Minutemen groups in A PAW

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Minutemen groups in A PAW

Post by NT2C » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:06 am

woodsghost wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:46 pm
So they go from Pro-government (defend the colonies) to anti-government (revolution) to questionable (citizen groups harassing people between 1860 to 1940?) to largely anti-government (anti-tax groups and anti-UN helicopter groups with a little Nazis for flavor) to .... pro-government, anti-government, pro-society, anti-society, pro-constitution, anti-constitution, citizens with mutual interests groups. Those waters get muddy in a hurry and carry a lot of history. A lot of ugly history.

And not that I condone Youtube, but this is one I felt made some good points. I'm sure there is bias and whatever. It has been about 2 years since I watched it, but it outlines some of the dimensions current militias take and some of the ...issues...they can face. Watch the group dynamics issues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejczhD-iZlc
Warning: politics
Topic locked for review, corrected, unlocked.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

JF89
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido , Dead Set (tv show) ,28 days/weeks later.

Post by JF89 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:13 pm

Well, I think theres been some really good responses.

The very reason I said I didnt want to discuss the definition of "militia" is because it gets political real fast. (Although some of the stuff was very informative.) My bad ,NT2C. Not trying to start any sh** storms that the mods will have to deal with.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:22 pm

JF89 wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:13 pm

The very reason I said I didnt want to discuss the definition of "militia" is because it gets political real fast. (Although some of the stuff was very informative.) My bad ,NT2C. Not trying to start any sh** storms that the mods will have to deal with.
Hey, it's what they pay us the big bucks for. :wink:
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:29 pm

NT2C wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:22 pm
JF89 wrote:

AND The shiny black
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:35 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:46 pm
So they go from Pro-government (defend the colonies) to anti-government (revolution) to questionable (citizen groups harassing people between 1860 to 1940?) to largely anti-government (anti-tax groups and anti-UN helicopter groups with a little Nazis for flavor) to .... pro-government, anti-government, pro-society, anti-society, pro-constitution, anti-constitution, citizens with mutual interests groups. Those waters get muddy in a hurry and carry a lot of history. A lot of ugly history.

And not that I condone Youtube, but this is one I felt made some good points. I'm sure there is bias and whatever. It has been about 2 years since I watched it, but it outlines some of the dimensions current militias take and some of the ...issues...they can face. Watch the group dynamics issues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejczhD-iZlc
Warning: political content

edited: 08/06/18 - NT2C
Actually If you think about it, they wern't pro government in the beginning either. Remember it was called the Revolutionary war. ( hint them were MURICANS revolting against their government )

John Titor was right

moab

Post by moab » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:46 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:10 am
moab wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:42 pm
I can't find the original post or blog. But here is what he wrote:
Well far be it for me to dispute one anonymous, unsubstanisated internet blogger repeated endlessly by websites that sell prep supplies and training courses.
https://shtfschool.com/blog/

I had similar thoughts. He actually does sell a survival online course now. And in person survival classes. But he's added a lot to his writing since I first saw it several years ago. At that time it was basically that one post above. But if you read what he has contributed thus far. It's hard to argue that he's at least not real. He still lives in Bosnia. Which by all accounts is still a SHTF mess. Maybe post SHTF but still a mess. Bosnia is currently a SHTF place compared to the US.

His advice is sound. I would encourage you to read just his blog post page. And give us your thoughts. a lot of great information imho. I find his outlook to be refreshing. Especially his observance of modern preppers falsehoods. Like they are going to be rich having stored up more stuff than anyone else around them. In reality they will probably just get ripped off by a bigger stronger force. Sobering. He details what people are willing to do when their kids are starving to death. It's easy to justify a lot in that situation. Opens your eyes to what you could possibly encounter in a world gone mad. How important hygiene is. It's a lot of info. That does not seem fake to me.

