Grammar

If you have a question for members of the Zombie Squad bring it over here.

If this is a question specifically for an official authorized representative of Zombie Squad, Inc. your best bet will be to e-mail service@zombiehunters.org

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:01 pm

Cool as a Chicken wrote:Evidence that punctuation is important:

http://www.etni.org.il/farside/correctpunct.htm

The Importance of Correct Punctuation

Dear John:
I want a man who knows what love is all about. You are generous, kind, thoughtful. People who are not like you admit to being useless and inferior. You have ruined me for other men. I yearn for you. I have no feelings whatsoever when we're apart. I can be forever happy - will you let me be yours?
Gloria

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear John:
I want a man who knows what love is. All about you are generous, kind, thoughtful people, who are not like you. Admit to being useless and inferior. You have ruined me. For other men, I yearn. For you, I have no feelings whatsoever. When we're apart, I can be forever happy. Will you let me be? Yours,
Gloria

From Games Magazine (1984)

:lol:
Note that the words are exactly the same, but the meanings are completely opposite. If your post is important, we want to be able to read and understand it. If it's so unimportant that you can't be bothered to use proper punctuation, spelling and grammar, then why are you posting it?
YAY!
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

El Maximo

Post by El Maximo » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:20 pm

I concur...if it's worth saying, its worth saying right. The easiest thing to do if you are unsure as to spelling of a particular word, just google it. Google is wise...Google knows all...

I too get bit by the Grammar Nazi bug on occasion, and here is the thing that really gets my goat: it. One of the staples of the english language. Nothing wrong about "it" (pun intended).
My beef gets stewed whenever someone mentions many objects, thoughts, and concepts in a post, and then throws around "it", along with its plural form "they" and "those", like it's going out of style!

WHAT IS "IT"!!??

Ex. "So I was reading one of those E-books on how we should become self-sufficient and all those other survival skills. Its so stupid!"

I was talking about E-books when I mentioned "stupid". Is that what you read?

Is it so hard to put the name of what you are describing in the sentence?

That's my beef and i'm sticking to it! 8)
Lonestar wrote:Possum jerky beats inner cabium nutrition anytime.
El Maximo, zombie thwarter extrodinaire!

Cool as a Chicken

Post by Cool as a Chicken » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:16 pm

Yes, that "it issue" is called an "unclear antecedent" by us grammar nazis. They (unclear antecedents, but grammar nazis, too, I suppose) are very annoying.

I will pay Gundown (or Gunny) to kick in the buttocks anyone using the phrase "at the end of the day," as in "At the end of the day, the only person you can count on is yourself." Gundown, please let me know your buttkicking fees. Perhaps we could set up a per kicking rate, and change to a flat rate if need be.
"At the end of the day" is such a stupid phrase, and now so widespread that my fingers itch to throttle people who utter the phrase. However, murder is not in my short-term goals, hence the aforementioned hiring.
A.A. Milne -- Best Known as the Creator of Winnie the Pooh wrote:Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them.

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:28 pm

Lol murder by proxy. It's okay guys, I'm still human. I noticed a typo in my Tulane application, after I sent it in. Cheers.

Cool as a Chicken

Post by Cool as a Chicken » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:40 pm

Gunny wrote:Lol murder by proxy. It's okay guys, I'm still human. I noticed a typo in my Tulane application, after I sent it in. Cheers.
No, no, no! Zombie Squad does not condone murder by proxy or murder for hire, for that matter. (Nor do I.) This is a kick in the buttocks for hire (a single kick is all that I'm paying for, but you or Gundown may want to thrown in extra at your discretion ... if the kickee has uttered this horrible phrase, he or she probably has committed other egregious grammar errors).
A.A. Milne -- Best Known as the Creator of Winnie the Pooh wrote:Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them.

Cool as a Chicken

Post by Cool as a Chicken » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:41 pm

Cool as a Chicken wrote:
Gunny wrote:Lol murder by proxy. It's okay guys, I'm still human. I noticed a typo in my Tulane application, after I sent it in. Cheers.
No, no, no! Zombie Squad does not condone murder by proxy or murder for hire, for that matter. (Nor do I.) This is a kick in the buttocks for hire (a single kick is all that I'm paying for, but you or Gundown may want to thrown in extra at your discretion ... if the kickee has uttered this horrible phrase, he or she probably has committed other egregious grammar errors).
As I am not in the business of reviewing Tulane applications, I think it likely your typo will go unnoticed. :wink:

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:43 pm

Have you seen the size of my feet? :P Could be assault with a deadly weapon.

