It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Guaging Preparedness
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:32 am 

I have come up with an idea to help with recruiting at our next ZS event and could use some help with the details. I want to have a questionairre for people to fill out that will rate their level of preparedness. It would have questions like "do you have a bug out bag", "do you have a first aid kit", "are you CPR certified" etc. They would get a score from each item they have and could be rated as Extreme Prepper or Zombie Fodder or anything in between. Would also probably give out stickers or badges so they would wear them and other people would find out where to get the stickers - driving more people to our booth. More importantly, this questionairre gives them an idea what ZS is all about - we seem to have trouble getting the message across that we are not zombie enthusiasts at these events. This questionairre also leads to the dialogue of us asking them if they'd like to learn how to get prepared or learn how to help get their community prepared.
So I'm looking for ideas for what should be on the Questionairre. What are the most basic requirements for a prepper and what would qualify them as being very prepared and what kinds of prepping are really just a waste of time - like hording twinkies - which I did and found out they do in fact go stale after several months even if they are still in the plastic wrapper.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Guaging Preparedness
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:36 pm 

How about:

How much food do you have? Or maybe Do you have 3 days with of food? 7 days? 30 days?

Does your first aid kit contain: (alcohol, N-95 respirators, non-stick pads, gauze or equivalent, etc)

Do you own a firearm?

Do you use that firearm at least 3 times a year? 10 times? Have you ever shot it? etc.

Do you maintain your vehicle?

Do you keep supplies in your vehicle?

Do you work out? 1 time a week? 3 times? 1 time a year?

Do you go camping? How often?

Do you hunt, fish, or garden?

Do you can any produce?

Do you butcher and process your own meat?

There could be more, but these popped up as additions to the questions you mentioned.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:02 pm 

Quote:
So I'm looking for ideas for what should be on the Questionairre.

Spellchecker?

You might run afoul of the idea that people who prepare for disasters and take self defense seriously might not want to share personal information about what kind of firearms and training they have or how many Krugerrands they keep under their mattress.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:41 pm 

Not to mention being prepped well is going to mean very different things to different people due to the fact that individual threat profiles vary so much.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:15 pm 

Good point, so keep the questions very general in nature. I haven't run into too many paranoid preppers such as that at ZFest in Pittsburgh yet. In fact, seems like most people are eager to tell you what they got. I would actually prefer to keep the information very general as more detail just creates a longer, more complex form.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:36 pm 

You probably get a different crowd going to ZFest. The paranoid ones are likely not going to festivals, and if they are, they are probably not filling out questionnaires.

Just be aware of which population you are reaching out to. You are likely going to hit the more open ones :) And the curious. So good for you!

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:33 pm 

I am also hoping to make it very broad in scope because some people are well prepared for floods while others are well prepared for snow storms etc. If done well it could be useful for a personal analysis of what you are prepared for. In fact, we wouldn't even need for them to show us their answers. We are just interested in their score. People who have a high score we will ask if they are interested in helping us to prepare the rest of the community and people who have a low score we will ask if they want to join us to learn what they should be doing.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:42 pm 

If you could not access a grocery store or local restaurants for 20 days, could you still feed your family?

If you could not go to the pharmacy for your medications for 30 days, would you be alright?

If you lost your job tomorrow, would you have enough money to last until you found a new job?

If you had to leave your home within an hour, tomorrow, for an indeterminate amount of time, would you be ready?

If your vehicle broke down outside of cell reception in freezing weather, could you shelter in place for at least 8 hours?

Do you have a plan in place if you could not get home for 72 hours? Does your family know about the plan? What if phone communications were not an option?

How would you handle a violent home invader?

How would you prepare food during an extended power outage?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:02 pm 

Das sheep, these are exactly what I was looking for. You found just the right wording to make it applicable to almost anything.

I can add some basic ones like "is there a smoke detector on every floor of your home?"

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:11 am 

To necromance this thread, and add to what has already been said, I would advised NOT to focus on all the thousands of things that cannot be done and focus on what you CAN do instead.

If you list all the relevant skills, exercise/conditioning, equipment, location and other applicable traits of your situation, ask yourself the following question:
"If I used just these advantages and applied the Zombie Pandemic situation to it, could I realistically survive? How many ways can I realistically survive?"

All I would advise as a final note is that you should never talk yourself up or down too much.
For example some real experience in gardening is useful even if you aren't a crop farmer. Conversely if you tell yourself you are a "self trained warrior" or some other form of nonsense when you have no real life training then you will get cocky and die.