He has great advice. Not just on what to prep. But how to handle it before and after a SHTF event. His tactics are eye opening. How not to get killed over what you have. And how to successfully trade in a PAW. Also how important skills are over supplies. Your less likely to get killed over your skills. Cause where are they gonna go if they kill you and need you to fix whatever again? And those skills and the equipment that might go with it - continues to pay off. Unlike a stockpile of any given commodity.

I'm still reading his blog. I don't know how much his online survival course is. But I'd be willing to research it more. Simply based on his writing. I don't see anything glaring that would lead me to believe he's full of shit. Everything I've read so far seems accurate. And actually useful. Like I have traditionally hated "grey man". But he makes some very valid points of playing it grey in the city. And how to accomplish that while still staying safe.

Basically you've got to have a lot of friends and family you can trust. With a lot of effective firepower. And a way to hide everything you own. From EVERYBODY. Even when you've gone out - maybe especially - when you've gone out to trade. It's actually fascinating stuff. And his course appears to go into much more detail with detailed drawing etc. etc. I'll be researching it more. I've never seen anything like it. And at least to me it breaths reality in a real SHTF situation. Bosnia wasn't Katrina that was over in a month or two. It went on for 4 years. And is still going on in some ways. Simply learning from anyone currently living in a failed 3rd world country is eye opening.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:55 pm

flybynight wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:29 pm
NT2C wrote:
JF89 wrote:

AND The shiny black
Uh, no, those we have to buy ourselves.

But we do get a generous uniform allowance. :twisted:

JF89
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido , Dead Set (tv show) ,28 days/weeks later.

Post by JF89 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:05 pm

moab wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:46 pm
Stercutus wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:10 am
moab wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:42 pm
I can't find the original post or blog. But here is what he wrote:
Well far be it for me to dispute one anonymous, unsubstanisated internet blogger repeated endlessly by websites that sell prep supplies and training courses.
https://shtfschool.com/blog/

I had similar thoughts. He actually does sell a survival online course now. And in person survival classes. But he's added a lot to his writing since I first saw it several years ago. At that time it was basically that one post above. But if you read what he has contributed thus far. It's hard to argue that he's at least not real. He still lives in Bosnia. Which by all accounts is still a SHTF mess. Maybe post SHTF but still a mess. Bosnia is currently a SHTF place compared to the US.

His advice is sound. I would encourage you to read just his blog post page. And give us your thoughts. a lot of great information imho. I find his outlook to be refreshing. Especially his observance of modern preppers falsehoods. Like they are going to be rich having stored up more stuff than anyone else around them. In reality they will probably just get ripped off by a bigger stronger force. Sobering. He details what people are willing to do when their kids are starving to death. It's easy to justify a lot in that situation. Opens your eyes to what you could possibly encounter in a world gone mad. How important hygiene is. It's a lot of info. That does not seem fake to me.

He has great advice. Not just on what to prep. But how to handle it before and after a SHTF event. His tactics are eye opening. How not to get killed over what you have. And how to successfully trade in a PAW. Also how important skills are over supplies. Your less likely to get killed over your skills. Cause where are they gonna go if they kill you and need you to fix whatever again? And those skills and the equipment that might go with it - continues to pay off. Unlike a stockpile of any given commodity.

I'm still reading his blog. I don't know how much his online survival course is. But I'd be willing to research it more. Simply based on his writing. I don't see anything glaring that would lead me to believe he's full of shit. Everything I've read so far seems accurate. And actually useful. Like I have traditionally hated "grey man". But he makes some very valid points of playing it grey in the city. And how to accomplish that while still staying safe.