EndOfWorld

Post by EndOfWorld » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:39 pm

Hey Gunny, where did ZS Teddy go?
Off Duty Ninja wrote:I saw Gundown eat an entire cake once before we had the chance to tell him there was a stripper inside...

We need more Kansas members!

midgetyaz

Post by midgetyaz » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:44 pm

He's upset by the raptorman comment about not being cool if your avatar still has purple hair. He was crying in the corner all afternoon.

And I had a friend in high school who filled out his Tulane application in crayon and got in. Of course, Paul was a super genius, so....

I'd like to take this opportunity to tell everyone that I keep a copy of the Harbrace on my desk. If you have any questions about grammar, feel free to go to your local library and borrow the Harbrace. or buy one.
bonanacrom wrote:That made no sense at all. I think it was meant to make me dumber, and it worked.

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:51 pm

I tried to change it, then I broke the forum so I couldn't update it. Midgetyaz is supposed to be ontop of getting me a new avatar.

2duexs

Post by 2duexs » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:54 pm

Awwww B, they pick on you 'a lot' for being so particular about grammer.

Need me to kick some A$$? I'm not scared! :wink:

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:54 pm

ROFL thanks honey, I'll give you a few names ;)

zXzGrifterzXz
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Romero movies, The Stink of Flesh, Seige of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days later, The remakes of Night and Dawn.

Post by zXzGrifterzXz » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:44 pm

Gunny wrote:ROFL thanks honey, I'll give you a few names ;)
If you are going to have people beat up I would start with Kyle, he is a total jerk. Then that Grifter guy.... he is such a slacker. Least that is what everyone keeps telling me.
-NREMT - EMT
-NFPA 1006 Rescue Technician
-HAZMAT Technician

My Aid Bag
*Standard medical disclaimer applies to all of my posts, YMMV, Always check CNS before and after, never let the new guy drive, don't attempt anything you read here without proper supervision..... Blah Blah Blah*

midgetyaz

Post by midgetyaz » Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:51 am

Gunny, do you do any standing up for yourself? You've had Gundown kick ass for you, kyle turns your pet peeves into MC Hammers, and now you have 2Duexs fighting for you?

Pansy
bonanacrom wrote:That made no sense at all. I think it was meant to make me dumber, and it worked.

TheBlunderbuss

Post by TheBlunderbuss » Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:19 pm

Hey! You leave Gunny alone!
Meanie :P

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:40 pm

midgetyaz wrote:Gunny, do you do any standing up for yourself? You've had Gundown kick ass for you, kyle turns your pet peeves into MC Hammers, and now you have 2Duexs fighting for you?

Pansy

HEY HEY HEY, Gunny can kick some ass all by himself, i'm just the sneak attack!.

EndOfWorld

Post by EndOfWorld » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:42 pm

Wait, did the mods allow guests to post? I must have missed a memo.
Off Duty Ninja wrote:I saw Gundown eat an entire cake once before we had the chance to tell him there was a stripper inside...

kyle
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Wild Zero, Dawn of the Dead (original), Shaun of the Dead, Dellamorte Dellamore (The Cemetery Man), Braindead, Return of the Living Dead

Post by kyle » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:45 pm

fixed
Zombie Squad - "We can handle it from here. We've talked about this on the Internet."

midgetyaz

Post by midgetyaz » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:56 pm

Who was that?

kyle
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Wild Zero, Dawn of the Dead (original), Shaun of the Dead, Dellamorte Dellamore (The Cemetery Man), Braindead, Return of the Living Dead

Post by kyle » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:01 pm

midgetyaz wrote:Who was that?
According to the IP address it was someone at Gunny's place. :)
Zombie Squad - "We can handle it from here. We've talked about this on the Internet."

midgetyaz

Post by midgetyaz » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:08 pm

I'll bet it's his dog, Jake.

TheBlunderbuss

Post by TheBlunderbuss » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:16 pm

*thinks of that one photo of Jake asleep*

awwwwwwwwwwww!!

EndOfWorld

Post by EndOfWorld » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:19 pm

Jake was just cheering on the badassity of Gunny, proving that dogs are a man's best friend.

2duexs

Post by 2duexs » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:27 am

WOW... i did the post but didn't realize i had not signed in.

Return to “Ask ZS”