Flash mobs in Philly

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Flash mobs in Philly

Post by absinthe beginner » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:34 am

Large groups of teens have been storming into businesses, looting and assaulting customers and staff, in Philly. Are thugs becoming more brazen, and if so, why? And if things are getting this bad in "normal" times, what's it going to look like when the thin blue line is overwhelmed or stays home to protect their own families?

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2019/ ... olice-say/

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2019/ ... phia-wawa/

TacAir

Re: Flash mobs in Philly

Post by TacAir » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:57 am

Kind of like the times described in "Startship Troopers"

RAH had t knack of describe a possible future that seems to be becoming more like reality,....
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by absinthe beginner » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:08 am

"Clockwork Orange" is another dystopian tale that is starting to look more prescient.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:06 pm

There was a lot of this in Los Angeles in the few years preceding the L A riots.. it wasn't like a racial thing or a primarily gang thing. . A group of teenagers or adults would go. Into stores and just walk out with cases of mostly booze and snacks. If anyone tried to stop them, they got beat up or a weapon would get flashed.
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:28 pm

Was there supposed to be a "what would you do" question in this?

I'd most likely leave unless there was a strong reason to think I could make a difference. I don't think there's much many people can really do against a mob of 60 people looting a store. Even if it was my business and therefore my family's livelihood at stake, I would probably rely on insurance before violence to protect myself. If I knew insurance wouldn't cover my losses sufficiently, there is precedence of a lone armed person persuading a mob to change course.

I don't think my local authorities would be supportive of me pulling a firearm to stop a mob from stealing snacks and alcohol from a business that is not mine.

If we're talking about this in context of wider societal breakdown, I think I'd have better gates on the doors and windows of my business, and be quick to lock the place up.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:14 pm

What will it look like? It will look like the 1970s where any business that was open in the hood had bars and bullet proof glass around the cashier. You could not mob such a store because everything was behind the counter. The people will stop paying for public transportation to keep the hood rats out of their neighborhood or just leave the area and those places will look like Detroit.

But it won't happen.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

Return to “What Would You Do?”