Basically you've got to have a lot of friends and family you can trust. With a lot of effective firepower. And a way to hide everything you own. From EVERYBODY. Even when you've gone out - maybe especially - when you've gone out to trade. It's actually fascinating stuff. And his course appears to go into much more detail with detailed drawing etc. etc. I'll be researching it more. I've never seen anything like it. And at least to me it breaths reality in a real SHTF situation. Bosnia wasn't Katrina that was over in a month or two. It went on for 4 years. And is still going on in some ways. Simply learning from anyone currently living in a failed 3rd world country is eye opening.
Ferfal (Modern Survival blog) survived the economic collapse in Argentina, his book and blog are pretty good.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:50 pm

NT2C wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:55 pm
flybynight wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:29 pm
NT2C wrote:
JF89 wrote:

AND The shiny black

I can only imagine :lol:

John Titor was right

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:55 pm

flybynight wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:50 pm
NT2C wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:55 pm

I can only imagine :lol:
My locker had a bunch of these already in it.

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Last of the Mohicans, Caddyshack

Post by Asymetryczna » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:39 pm

He actually does sell
Of course he does. I visited there again just last month. The story that is popular is whatever it is you want to find. One can walk down sniper alley...the cheap corner cd shops are gone...lunch with Dutch mil friends is relaxed if you discuss Disney vacations and avoid Srebrenica...the differences so large and obvious to the aware and knowing are only for those that are willing to read beyond the front pages...as punks visit new locales with more cameras to capture their hatred. The story is instructive but the danger is much closer, and similar. The Bosnia-Herzegovina issues have centuries but time speeds up. Srebrenica fits here though. Not PAW. Like post-modernism, a misnomer. Creative, abstract, dumb.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:29 pm

flybynight wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:31 am
fbn works for me. Or if I'm in trouble FBN
How about "TAA" (wink) :mrgreen:
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:01 pm

for loadouts you can adapt to your A/O, laws, etc. If "militias" are banned start a shooting club or something like the Red Dawn Movie Re-enactment Club.

Garand Thumb has good no nonsense videos on gear setups

[YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCzIqgzT390[/YouTube]

[YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHru6rNixHs[/YouTube]

or go to youtube and search on "minuteman gear loadout" for lots of videos
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

RonnyRonin
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombieland wasn't bad, but shaun started it for me.

Post by RonnyRonin » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:22 pm

If the core question is "how will they be outfitted" there isn't much need to speculate, with a few exceptions they will have what they have now. I would throw them in three rough categories;

1) Active MIL/LEOs

(Also FBN's photo)
Their equipment will not just disappear in the PAW, depending on how said PAW came about some of it may have been destroyed but armored vehicles, heavy weapons etc. will not just sit idly in national guard or police armories. If the local government is intact enough some of the equipment may be centrally stored and controlled again, but I would think much personal gear (a soldiers plate carrier, a policeman's patrol rifle, perhaps even a SAW for a lucky few) would follow folks home either with the blessing of whatever local government still exists or in the chaos.

2) Preppers/gun hobbiests/retired military

ARs, AR500 armor, Chinese load bearing gear, Baofeng shortwave radios. The better funded and more serious (pre-PAW) will have NODs and better quality gear, but I think the previous sentence will sum up the majority in this category.

3) Normies/Casuals

A gun. maybe two. Probably not much else.
I think you will be hard pressed to find many neighborhoods without at least one sportsman/gun owner, many of whom could modestly outfit a few trusted friends, but largely with .22s, bolt actions and bird guns.

Both armor and AR sales seem to go up every year, so the longer between then and now the more folks will move from the 3rd category into the 2nd. As someone in the 2nd category my moments notice neighborhood watch load out would simply be a plate carrier, a radio, a few mags, a FAK and an AR. Anything more then that is probably more of a patrolling load and not within the "minute man" conversation.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

moab

Post by moab » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:12 pm

RonnyRonin wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:22 pm
If the core question is "how will they be outfitted" there isn't much need to speculate, with a few exceptions they will have what they have now. I would throw them in three rough categories;

1) Active MIL/LEOs

(Also FBN's photo)
Their equipment will not just disappear in the PAW, depending on how said PAW came about some of it may have been destroyed but armored vehicles, heavy weapons etc. will not just sit idly in national guard or police armories. If the local government is intact enough some of the equipment may be centrally stored and controlled again, but I would think much personal gear (a soldiers plate carrier, a policeman's patrol rifle, perhaps even a SAW for a lucky few) would follow folks home either with the blessing of whatever local government still exists or in the chaos.

