It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 9:44 pm 

buck85 wrote:
It it is not what is said but how it is said.

Well said.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 4:39 am 

Hollis wrote:
buck85 wrote:

Well said.

So content doesn't count, just presentation? :clownshoes:

“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 5:09 am 

LowKey wrote:
Hollis wrote:
buck85 wrote:

Well said.

You don't watch much TV, do you...
:lol:
:wink:

Boy, I really need to go find some more coffee.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:12 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

NamelessStain wrote:
the_alias wrote:
I think it important to understand how these people think from a perspective of why the West is failing to integrate them and so many young men and women born in the West are making a choice to join groups like ISIS but ZS just isn't really the place.

So of course it's society's fault. This supports "honor killings" of which the West is so fond. I think you need to do more research on the cultural differences before blaming the West. Also blaming the West is against the rules just like it is to blame any other group.

:roll:
If you want to know my opinions PM me.

But I doubt you do, you just wanted to take a swipe. Yawn.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 12:57 pm 

LowKey wrote:
Hollis wrote:
buck85 wrote:

Well said.

A reply might be, it is like the art of diplomacy. "It is telling someone to go to hell where they look forward to the journey." The content is there and it is well stated and not lost in a diatribe of below:

Or are you saying, content doesn't matter unless you it is laced with ignorance, insults, rants, rages, bigotry etc?

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 1:49 pm 

Hollis wrote:
LowKey wrote:
Hollis wrote:
buck85 wrote:

Well said.

A reply might be, it is like the art of diplomacy. "It is telling someone to go to hell where they look forward to the journey." The content is there and it is well stated and not lost in a diatribe of below:

Or are you saying, content doesn't matter unless you it is laced with ignorance, insults, rants, rages, bigotry etc?

The first part of your post illustrates the problem perfectly; telling someone to go to hell is telling them to go to hell no matter how diplomatic it may be phrased, Likewise telling them to go to hell in the most course and inflammatory manner possible is likewise still telling them to go to hell.
In either case, you've told someone to go to hell. The only difference is in if they have the wit to see past the verbiage in which you've gift wrapped the message. Or more crudely put, shit gilded in gold leaf is still shit.
The content matters far more than the presentation, or should to any rational person. In the age old argument of style over substance, I'll take substance any day...no matter how uncouth it may be.

Should we all strive to avoid inflaming things? Absolutely.
Should we do so at the expense of not being truthful? Absolutely not.
If you start pushing for the tone to be more important than the information itself then you've given up on trying to discuss issues.

Truth from the most foul mouthed person alive is still truth.
Sweet, palatable lies from the most sophisticated and cosmopolitan of people alive is still a lie.
So while presentation may make a given pill easier to swallow, sugar coated BS is BS and a bitter pill of legitimate medicine no matter how bitter and unpalatable is still medicine.

So while we should all strive to be as non-inflammatory as possible, we shouldn't sacrifice facts (or truth) in favor of palatability.

“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 5:58 pm 

the_alias wrote:

I think it important to understand how these people think from a perspective of why the West is failing to integrate them and so many young men and women born in the West are making a choice to join groups like ISIS but ZS just isn't really the place.

ZS is the place to get help on a better plan for what happens when any crazy goes crazy and tries to hurt people.

Well West is large place without going in discussion on this forum it partially result of self-imposed isolation and European way of thinking that divide people on us and them and them is anybody who is not us, while US has "melting pot" idea.

I think that ZS does not want some discussion about specific groups because such discussions tend to turn into bashing parties.
There is 1.6 billion Muslims in the world at same time there is some 50-100 of the terrorist who happen to be Muslims and some number of those who are supportive but for average Muslim radical Islamist is the biggest threat.

As far as "honor killings" they are not part of Islam instead they are part of a pre-Islamic customs in certain parts of the world, where people from such culture happen to convert to Islam while holding old customs.

It is like Old Testament teaching about taking our unruly kids to the edge of the town and stoning them to death.

P.S. Idea that some LEO is going to jeopardize his or her job disclosing intel to somebody is unrealistic ( family as in wife, kids, parents, ) are given a code word that means get out of the Dodge and ask me no questions.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 10:31 pm 

LowKey wrote:
The first part of your post illustrates the problem perfectly; telling someone to go to hell is telling them to go to hell no matter how diplomatic it may be phrased, Likewise telling them to go to hell in the most course and inflammatory manner possible is likewise still telling them to go to hell.
In either case, you've told someone to go to hell. The only difference is in if they have the wit to see past the verbiage in which you've gift wrapped the message. Or more crudely put, shit gilded in gold leaf is still shit.
The content matters far more than the presentation, or should to any rational person. In the age old argument of style over substance, I'll take substance any day...no matter how uncouth it may be.

If you start pushing for the tone to be more important than the information itself then you've given up on trying to discuss issues.

Sweet, palatable lies from the most sophisticated and cosmopolitan of people alive is still a lie.
So while presentation may make a given pill easier to swallow, sugar coated BS is BS and a bitter pill of legitimate medicine no matter how bitter and unpalatable is still medicine.

So while we should all strive to be as non-inflammatory as possible, we shouldn't sacrifice facts (or truth) in favor of palatability.

You mentioned content............. Then you mention sugar coated BS, what content are you talking about. IMHO, the truth ( your word) is lost in the rant or rage or "sugar coated BS" is the same.

The truth from a foul mouth person is what, the profanity (foul mouth) or the thing they are coating? You condemn the sugar coating and support the foul coating. I don't see a difference. inflammatory or noninflammatory coating is the same.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 11:25 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Hollis wrote:
LowKey wrote:

You mentioned content............. Then you mention sugar coated BS, what content are you talking about. IMHO, the truth ( your word) is lost in the rant or rage or "sugar coated BS" is the same.

The truth from a foul mouth person is what, the profanity (foul mouth) or the thing they are coating? You condemn the sugar coating and support the foul coating. I don't see a difference. inflammatory or noninflammatory coating is the same.

Maybe I'm still a bit sleepy, it seems like you're trying to say that delivery is as important as the message? If so I agree completely. If the message is lost in poor communication, of the attempt at communication distracts from the message, then the communicator has failed. If I want to sell my companies services to a nunnery but show up with strippers tryign to entertain the Mother Superior when I make my pitch, my message is not going to get across. I may well be the best priced company for the job, but the way I tried to communicate my message was not tailored well to my audience. Similarly, if I'm trying to advertise my services as a pimp to the head of a shelter for recovering sex workers, it doesn't matter how true I think my claims to being the best pimp in the area are, I haven't ensured that my message is appropriate to the listener.

If someone keeps telling you "I don't care, we're not going to have that discussion here" it's time to take the message elsewhere, no matter how true you think it is.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 7:54 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

This thread was answered on page 1 and other mods agree with me that it has run it's course, it will remain locked.

Especially when you get posts like the one hondo made. Trying to moderate here effectively at times is like speaking to rocks.

To summarize you can discuss terrorism here without breaking rule #7 in the same way people have been able to discuss the Debt crisis/financial downturn.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3