It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:06 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Demographics may not be the exact word I was looking for but I got tired of wracking my brain. Of the active 30+ squads, does anyone happen to know what the ratio to urban vs "good old boys"? 001 is more urban being in the STL. 032 is S. Illinois and we are more rural. Most of our members are veterans and lifelong hunters.

I completely agree that we need ALL kinds of people but I was just curious if any number cruncher type has ever done the research to see what the urban/rural ratio is. Both types have people we need (although I am biased, I am glad that 90% of my squad can live off the land with absolutely no further training lol)

Just curious. I am a writer, it is kind of what I do.

Scott Randolph
Tactical Advisory Officer
ZSC:032

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:37 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Our chapter 034 Kansas City, is a solid mix of country folk and city people. To me, that is perfect.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk. My apologies.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:19 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

we kind of have the same thing going but most of us lean toward hunter-gathers and vets. I think it is very important to have a lot of country type folk that already know how to survive. I don't want to be in the cities when the hammer drops lol
:twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:22 am 

Wait, I thought St Louis WAS southern Illinois, all country and all ....

/dux

(I'm alternating between Chicago and Boston, these days)

Ya, not sure you're really looking for "total demographics" as much as just an urban / rural split. AND, while many would agree with you they might not want to be in the city when the hammer drops ..... I'm not so sure that all the "country folks can survive" really applies to most of the rural folks, or just some. Even in most "rural" areas, where many of the folk hunt a few times a year, most families I know of are still pretty dependent on stores, most folks in rural areas aren't set up to start farming. EXAMPLE: My dad lives in upstate NY. He has hunted and fished the area for over 50 years. He has a wooded area behind his house with a good sized creek that I ran a trap line in as a kid. He has a lifetime supply of shotgun shells. (He has collected them over the years when sporting good or gun stores go out of business ....) He and my mom would starve to death if the stores stop carrying food.

Hunting .... if all the stores are gone, I'm guessing all the country folk would clean out most of the huntable food pretty quick. Now what?

In a nuclear scenario ... do you think you have a better shot at getting iodine or radiation poisoning from fallout treatment in St Louis, or Harrisburg, IL?

rural or urban, I don't care about the demographics, I think anyone would have a real good shot at survival hanging out with ZSC:001 .....

I guess it depends not on when the hammer falls, but, ... on WHICH hammer falls WHERE. :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:28 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

very good point. as I said at the beginning, demographics wasn't the word I was looking for. I like the rural/urban split better. While So. Ill is rural, we do have hospitals , actually quite a lot. I have no problem with the cities. I have lived in several all over the world. I was just curious as to the ratio of chapters. Almost all of my friends hunt every year with all types of weapons (especially bows which you don't have to replace ammo). On the other side of the coin, major cities are more likely to have psychologists which could really come in handy if civilization as we know it changes.

I think that many can agree that having a person that can hunt game, clean it, and have it ready to cook without using any kind of modern equipment is a good friend to have around when you can't go to the supermarket and get a choice cut of beef.

Having a mix of people from all places and skill sets is what makes ZS so appealing. It is stuff that me and my friends do all the time with the added bonus of addition knowledge that we may not know about. When we share information and stick together, everyone has a better chance of survival. That is my opinion on it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:08 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

I'm not sure it can be broken down into a "city boy vs country boy" thing (no matter where you live) as I know so many people who defy any stereotype. ZSC:015 in its present form is pretty new, and from what I can tell from yesterday's meeting about as diverse as we can get and I'm quite confident, capable of surviving anything from bad neighborhoods, extended wilderness excursions and zombie uprisings.

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
-Hunter S. Thompson

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:32 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I have ruffled more feathers than I intended to. One in particular who was extremely rude and needs to do some homework but he isn't on this thread. I in no way meant stereotypes at all. We are all after the same goal. I was just curious of the ratio between city squads and rural squads. I have lived in both places. I prefer the country. Everyone has skills that as a whole, we can use to work together. If I find myself in a city and don't know my way around, I would love to have a member show me around. If a member happens to be in the very large Shawnee National Forest, I would be more than glad to show them the best places to find shelter. I wasn't trying to start a war between city and rural. I was just wondering if the information exists as to what the ratio happens to be between squads in the city and squads in rural areas (like 032 that covers several counties). I meant no offence, except to the one person who sent me a VERY RUDE personal message, to all other members, it was just a question that I was curious of the answer.

As far as I can tell we all have certain skill sets that can help each other and overlap (you always need to have more than 1 person able to do a job in case the original person gets hurt).

If anyone took offense to it, I sincerely apologize. I was just curious about the original question.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:32 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

skelco wrote:
I'm not sure it can be broken down into a "city boy vs country boy" thing (no matter where you live) .

Don't forget..there are girls here, too. What I've seen from just reading posts my local here in pittsburgh seems like a pretty good mix.

I got 99 problems but a zombie ain't one..

When TSHTF, I hope I'm wearing sensible shoes.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:39 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

engr-rn wrote:
skelco wrote:
I'm not sure it can be broken down into a "city boy vs country boy" thing (no matter where you live) .

Don't forget..there are girls here, too. What I've seen from just reading posts my local here in pittsburgh seems like a pretty good mix.

my use of "city boy vs country boy" was only meant to illustrate an over-generalized example

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
-Hunter S. Thompson

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:54 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Two other points to keep in mind:

Any internet forum will have a heavier representation of urban and suburban people simply because they have more access to internet. Some living way out in the stick with low bandwidth won't spend as much time in places like this.

