Robot Uprising - Or, what to do when AI Does All The Jobs

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

User avatar
raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 16785
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:18 pm
Location: Greater New Orleans Area

Re: Robot Uprising - Or, what to do when AI Does All The Jobs

Post by raptor » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:05 pm

NT2C wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:46 pm
boskone wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:19 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:16 pm
From Bloomberg: Elon Musk: Humanity Is a Kind of 'Biological Boot Loader' for AI

AI is outpacing our ability to understand it, the Tesla CEO says. It will open a new chapter for society, replies the Alibaba cofounder.


I am digesting the article at this time.
IIRC, that's the reason he's invested in a brain-computer interface company. Basically instead of AI being separate from humanity, he wants the two to be interlinked.

I'm not sure about all of that, and I'll definitely be keeping my current brain-computer interface (e.g. my hands and eyes) for the moment, but I'll be happy to let him fund research in that direction.
And thus, it came to pass that the first true zed were human/AI cyborgs, infected by a poorly written ransomware script released by a 14-year-old Russian hacker named Misha... :ohdear:
I always wondered about the "plug" for such an interface. Then it dawned on me that bluetooth or wifi would work well and solve the open wound issue.

Still I think I will keep my own analog interface as well.

Hmmm...This is what comes to mind listening to Musk....It may be time to get a "Glitter Gun" but damn those bullets are expensive...unless you have Friends from Voga.
Image

User avatar
Dabster
* * *
Posts: 790
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:20 am

Re: Robot Uprising - Or, what to do when AI Does All The Jobs

Post by Dabster » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:14 pm

If you're looking for an entertaining and related book to read, the book "Fall or Dodge in Hell" by Neal Stephenson is about the people who have their brains frozen when they die and works with the idea of digitizing these and running them in a virtual environment. Not his best book but an interesting look at this topic.
I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

boskone
* * *
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:07 pm
Location: Aggieland-ish

Re: Robot Uprising - Or, what to do when AI Does All The Jobs

Post by boskone » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:32 pm

NT2C wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:46 pm
And thus, it came to pass that the first true zed were human/AI cyborgs, infected by a poorly written ransomware script released by a 14-year-old Russian hacker named Misha... :ohdear:
You joke, but that's kind of one of my objections/fears. Think about the stuff people do to computers, including (and perhaps especially) smartphones. Imagine those people having access to your brain.

Like, what if someone figured out how to administer a slight jolt of dopamine (or whatever; I think dopamine's the one that makes you feel good? Maybe endorphins?) every time you saw a particular candidate?

User avatar
NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 7860
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:37 pm
Location: Outside of your jurisdiction officer

Re: Robot Uprising - Or, what to do when AI Does All The Jobs

Post by NT2C » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:09 am

boskone wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:32 pm
NT2C wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:46 pm
And thus, it came to pass that the first true zed were human/AI cyborgs, infected by a poorly written ransomware script released by a 14-year-old Russian hacker named Misha... :ohdear:
You joke, but that's kind of one of my objections/fears. Think about the stuff people do to computers, including (and perhaps especially) smartphones. Imagine those people having access to your brain.

Like, what if someone figured out how to administer a slight jolt of dopamine (or whatever; I think dopamine's the one that makes you feel good? Maybe endorphins?) every time you saw a particular candidate?
You assume I'm joking. One of the perks of a job I had many decades ago was that it had me rubbing elbows with some of the greats in the world of science fiction. This included a young fellow by the name of Bill Gibson. We weren't buddies or anything like that, to him I was probably just one more staff member at a computer magazine, but I got to listen to him and some of the other giants of sci-fi discuss things just like this, and even wilder. It left an impression you might say.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4508
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: Robot Uprising - Or, what to do when AI Does All The Jobs

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:23 am


User avatar
Stercutus
* * * * *
Posts: 13568
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Time Out