ARs, AR500 armor, Chinese load bearing gear, Baofeng shortwave radios. The better funded and more serious (pre-PAW) will have NODs and better quality gear, but I think the previous sentence will sum up the majority in this category.

3) Normies/Casuals

A gun. maybe two. Probably not much else.
I think you will be hard pressed to find many neighborhoods without at least one sportsman/gun owner, many of whom could modestly outfit a few trusted friends, but largely with .22s, bolt actions and bird guns.

Both armor and AR sales seem to go up every year, so the longer between then and now the more folks will move from the 3rd category into the 2nd. As someone in the 2nd category my moments notice neighborhood watch load out would simply be a plate carrier, a radio, a few mags, a FAK and an AR. Anything more then that is probably more of a patrolling load and not within the "minute man" conversation.
Very well done. I applaud you sir. And agree. Nice pics btw - even if you do attribute them to someone else. Really nice write up.

I also like your use of the acronym "NOD". I remember that with fond memories from my years in the Marine Corps STA platoon. Kind of like a recon platoon for a Marine battalion. I used to teach classes at night on the various NOD's we had at our disposal. (Do they still call them NODS? I don't hang out on tactical forums very much.) They were gigantic things. The main one we used. The size of a full size large pack. In fact if you carried one you had no possibility of carrying anything else except maybe your rifle and web gear. Enormous things. You could strap an M16 to one and sight it in to hit whatever the NOD was looking at in it's cross hairs though. Someone in our platoon claimed to have shot a coyote out at 29 Palms this way one night. But I never saw it.

We did have ground sensors though. They were actually pretty cool devices. I never hear much mention of these type of devices today. But they were effective and small. Like the size of two D cell batteries. You flipped out their flat metal antennas. Throw them on the ground as you retreated or set up a hasty ambush. And you could here when anyone came walking or driving down whatever path or area you placed them in. So you could hear people coming long before they got to you. Or right before and you could set off claymores. You got to where you could tell the difference between jeeps and tanks and squads and platoons etc. etc. We seemed to use a lot of ground sensors. They were like the big deal when I was in. We even dropped larger ones from helicopters. Actually trained hanging out the side of a helicopter and hitting sheet sized targets so they could be mapped back where they were listening to the sensors. Brings back a lot of fond memories. Which are the ones I prefer to remember. ;)
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:49 pm

moab wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:12 pm
Do they still call them NODS?
I think NVD and NVG has largely replaced NODs in conversation, but I couldn't say for sure. What I can tell you is that even airsofters with deep enough pockets have PVS-14s these days, which are barely larger then a LRF, have amazing clarity, and run a very long time on a single AA. Times have indeed changed.

AK, Glock, Pie.

moab

Post by moab » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:55 am

RonnyRonin wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:49 pm
moab wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:12 pm
Do they still call them NODS?
I think NVD and NVG has largely replaced NODs in conversation, but I couldn't say for sure. What I can tell you is that even airsofters with deep enough pockets have PVS-14s these days, which are barely larger then a LRF, have amazing clarity, and run a very long time on a single AA. Times have indeed changed.
Wow! $3,989 on Amazon. And for airsoft?!! Thats crazy. Do you know how many guns I could build for that much? But then again. "To see in the dark.". Ya I could see the tactical advantages. lol. ;) But it's still pretty far down my list of preps.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:59 am

Those Oregon guys were practically all stolen valor/ phony types with none that I know of being retired. I won't go in to your pic but one of those guys in particular is a real POS. This brings up another risk of where to put your faith in people. Today I can go on line and verify electronically within a minute if someone has served or not. The day after the lights go out anyone can claim anything. Gain a higher level of skepticism when times are tough, you won't be disappointed that way.

