It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Do you use a tablet or mobile device to read your forums (except of course ZS)
Yes, all the time except for ZS 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
Most of the time 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
50/50 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
Mostly use a computer 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Only use a computer 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 10
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:35 pm 

I, and probably a large percentage of forum readers read their forums more and more not on desktop computers but on some mobile device.

I don't know if this is true of the ZS community, but for me, I almost exclusively read my forums on my tablet or my phone. In fact, I find this is one of the things a tablet does really well.

I use tapatalk, but some of my other forums have their own reader SW just for them.

A while back ZS did connect via tapatalk, but I guess there were issues. Not sure why, supposedly it is super easy to connect via tapatalk.

So I am asking those who run ZS to consider either bringing back tapatalk support, or some sort of mobile reader.

Maybe a poll asking users if they use their tablets/mobile devices to read forums and how much they do it would be of interest. Maybe I am the minority, but I would be surprised if I am.

Thanks for listening to me.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:39 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

I use my phone to read ZS all the time, never felt the need for any software intermediate.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:49 pm 

ZMace wrote:
I use my phone to read ZS all the time, never felt the need for any software intermediate.

You must have good eyes. Reading via a browser , pinching and zooming, trying to hit the page to jump around is almost impossible for me, and I have a 5" screen. I couldn't imagine doing this on an iphone older 4" screen phone.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:28 pm 

jbinbi wrote:
ZMace wrote:

You must have good eyes. Reading via a browser , pinching and zooming, trying to hit the page to jump around is almost impossible for me, and I have a 5" screen. I couldn't imagine doing this on an iphone older 4" screen phone.

Well I guess that may depend on which phone platform you are using, I happen to run both and Iphone 5s and a Galaxy SIII and even though the Samsung has a slightly bigger screen, I find that Apple's browser is off the shelf pretty forum-format friendly, so much like ZMace I don't feel the need for a 'forum reader'.

On the other hand, I used to be one of the people who'd run Tapatalk on Android because even with the larger screen I could not for the life of me get comfortable reading the forum in Chrome. For the record I have both myopia and astigmatism.

As for why ZS is not longer on Tapatalk, well there is a whole thread on it. TL;DR: The guys running TT behaved in a less than ethical fashion, it is an interesting read, google it. :mrgreen:

I <3 ZS!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:39 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

I use a Samsung Galaxy Note3 (a quite large phone) on its side and Firefox to read ZS.

It comes out almost exactly the same size as when I read on my 21" monitor, about 12 point font.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:08 pm 

I browse on my tablet (web browser) as well, tried tapatalk and found its interface too iphonish for my liking so it was uninstalled.

Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:51 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Tapatalk is terrible software, the developers are assholes, and their business model sucks. We're not running tapatalk here, sorry. When some forum software comes around that isnt an utter piece of shit, we'll reconsider.

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:56 pm 

I generally use my phone because I'm always busy, at work (HA I'm an AWESOME employee) or just lazy and don't want to set on my desktop.

But I HATED tapatalk it was utter crap. I'd rather just have the desktop version on my phone.

Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:32 pm 

I've taken to reading the forums on my android tablet (mostly because my laptop crapped the bed), and I just use the standard droid browser. I have gotten pretty good at navigating the forum with the default skin, but I hate tablet and phone text input with the force of a thousand suns. No experience with tapatalk at all, and since ZS is bout the only forum I frequent anymore I doubt I ever will.

ETA: edited for autocorrect bullshit, which just supports my hatred.

Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:30 am 

You can turn off autocorrect. I picked up a cheap $25 bluetooth keyboard to try out with my tablet.

Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:30 am 

The reason I liked tapatalk was because it was quick and easy. If I wanted to add a pic to a page, I just clicked two buttons and done. I understand getting rid of it on principal, but it was more convenient for me. Hope fully we get something similar down the line. :roll: