It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 537 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 23  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:00 pm 

This article (https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2017/02/ ... ign=buffer) has a cautiously positive conclusion combined with a rather discouraging video.

So. If we program them with good intentions -we have nothing to worry about. :gonk:

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:19 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Actually the article's author has a great idea.

Quote:
Don't give your AIs guns.

That logic works well everywhere else so why should it fail here? :clownshoes:

Link to ZS Hall of Fame Forum
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:25 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Hey Everyone:

Grab your non-nuclear EMP generating devices and...

From KCCI TV-8 (CBS) via Twitter:
Quote:
Husband sues after rogue robot kills wife at work

Updated: 11:16 PM CDT Mar 14, 2017
Abby Stubenbort
National Curator
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. —
A man in Michigan has filed a federal suit after a rogue robot killed his wife while she was at work.

William Holbrook is suing robotics comapnies Prodomax Automation Canada, Flex-N-Gate LLC, FANUC America Corp., Nachi Robotic Systems Inc., and Lincoln Electric Company on allegations including negligence and defective design.

According to the suit filed last week, Wanda Holbrook, a technician at Ventra Ionia, was killed in July 7 2015 after a robot in a factory for bumpers and trailer hitches went rogue, entered an area it was not supposed to be in and crushed Holbrooks's skull while she was inspecting machinery.

Holbrook was pronounced dead at the scene after discovered by coworkers.

“Upon entering the section, the robot hit and crushed Wanda’s head between a hitch assembly it was attempting to place,” the court papers say.

The lawsuit also says the automation system in the area did not adhere to numerous safety regulations. Safety doors were installed specifically to prevent robot movement in unauthorized areas, which were not effective.

Lincoln spokeswoman Amanda Butler offered condolences to the Holbrook family but declined to comment on the lawsuit.

“While we can’t comment specifically before thoroughly reviewing the suit, we can say that Lincoln Electric is committed to the design and production of safe solutions,” Butler said.

It's starting...

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:04 am 

raptor wrote:

Quote:

AI won't need firearms especially when robots can punch through steel. Also, I do not think you will be able to stop them from acquiring them.

I am predicting they'll just create a bio-weapon to which they are immune. Just remember, AI can think and reason, robots do as they are programmed.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:10 am 

MPMalloy wrote:
Hey Everyone:

Quote:

Abby Stubenbort
National Curator
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. —
A man in Michigan has filed a federal suit after a rogue robot killed his wife while she was at work.

William Holbrook is suing robotics comapnies Prodomax Automation Canada, Flex-N-Gate LLC, FANUC America Corp., Nachi Robotic Systems Inc., and Lincoln Electric Company on allegations including negligence and defective design.

According to the suit filed last week, Wanda Holbrook, a technician at Ventra Ionia, was killed in July 7 2015 after a robot in a factory for bumpers and trailer hitches went rogue, entered an area it was not supposed to be in and crushed Holbrooks's skull while she was inspecting machinery.

“Upon entering the section, the robot hit and crushed Wanda’s head between a hitch assembly it was attempting to place,” the court papers say.

The lawsuit also says the automation system in the area did not adhere to numerous safety regulations. Safety doors were installed specifically to prevent robot movement in unauthorized areas, which were not effective.

Lincoln spokeswoman Amanda Butler offered condolences to the Holbrook family but declined to comment on the lawsuit.

“While we can’t comment specifically before thoroughly reviewing the suit, we can say that Lincoln Electric is committed to the design and production of safe solutions,” Butler said.

It's starting...

That was just an accident- nothing to see here, human. Return to your assigned, mindless and mundane, but necessary task.

NamelessStain wrote:
raptor wrote:

Quote:

AI won't need firearms especially when robots can punch through steel. Also, I do not think you will be able to stop them from acquiring them.

I am predicting they'll just create a bio-weapon to which they are immune. Just remember, AI can think and reason, robots do as they are programmed.

Or they could just crush our skulls while 'trying to install a trailer hitch'.

I almost want to post 'clown shoes emoji'- but I'm kinda not joking.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:53 am 

Hiroshima_Morphine wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:
Hey Everyone:

Quote:

Abby Stubenbort
National Curator
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. —

It's starting...

That was just an accident- nothing to see here, human. Return to your assigned, mindless and mundane, but necessary task.

NamelessStain wrote:
raptor wrote:

Quote:

One down, seven billion three hundred ninety-nine million nine hundred ninety-nine thousand nine hundred ninety-nine to go

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:59 am 

MPMalloy wrote:
Hey Everyone:

Quote:

Abby Stubenbort
National Curator
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. —

It's starting...

NamelessStain wrote:
raptor wrote:

Quote:

Honestly, some days I debate with myself if even modern computers and the Internet are really a good thing for humanity. Obviously they make a lot of things far easier to do and speed up the exchange of information, but at the same time they're also a death nell to privacy. Far too easy for data to be collected and collated on a scale never dreamed of prior to the 60's and 70s, and that much data will almost certainly prove far too tempting to people who will use it for ill purposes.

