Photobucket question

If you have a question for members of the Zombie Squad bring it over here.

If this is a question specifically for an official authorized representative of Zombie Squad, Inc. your best bet will be to e-mail service@zombiehunters.org

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

drivepirate

Photobucket question

Post by drivepirate » Fri May 10, 2013 11:52 pm

I have been using Photobucket to link pictures in the forums but it is getting to be a pain to resize them and avoid the "too many pixels high" error message. I all ways seem to get the photos small enough but I have to crop them, resize them, check it, then "rinse and repeat".

Does anyone know a fast way to get photos edited in Photobucket in order to link them to the forum?

Thanks for any and all suggestions =)

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Re: Photobucket question

Post by majorhavoc » Sat May 11, 2013 8:55 am

Resizing using the tools on any of the picture hosting sites is a PITA because they're web based and everything happens very slowly. Resize on your computer using a photo editor and then upload. Set up a special folder in your PB library for forum picture posts.

But no matter how you handle it, it's always going to be a pain accommodating the picture size limit. Understanding why it exists in the first place takes a lot of the sting out of it, at least for me.

800 pixels lateral dimension is perfectly adequate for viewing a picture online. You gain nothing in terms of visual acuity by going larger unless the viewer has an extremely high quality monitor. Supersizing a forum picture will likely diminish most users experiences by needlessly lengthening load times and introducing the bane of all who surf the web: the scroll bar.

For our esteemed forum hosts, massive .jpg files increase bandwidth which costs them money. ZS is a charity. I'd rather my membership dues go to disaster education than paying bandwidth overage charges to accommodate a pointless 1200 pixel lateral dimension limit.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat May 11, 2013 9:17 am

majorhavoc wrote: For our esteemed forum hosts, massive .jpg files increase bandwidth which costs them money. ZS is a charity. I'd rather my membership dues go to disaster education than paying bandwidth overage charges to accommodate a pointless 1200 pixel lateral dimension limit.
False. It costs them nothing. The image is being sent from the site where it is hosted, not from the ZS server. The ZS server is merely providing the link. None of the picture data actually flows through the ZS servers.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by majorhavoc » Sat May 11, 2013 10:14 am

KJ4VOV wrote:
majorhavoc wrote: For our esteemed forum hosts, massive .jpg files increase bandwidth which costs them money. ZS is a charity. I'd rather my membership dues go to disaster education than paying bandwidth overage charges to accommodate a pointless 1200 pixel lateral dimension limit.
False. It costs them nothing. The image is being sent from the site where it is hosted, not from the ZS server. The ZS server is merely providing the link. None of the picture data actually flows through the ZS servers.
So besides courtesy to viewers re: load times and scrolling, are there any financial reasons for the size limit on directed linked images?

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat May 11, 2013 10:48 am

majorhavoc wrote:
KJ4VOV wrote:
So besides courtesy to viewers re: load times and scrolling, are there any financial reasons for the size limit on directed linked images?
Financial? None that I can think of. Mostly it's page load times and courtesy to those with smaller screens. There are ways to handle that and allow images of practically any size but this has the advantage of simplicity.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by majorhavoc » Sat May 11, 2013 11:07 am

Hell, then I want at least 900 pixel lateral dimensions. Almost everyone's running screen resolutions to display that without resorting to scroll bars.

Resizing is a PITA.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat May 11, 2013 11:22 am

majorhavoc wrote:Hell, then I want at least 900 pixel lateral dimensions. Almost everyone's running screen resolutions to display that without resorting to scroll bars.

Resizing is a PITA.
If it were up to me... but it's not. You'll have to take it up with the powers that be if you really want to petition for it. I just wanted to correct your small error regarding bandwidth and images.

Return to “Ask ZS”