I think you will be hard pressed to find many neighborhoods without at least one sportsman/gun owner, many of whom could modestly outfit a few trusted friends
I live in rural Alabama. Some of my neighbors could outfit battalions. Seriously. I am absolutely certain that my county has a minimum of three guns for every person with the serious collectors well in to the hundreds of firearms. Also most people outside the city know how to shoot.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:55 am

Stercutus wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:59 am
I think you will be hard pressed to find many neighborhoods without at least one sportsman/gun owner, many of whom could modestly outfit a few trusted friends
I live in rural Alabama. Some of my neighbors could outfit battalions. Seriously. I am absolutely certain that my county has a minimum of three guns for every person with the serious collectors well in to the hundreds of firearms. Also most people outside the city know how to shoot.
I live in Virginia, not that far from Quantico, A.P. Hill, Dahlgren, etc. (seriously, we have more military bases within 100 miles than some entire countries) and my neighbors and your neighbors could probably join forces and outfit a small nation.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:27 am

I didn't sift through all this in much detail... a lot of theories on here are pretty good.

To keep it simple, I'd say as far as gear, it would be "the best that is available" which would probably mean "bring what ya got".

Having said that, I believe if there is a large scale event to wipe out the society as we know it, after restructuring, it would be similar to the old west days. Those with a lot of stuff will be town barons and the communities can vote for law men to keep order but may be highly corrupt and political is the nasty cynical way of putting it. The nice way is the town will band together to have a local structure with little regional or federal rule.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

moab

Post by moab » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:34 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Those Oregon guys were practically all stolen valor/ phony types with none that I know of being retired. I won't go in to your pic but one of those guys in particular is a real POS. This brings up another risk of where to put your faith in people. Today I can go on line and verify electronically within a minute if someone has served or not. The day after the lights go out anyone can claim anything. Gain a higher level of skepticism when times are tough, you won't be disappointed that way.

"Today I can go on line and verify electronically within a minute if someone has served or not. The day after the lights go out anyone can claim anything."

How can you do that? Very interesting. I've wondered about a lot of those guys myself. I've tried to get relatives military records. And it's a bit of a struggle unless you have power of attorney or are the next living relative. I have copies of my own, my fathers from Vietnam and my grandfathers from WWII. But I've never run across a site where you could simply verify if someone was in or not.

I have distant relatives living in eastern washington. That are like that. That scare the shit out of me. Like "Some of Hitlers ideas were good ones." Kind of scary. Rural farmers. With plenty of money and supplies and lots of guns. And interestingly enough. Quite a bit of training. But their attitudes are scary as hell. I'm sure their towns will band together. But the corruption and outright scary racism would keep me far away from any kind of safety they could offer. Hard people too. But not many vets or LE. a lot of wannabes though.

Meanwhile on the other side of the mountains (Washington is split in two by the top of the Rocky's called the Cascades. Rain forest on the west side. Desert like southwest on the east side. But lots of irrigation and farming.) on the westside of Washington I have family and friends from many walks of life. With prior military skills and LE experience. a lot of Native Indians that still practice traditional ways. Most in the family are avid hunters and fishermen. So a fair amount of experience with guns and the woods. (There aren't really a lot of woods the further east you go in Washington. Just dry and flat. Looks like Afghanistan to be honest.) Most of the older male members were in various wars - Middle East, Vietnam, Korea, WWII. A brother in law from a fairly long career from the Army. But the rest of the vets are older. The rest are strong people with homesteading experience. a lot own guns. And hunt with bows and firearms. But not all trained enough together to be an effective force imho. At least not yet. They could make a strong village though. Which is one of my main goals once we move back there. Is to buy land in a defendable position in the mountains of western Washington. And start involving them in get togethers and planning for local emergencies first. Many are preppers. SO I won't have to push that hard. But the towns I plan to move into are very resilient. Outdoor types. The actual town I plan to move to is a long - logging truck road away from the small mountain town I was born and raised in. They have a solid rifle range. And a good contingent of military and exmilitary types. But appear to be more open minded. And not to much on the "Hitler" side of things. I want to maintain my connections in my small home town and develop new ones in this new town we hope to move into the outskirts of.

