Is the End Nigh?

If you have a question for members of the Zombie Squad bring it over here.

If this is a question specifically for an official authorized representative of Zombie Squad, Inc. your best bet will be to e-mail service@zombiehunters.org

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Stercutus

Re: Is the End Nigh?

Post by Stercutus » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:38 am

It also occurs to me there are a number of posters who are no longer with the living, such as hk33k and Jeriah, whose musings are archived here, possibly nowhere else.
Also Blackdog and likely more we don't know about.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:35 pm

I would hate to see the forum go dark, but you all have heard me say this...always have a plan B.

I truly value the information I have picked up here from the many members. I would like to think that we could find a rally point and regroup if that happens.

I have spoken to Kyle about the forum going dark, he has assured me, that is not the plan.

That said I am not tech enough to run the programming aspect of this forum.

I would certainly be interested in hearing about a plan B with an alternate Rally Point for those who are interested.

Perhaps a Facebook group?

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:37 am

raptor wrote:I would hate to see the forum go dark, but you all have heard me say this...always have a plan B.

I truly value the information I have picked up here from the many members. I would like to think that we could find a rally point and regroup if that happens.

I have spoken to Kyle about the forum going dark, he has assured me, that is not the plan.

I would certainly be interested in hearing about a plan B with an alternate Rally Point for those who are interested.

As far as FB goes, I don't want my data raped anymore than it already is. :(

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:45 am

MPMalloy wrote:
raptor wrote:I would hate to see the forum go dark, but you all have heard me say this...always have a plan B.

As far as FB goes, I don't want my data raped anymore than it already is. :(
I"m with you on FB. Although I thought ahead and put in all false information when I build my FB profile back 15 years ago? I was paranoid then. Still am.

One possibility is to call FB a temporary rally point if things go dark, and someone buy or secure a good domain name for another forum. We would also likely need servers and a forum structure to upload when/if things go dark. Right now the site traffic is light enough it would not likely cost a lot to host a forum.

I"m on the hunt for another job, and once that comes through the "someone" mentioned above could be me. I also have some limited programming experience (willing to learn more) and I have friends with a lot of programming experience. Some of whom are fans of this site.

KJ4VOV, what programming languages would be needed for a site similar this? Just in case some others here might have the right tools and be willing to also help out if things go dark in the future.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:54 am

I should have been clearer about Facebook. As wood goes notes I meant that more as a temporary Rally Point in a solution.

There are ZS Facebook groups currently in existence.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:30 am

I don't do Facebook either. I have an account that the Army asked me to put up back in 2010 to show all the great things we were doing in Iraq. At my current job everyone has a Facebook account they got on their own but no one has one under their real name or personal identifying characteristics. It is amazing the things people will tell you when they think you are a 19 year old hottie to impress you. Often disappointing too when your married 43 year old neighbor with three kids starts hitting on you on line.

:roll:

Does not Raptor have access to all active EMails? How hard would it be to keep a list in another location? If this violates some kind of rules I can just send it to you.
Shall be my brother

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:47 am

Stercutus wrote: Does not Raptor have access to all active EMails? How hard would it be to keep a list in another location? If this violates some kind of rules I can just send it to you.
Nope. I have no such ability to access such a list.

If anyone is interested in doing that I have set up zsaltemail@gmail.com for this purpose. If you send it remember to put your screen name in the email body. Note this is a gmail account and as such I am not representing, warranting, or guaranteeing its security. ...not that I am doing that here on this forum either. just sayin...

BTW FB has literally 100's of million of fake accounts. It is not difficult to set them up...not saying you violate their TOS...only noting 100's of millions of others do. :wink:

Some people set up pages for their pets.

https://www.cnn.com/2012/08/02/tech/soc ... index.html

BTW the FB page for ZS Chap 1
https://www.facebook.com/ZSC001/

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:49 pm

As for a rally point, if people are not comfortable with FB, there is always MeWe. It says they don't do bad things with your data and is all about groups and such. I know ZS005 has a group called "ZS005 Dispora"

Could set up a group called "ZS Forum Rally Point" or something.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:36 pm

BTW FB has literally 100's of million of fake accounts. It is not difficult to set them up...not saying you violate their TOS...only noting 100's of millions of others do.
Facebook doesn't follow their TOS. When they get too far out of whack they just change them. If they don't follow them there is no way I will.
Shall be my brother

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:58 pm

woodsghost wrote:One possibility is to call FB a temporary rally point if things go dark, and someone buy or secure a good domain name for another forum. We would also likely need servers and a forum structure to upload when/if things go dark. Right now the site traffic is light enough it would not likely cost a lot to host a forum.
https://www.proboards.com/create-free-forum
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:50 pm

RickOShea wrote:
woodsghost wrote:One possibility is to call FB a temporary rally point if things go dark, and someone buy or secure a good domain name for another forum. We would also likely need servers and a forum structure to upload when/if things go dark. Right now the site traffic is light enough it would not likely cost a lot to host a forum.
https://www.proboards.com/create-free-forum
Call it ZS Dark Thirty

"We killed our dead things deader than dead, dead, dead"

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:14 pm

MPMallory - weren't you or Hiro keeping a fall back list of emails from the forum or am I mis-rembering?
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:10 pm

SCBrian wrote:MPMallory - weren't you or Hiro keeping a fall back list of emails from the forum or am I mis-rembering?
I can't remember. :?

