Rural property, but the locals don't want you there ...

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

lailr
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, I am Legend, Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)

Re: Rural property, but the locals don't want you there ...

Post by lailr » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:19 am

SCBrian wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:58 pm
boskone wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:55 pm
lailr wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:13 pm
Just don't move South because you like the atmosphere, and then tell us how you used to do something "Up North" :roll:
"Oh, we just love the environment and cost of living. But back home we..."
:vmad:
This.
This x 2
I live in (sometimes unfortunitly) one of the fast growing areas in the SE. I've lived here all my life, and remember when the town was considered "semi-rural" I've watched it grow up. Change is going to happen, I deal with it, the traffic, etc. But the best way to tick off the locals is not to adapt and assimilate. "I really dont care how you did it back home, if you like it so much, go back there, this is how we do it here. Remember why you moved here?? " I dont care who you are, I'll get along with you until you tell me "This is how we did it back in Michaganohionewjersry, etc. "
Yes! Don't ruin my space the way you ruined yours

moab

Post by moab » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:43 am

lailr wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:19 am
SCBrian wrote:
boskone wrote:
lailr wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:13 pm
Just don't move South because you like the atmosphere, and then tell us how you used to do something "Up North" :roll:
This.
This x 2
I live in (sometimes unfortunitly) one of the fast growing areas in the SE. I've lived here all my life, and remember when the town was considered "semi-rural" I've watched it grow up. Change is going to happen, I deal with it, the traffic, etc. But the best way to tick off the locals is not to adapt and assimilate. "I really dont care how you did it back home, if you like it so much, go back there, this is how we do it here. Remember why you moved here?? " I dont care who you are, I'll get along with you until you tell me "This is how we did it back in Michaganohionewjersry, etc. "
To be fair though. With huge corporations making all the decisions these days. And pouring billions into advertising/politics/news etc. etc. It's really the big politicians that are making these decisions. Not the populace so much. No one here in CA wants to pay exorbitant utility fees. Or have their guns taken away. Or make is so bad for small business that you can't afford to operate in the state. Or have no rent control. The list goes on and on.

You might be surprised how much more alike you are to the expats than you want to think. Yes CA sucks. But the people leaving are the ones that hate what the politicians have done to the state. And think much like you.

I have a unique perspective. I'm from WA (Till 30) then been in CA until 55. Now will be moving back to WA. Business was good here in the 2000's. But not anymore. As was employment. Rents are thru the roof. Home prices are ridiculous. I can't wait to get back to WA and support intelligent decision making. If it can be found anywhere.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

boskone

Post by boskone » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:33 am

moab wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:43 am
lailr wrote:
SCBrian wrote:
boskone wrote:

This.
This x 2
To be fair though. With huge corporations making all the decisions these days. And pouring billions into advertising/politics/news etc. etc. It's really the big politicians that are making these decisions. Not the populace so much. No one here in CA wants to pay exorbitant utility fees. Or have their guns taken away. Or make is so bad for small business that you can't afford to operate in the state. Or have no rent control. The list goes on and on.

You might be surprised how much more alike you are to the expats than you want to think. Yes CA sucks. But the people leaving are the ones that hate what the politicians have done to the state. And think much like you.

I have a unique perspective. I'm from WA (Till 30) then been in CA until 55. Now will be moving back to WA. Business was good here in the 2000's. But not anymore. As was employment. Rents are thru the roof. Home prices are ridiculous. I can't wait to get back to WA and support intelligent decision making. If it can be found anywhere.
If people didn't come here and try to implement the sorts of services which caused the high CoL in their origin state, I might agree.

But, you know, Austin.

lailr
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, I am Legend, Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)

Post by lailr » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:47 am

moab wrote:
lailr wrote:
SCBrian wrote:
boskone wrote:

This.
This x 2

Most of ours, regionally, are New Englanders, whom retire here for the reduced cost of living. Again, I've met plenty that I get on great with. It's when they want to change what we have going on here that it becomes a problem.....

Don't like a Motorcross track? Don't move in next to one, then try to get the zoning changed. Don't like people shooting in their backyards? Don't move out in the country. Common sense folks aren't so common anymore

moab

Post by moab » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:22 am

lailr wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:47 am
moab wrote:
lailr wrote:
SCBrian wrote:

This.
This x 2

Most of ours, regionally, are New Englanders, whom retire here for the reduced cost of living. Again, I've met plenty that I get on great with. It's when they want to change what we have going on here that it becomes a problem.....

Don't like a Motorcross track? Don't move in next to one, then try to get the zoning changed. Don't like people shooting in their backyards? Don't move out in the country. Common sense folks aren't so common anymore
If I'm not allowed to shoot my guns in my backyard when I move back to WA. I'll be pissed too. ;)
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

lailr

Post by lailr » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:53 pm

I don't think most Rural folks would have a problem with transplants of a ZS mentality

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:05 pm

moab wrote:
lailr wrote:
SCBrian wrote:
boskone wrote:

This.
This x 2

Well, since jumped off the high dive in to politics I will tell you I have met plenty of people from California (and other places) who just love all that stuff. But I have never met anyone from around here who would admit it. Unless they were from somewhere else.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:13 am

moab wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:22 am
lailr wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:47 am
moab wrote:
lailr wrote:

If I'm not allowed to shoot my guns in my backyard when I move back to WA. I'll be pissed too. ;)
Don't count on it in King, Pierce, Snohomish, Thurston, or Clark counties. At the state level, the Seattle-Tacoma-Olympia corridor pretty much runs the state now, and they're working hard to turn it into Kalifornia North (and they're in a race with Portlandia to do it.) My in-laws lived there for almost 60 years - moved to AZ last year.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

ZapThyCat

Post by ZapThyCat » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:27 am

When it comes to rural areas, those that sacrificed city life to live there certainly don't want the city to come to them when times get bad in the city. I think it would be self-preservation to blow up bridges and take down the main routes out of cities to keep the urbanites in the cities. Mankind will be the biggest threat to you. Bugging out to the country means that you're stressing the local resources, you may think that there's room for you there, but not in the eyes of the locals that already claim those. They don't want you shooting "their" deer, polluting "their" favorite fishing places, picking "their" berries.

That being said, if you own your own spot on that island, you have a right to be there, and not want others coming to corrupt "your" island...
~Jarrod~

Return to “What Would You Do?”