Man With a Shotgun

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Stercutus

Man With a Shotgun

Post by Stercutus » Fri May 08, 2020 7:08 am

So, you live in town. On Wednesday you wake up and get in your car to drive to work and your BOB is gone along with all your goodies because you forgot to lock your car and ... meth. You have a video camera covering your driveway but all you can see is an older teenager wearing a white hoodie on a dark colored bicycle riding off with your stuff.

Early Friday morning before sun up you go out on your front porch and see an older teenager wearing a white hoodie pushing a dark colored bicycle up your street. He has a shotgun strapped to his back and several odd backpacks strapped to the bicycle. WWYD, if anything at all?
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Re: Man With a Shotgun

Post by MacWa77ace » Fri May 08, 2020 8:14 am

Does anything look like its yours?
Is open carry legal in this town?

Yes/Yes
Confront. Confirm. Citizens arrest.

Yes/No
Call Cops, Confront. Confirm. Citizens arrest.

No/Yes
Nothing

No/No
Call cops.
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri May 08, 2020 10:03 am

911 right off the bat. I'm not doing anything else because...reasons.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri May 08, 2020 10:47 am

I reported the items as Stolen, right?

Call cops.

It looks like my stuff? Probably put on a pistol and get in the car. Drive around the neighborhood nonchalantly while on the phone with police.

Engagement would be avoided.

Based on past experience, the police would not appreciate my being in the car.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

raptor2
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Fri May 08, 2020 12:39 pm

Observe carefully to ensure that what I am seeing is a shotgun. Note I would consider the fact that he is pushing the heavily ladened bike as indicative of either exhaustion, overloaded ill balanced bike or he is looking for a place to dump it or rest. The shouldered shotgun is going to be difficult to remove while keeping the bike upright. So if he drops the bike that is an indicator he may be going for the shotgun, which gives me time to find cover. Either way he is not going to get too far with all of that stuff.

Call 911 to report it.

Use my phone to video the person from a safe distance. Avoid contact.
Aggressively avoid any close quarter contact.
I would retreat into the house and up until the point the point the shotgun was brandished no CCW would be drawn.

Document with video to the extent possible while waiting for LEOs.

Note at my home the JPSO would be there in 3 to 5 minutes. At my office the NOPD would not show up. At my farm I would take the extra step to see if he was wearing any hunter orange and if not all the local Wildflife and Fisheries poacher line and they would have someone there ASAP.

So at home the guy would be questioned and/or dealt with by JPSO.
At work my stuff would be gone and the NOPD would not give shit, unless of course I made an attempt to recover it.
At the farm the MWF guys would find him quickly to talk to him.
Duco Ergo Sum

raptor2 is the new profile name for raptor.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8190

boskone

Post by boskone » Fri May 08, 2020 1:37 pm

Call 911.

Get a better picture, if practical (e.g. subtly). Post to e.g. Imgur, to prevent unauthorized access to my phone (at the federal level, cops can just poke around your phone even if you give it to them for a specific reason).

(Note that this is why, despite the potential convenience, I don't use my insurance app for identification.)

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Tue May 12, 2020 2:13 am

I live across the street from a school. I'm not opposed to open carry, but these days it's insanity to openly carry a long arm near a school. I'm calling 911, going inside my house, and filming from the window if I can.

I'm also blocks from the police station. They'll be there real fast.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

Mannlicher

Post by Mannlicher » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:29 am

In light of current reality, I would not have left gear vital to my survival overnight in a vehicle. Especially an unlocked vehicle.
Second thought. With the civil unrest in our cities today and the uncertainty of the police even showing up, you might well have some serious decisions make, as to how you will proceed. I am sure it’s prudent to keep your own counsel.

Firemedic2000

Post by Firemedic2000 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:05 am

Mannlicher wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:29 am
In light of current reality, I would not have left gear vital to my survival overnight in a vehicle. Especially an unlocked vehicle.
Second thought. With the civil unrest in our cities today and the uncertainty of the police even showing up, you might well have some serious decisions make, as to how you will proceed. I am sure it’s prudent to keep your own counsel.
Ding ding we have a winner here with common sense. Never leave anything in your vehicle you value.

Return to “What Would You Do?”