It's not impossible to find open minded people into guns and prepping and survival. At least not in Western Washington. And I know I could operate freely in these communities. In a SHTF scenarios. Regardless of politics or religion. But getting the less hateful ones together is a challenge. Easier and Easier as the world continues to look like it's falling apart. Where I plan to build is full of rivers and lakes and streams. Lots of wildlife and resources. Lots of timber. And the town is a choke point before getting to where I want to build. And the other side deadends into National Forest. With the exception of one dirt logging road. So choke points at both ends of access. So it's fairly well protected should a mass exodus occur in the population centers of Western Washington further west from our position. I've been planning this for years. But we were waiting on my son to finish school. And now on my father in law to pass. He's at the end of his life. And is slowly fading. But we don't want to move until his situation either comes to a conclusion or he turns a corner for the better. I have the VA loan. My brother in law from the Army just got prequalified for 400k. Not that they could afford that much. But that's enough for them to move to a similar location. I'm hoping close to me. Our income is higher. So I hope to qualify for the max(?) 400k too. Hopefully finding a nice larger piece of land with power and a well. A creek would be nice too. River is close by. Enough that you could pump or at least travel daily to get water if need be.

But ya. The people. It's always hard to find people of like minds. Especially if your open minded but also trained to protect yourself and loved ones. HArd to weed thru the wannabes and the ones that are truly resilient. The gun issue is really the tough part. My most intelligent friends won't own a gun. Or even consider being around one. At least not up to this point. Maybe once I move home that will be different. I hope so.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:44 pm

moab wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:34 pm

"Today I can go on line and verify electronically within a minute if someone has served or not. The day after the lights go out anyone can claim anything."

How can you do that? Very interesting. I've wondered about a lot of those guys myself. I've tried to get relatives military records. And it's a bit of a struggle unless you have power of attorney or are the next living relative. I have copies of my own, my fathers from Vietnam and my grandfathers from WWII. But I've never run across a site where you could simply verify if someone was in or not.
Not an official site but here is one:
http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php? ... abae&f=199

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:10 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Those Oregon guys were practically all stolen valor/ phony types with none that I know of being retired.
Certainly it is safe to put the majority of folks that look like that into the first two and not the third subcategory, but it is largely moot to my point. In my experience most vets I know that are at least two of the three subcatagories outfit themselves largely the same.

In a discussion of capabilities, training and mindset the distinction would be hugely important.

moab wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:55 am

Wow! $3,989 on Amazon. And for airsoft?!! Thats crazy. Do you know how many guns I could build for that much? But then again. "To see in the dark.". Ya I could see the tactical advantages. lol. ;) But it's still pretty far down my list of preps.
savvy shoppers aren't paying that much, and it is still cheaper then a lot of hobbies. I think someone I know recently scored some for $1200ish, on a facebook buy/sell board.

As for the rifle argument, I think a lot of the folks buying NVGs are the sort that would rather have a single-digit armory and increased capabilities then just a closet full of guns, probably the same mentality of people that pay $1000+ on daytime optics. I'm a little ways off, but once I have my basis covered with a spare or two my interest in buying more guns for the sake of it will approach zero. I know quite a few people that could afford a full-priced set if they sold off the guns they hadn't shot in the last 5 years.
Last edited by RonnyRonin on Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:15 pm

You have to have the personal info:

https://scra.dmdc.osd.mil/scra/#/single-record

Also if people are making specific claims such as Silver Star, MoH, SEAL, POW etc. there are number sites and organizations that can verify that with a simple name and timeframe of service. I've run in to a fair share of con men and crazies who have claimed military service in my current line of work. It never goes well for them after they run in to me.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

Return to “What Would You Do?”