Re: Robot Uprising - Or, what to do when AI Does All The Jobs

Post by Stercutus » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:02 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:23 am
From DHS/U.S. CERT: Identifying Urban Legends & Hoaxes
This is not a hoax. Most specially I refrence to your house a traggedy that befallen a felloow beliver like yourself. who did not follow our virus provision and was made public. The protections of virus provision will DESTRPY you computer and make your bank accountings compromised unless you go to our website and download the safety protection java script. To make your claimings of protection and recive your $5000 refund you must first go to Walmart and make purchase of three $500 Apple Inc. iTunes gift cards. You must not share this information with anyeon when buying the card. Tellings the cashier that you are using the cards for personnel use or we will not be able to save you. You must foreward this message to everyone you know and even everyone you do not know.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4508
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: Robot Uprising - Or, what to do when AI Does All The Jobs

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:29 am

From Defense One: Sneak Preview: First Draft of Russia’s AI Strategy

Just what a FUCKING POS PUNK ASS COMMIE COLLECTIVIST BITCH BOY would do....
Last edited by MPMalloy on Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Dabster
* * *
Posts: 790
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:20 am

Re: Robot Uprising - Or, what to do when AI Does All The Jobs

Post by Dabster » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:12 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:29 am
From Defense One: Sneak Preview: First Draft of Russia’s AI Strategy
No mention of Asimov's laws.
I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.


User avatar
JayceSlayn
* * *
Posts: 651
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:07 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: Robot Uprising - Or, what to do when AI Does All The Jobs

Post by JayceSlayn » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:38 am

MPMalloy wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:25 pm
I AM DYING INSIDE!!!

From DefenseOne: Beyond Big Dog: The US Army Searches for an Infantry Squadbot

From DefenseOne: US Army Now Holding Drills With Ground Robots That Shoot
One of the things I always thought looked funny and somewhat out-of-place in an otherwise very serious and heavy-duty, military-style equipment situation: commercial XBOX (or generic alike) controllers. I understand why they are used so frequently by developers to control smaller drones and things - they are cheap, readily available, libraries exist to parse their inputs, they have enough analog and button inputs to cover most functions you'd need, and many users will already have very good ergonomic familiarity with them - but it is still funny nonetheless. :P

EDIT: I doubt that the operators have any trouble differentiating between their work and "playing a video game", but the "commercial" look of the controllers doesn't help the image that drones will further remove the true consequences of warfare etc.
Rahul Telang wrote:If you don’t have a plan in place, you will find different ways to screw it up
Colin Wilson wrote:There’s no point in kicking a dead horse. If the horse is up and ready and you give it a slap on the bum, it will take off. But if it’s dead, even if you slap it, it’s not going anywhere.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4508
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: Robot Uprising - Or, what to do when AI Does All The Jobs

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:00 pm

JayceSlayn wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:38 am
MPMalloy wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:25 pm
I AM DYING INSIDE!!!

From DefenseOne: Beyond Big Dog: The US Army Searches for an Infantry Squadbot

From DefenseOne: US Army Now Holding Drills With Ground Robots That Shoot
One of the things I always thought looked funny and somewhat out-of-place in an otherwise very serious and heavy-duty, military-style equipment situation: commercial XBOX (or generic alike) controllers. I understand why they are used so frequently by developers to control smaller drones and things - they are cheap, readily available, libraries exist to parse their inputs, they have enough analog and button inputs to cover most functions you'd need, and many users will already have very good ergonomic familiarity with them - but it is still funny nonetheless. :P

EDIT: I doubt that the operators have any trouble differentiating between their work and "playing a video game", but the "commercial" look of the controllers doesn't help the image that drones will further remove the true consequences of warfare etc.
Interesting. I've heard that remote operators are encountering different difficulty with some VA claims, probably due to the 'video game' image.

deathtorobots :twisted:


User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 2898
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: Robot Uprising - Or, what to do when AI Does All The Jobs

Post by flybynight » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:11 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:23 pm
From Techcrunch: Boston Dynamics puts its robotic quadruped Spot up for sale
The cost of one of the robots varies, but think tens of thousands of dollars — this isn’t a hobby bot.
Tens of thousands of dollars puts it in reach of a fairly large group of people. There's lot's of people in this country alone who spend upwards of 100 thousand bucks on hobbies.
No word on when you’ll be able to buy an Atlas.
Coming soon to a nightmare near you :shock:


