Robot Uprising - Or, what to do when AI Does All The Jobs

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

User avatar
NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator
Posts: 8873
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:37 pm
Location: Outside of your jurisdiction officer

Re: Robot Uprising - Or, what to do when AI Does All The Jobs

Post by NT2C » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:08 am

MPMalloy wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:25 am
boskone wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:02 am
MPMalloy wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:51 pm
fucking perverts
Rule 34.
Were beyond Rule 34 here.
How far beyond?
  • Rule 35: If there is no porn of it, porn will be made of it.
  • Rule 36: No matter what it is, it is somebody's fetish.
Or did we go all the way to 37?
  • Rule 37: No matter how fucked up it is, there is always worse than what you just saw.
Just remember though
  • Rule 38. No real limits of any kind apply here — not even the sky.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 6259
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: Robot Uprising - Or, what to do when AI Does All The Jobs

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:07 pm

NT2C wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:08 am
MPMalloy wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:25 am
boskone wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:02 am
MPMalloy wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:51 pm
fucking perverts
Rule 34.
Were beyond Rule 34 here.
How far beyond?
  • Rule 35: If there is no porn of it, porn will be made of it.
  • Rule 36: No matter what it is, it is somebody's fetish.
Or did we go all the way to 37?
  • Rule 37: No matter how fucked up it is, there is always worse than what you just saw.
Just remember though
  • Rule 38. No real limits of any kind apply here — not even the sky.
37 & 38. Maybe worse :clownshoes:

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 3314
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: Robot Uprising - Or, what to do when AI Does All The Jobs

Post by flybynight » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:33 pm

Son just showed me this on you tube



I immediately thought to myself just how useful Malloy would find this. It could carry his groceries , bug out bag. I dunno might even be capable of loading his guns. All with the same happy smile :awesome: ̶i̶t̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶d̶i̶s̶m̶e̶m̶b̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ :shock:
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 6259
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: Robot Uprising - Or, what to do when AI Does All The Jobs

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:35 pm

flybynight wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:33 pm
Son just showed me this on you tube



I immediately thought to myself just how useful Malloy would find this. It could carry his groceries , bug out bag. I dunno might even be capable of loading his guns. All with the same happy smile :awesome: ̶i̶t̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶d̶i̶s̶m̶e̶m̶b̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ :shock:
I feel confident that most of my arms cold take him out. :D

:wink:

RoneKiln
* * * *
Posts: 961
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:20 am

Re: Robot Uprising - Or, what to do when AI Does All The Jobs

Post by RoneKiln » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:35 am

"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

boskone
* * * * *
Posts: 1417
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:07 pm
Location: Aggieland-ish

Re: Robot Uprising - Or, what to do when AI Does All The Jobs

Post by boskone » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:58 pm

RoneKiln wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:35 am
https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/13/us/livin ... gfooterold

Tiny bioengineered robots.
From frog cells. Because Jurassic Park taught us that genetic engineering and frogs always works out fine.

Who'd've thought the zombie apocalypse would be accompanied by more "ribbit, ribbit" than "brrraaaaiiinnnnssss"?

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 6259
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: Robot Uprising - Or, what to do when AI Does All The Jobs

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:39 pm

boskone wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:58 pm
RoneKiln wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:35 am
https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/13/us/livin ... gfooterold

Tiny bioengineered robots.
From frog cells. Because Jurassic Park taught us that genetic engineering and frogs always works out fine.

Who'd've thought the zombie apocalypse would be accompanied by more "ribbit, ribbit" than "brrraaaaiiinnnnssss"?
The AI Singularity is out to get us by any means necessary. :twisted:

RoneKiln
* * * *
Posts: 961
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:20 am

Re: Robot Uprising - Or, what to do when AI Does All The Jobs

Post by RoneKiln » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:16 am

https://invest.misorobotics.com/fb?utm_ ... hTwS3j6MCw

Now they're replacing the burger flippers.

I wanted to work in a coffee shop when I "retired." I'm now thinking that may no longer be an option in another 2 decades.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 3314
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: Robot Uprising - Or, what to do when AI Does All The Jobs

Post by flybynight » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:41 am

RoneKiln wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:16 am
https://invest.misorobotics.com/fb?utm_ ... hTwS3j6MCw

Now they're replacing the burger flippers.

I wanted to work in a coffee shop when I "retired." I'm now thinking that may no longer be an option in another 2 decades.
Do not to worry cyborg 02000023b
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

User avatar
woodsghost
* * * * *
Posts: 3708
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 3:45 pm

Re: Robot Uprising - Or, what to do when AI Does All The Jobs

Post by woodsghost » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:37 am

RoneKiln wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:16 am
https://invest.misorobotics.com/fb?utm_ ... hTwS3j6MCw

Now they're replacing the burger flippers.

I wanted to work in a coffee shop when I "retired." I'm now thinking that may no longer be an option in another 2 decades.


A machine cannot replicate what a human can do in a true coffee shop with real hand crafted drinks. But a machine can totally pull a lever and keep a bean hopper (or espresso pucks) topped off. So it depends on what kind of coffee shop you are aiming for in your retirement. If you aim high, I bet you can achieve that dream.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.


User avatar
NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator
Posts: 8873
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:37 pm
Location: Outside of your jurisdiction officer

Re: Robot Uprising - Or, what to do when AI Does All The Jobs

Post by NT2C » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:45 am

It won't be long now before in addition to the usual drug tests Olympic athletes will have to submit to "humanity" testing.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

boskone
* * * * *
Posts: 1417
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:07 pm
Location: Aggieland-ish

Re: Robot Uprising - Or, what to do when AI Does All The Jobs

Post by boskone » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:35 pm

NT2C wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:45 am
It won't be long now before in addition to the usual drug tests Olympic athletes will have to submit to "humanity" testing.
When they decided to allow Oscar Pistorius in the Olympics, I opined at the time that we may be on the cusp of needing at least 3 sets of Olympics:

Special Olympics, for physically/mentally impaired
Olympics, for unmodified humans
Olympics+, for modified humans

And, now, maybe Robot Olympics to allow companies/universities/countries to compete with fully-synthetic Olympians. Each robot would be all-or-nothing (no hyperspecialized gymnastics bots or whatever), but have humanoid and unrestricted categories.

User avatar
NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator
Posts: 8873
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:37 pm
Location: Outside of your jurisdiction officer

Re: Robot Uprising - Or, what to do when AI Does All The Jobs

Post by NT2C » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:32 am

Image
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles


MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 6259
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: Robot Uprising - Or, what to do when AI Does All The Jobs

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:23 pm


User avatar
majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 7347
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 10:06 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead
Location: Maine

Re: Robot Uprising - Or, what to do when AI Does All The Jobs

Post by majorhavoc » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:50 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:23 pm
File under but, of course: From NPR: Meet 'Spot:' The Robot That Could Help Doctors Remotely Treat COVID-19 Patients
[Coldly rational robotic voice] Good morning patient 62B-71 - "Cynthia". How are we doing today? Not well I am afraid. I have run your positive COVID -19 diagnosis, continued elevated body temperature, advanced chronological age and declining oxygen saturation levels through my heuristic cost/benefit algorithm. The greater good dictates cessation of further expenditure of medical resources. Your disease progression shall now be allowed to run its natural course. At this time I will administer a narcotic pharmaceutical to ease your suffering. Press or say "1" if your desire a palliative dosage, or "2" if you prefer a demise-hastening dosage. Have a nice day.

User avatar
NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator
Posts: 8873
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:37 pm
Location: Outside of your jurisdiction officer

Re: Robot Uprising - Or, what to do when AI Does All The Jobs

Post by NT2C » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:26 pm

...outfitting Spot with an iPad and radio so a medical technician could interface with patients in the triage tent the hospital
I wonder what they need the radio for, and how well does this setup comply with HIPPA?
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 3314
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: Robot Uprising - Or, what to do when AI Does All The Jobs

Post by flybynight » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:46 am

NT2C wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:26 pm
...outfitting Spot with an iPad and radio so a medical technician could interface with patients in the triage tent the hospital
I wonder what they need the radio for, and how well does this setup comply with HIPPA?
HIPPA is useful for humans security. Something AI neither follows or notices. Humans are numbered data. To be recorded and stored
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

User avatar
NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator
Posts: 8873
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:37 pm
Location: Outside of your jurisdiction officer

Re: Robot Uprising - Or, what to do when AI Does All The Jobs

Post by NT2C » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:52 am

flybynight wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:46 am
NT2C wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:26 pm
...outfitting Spot with an iPad and radio so a medical technician could interface with patients in the triage tent the hospital
I wonder what they need the radio for, and how well does this setup comply with HIPPA?
HIPPA is useful for humans security. Something AI neither follows or notices. Humans are numbered data. To be recorded and stored
If they're using this for patient interviews, as per the article, then protected patient data could possibly be compromised if the link isn't secure. While the iPad link would meet HIPPA I wonder what the radio is for. If that is also used for patient data it needs encryption too, and you'd be amazed at how many people think those "privacy" codes on FRS/GMRS radios actually afford some kind of privacy.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

User avatar
NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator
Posts: 8873
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:37 pm
Location: Outside of your jurisdiction officer

Re: Robot Uprising - Or, what to do when AI Does All The Jobs

Post by NT2C » Thu May 14, 2020 12:22 pm

Our labs have found a weakness! One of the techs was a little remiss in cleaning up after the chimps and...

Image
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

User avatar
woodsghost
* * * * *
Posts: 3708
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 3:45 pm

Re: Robot Uprising - Or, what to do when AI Does All The Jobs

Post by woodsghost » Thu May 14, 2020 12:34 pm

Just something I've been considering;

If the virus kicks us into a big depression or recession, I think human labor will be cheap enough that the investment in robots will be slowed.

If we have a fast economic recovery, I think robots will continue at their current pace of development and distribution in society.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

User avatar
raptor2
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator
Posts: 733
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:48 pm

Re: Robot Uprising - Or, what to do when AI Does All The Jobs

Post by raptor2 » Thu May 14, 2020 1:55 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 12:34 pm
Just something I've been considering;

If the virus kicks us into a big depression or recession, I think human labor will be cheap enough that the investment in robots will be slowed.

If we have a fast economic recovery, I think robots will continue at their current pace of development and distribution in society.
I think it will be industry dependent.

IMO the virus will drive automation faster in some cases.

For instance fast food (cashier/order taking roles), banking (tellers), hotel and airline check in positions. These positions are already being replaced by smart phone apps. I think any cashier role can be automated with self check out & remote human supervision via CCTV.

I do see a large population pool of truck drivers being available which may help that industry which may reduce the drive to automate long haul trucking.
Duco Ergo Sum


raptor2 is the new profile name for raptor.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8190

User avatar
NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator
Posts: 8873
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:37 pm
Location: Outside of your jurisdiction officer

Re: Robot Uprising - Or, what to do when AI Does All The Jobs

Post by NT2C » Thu May 14, 2020 3:10 pm

raptor2 wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 1:55 pm
I think any cashier role can be automated with self check out & remote human supervision via CCTV.
I'm going to disagree with that, simply because there are so many tasks that a human cashier handles that I can't see being mechanized in the foreseeable future. Dealing with damaged or illegible barcodes for example, or dealing with customer questions/complaints. I think there will always need to be a human available for things of this nature.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Post Reply

Return to “What Would You Do?”