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:48 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:
Call it ZS Dark Thirty
How about the 'Nacho Zombie forum' or the 'Apocalypse Acropolis'. :crazy:
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

echo83

Post by echo83 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:05 pm

Hmm...I guess this explains why I felt like I was trying to rekindle a one man postal match. Remember that thread?

I really, really, really don't want this place to go dark. I have lurked here for ages, and post only sporadically, so I pretty much only have myself to blame if it does.

That being said, the questions that I do have are answered promptly, in far more detail, and with far more information than I could find anywhere else, and I'm more confident with what I learn here than from "some guy on the internet." We are able to discuss situations with more nuance, civility and depth here than anywhere else on the internet.

I think that we owe it to ourselves and to each other to keep this place going.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:17 pm

echo83 wrote:Hmm...I guess this explains why I felt like I was trying to rekindle a one man postal match. Remember that thread?

I really, really, really don't want this place to go dark. I have lurked here for ages, and post only sporadically, so I pretty much only have myself to blame if it does.

That being said, the questions that I do have are answered promptly, in far more detail, and with far more information than I could find anywhere else, and I'm more confident with what I learn here than from "some guy on the internet." We are able to discuss situations with more nuance, civility and depth here than anywhere else on the internet.

Right on! And I keep meaning to get some stuff posted for the postal match. I have not forgotten. I have been busy running around the country visiting family. But I got some pistol shooting in. I should have taken pics and posted.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:26 pm

echo83 wrote:Hmm...I guess this explains why I felt like I was trying to rekindle a one man postal match. Remember that thread?

Yes. This. +a very large number.

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:14 am

I read it all, but post mainly in Chat Thread these days; occasionally a thread will come up I can still contribute to.
I've mostly liked the food section, and off topic has always had a wide range of interesting subjects.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:37 pm

jor-el wrote:Hacknarok again?

Would kind of hate to lose this place again. A lot of my police career is contained in my early posts, with all the relevant data on weaponry mixed within along with heavily edited politics.

You should have read the PM arguments I had with Kyle over the forum's direction and "perceived bias".

Think I cooled down after a second ban, but I never entirely gave up posting or arguing.

Still, life happens, and life is change. My concerns are somewhat less New York City related, and a lot more... Federal.

My Krypton is well on the way to certain destruction. I'm more active on local gun boards, but thanks to worsening legislation and political climate, they have become as moribund as here and the dwindling membership launch their family escape ships to more conservative friendly worlds. Before long I'll join them and watch the place of my birth collapse in a burst of flames, drugs and trash.
Welcome to the Exodus. I left in '01, and now glad that I did.

Back on topic, having run forums for, let's say a "few years", and ditto for the big online networks prior to forums, and ditto to BBSs before that, it's just the nature of the beast. Forums like this start out strong because they're usually started by a core group of friends with an interest in common. They then attract a bit of a following and other people with the same interest join and the place grows and prospers. But then some of the core group lose interest, move away, get wrapped up in family/corporate/school life and the place starts the slow slide downward. Ten years is usually the edge of the cliff point, and anything beyond that is freefall before the ground comes rushing up and the person paying the bills pulls the plug.

Can anything be done to save the old place? Probably not. The best that could be done would be to start fresh using us hangers-on as the "seed core" group. Start all over with a clean slate and make some of the changes that people have talked about but that were not implemented for one reason or another.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:41 pm

woodsghost wrote:Everyone I've talked to who searched for an alternative came up dry. Let us know if you find any alternatives.

If ZS goes dark, something will rise from the ashes. It may take some months. It may not. But something will come. There are too many people who appreciate this place. And the cost of this place is probably not very high. I've talked to people and the estimates are pretty reasonable.

EDIT:

I"d also start PMing your phone number or email address to ZS friends if you are a more social person and want to maintain contact with friends after a ZS collapse. Some people really want their privacy, though many of us also want to stay connected if things go down. So start getting in touch with friends now, and actually copy those phone numbers and email addresses down if your friends choose to share. That is the mistake I made during this ZS shutdown. I thought things were going good and did not feel the need to save contact information any place but in PMs.
Hell, any of you want contact info for me, just ask. And since I have my own mail server and can make/delete accounts at will, I don't really care about publicly posting my email: bernie@spwaw.com
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:46 pm

Well, we sorta have a sub Reddit we can use: /r/zsct

It's absolutely dead and has been for awhile, but that could change if people started joining it (private community for now)

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:48 pm

woodsghost wrote:
KJ4VOV, what programming languages would be needed for a site similar this? Just in case some others here might have the right tools and be willing to also help out if things go dark in the future.
PHP

This site runs on a set of PHP scripts in a package called phpBB3. The package is freeware BTW, and a lot of hosting plans include it as something you can install.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:14 am

Today I started to receive email notifications of new posts again.

Thank you to whomever made this possible!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Ellywick

Post by Ellywick » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:49 am

As a pretty new member compared to most of you, I would still be really sad if the forum went down. I don't post a ton, mainly because I'm not very interested in guns and a lot of the everyday posting is about firearms. That being said, there are still a lot of discussions I find interesting and I enjoy the overall civil discourse with people who know a lot about a lot of things. Not to mention all of the information from past threads on a vast variety of topics. Anyway, that's my 2 cents...or maybe 5, since I tend to talk a lot :)
"When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl..." "You find someone to carry you."

"She's tore up plenty, but she'll fly true."

Return to “Ask ZS”