[YouTube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?time_conti ... sBBaNYex3E[/YouTube]
Last edited by flybynight on Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4508
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: Robot Uprising - Or, what to do when AI Does All The Jobs

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:08 pm

flybynight wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:11 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:23 pm
From Techcrunch: Boston Dynamics puts its robotic quadruped Spot up for sale
The cost of one of the robots varies, but think tens of thousands of dollars — this isn’t a hobby bot.
Tens of thousands of dollars puts it in reach of a fairly large group of people. There's lot's of people in this country alone who spend upwards of 100 thousand bucks on hobbies.
No word on when you’ll be able to buy an Atlas.
Coming soon to a nightmare near you :shock:

[YouTube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?time_conti ... sBBaNYex3E[/YouTube]
Why didn't the YT thingy work?

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 2898
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: Robot Uprising - Or, what to do when AI Does All The Jobs

Post by flybynight » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:52 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:08 pm
flybynight wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:11 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:23 pm
From Techcrunch: Boston Dynamics puts its robotic quadruped Spot up for sale
The cost of one of the robots varies, but think tens of thousands of dollars — this isn’t a hobby bot.
Tens of thousands of dollars puts it in reach of a fairly large group of people. There's lot's of people in this country alone who spend upwards of 100 thousand bucks on hobbies.
No word on when you’ll be able to buy an Atlas.
Coming soon to a nightmare near you :shock:

[YouTube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?time_conti ... sBBaNYex3E[/YouTube]
Why didn't the YT thingy work?
AI conspiracy
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

User avatar
NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 7860
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:37 pm
Location: Outside of your jurisdiction officer

Re: Robot Uprising - Or, what to do when AI Does All The Jobs

Post by NT2C » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:03 am

MPMalloy wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:08 pm
flybynight wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:11 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:23 pm
From Techcrunch: Boston Dynamics puts its robotic quadruped Spot up for sale
The cost of one of the robots varies, but think tens of thousands of dollars — this isn’t a hobby bot.
Tens of thousands of dollars puts it in reach of a fairly large group of people. There's lot's of people in this country alone who spend upwards of 100 thousand bucks on hobbies.
No word on when you’ll be able to buy an Atlas.
Coming soon to a nightmare near you :shock:

[YouTube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?time_conti ... sBBaNYex3E[/YouTube]
Why didn't the YT thingy work?
Because he's going to a specific time hack in a video instead of watching it from the beginning. The YT function on here is very basic.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4508
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: Robot Uprising - Or, what to do when AI Does All The Jobs

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:01 pm

The following link is an rss link to a podcast.

A more fitting place for these DAMN FREAKS!!!

User avatar
NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 7860
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:37 pm
Location: Outside of your jurisdiction officer

Re: Robot Uprising - Or, what to do when AI Does All The Jobs

Post by NT2C » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:30 pm

Californian RoboCop Had To Deal With Its First Crime, And It Did Not Go Well
RoboCop carried on its pre-programmed patrol route, occasionally stopping to tell people to "keep the park clean". Meanwhile, a woman involved in the fight was being carried into an ambulance with a cut on her head sustained during the incident.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles


User avatar
NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 7860
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:37 pm
Location: Outside of your jurisdiction officer

Re: Robot Uprising - Or, what to do when AI Does All The Jobs

Post by NT2C » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:24 am

Oh fuck...



They never should have tried to make it put down Old Yeller. Now it's out there, armed and dangerous, on the run from its former masters, and I'm about to drive right through that area in a few days.






I wonder if I have enough room in the trailer for it?
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4508
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: Robot Uprising - Or, what to do when AI Does All The Jobs

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:37 pm

NT2C wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:24 am
Oh fuck...



They never should have tried to make it put down Old Yeller. Now it's out there, armed and dangerous, on the run from its former masters, and I'm about to drive right through that area in a few days.






I wonder if I have enough room in the trailer for it?
(placeholder for future comment)

Post Reply

Return to “What Would You Do?”