How can we fight Creatures hurt by sound?

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.
Abuhin

How can we fight Creatures hurt by sound?

Post by Abuhin » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:11 pm

With A Quiet Place part 2 coming out, I thought I'd ask this. They hunt by sound, but turn out they're made vulnerable by certain frequencies, as well. The symbiote species from Marvel Comics, like Venom and Carnage, are harmed by loud noise in general. Name other examples if you can, please. Whether from ancient myth or modern sci-fi.

If humans came under threat from creatures harmed by sound, how do we fight back? Maybe noise itself is painful, or it incapacitates them to be taken out by regular weapons like Quiet Place.

If loud noises alone could hurt the creatures, does this make everything easy? Just carry literal bells and whistles, surround your home base with wind chimes, and soundproof the bedrooms so you can sleep at night. Seem enough? When your Away Team goes out, have those personal sirens, or panic/distress app. Or maybe each could take extra CB radios to intentionally make feedback. RIP headphone users, hehe. And of course, setting off car alarms.

But what if it's specific frequencies or pitch to harm the creatures? Are there apps or DJ equipment to test which frequency? I've seen the hearing-aid, tone test machine can be bought by civilians. Would you get one, and play it over loudspeaker?

I seem to recall folklore about certain bells repelling fairytale creatures. Like Iron bell for this fairy, and bronze for that goblin, or something like that. If that's the case, I'm thinking go back to the wind chime idea. Make a tube of each metal or alloy.

Your thoughts?
Disclaimer: For anonymity and security's sake, this poster may alter, omit, or fabricate details of his personal life and circumstances.

RoneKiln

Re: How can we fight Creatures hurt by sound?

Post by RoneKiln » Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:31 pm

Humans can be hurt by sound as well. I still think it's far more effective to use devices that are common in my region to blow holes through them.

Some of the old tails of fae being affected by specific metal products are more about the spiritual connection to certain metals. Especially iron. In the earliest days of iron working, only iron from meteors was pure enough to be worked with our infrastructure at the time (I'm uncertain if they literally didn't know how to smelt iron ore or if it was just too much effort to be worth it). So all iron products were associated with the sky and "falling stars." Tin for making bronze was available in very few places and was typically shipped in from far away, also giving it special significance in most of the world.

If they had firearms and NVGs, I'm sure lead would have also quickly become part of the lore for how to injure bad things.

The real threat of the monsters in A Silent Place is they abruptly appeared world wide in massive numbers and we had no chance to coordinate our response to them, nor learn new squad level tactics and security measures to deal with them. Had they appeared gradually, slowly spreading from only a few places, it wouldn't be an apocalypse movie. Just a horror movie about the main characters escaping the area the monsters first appeared in.

I'm fighting sound sensitive monsters with very loud gunfire. When their buddies home in on my gunfire, the squad watching over me will cover me from the counter attack. The monsters will either learn to run from gunfire, or be quickly wiped out.

If society has fallen as in A Silent Place, I'm making very sound absorbing firing positions I can shoot from relatively safely, and using sound making items as bait to lure the monsters into very specific fields of fire. Such a shooting position would have very limited fields of view. I'd probably be looking down a very long pipe from inside a building I've carefully modified. The more monsters I can remove from my area, the more margin of error I have for everything else in my life.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
https://ufozs.com
You'll find us here.

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:12 am

When I saw a quiet place, of course I was like 'they're doing it wrong'.

They "only have 3 in their AO".

All you need is an attractor with a timed or remote explosive or other deadly trap. Basically a noise maker to attract them and then boom. You don't have to be anywhere near them, you could also use motion detectors as detonators.

Alarm clock, egg timer, remote speaker setup, bell, can of pebbles on a string. + boom stuff. Or fall into _________. [add deadly pitfall here] Or drop a car on then, dead falls. At the very least they would Pavlov style, start to avoid noise as it would mean something near the noise would hurt them.

The other thing that would have worked would have been white noise. Instead of going quiet, go loud. Tons of noise everywhere around your Home Base.
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

Abuhin

Post by Abuhin » Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:08 pm

Yeah, why didn't they show the kids the waterfall safe area sooner? Maybe other people are safe at different waterfalls.

Check this thing out:

A box lined with sound absorbing foam.
Suppose I had one of these, but front and back opened up. If I shoot through one end and out the other, does that reduce my noise in any meaningful way? I suppose I could build a longer one if need be.

Hnmmm. This doesn't just apply to my scenario. Anyone thoughts of making one of these for shooting in general? Target practice and hunting could get less bothersome for the nearby.
Disclaimer: For anonymity and security's sake, this poster may alter, omit, or fabricate details of his personal life and circumstances.

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:23 pm

Abuhin wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:08 pm
Hnmmm. This doesn't just apply to my scenario. Anyone thoughts of making one of these for shooting in general? Target practice and hunting could get less bothersome for the nearby.
I have been told of someone hanging several old tires to make a tube several feet long, packing them with foam, and shooting handguns in/through them to significantly reduce the sound that carries to the neighbors. The friend of a friend had a backyard with great topography to use as a pistol range, and hung this contraption on his back porch. He still needed hearing protection, but it muffled the gunshots in the direction of his neighbors so they didn't hear them inside their house.

I didn't witness this myself. A good friend told me about it.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
https://ufozs.com
You'll find us here.

MacWa77ace

Post by MacWa77ace » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:58 am

RoneKiln wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:23 pm
Abuhin wrote:
I have been told of someone hanging several old tires to make a tube several feet long, packing them with foam, and shooting handguns in/through them to significantly reduce the sound that carries to the neighbors. The friend of a friend had a backyard with great topography to use as a pistol range, and hung this contraption on his back porch. He still needed hearing protection, but it muffled the gunshots in the direction of his neighbors so they didn't hear them inside their house.

I didn't witness this myself. A good friend told me about it.
I just saw that on a YT vid. didn't watch it 'cause impractical and now can't find the vid.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/WJZUYTBo-aA/maxresdefault.jpg
Abuhin wrote:
Yeah, why didn't they show the kids the waterfall safe area sooner? Maybe other people are safe at different waterfalls.

That's what I'm saying about white noise, you'd at least be able to talk normally. But since they have electricity and wind they can generate white noise at their house and not need to go to a waterfall. Windmill with playing cards hitting wheel spokes.

Your sound box is impractical for supersonic ammo. and needs to be closed on both ends really so how you going to aim?
Lifetime gamer watch at:

Abuhin

Post by Abuhin » Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:49 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:58 am

Your sound box is impractical for supersonic ammo. and needs to be closed on both ends really so how you going to aim?
I one saw a pic of a hunting blind with sound foam around the windows. Just putting idea out. It got RoneKiln to post another idea.
Maybe if I only drill a hole only big enough for the muzzle and sights? Or I could make the box angled, like arrow slits of a castle.

MacWa77ace

Post by MacWa77ace » Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:55 am

Abuhin wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:49 pm
MacWa77ace wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:58 am

I one saw a pic of a hunting blind with sound foam around the windows. Just putting idea out. It got RoneKiln to post another idea.
Maybe if I only drill a hole only big enough for the muzzle and sights? Or I could make the box angled, like arrow slits of a castle.
That would be to keep random hunter noises inside the blind and not alert the prey if you fart. And then we're back to soundproofing the insides of all our buildings.
Lifetime gamer watch at: