It is currently Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:07 pm 

Zodiac_Killer wrote:
A auction site (not ebay) i frequent has several no reserve one dollar open bid homes for sale at any given moment. Not like you could do anything with them, with the squatters and drug dealers using them. This is a great topic and the photos just keep my curiosity growing on the subject.

Not to derail the thread too much, but just buying them and bulldozing them would probably be better at this point. It's a great loss architecturally and historically, but they're part of the cancer, not the cure. I'd be happier to see a city reverting to farms and land than just sitting there rotting and useless.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:44 pm 

More Detroit photography:

James D. Griffioen's "Feral Houses": http://www.jamesgriffioen.net/index.php ... al-houses/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:35 pm 

I know a guy from Detroit he told me the St. Louis area aint that bad compared to Detroit, I believe him. Scary thing is so many of our great cities, and our nation as a whole, are on the path to that.
I am not that stupid to drive through East St. Louis and enter abandoned buildings, (you cant carry over there, thats why it is so safe in Illinois) but I would like to see some photos of that city. Some of the buildings were beautiful in their day. The city was a whole helluva nicer too 50-60 years ago. Now East St. Louis is a shithole that needs to be bulldozed.
I like the idea of turning old abandoned neighborhoods into farmland though, good idea.

:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grq0rhtbtAw

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:06 pm 

Here are some pics of E. St. Louis.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:21 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Abandoned buildings can be so depressing. I can't help but wonder what the stucco-and-OSB suburbia that surrounds me will look like in eighty short years. It's already fading fast.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:53 pm 
Meat Popsicle
Meat Popsicle

Sadly the entire state seems locked on a course headed towards receivership. The city of Detroit is very likely to also become insolvent and be appointed an emergency financial manager by the Governor.

There are some good things about Detroit. As has already been stated, the DIA as well as the Detroit Science Center and even the State Theater. Not to mention Iron Chef America Michael Symon's restaurant ROAST (which is so good, it'll make you sad it's not local to you).

I'm interested in some of this Urban exploration and might look into it.

-Jeff

ZSC:020 Chicagoland | How to search ZS | GHB

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:37 am 

Has anyone seen the show Apocalypse Man that aired on History this weekend? Apparently the show was shot in Detroit. It was completely deserted, like the set of I Am Legend. Crazy that we have ghost towns that previously were major metro cities.

Proud Member of Georgia Carry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:02 pm 

Check out Sean Hemmerle's "Remains of Detroit" in Time magazine: http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0 ... 98,00.html

Post subject: Re: The Ruins of Detroit
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:32 pm 
BANNED

Moga wrote:
In a similar collage of eerie pictures of the abandoned city, there was a photo of an evidence room in a police station that still contained evidence. An old revolver is clearly visible in the piled debris of evidence cards, chairs, and drawers separated from their cabinets.

I'll see if I can dig up a link later this afternoon.

ETA: Link: Metro-Detroit Urban Exploration

Open up the gallery for HP Municipie.

Yeah, it's this one isn't it?

There also some other pictures of what I think is the same abandoned police station here and here (Click) and a Detroit school.

Some of the pictures are of the police station and some are of the school.

Highland Park Police Precinct, Detroit, MI Abandoned in the 90s

Abandoned Detroit School

Kinda weird, seems like the police would have taken all that stuff or destroyed it somehow.

All these pictures kind of make me think of this documentary I saw once about what happened to the area in the Ukraine after the nuclear meltdown in Chernobyl. Pretty sobering pictures. Makes you think of how quickly life can change and get completely fucked up. Supposedly that place is still radioactive after all these years.

The Detriot Ruin pictures kind of reminded me of this.

Ferris Wheel in Chernobyl

It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:56 pm 
BANNED

posted this on my blog awhile back.

http://usblogalypse.blogspot.com/2010/01/what-shit-hole.html

Found this interesting.
http://www.cityfarmer.info/2010/01/01/fortune-magazine-can-farming-save-detroit/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:18 pm 

[quote="mk_ultra"]Although this goes totally against the rules of urban exploration , over time he wound up setting up contacts with teachers in active schools that would tell him about things they needed for their students and he would acquire them .[quote]

So, how much XP did he get? What was the quest reward? :lol:

I know a lot of people can relate a lot of things to Fallout 3 on this forum as jokes, but a lot of these pictures really look like they were production art for the game. Which is scary. A lot. :(

That would be an interesting idea to have a group buy out a couple square miles of old derelict buildings and set up their own town on the cheap. Just gotta watch out for the zombies.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:47 pm 

EECHAY wrote:
mk_ultra wrote:
That would be an interesting idea to have a group buy out a couple square miles of old derelict buildings and set up their own town on the cheap. Just gotta watch out for the zombies.

When I first heard out this someone was talking about looking into buying an entire block and trying to fortify it. And razing two or three houses to grow food. My thought was the city would not go for it. But when you see pictures like that you got to wonder. They were talking about an occupied house on each corner and one or two down the length of each side of the block.

Also at one time I worked for a non profit that would go into older homes and take them apart for the salvage value. You would be surprised what the houses are worth piece by piece. Real old hardwood floors go for 2 to 10 a foot depending on wood price. And the crown, kicker rail, and other 3d molding in some of those houses can not be found anywhere.
No one makes it anymore. The closest you can come is computer made stuff. I think it is more politely refereed to as architectural salvage. We the non profit would go in they would take the house completely apart. You would stand in the basement and look up at the sky. It is sad to see houses brought to that but they are going to unsafe (as in falling down) before long. And it keeps the wood out of the landfills.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:33 pm 

This thread really blew me away with all of the photos of Detroit. I just never knew it was that bad.

I lived outside of LA for about 5 years, and that was a culture shock for me in and of itself.

To drive past skid row and some of east LA really opened my eyes to a lot of things.

This, however, is on a whole other level. I would never imagine the people of a large city letting some of those historical buildings go to waste. Not to mention the single family homes.

But then again, I guess I should know better by now.

I wish I had the money to buy a huge grid square there so I could plant some edible fruit trees, bushes, and flowers everywhere just for some hope for the future.

U.S. ARMY 11B1P 3rd US INF(TOG) 96-00
U.S. ARMY 94F10 101st 3rd BCT Now

Epulamur libenter eos qui nos subiungeant
________ We gladly feast on those who would subdue us _______

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:20 pm 

Quote:
Demoralized Detroit aims to resurrect a ruin
Haunting beauty of Michigan Central Station reminds city of a grander past

DETROIT - The last train pulled away more than 20 years ago from Michigan Central Station, one of thousands of “see-through” buildings here, empty shells from more auspicious times.

Many of the blighted buildings stay up simply because they are too expensive to tear down. Yet Michigan Central is in a class of its own. Some city officials consider it among the ugliest behemoths to pockmark Detroit and have ordered its demolition, but others see it as the industrial age’s most gracious relic, a Beaux Arts gem turned gothic from neglect but steeped in haunting beauty.

Now Detroit has become embroiled in an urgent debate over how to save what is perhaps its most iconic ruin — and in the process, some insist, give the demoralized city a much needed boost.

“People compare it to Roman ruins,” said Karen Nagher, the executive director of Preservation Wayne, an organization that seeks to protect architecture and neighborhoods around Detroit. “Some people just want it left alone. But I’d love to see that building with windows in and lights on again.”

Since the City Council voted last year to demolish the depot, the building has been granted a reprieve of sorts thanks to more urgent issues confronting the city, including a $400 million budget deficit and a lawsuit to halt the tear down (citing the station’s historic landmark status). Further, several council members, elected since the vote, do not share the previous Council’s enthusiasm for land clearing.

“I don’t want to bulldoze it, then find out later there could have been a viable use for it,” said Charles Pugh, a newly elected member who took over as Council president in January.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:03 pm 
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

That makes me want to cry a little bit...I mean, that place was gorgeous at one point.

