

To the OP who heard the call come in by scanner, I'm betting the caller either witnessed the shooting or was involve somehow.
You don't work in dangerous situations do you?
If a first responder dosen't make sure that they are going to be reasonably safe first no matter if it is an H2S release or a shooting you potentialy not only jeaopordize your own life but that of the victim as well.
My post was not selfish so please read carefully next time before you get your panties in a self righteous bunch.
First responders not carefully assessing a situation has cost a ton of lives in the past as they rush stupidly in and raise the body count.
------------------------------------------------------
Save a life, delete a Face Book account today.
You can drop your knife, loose your rifle but keep an eye on your axe.
Humanity does not survive alone.

User avatar
Cherokee John
*
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:00 am
Location: Northern California

Re: A Woman Shot on the Side of the Road - Do You Stop?

Post by Cherokee John » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:14 am

I always stop and I live in a place where no one stops to help. All of them have been road accidents-people don't shoot people over here. Hit and Run is the SOP here in a road accident. I just leave before the police start taking names since you'll automatically be implicated in the accident-it's a national non-Samaritan rule and it sucks.

I carry a first-aid kit where ever I go. I haven't got EMT training but the first-aid training I have had has taken me a long way and I've learned more. I've also pulled people out of the ocean. Two this year- making my count 7 overall in the past 12 years. They don't have any non-Samaritan rule about drowning people, not yet anyway. I discovered that once I started acting the locals around me start to assist as well.

How would you know the woman was shot merely by a visual from a moving vehicle?
“Guns tell the truth. Guns never say, "I'm only kidding."
― Gustav Hasford, The Short-Timers

User avatar
jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 14985
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:50 pm
Location: st louis

Re: A Woman Shot on the Side of the Road - Do You Stop?

Post by jamoni » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:27 am

If I KNEW she had been shot, AND I didn't know where the shooter had gone?
Nope.
If I DIDN'T know she had been shot? Yes, probably. I know better than to enter a scene without securing it, but you know how it is.
Anyway, to all those who think it's selfish to refuse to risk your own safety for a victim, consider this: If I am shot, now there are TWO casualties. That means TWICE as many rescuers are needed, which means not only are more people going into harms way, but now the care the victim could have received is cut in half.
Add that to the fact that I have a wife, a kid, and a ton of other people who rely on me to do what I do every day, and no, it's not selfish to protect myself. It's the height of responsibility.
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

Post Reply

Return to “What Would You Do?”