There's a mouse in the house (bug out bag food storage)

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

MacWa77ace
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Re: There's a mouse in the house (bug out bag food storage)

Post by MacWa77ace » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:20 am

Brekar wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:28 pm
Like Laager mentioned sticky traps work really well. When I worked at the Phoenix airport we had a HUGE rat problem. Their answer was glue traps. They worked really well. We were catching 4-6 rats per pad on a pad not really designed to hold that many. They'd get caught trying to crawl over each other. It was disgusting to see.

I also advocated shooting them as well. My wife also thought it was a bad idea. She also thought it was a good idea to feed the racoon eating out of out trash cans when we lived on the edge of town, so you can see where this is going...
The raccoons in my AO like to take a dump on the top step [in the water] of my pool. :vmad:

A hundred years ago I read an article in Guns&Ammo where the writer was describing a hunt he did, including all the details for weather, temperature, stalk, hide, and finally the shot. But then the reveal, he was in his backyard and hunting a rat. It was a really entertaining read. LOL

If you're women won't like the shooting solution, the glue traps will be worse for them IMO, 'cause what do you do with 'em after they are stuck on the trap? And still alive? BTDT.
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

Brekar
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead - Night/Dawn/Day of the Dead - Zombieland - Dead Snow - etc...

Post by Brekar » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:43 am

I agree about the glue traps, it takes several hours for them to die and it's a bit rough to watch. My wife is fine with the snap traps, but not shooting them. Now the raccoon got a little to friendly and decided he was gonna snap and growl at me late one night as I was taking out the trash when I had just got home very late from work. So I shot him in the face and put a trash bag on him. Wife wondered what happened to him for a bit, but I followed the KISS method on that one. I wasn't gonna wait till someone got bit to handle it.

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:00 pm

My wife is anti glue trap, pro snap trap, I considered carrying an airsoft pistol around the house, since they're only field mice, but they've yet to present themselves in waking hours, so I haven't tried that yet.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Albert

Post by Albert » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:21 pm

Glue traps and .22LR rat-shot shells are the answer.

MacWa77ace
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:19 am

Albert wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:21 pm
Glue traps and .22LR rat-shot shells are the answer.
My Grandpa called that snake shot. Not for use in the house though. I think I still have a few rounds of his left. Must be over 40 years old now.
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

wolf_from_wv

Post by wolf_from_wv » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:37 pm

Snap traps with peanut butter. Dispose of them if I can get to them before the crickets do.

Rats can/will chew through siding to get in and don't care about steel wool blocking the hole.
Strength Of My Life, whom shall I dread?
When them evildoers approach to devour my flesh.
Even if there would be an army against me,
My heart would not fear.
-P.O.D.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:28 pm

wolf_from_wv wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:37 pm
Snap traps with peanut butter. Dispose of them if I can get to them before the crickets do.

Rats can/will chew through siding to get in and don't care about steel wool blocking the hole.
NYC rats have been known to chew through steel-reinforced concrete and armored cables. (Fun Fact: up until fairly recently NYC electrical code prohibited Romex wiring, only conduit, enclosed steel raceways, or armored BX cable was allowed. This was to prevent mice from starting fires chewing wires. Rats still chewed through the BX cable though.)
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:32 pm

NT2C wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:28 pm
wolf_from_wv wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:37 pm

NYC rats have been known to chew through steel-reinforced concrete and armored cables. (Fun Fact: up until fairly recently NYC electrical code prohibited Romex wiring, only conduit, enclosed steel raceways, or armored BX cable was allowed. This was to prevent mice from starting fires chewing wires. Rats still chewed through the BX cable though.)
That's not surprising. Luckily, it's just been a mouse, no activity noticed since late December. Still trying to remain diligent.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

yadayada

Post by yadayada » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:45 pm

+ 1 to the snap traps and peanut butter. MY wife's greenhouse draws them into the garage every fall and I have to clean out 5-15 every year. Ont the farm we always had about half a dozen barn cats around to keep the pest down. It May not be an option, but housecats are great killers.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:21 pm

yadayada wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:45 pm
+ 1 to the snap traps and peanut butter. MY wife's greenhouse draws them into the garage every fall and I have to clean out 5-15 every year. Ont the farm we always had about half a dozen barn cats around to keep the pest down. It May not be an option, but housecats are great killers.
Hell YEAH!

Return to “What Would You Do?”