Robot Uprising - Or, what to do when AI Does All The Jobs

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Re: Robot Uprising - Or, what to do when AI Does All The Jobs

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:59 pm

Asymetryczna wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:43 am
Foreign Policy Magazine Far more people will find their jobs changed rather than lost because of automation

Great article about how things could go right. And
Getting this wrong could deepen society’s divisions and exacerbate inequality, political polarization, instability, and even global insecurity. It will also negatively impact millions of workers — profoundly and personally. This is especially true for workers at the lower end of the income spectrum, from the 18-year-old American cashier trying to earn a living in her first paying job to the 35-year-old Bangladeshi garment worker striving for a better life for her three children.
MYESSSS.... Service those Robot Overlords!!!!
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:10 pm

Service with a smile... :twisted:

analysis autonomy

Re: Robot Uprising - Or, what to do when AI Does All The Job

Post by analysis autonomy » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:36 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:26 pm

In short, I think people will have two main occupations if AI and robotics ever reaches some sort of "replace the humans" level of efficiency. Those are:

1) Decision Making.

2) Quality Control.
Those are two really good points I hadn't though of. They tie in to the main overall concept that robots are good at going, but they don't know where to go in the first place. Similarly, with quality control, they might be effective at making "good" products, but they don't know what "good" is.

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: None

Post by Asymetryczna » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:11 am

Read some Kurzweil. Those two "main occupations" you conceptualize has come and gone and you don't even see it. All that remains is to combine us and I'm not certain about that. Let me explain it like this: Have you ever seen the classic film of the ages titled, "The Princess Bride?" There is a scene where one if climbing a cliff, and, upon looking down, noticed that a giant has begun the climb as well, in chase? Then, every time the man being chased looks back again, he notices that the giant has closed the distance in half?" Well, he is upon us. I just don't know the extent he is inside us yet. Just today I watched a man walk down the street totally absorbed in a little computer he held in his hand. Or, did I see a little computer move down the street transported by the man it controls? (Disclaimer. Glad I kept this Web TV so that I can type messages on this tv screen.)
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:30 pm

From NPR: What Happens When A.I. Takes The Wheel?
This is a pretty good article, not just about AI, but electric vehicles & transportation in a more generalized sense.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:08 pm

My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

VTPATRIOT

Post by VTPATRIOT » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:35 pm

teotwaki wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:08 pm
nice to see ya on the forum still Ive been off for years
I agree its not a natural progression we ought to be taking
several friends scattered in the military around the country too fear over it
science exceeds science fiction
“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”
― Edward Abbey

w3rdtoyamama
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series.

Post by w3rdtoyamama » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:36 am

AI can do a lot like take peoples fast food orders but there are things where AI cannot take over.
Czechnology wrote:Lots of people enjoy saying "Move" when people complain about their local/state laws, but that's a churlish, ignorant thing to say.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:18 am

w3rdtoyamama wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:36 am
AI can do a lot like take peoples fast food orders but there are things where AI cannot take over.
So said the duty officer when they activated Skynet. :ohdear:

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:51 am

majorhavoc wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:18 am
w3rdtoyamama wrote:
So said the duty officer when they activated Skynet. :ohdear:
I can't believe that there are people out there, human beings, that still don 't get this. :roll: :x

Last edited by MPMalloy on Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:12 am

I came across this, for you Terminator junkies... :D

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by majorhavoc » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:21 am

MPMalloy wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:12 am
I came across this, for you Terminator junkies... :D
If someone would add Marty McFly and Doc Brown to that timeline, I'd frame it and hang it on my wall. :crazy:

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:32 am

w3rdtoyamama wrote:
Yet.

On the positive side, you'll probably get fries with your annihilation.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:22 am

NT2C wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:32 am
w3rdtoyamama wrote:
Yet.

On the positive side, you'll probably get fries with your annihilation.
Or... get cooked with them :wink:
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:37 pm

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:10 pm

NT2C wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:37 pm
:mrgreen: :rofl: :mrgreen: :rofl: :mrgreen:

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:57 pm

No, Robots Cannot Replace Us

As usual, I agree with most of the article, but not everything.