Keep 'em coming, dogbane.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:29 pm 
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Quote:
Detroit homes sell for $1 amid mortgage and car industry crisis

One in five houses left empty as foreclosures mount and property prices drop by 80%

The title's a bit sensational, but there is a story in the article about a man buying a thrashed house for $100.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010 ... losures-80

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:45 am 

Recent fires in Detroit made me think of this thread, so: bump.

Post subject: Re: The Ruins of Detroit
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:20 pm 

xombiechow wrote:
TheLastRifleMan wrote:
Yes, Flint is getting just as bad. While not nearly as culturally diverse as Detroit in it's day, Flint did have some things going for it.

We have a saying in my part of the Big Mitten:

When something bad happens people in Saginaw say "Well, at least we're not Flint!"

People in Flint say "At least we're not Detroit!"

One jewel in Detroit that is still operating but has seen better days is the Masonic Temple. The place is absolutely huge, taking up at least three city blocks. There are rooms in the place that have been forgotten and left locked for who knows how long. They still hold plays and the like in it's theater.

Too bad the neighborhood around it is a no man's land, literally. If the buildings around it are not abandoned they are barred and surrounded by razor wire. No joke. It looks like WWI bunkers and trenchworks.

I know some folks who were there during the Riots in '67. They don't like to talk about it.

If anyone is interested in the masonic temple:

http://www.themasonic.com/history.html

http://www.themasonic.com/specialevents.html#photos

link because it's too big. http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/3507400.jpg

This is a beautiful place...It LOOKS like a great place to make a stand and live out your days in the PAW if you had enough people. ;) But that's another conversation.

Spent most of my childhood in Detroit. Look at the second photo in the top right corner, last full building on the right-hand side just under a parking lot. That was my elementary/middle school, Burton International School. My first high school was just a block south of the Masonic Temple, Cass Technical High School. Both Burton and the old Cass Tech High School buildings are vacant. Both schools have fortunately been relocated. Cass across the street in a new modern structure and Burton to a larger building a few miles away. Once upon a time, this area know as the Cass Corridor, was the true multicultural area of the city. It stretched several miles north of downtown, through the current "Cultural Center" of (Wayne State University, Detroit Institute of Arts, Detroit Historical Museum, Detroit Public Library Main Branch) on up to the New Center Area where General Motors World Headquarters was formerly located. Detroit's little known Chinatown once existed blocks above the Masonic Temple as well as Little India. Indeed, the Masonic Temple is one of the few jewels left in city, surrounded by decay. It's a great place, last visit I saw INXS there in 2006.

A lot of the comments posted for the most part are spot on. A recent check of real estate prices in the neighborhood I lived in, in the northwest part of the city (University District), a 3-full level, all-brick, 5-bedroom, 3 full-bath, 1930-40 all brick home, in very good condition, in a very good neighborhood, was selling at $50,000.00. I wish I was exaggerating. I was joking with someone as recently as 4 days ago, that someone with $500K could start an empire in Detroit. There are plenty of areas in Detroit where only two inhabited homes are left on the block. Both are fortified with flood lights and concertina wire on top of chain link fences. The elderly stay behind closed doors and those good people, retirees living on a fixed income, have to put up bunkers just to have a basic standard of living.

Living in Detroit was the first experience I had with emergency preparedness, even as child. In the 70's and 80's, power in the city was easily knocked out by the large and aging maple, oak and pine trees that grew in the neighborhoods. Now, large tracks and major avenues (Woodward Ave from 6-Mile/McNichols to 8-Mile) are in black-out zones, areas where the street lights have been turned off to save money on electricity costs. The aging water and sewage lines (some as late as the early 90's were still tarred-wooden pipes) would break in the winter and overflow in the spring. Again, this is not even touching on the rise of crime that jumped in the mid to late 80's due to the narcotic aka crack cocaine trade. Criminals in the city are bolder than ever due to the expanding problems in the economy and the fact that the shrinking tax base has lead to more layoffs in public sector services such as police and fire-fighters. So in essence, you have the perfect storm for a predator: many places to hide (vacant and abandoned homes/buildings), fewer hunters (police) to find/deter/capture you, and a weak infrastructure.