Next, "chapters" are only a small part of ZS, and they will always be more heavily urban due to travel time. You must travel and meet to have a chapter and that is far easier if you are all in the same metro area (as in, the California wide chapter becoming the Bay Area chapter due to the difficulties of getting the whole state together, or the 4 current Texas chapters.) I am a chapter officer, and have a 90 minute drive to the closest functions. That will keep a lot of people out of chapters.

Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:55 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Scott RandolphUSMC wrote:
I have ruffled more feathers than I intended to. One in particular who was extremely rude and needs to do some homework but he isn't on this thread. I in no way meant stereotypes at all. We are all after the same goal. I was just curious of the ratio between city squads and rural squads. I have lived in both places. I prefer the country. Everyone has skills that as a whole, we can use to work together. If I find myself in a city and don't know my way around, I would love to have a member show me around. If a member happens to be in the very large Shawnee National Forest, I would be more than glad to show them the best places to find shelter. I wasn't trying to start a war between city and rural. I was just wondering if the information exists as to what the ratio happens to be between squads in the city and squads in rural areas (like 032 that covers several counties). I meant no offence, except to the one person who sent me a VERY RUDE personal message, to all other members, it was just a question that I was curious of the answer.

As far as I can tell we all have certain skill sets that can help each other and overlap (you always need to have more than 1 person able to do a job in case the original person gets hurt).
If anyone took offense to it, I sincerely apologize. I was just curious about the original question.

I'm not taking offense at all, I just don't think it's that simple. One of the big things that is attractive to me about this group is its diversity and the dedication that people have to self sufficiency. I find it to be well in line with the way I like to live and much like many of my friends and family. Just breaking things down into a city/rural discussion isn't valid as there is no set of skills any person from those environments is guaranteed to have. From my own experience I know city natives who are accomplished outdoors enthusiasts, capable of living off the land and people from rural communities who would die without a Walmart within a half hour's drive. I know a Boutique owner who never misses a deer season and veterans who I wouldn't trust with a rubber band gun.

Quantifying that into useful information would be quite a job and not everyone on here likes to give out information.

-Hunter S. Thompson

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:34 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Skelco,

Thank you. That is a very valid and intelligent answer and I agree. I was just curious if the info existed. It was never a case of one is better than the other AND I definitely wouldn't want to be the one to compile the data. I didn't mean to piss anyone off or say I am better because I live in an area that deer hang out in front yard. While most of our squad does hunt, if we happened to be in a city- I would need a guide as much as a city dweller would if they were in the endless forests of So ILL.

We are all different yet have the same end goal. That (in my opinion) is what makes ZS so awesome. Thanks again for "seeing" what I am talking about. I wasn't trying to cause a schism as to who is better. Just wondering about a ratio. If I had known it was such a big deal, I would have just made and educated guess based on where the chapters were based.

Little did I know people would take such offence. I have talked to 2 members face to face and they were curious too. It was just a simple question. If we were all lawyers (just an example-no offence to lawyers) the ZS wouldn't be as much fun lol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:09 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

none1 wrote:
Wait, I thought St Louis WAS southern Illinois, all country and all ....

Yeah but you assholes in chicago also consider everything outside of cook county 'downstate'.

St. Louis urban ghettos make south side chicago look mild, BTW. :D

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:20 pm 

skelco wrote:
One of the big things that is attractive to me about this group is its diversity and the dedication that people have to self sufficiency.

++1!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:45 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

nothing against chicagoland but when you travel, if you tell people you are from Illinois, they always want to know what part of Chicago. I am like "about 6 hours south" haha :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:48 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

nothing against chicagoland but when you travel, if you tell people you are from Illinois, they always want to know what part of Chicago. I am like "about 6 hours south" haha :twisted:

Or, if you live north of Rockford, and your friends from near a certain large city keep saying you live "downstate." :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:47 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

chapter 032 is definitely downstate. we have borders that consist of the Mississippi and Ohio rivers lol. Carbondale is in Jackson county. Our western border is the river haha

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:49 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

@ crypto----- I just saw that picture that you are using as your avatar in an article (I believe in the Onion) my friend sent me. The article was about things men do in the woods. Funny as hell lol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:02 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

@ crypto----- I just saw that picture that you are using as your avatar in an article (I believe in the Onion) my friend sent me. The article was about things men do in the woods. Funny as hell lol

Oh dude, the pic is from an old pulp magazine from 50 years ago called Man's Life.

The covers are all hilarious, check them out:

http://www.coverbrowser.com/covers/mans-life

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:41 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

crypto wrote:
Oh dude, the pic is from an old pulp magazine from 50 years ago called Man's Life.

I guess buttons for women's shirts were still on war time rationing?

Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:25 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

phil_in_cs wrote:
crypto wrote:

If you like that, somebody's got an apocalyptic pin-up calendar for you
http://io9.com/5882431/pin+up-calendar-ladies-survive-the-sexy-apocalypses

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:50 am 

Why not just start a poll with 4 options, Big town, Small town, Just outside of town, Way outside of town?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:00 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

duodecima wrote:
phil_in_cs wrote:
crypto wrote:

I love this calendar and have been trying to find it for sale all morning.

As far as I can tell, its not for sale. :(

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:07 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

crypto wrote:
duodecima wrote:
phil_in_cs wrote:
crypto wrote:

I love this calendar and have been trying to find it for sale all morning.

As far as I can tell, its not for sale. :(

The guy says (in Russian) - that if enough people want to buy it, he'll do a press run - but from the telephone codes, he's in Russia, so not sure what shipping would be.