It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 7:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:23 am 

I uploaded a photo-journey to my blog. It was kind of eerie taking these photos - just the sound of the warm trade-winds whistling around me. It very much felt you could have been standing at the end of the world. And, yes, I got *very* spooked once or twice, when poking my head around in some places that I probably shouldn't have been....

http://www.thescienceofzombies.com/?p=27

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:51 am 

That was very interesting thanks for posting that.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:04 am 

20 years after the apocalypse the population will be but a fraction of what it once had been, any that are left will be contained in small tribal villages out in the countryside, cities will have long been abandoned to nature and the elements. industry has long since been relegated to history and any "commerce" is confined to bartering between individuals.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:37 pm 

Is it strange that I think the island is beautiful in that ruined state? Or have I been playing too much Fallout? Lol

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:45 pm 

I had been recently wondering what was the status of Monserrat. Thanks for the pictures.

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:06 am 

Evan the Diplomat wrote:
I had been recently wondering what was the status of Monserrat. Thanks for the pictures.

After having lived there for a few years, I could probably rant for several pages about "the status of Montserrat". In summary, it is probably "doing OK". The volcano itself it something of a political football, and despite being quite for some years, it still looms over everything (metaphorically). The development of the new-capital at Little Bay (despite being in planning for over ten years) is still little more than a pipe dream. And even if they did manage to get the capital to build a new port, many worry that the arrival of large cruise ships will ruin the character of the Island. Certainly, any riches coming from an influx of tourism would be divided in a very corrupt/unequal way, and many people are worried that many of the problems (i.e. inequality, crime etc) that plague other Caribbean countries could become an increasing problem on Montserrat.

Anyway, it is a fantastic place for a holiday. Only 20 minutes further by plane from Antigua, there really is no excuse not to make the hop, because there is no place quite like it. It's the sort of place where you get welcomed with a broad smile at the tiny weeny airport, only to bump into the customs guy later at the beach bar. The volcano bears no risk to the Northern part of the Island, and despite some recent incidents (involving locals only) it's still remains one of the safest an friendliest places in the Caribbean.

Oh, and the exclusion zone would make the coolest place ever for a post-apocalyptic-paintball arena.