Archival Paper - Best Source?

If you have a question for members of the Zombie Squad bring it over here.

If this is a question specifically for an official authorized representative of Zombie Squad, Inc. your best bet will be to e-mail service@zombiehunters.org

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Identity Thief

Archival Paper - Best Source?

Post by Identity Thief » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:14 pm

So, I have amassed a substantial amount of information on survival techniques, first aid, weapons manufacturing, and all things related to the PAW.
But most of my information is stored digitally - and we all know that one good EMP will prevent that information from ever being accessed again - or a power failure.
I am wanting to print and store my own books - loose leaf in a binder - maybe with plastic covers like a college report....

But I am very aware that normal inks will fade over time and normal papers will yellow and fall apart.
I don't want to send volumes and volumes of these documents to professional archival companies as they are prohibitively expensive - so I am looking for the best way to do this at home.

I have a standard Ink Jet Printer from Canon ( MG5220) so I am looking for 2 things specifically:
1) What is and where can I find the most long lasting ink that can be used in a home printer for archiving of documents?
2) What is and where can I find the most long lasting paper that can be used in an inkjet printer?

I collect comics as well (used to decades ago) so I am versed in non-acid papers and the special bags for storing comics... but I am looking for a way to create 20 or 30 "book" which will last for a VERY long time after printing.

Any thoughts?

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
--John F. Kennedy

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Archival Paper - Best Source?

Post by NT2C » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:41 pm

Personally, I think you're several orders of magnitude more likely to lose your printed records to fire/flood than you are to lose electronic records stored on a SD chip in a waterproof metal pill bottle to EMP, but hey... Your local Staples can hook you up with archival papers and most modern inkjet inks are waterproof and UV stable enough to last decades. My particular experience is with Epson Dura-Brite inks and documents printed with them years ago that are still perfectly legible. Another source for archival paper would be Levingers
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

spanningtree
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil

Post by spanningtree » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:46 pm

I would also opt for an electronic storage method. Store data on USB (the most common interface) flash drives and then back it up with some copies burned to CD/DVD. Store the flash drives and a laptop (or whatever your using for retrieval) in a home built faraday cage to negate the EMP hoopla.

Identity Thief

Post by Identity Thief » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:49 pm

This is for redundancy.
I already have everything on USB sicks and CD's.
I'm looking for an "old school" method of long term storage - I'll check at staples for the paper. Thanks.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
--John F. Kennedy

Return to “Ask ZS”