TEOTWAWKI prepardness from myth, legends of history

If you have a question for members of the Zombie Squad bring it over here.

If this is a question specifically for an official authorized representative of Zombie Squad, Inc. your best bet will be to e-mail service@zombiehunters.org

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Nutpantz

TEOTWAWKI prepardness from myth, legends of history

Post by Nutpantz » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:42 pm

i was just wondering how many different myth, legends or religious groups and historical references to being prepared for major disasters .. and why..(the disasters they were preparing for.)
IE. the Norse prepared for Ragnarök , because one day ( some non gods but still mighty powerful) would come back for what was once theirs..
Mormons have something about storing a year of food i heard someplace, but could be wrong..

NOT a discussion of truths of myth or religion..
but exchanging knowledge of organized groups that had plans to prepare for something
(this might be the wrong section but i could not find a better one after a few minutes looking)
Equality can only exist between equals.
Civilization implies division of labor, division of labor implies subordination and subordination implies injustice and inequality.

Rin

Re: TEOTWAWKI prepardness from myth, legends of history

Post by Rin » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:24 pm

Not certain we can discuss this without getting into religion, since most, if not all of the older end times stories are taken from a religious tradition of some sort... but, trying to look at this from a purely literary standpoint, I've seen creation stories from all over the world, but ones about the end of the world seem to be a little more rare... The only ones I've really came in contact with are those from the Abrahamic traditions and the stories about Ragnarök, although apparently Hinduism also has something, and a while back I heard about a Hopi prophecy.

Now when you start getting into modern day stuff end times stores become more prevalent. The Cthulu mythos for example. We seem to be fascinated by the end of everything... of course that could be a western cultural thing spawning from the Judeo-Christian tradition along with the perpetual feeling that the world is going to pot :shrug: According to my research dystopias seem to be a fairly recent literary phenomenon. That's not to say people didn't worry about the end of the world or anything before... evidently around the year 1000 people freaked out really bad... but I guess they just didn't write other stories about it much. I must admit, I wonder what that says about our modern psyches... but I digress.

The only culture I've really seen prepare for the end times in a physical way is the Mormons. Otherwise mostly seems like spiritual preparation... and I don't know how most Heathens feel about Ragnarok to be honest... I think an actual movement towards preparedness comes more from a standard dystopic sort of story, 1984, Fahrenheit 451, The handmaid's Tale, The Hunger Games, etc... cautionary tales, rather than apocalyptic ones, because apocalyptic stories seem to be an end to everything... and why would you prepare if you're just going to die right off the bat or very shortly thereafter. With most apocalyptic stories there's no hope, or if there is it's not at all in our hands. Whereas in cautionary tales we can see where things might have gone wrong and look for it in our own culture and perhaps work towards changing it while we still have time.

Now, as far as preparedness taken from history... I think that's where some of the Mormon aims toward preparedness comes from. And it's something society does all the time. Like where I live, people remember this huge flood that happened in the 1970's, and everyone talks about how far it got up, whose homes and businesses got flooded out. Everyone has a story and has passed it down to their kids. And I guess in that way those stories take on a mythic quality of their own now that I think about it... :) Argh... sorry, I'm gonna stop before I start rambling even more than I am... this is hitting into all my favorite little english majory things and it's been too long since I've really gotten to stretch those muscles.

:edit: :oops: But you know, since I'm not actually a full member of Zombie Squad, and a pretty new member on the forums, maybe I should have just waited and kept quiet, since this is in the ask ZS section.... didn't notice that when I saw the post on the active topics list...

Nutpantz

Re: TEOTWAWKI prepardness from myth, legends of history

Post by Nutpantz » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:19 pm

just some random stuff i have found about end of the world myths..
i really have to spend some time researching more..

nothing here is verified and may even be total fiction.. so read with a massive grain of salt.. (where did that saying come from)

http://library.thinkquest.org/03oct/008 ... alypse.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://library.thinkquest.org/C0118142/ ... themes.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.elfwood.com/woodworks/2004/i ... cmyth.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

( i dont see a copyright forbidding anything but i don't want to copy word for word the info there)

Buddhist prophecies, the equivalent of Armageddon is Shambhala . but i think that is a good triumphs over evil thing, but still could be called TEOTWAWKI ... if everything becomes good and beautiful

i don't consider anything thought up by contemporary creative writers and latched onto by people and thought of as fact...
IE no i don't think the church of Elvis has a end of the of world myth and if they did...pass...

the Greek Gods fought the titians and took the earth from them... was there a myth that the titians would return for it, or were they wiped out all together ?? ( yep my poor memory is not helping me here)

then there is this... and i have to say when men forget history, they make it up..

The term Armageddon means "hill of Megiddo," which was an ancient town in what is now northern Israel. Megiddo stood at the crossroads of military and trade routes that connected Egypt, Israel, Phoenicia, Syria, and Mesopotamia*. Numerous battles were fought at Megiddo because of its strategic location. Over time, the word Armageddon began to be used to mean any great battle.

Read more: http://www.mythencyclopedia.com/Am-Ar/A ... z2RbelazMu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yes i have more reading to do..
Equality can only exist between equals.
Civilization implies division of labor, division of labor implies subordination and subordination implies injustice and inequality.

Return to “Ask ZS”