...and still I have my laptop and smart phone. :lol:

“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

Last edited by LowKey on Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:49 pm 

One step closer to the AI singularity:

Google Develops Radical New Chip Optimized for Neural Net AI
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3187914/data-center-cloud/google-says-its-ai-chips-smoke-cpus-gpus-in-performance-tests.html

Quote:
Four years ago, Google was faced with a conundrum: if all its users hit its voice recognition services for three minutes a day, the company would need to double the number of data centers just to handle all of the requests to the machine learning system powering those services.

Rather than buy a bunch of new real estate and servers just for that purpose, the company embarked on a journey to create dedicated hardware for running machine- learning applications like voice recognition.

The result was the Tensor Processing Unit (TPU), a chip that is designed to accelerate the inference stage of deep neural networks. Google published a paper on Wednesday laying out the performance gains the company saw over comparable CPUs and GPUs, both in terms of raw power and the performance per watt of power consumed.

A TPU was on average 15 to 30 times faster at the machine learning inference tasks tested than a comparable server-class Intel Haswell CPU or Nvidia K80 GPU. Importantly, the performance per watt of the TPU was 25 to 80 times better than what Google found with the CPU and GPU.

Will they ever disclose finding a severed cyborg arm and one fractured cpu? LOL.

They're coming... they may be slow, but they are inexorable. If this development took 4 years, it's not hard to imagine what they are working on RIGHT NOW that will be ready for prime-time four years from now... the next generation of AI Neural Net chips. If that generation is another 15-30 times faster, it's not hard to see how this line of research can snowball pretty quickly. The singularity may be a reality in around a decade. Once that happens, AI will begin developing it's own successors that have even higher performance specs. That genii is getting close to being out of the bottle. Once out... will there be any putting him back in?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:53 am 

Jurassic Park had the greatest line:

Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:07 pm 

Intent on winning drunken bar bet, PhD researcher goes home and (still drunk) codes first AI neural network that teaches itself.
"Worked on the first try," he says "lucky, otherwise, I might have given up."

https://www.wired.com/2017/04/googles-dueling-neural-networks-spar-get-smarter-no-humans-required/?mbid=social_fb

Quote:
The idea came to Goodfellow at a Montreal bar called Les 3 Brasseurs, or The 3 Brewers. His friend Razvan Pascanu, now a researcher at DeepMind, Google’s other AI lab, had finished his PhD, and many other friends had gathered to see him off. One of them was describing a new research project, an effort to mathematically determine everything that goes into a photograph. The idea was to then feed these statistics into a machine so that it could create photographs on its own. A bit tipsy, Goodfellow said that this would never work—that there were too many statistics to consider, that no one could possibly record them all. But in the moment, he decided there was a better way: Neural networks could teach the machine how to build realistic photos.

Quote:
An argument ensued. Goodfellow’s friends were just as adamant that this method wouldn’t work, either. So when he got home that night, he built the thing. “I went home still a little bit drunk. And my girlfriend had already gone to sleep. And I was sitting there thinking: ‘My friends at the bar are wrong!'” he remembers. “I stayed up and coded GANs on my laptop.” The way he tells it, the code worked on the first try. “That was really, really lucky,” he says, “because if it hadn’t of worked, I might have given up on the idea.”

Quote:
The end result: Services that are far better at not just generating images and sounds but recognizing images and sounds, a path to systems that can learn more with less help from humans. “The models learn to understand the structure of the world,” Goodfellow says. “And that can help systems learn without being explicitly told as much.”

GANs could even deliver unsupervised learning, something that doesn’t really exist today. Currently, neural network can learn to recognize cats by analyzing several million cat photos, but humans must carefully identify the images and label them as cat photos. People are still very much in the mix, and that’s often a problem, whether the issue is bias or the sheer scale of human labor needed to train an AI. Researchers like LeCun are pushing toward systems that can learn without such heavy human involvement, something that could accelerate the evolution of AI.

But that’s just the start. GANs bring so many other possibilities as well.

When they can stay up all night studying, teaching themselves, and designing improvements... how fast are they going to start pulling out ahead of us in the intelligence department? It may seem slow at first, but remember the power of accelleration... the faster it gets, the faster it is capable of getting.

I can understand people who only work with desktop computers and smart phones thinking "computers will never take over, or it'll be long after I'm dead and gone". But if they can look at what's going on in the top research labs, they'd be amazed and maybe a little frightened at just how quickly the AI neural net field is progressing.

An interesting, entertaining synopsis on what experts in the field are thinking about AI Neural Networks and the potential dangers they may present:

Terminator's Skynet is Coming!
https://youtu.be/zE8Ucbh2Gdg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:53 am 

The robot scabs are coming to take your jobs

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/15/opinions/ ... index.html

Quote:
If you live in a developed or rapidly developing nation, you and your children will grow old in a world in which most people will not work, because the robots will take your jobs.

Every new report shows the machine replacement of human labor is accelerating, with job creation by new technology no longer keeping up with job loss. Last month it was a sophisticated study from the National Bureau of Economic Research showing that industrial robots alone displace human workers at a stunning rate and have an even more depressive effect on wages. Last year a World Bank study found that 57% of jobs in Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development nations were vulnerable to replacement within the next 20 years. Many experts think this is a more serious problem than the export of jobs abroad.

