Mental Exercise

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Mental Exercise

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:12 am

I guess what I was getting at was how to get along in 2018 without any cell/internet use. Just *you*. Everyone else is wired.

Just a thought experiment.

Not going all 'primitive'.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:44 am

I just remembered there are a number of organic farmers near large and small communities who make lots of money and really don't need internet access. However, having a device to swipe & read credit cards helps a lot with obtaining & maintaining customer relationships.

I have watched these folks thrive in communities from 12,000 people to 12,000,000 people, so you can live in a lot of different communities and make this work. Having an internet presence (website & social media) helps, but is not necessary. Living near larger, wealthier, communities means more opportunity for the organic farmers.

I have seen people grow and sell organic fruits, vegetables, honey (often raw) & bee related products, and free-range, organic, hormone-free meats. Often they specialize in one of the 4 categories, but I think the better business choice is to diversify into several of the categories. These folks can make very comfortable livings while just showing up at "farmers markets" and working out of their booth (or renting a corner of a parking lot). Even with cash only businesses (though again, the most financially successful allow for credit card use). Meat and bees are more yearly while fruits and veggies are often more seasonal. However, there is a lot of info out now showing how to grow organic vegetables all through the year, so you have product all year long.

There are also seasonal businesses which make tons of money during the tourist season and in fact make enough money to carry the owners through the rest of the year. Ice cream shops are a great example, though one cannot just randomly open a business. One needs to put some thought into the location and business model.

Food trucks could be a great business which does not require much internet or cellular presence. Though internet presence and consideration of the local community & culture will help increase chances of success & viability. Also, I think food trucks are something even physically challenged people can do to earn money, live off system, and make a life for themselves.

Those who have run their own businesses will know I"m glossing over and probably whitewashing some details. My point is not to say "look how easy it is! Everyone should do this!" My point is "here are some options for those who want to live off-system and don't want to be a tattoo artist or lawn-mower...or dancer...."
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:13 pm

My grandparents don't have internet, computer, email, or cell phones.

They just make us do all of their stuff for them if it requires that hahaha.

Does that count?
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:32 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:13 pm
My grandparents don't have internet, computer, email, or cell phones. They just make us do all of their stuff for them if it requires that hahaha.

Does that count?
Yes. When I posed the question, I was thinking in terms of a disaster. Disasters being involuntary. However a 'disaster' like this, affecting just one person, & no one else....

I need to rethink what I was thinking. :wink:

Return to “What Would You Do?”