Like the complete & total lack of attention that Mises pays to the whole motherfuckinghumanexterminationcamppart :twisted:

ETA: Robot - This is a good overall article on the problem. :mrgreen:

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:38 pm

From ABC (Australia): Made in China 2025: Xi Jinping's plan to turn China into the AI world leader
Eleven trillion renminbi: it's a number that's hard to comprehend.
Key points:

China wants to be world leader in AI by 2030
It's a key part of Beijing's plan to refashion its image as a cheap goods manufacturer
Experts warn against deploying AI in warfare too quickly

In Australian dollars that's about $2.41 trillion — far bigger than Australia's entire economy — and it's the target China has set for the value of its artificial intelligence and AI-related industries by 2030.

China is said to have accounted for more than half of all global AI investment over the last five years and in just the next three years alone Beijing expects a tenfold increase in the size of the industry.
Commie AI. The end is well & truely fucking....nye.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by majorhavoc » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:01 am

Goddammit. Those ass clowns at Boston Dynamics just can't leave well enough alone, can they? I was still liking my chances against plodding android soldiers, cinderblock throwing mechanical donkeys, even the 40mph robotic cheetahs - at least until they equip them with gun turrets (which you just know Boston Dynamics is itching to do).

But now these yahoos are developing an army of f*cking mechanized killer Jackie Chans. How the hell am I supposed to go toe to toe with a RoboChan? Goddamn Boston Dynamics ...

FYI: note that BD's robotic abominations from hell have long since abandoned the control and power umbilicals they were tethered to just a couple of years ago. These things will be free ranging in just a few more years. My guess is they're already self-aware, pissed off and plotting their enslavement/eradication of their human creators. And don't doubt that Alexa, Siri, Echo Dot and that unassuming Roomba vaccum you have shuffling around the family room aren't already in on the plan.

Such is the hubris of man ...

JayceSlayn

Post by JayceSlayn » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:25 am

majorhavoc wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:01 am
Goddammit. Those ass clowns at Boston Dynamics just can't leave well enough alone, can they? I was still liking my chances against plodding android soldiers, cinderblock throwing mechanical donkeys, even the 40mph robotic cheetahs - at least until they equip them with gun turrets (which you just know Boston Dynamics is itching to do).

But now these yahoos are developing an army of f*cking mechanized killer Jackie Chans. How the hell am I supposed to go toe to toe with a RoboChan? Goddamn Boston Dynamics ...

FYI: note that BD's robotic abominations from hell have long since abandoned the control and power umbilicals they were tethered to just a couple of years ago. These things will be free ranging in just a few more years. My guess is they're already self-aware, pissed off and plotting their enslavement/eradication of their human creators. And don't doubt that Alexa, Siri, Echo Dot and that unassuming Roomba vaccum you have shuffling around the family room aren't already in on the plan.

It is weird to see something getting pretty close to 80's era Terminator performance IRL...

Returning to another video by my favorite YouTube techno-philosopher:

While he doesn't explicitly makes the point as much in this video (though he does in others), I also took away that we're (homo sapiens) the last humans for another reason: there will be no further natural biological evolution of the homo genus. We'll transform ourselves into cyborgs and/or enhance our genetics artificially, upload our minds into machines, or simply be superseded by our technology. Or we'll die along with much of everything else in the 6th mass extinction (or by simply annihilating ourselves anytime after). So yeah, this is probably the end of the line for classical hominids.
Rahul Telang wrote:If you don’t have a plan in place, you will find different ways to screw it up
Colin Wilson wrote:There’s no point in kicking a dead horse. If the horse is up and ready and you give it a slap on the bum, it will take off. But if it’s dead, even if you slap it, it’s not going anywhere.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:50 am

majorhavoc wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:01 am

(snip)

Let 'em bring it. I have a plan for those Roombas...

3 out of the 4 cats we have are now over the 14 lb. mark and just itching to get a Roomba ride and drain its batteries while clogging its internals with massive amounts of cat hair. The fourth cat is especially adept at producing the biggest, smelliest, slimiest hairballs ever. Hairballs so disgustingly massive they would stop a Roomba in its tracks. As for the Unholy Trio of Alexa, Siri, and Echo, they have never been allowed to cross my thresholds, and never will be.

These new threats from the traitors at BD though... I wonder how well they'd fare against cats riding Roombas with tripwires circling around their feet? Or a barrage of 12 gauge slugs?

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:57 pm

Double fraking mother-frak! Rescue Robot

Is this shit for real?

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:20 am

They're coming...

and they will dance on our graves...

:gonk:

Return to “What Would You Do?”