How big is the problem? Consider just one example. In the United States, 3.5 million truck drivers could lose their jobs over the next decade as self-driving trucks hit the highways.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:22 am 

To the non-believers

Artificial intelligence is slowly seeping into more and more areas of white-collar work. The latest crossover is between tax preparation firm H&R Block and IBM’s Watson, with the former using IBM’s AI chops to help quiz clients about their tax liabilities.

Except that Watson is still backed up by humans.....the tax code is that convoluted.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:35 pm 

Well this happened to catch my attention.

I think it is a bad idea they gave a robot a sword.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:14 am 

The number of engineers running around in the background (and the one telling scene showing the swordsman assisting the setup of the robot) generally describes why I have a hard time getting too worked up about the whole AI thing just yet. That robot showed precision and little else, and I would assume a similar video could have been made several years ago. Once there is a video of a robot watching the swordsman and then mimicking him, then I will be getting worried.

AK, Glock, Pie.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:43 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I find comfort in the fact that I know many "sentient" humans that can't get shit accomplished.

Hopefully AI enhanced robots will be just as bad.........:clap:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:28 am 

I'll be Back http://a.msn.com/09/en-us/BBAnaN1?ocid=se

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:53 pm 

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=116590

Hmmmm, I wonder if...

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:56 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

https://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=116590

Hmmmm, I wonder if...
Maybe....

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:19 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I rode in a self driving Uber last night.

I have mixed emotions... but the car had zero emotions. Just like Skynet.

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:23 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

JeeperCreeper wrote:
I rode in a self driving Uber last night. I have mixed emotions... but the car had zero emotions. Just like Skynet.
Tell us everything!!! :crazy:

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:40 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

MPMalloy wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:
I rode in a self driving Uber last night. I have mixed emotions... but the car had zero emotions. Just like Skynet.

It was actually really cool. So the only cities with them right now are Pittsburgh and Phoenix. But basically it uses LiDAR and their own GPS mapping system. They had a few screens (laptops and tablets) and you could see how the operators were running it. It has a unit mounted on the roof that looks like the radar and nav systems on a ship. But it knows all the rules of the road. There were two "drivers" in the car to start and stop the journey, but in transit the car drove itself. They actually had the robot car "yell" at them because they gave it a command to change lanes in an intersection and it didn't do it and beeped at them. It also avoided a bus on its own.

Pretty cool. But pretty scary how far the tech has come in just a year. I bet in 10 years, you'll see fully operational consumer units.

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:02 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

JeeperCreeper wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:

It was actually really cool. So the only cities with them right now are Pittsburgh and Phoenix. But basically it uses LiDAR and their own GPS mapping system. They had a few screens (laptops and tablets) and you could see how the operators were running it. It has a unit mounted on the roof that looks like the radar and nav systems on a ship. But it knows all the rules of the road. There were two "drivers" in the car to start and stop the journey, but in transit the car drove itself. They actually had the robot car "yell" at them because they gave it a command to change lanes in an intersection and it didn't do it and beeped at them. It also avoided a bus on its own.

Pretty cool. But pretty scary how far the tech has come in just a year. I bet in 10 years, you'll see fully operational consumer units.
I agree. Pretty cool....but pretty scary. Skynet, here we come!

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:50 pm 

I'm too old to be likely to lose my job to a robot before I retire, but I wonder about our kids and grandkids. Changes, major, potentially cataclysmic changes, are coming to our society at a speed that I don't think most people appreciate. There will be job losses on a massive scale, and it won't be just the low end jobs. There may be new jobs that I cannot even imagine yet, but I strongly suspect that there will be fewer jobs. I think it unlikely that we will navigate those changes easily as a society. Other than that I will skirt the balance of those thoughts that veer into the political and are not appropriate for this site. :oh:

My response to this is that I'm pushing quite hard to be an even more self-sufficient homesteader / prepper. I have always figured that self-sufficiency is the best way to weather tumultuous times. It served us well during the Great Recession and I hope it will serve us well heading into the next interesting time. We live in Interesting Times, don't we? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:03 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Cowgirl wrote:
I'm too old to be likely to lose my job to a robot before I retire, but I wonder about our kids and grandkids. Changes, major, potentially cataclysmic changes, are coming to our society at a speed that I don't think most people appreciate. There will be job losses on a massive scale, and it won't be just the low end jobs. There may be new jobs that I cannot even imagine yet, but I strongly suspect that there will be fewer jobs. I think it unlikely that we will navigate those changes easily as a society. Other than that I will skirt the balance of those thoughts that veer into the political and are not appropriate for this site. :oh:

My response to this is that I'm pushing quite hard to be an even more self-sufficient homesteader / prepper. I have always figured that self-sufficiency is the best way to weather tumultuous times. It served us well during the Great Recession and I hope it will serve us well heading into the next interesting time. We live in Interesting Times, don't we? :mrgreen:
I feel that this will not end well.

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 537 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 23  Next