Are there places in the country experiencing similar things? Yes, but none to the scale and rate of decay as Detroit. As note, Highland Park is not Detroit. It is one of two independent municipalities that are land locked by the Detroit borders (Hamtramck being the other). If you really want to see an area that resembles Fallujah 03-05, then look at Highland Park. This small city was once a respectable jewel but has fallen into chaos quicker than anything else that I have seen or know about, with the exception of Chernobyl and Bopal.

The biggest problem with Detroit is not money or the city government or the home prices. The biggest problem is the mentality of people. Anyone that lives beyond their means, can not sustain that lifestyle forever. You have to know when to cut your losses, seek help or take some austerity measures. Detroiters are proud working-class people who felt like many, that their industry would remain lucrative forever. They were so invested in this belief that they didn't see the signs of change and further let people sweet talk them into cosmetic fixes instead of fundamental change.

There are many things that I loved about being in Detroit. Bottom line is, I got tired of having to literally infiltrate and exfil everytime I left the house. The last straw was when a husband and father was gunned down at gas station, in plain sight, for an absolute random and ignorant reason, while his wife and child were waiting in the car. This happened in the early evening, not even a block where my family and I were living. There was no way, I could deploy and fight in foreign countries while criminals ran rampant, threatening my family at home. If you are a single male, you can do great things in Detroit, even now. But if you want to raise a family, without grabbing your firearm of choice when you answer the door, or having to stand point when your wife is coming home from grocery shopping or picking the kids up from school, you need to be somewhere else. This is not the case all over Michigan, but for the City of Detroit proper, it is a reality. Just telling the straight truth.

Zombieland, USA aka the Motor-City aka Motown aka Rock City aka Detroit, Michigan.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:05 pm 

Damn. Now I REALLY want to do a Robo Cop Gritty Reboot...
But no seriously, that is pretty damn scary. I would like to know what shit is going on that makes the last guy to leave the police station leave 12g shells and .38 special lying around. I mean jeese, pocket that shit for yourself (when you are the last cop leaving the station).

Seriously, Robocop Gritty Reboot time is at hand.

0122358 wrote:
so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:48 pm 

Back in the early eighties we decided to take our N. Indiana hockey team to Detroit since no serious competition would travel here just to play a mediocre hockey team . We made our home rink in Flatrock on the south side and found a hostel the kids could use on the weekends .We figured if we could play with those guys we could play anywhere .
One of the first games our 15 year olds played was down in the River Rouge area . When they dropped the puck nobody even went for it they just started pounding on the farm boys from Indiana . The cops had to come break the game up after about a half hour . Welcome to Detroit .
We eventually adapted to the Little Ceaser league and won about half our games .
The strategy worked pretty well since we were finally able to beat South Bend and Indianapolis in State . I cant bring up the pictures for some reason but I can imagine . It was always a tough town but damn exciting Im sorry to hear its slipped to this point . This is where Henry Ford invented the middle class when he started paying men a decent wage and gave them a little time off for their families.

I never gave a damn about a man who could only spell a word one way .
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:31 am 

Marchand and Meffre have been getting a lot of publicity lately. Here is a new interview with them: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kisa-lala ... 10688.html

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:53 pm 

This is a wonderful spooky thread. I have a friend that lives in Troy and works in Detroit. I asked her about Hell Night one time. She said it was a community action type of thing, as it was a way to get rid of old dangerous building that the city could not or would not tear down.

The city tells someone to tear down a building, the owner gets a demo permit, good for three years, and does nothing. Four years later... another letter from the city...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:13 am 

I just have to say that this Chrysler commerical--"Imported from Detroit"--is awesome:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKL254Y_jtc

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 4:47 pm 

Not sure if someone posted this documentary yet, I'm sure they did, but here it is. Really good stuff.

http://www.palladiumboots.com/exploration/detroit

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next