Thank you for 'No Politics'.

If you have a question for members of the Zombie Squad bring it over here.

If this is a question specifically for an official authorized representative of Zombie Squad, Inc. your best bet will be to e-mail service@zombiehunters.org

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

collisionsurfer

Thank you for 'No Politics'.

Post by collisionsurfer » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:14 pm

Yeah, I know it's not a question, but I don't know where else to put it:

Thank you for the 'No Politics' rule, and enforcing it. This is pretty much the only survival/prepper site I still feel I can frequent. I just checked out a few sites I hadn't seen before through a list on a blog, and: woah. Racism (anti-black, anti-hispanic, anti-semitic, anti-everyone-but-me-and-my-buddies, sometimes), homophobia, neo-nazism, you-are-going-to-hell-if you-don't-share-my-religion and general I-can't-wait-until-we-can-we-start-shooting-folks-who-didn't-vote-the-way-I-wanted-them-to attitude. If TS does ever really HTF, these people will surely be problems, not solutions.

Very often, there's more (extreme) politics than survival than on some 'survival' sites. It's horrible. It's surely the main reason that interested in survival = nutjob to so many (most?) people.

This is an outpost of sanity, by comparison. Thank you for it.

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Re: Thank you for 'No Politics'.

Post by Kutter_0311 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:30 pm

I agree. Even though I've, once or twice, gotten warnings for being a bit political.

It's much more useful to talk about how to be prepared for the fallout of political actions than bitch about politics.

Bitching about shit is what FB is for :wink:
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

Sins

Post by Sins » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:40 pm

I myself have been torn on the issue. While I respect good intentions behind it, it feels awful censoring. Great communities aren't formed under the constructs of censorship. However, rules are rules and I bet the forum would flame pretty bad without the policy

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:46 pm

It's a necessary evil that I sometimes hate,but mostly appreciate. Like the OP, I basically had to leave other prepper sites due to the force-feeding of religious and political views.

For the greater good!
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:50 pm

Sins wrote:I myself have been torn on the issue. While I respect good intentions behind it, it feels awful censoring. Great communities aren't formed under the constructs of censorship. However, rules are rules and I bet the forum would flame pretty bad without the policy
That and there are plenty of forums for political discussion, and where to draw the line in a political discussion is a lot blurrier than saying "No politics." Having this line lets the mods work on spammers and such, instead of monitoring volatile political threads. If you look at "other" gun and prep boards, their a bit of a madhouse right now.

Good, calm prep forums like this are hard to find. As a matter of fact, ZS is the only one I know of.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

zXzGrifterzXz
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Romero movies, The Stink of Flesh, Seige of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days later, The remakes of Night and Dawn.

Post by zXzGrifterzXz » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:55 pm

You've probably all seen those bumper stickers that say "If you enjoy your freedom, Thank a Soldier."

Well, if you enjoy this forum, Thank a Mod.

As a former Mod myself, I can attest that they spend countless hours a day combing through some of the dumbest posts such as "Im goin to walmart wearin zombie guts in the apocalypze!!" All to make sure this forum is a great base of knowledge and learning free from racism and hate speech. It can be a thankless job and normally your most common interactions with the community is from people whining/bitching about why they their thread or post got nuked. It’s a volunteer gig and it can really wear you out(I'm living proof of Moderator burn-out syndrome) and sometimes make you hate one of the things you originally loved about Zombie Squad.

So if you like this place then thank a Mod, they don't hear it enough and they will greatly appreciate it.
-NREMT-P
-NFPA 1006 Rescue Technician
-HAZMAT Technician

My Aid Bag
*Standard medical disclaimer applies to all of my posts, YMMV, Always check CNS before and after, never let the new guy drive, don't attempt anything you read here without proper supervision..... Blah Blah Blah*

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:58 pm

The no politics/religion rule is pretty much why ZS is my primary forum online. There are thousands of other forums you can join if you want to read rants and raves of different views.... and I hate it. I'm on a few other prep, gun and 2a boards, and they all usually end up with some sort of flame war on politics and such.

I don't like talking this stuff in real life, I sure as hell don't like talking about it on the internet. Thank you ZS.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead TV series, anything George Romero

Post by DJH » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:41 pm

The NP rule here at ZS is probably what keeps most people on here friends.

I too see it as a nice calm refuge from the BS of other sites.

Thanks mods!
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I'll still be lower than all my friends.

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (org)

Post by Sckitzo » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:47 pm

I am one of the biggest anti-censorship people among my friends and I love the no politics rule here. I don't view it as censorship because there is no illusion that discussion of politics or religion is allowed to start with. It really is the biggest reason I've stuck around as long as I have and since I joined during the 2008 election season I doubt I would have made it more then a month or two on here until I got sick of why Pancake is the devil or Waffles eats babies.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:55 pm

Yep, the NP/NR rule is one of the outstanding attributes of the ZS community.

I've learned that if I can just put aside my own bullheaded views on politics and religion, I can learn a shit ton from some really cool people that come from all across the spectrum. But nothing ruins the lively exchange of ideas and burgeoning online friendships than dragging politics and religion into the dialogue.

Keeping hundreds of opinionated, head-strong and over-read people to adhere to that rule is a never-ending task for the moderators, but it is one they do exceedingly well.

mckbrew

Post by mckbrew » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:42 pm

Pretty much the main reason I like it here.

airballrad
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by airballrad » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:01 pm

Tetra Grammaton Cleric wrote:ZS is where rabid republicans can sit down and talk trigger tuning jobs on AR variants with devout democrats; where successful businessmen, doctors and lawyers can sit down and talk about backpacks and hydration pouches with struggling students and minimum wagers; where short back and sides sunday go to meeting types can sit down and talk vegetable gardening with punk rocking tattooed pagans; where paranoid skywatchers can sit down and talk food & water storage preps with your highly skeptical grandmother and it's because of the things we don't talk about when we sit down to talk that this is so.

shrapnel
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Location: Aboard Baron von Counterculture's groovy purple dirigible, glaring down through a monocle.

Post by shrapnel » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:04 pm

Dawgboy wrote:It's a necessary evil that I sometimes hate,but mostly appreciate. Like the OP, I basically had to leave other prepper sites due to the force-feeding of religious and political views.

For the greater good!

THE GREATER GOOD.
OTTB wrote:"What's that you're wearing?"
"This? Oh, just my rabies hat."
shrapnel wrote:Darling, I would never fondle your sphenoid.
Dr. Cox wrote: People aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings.
JamesCannon wrote:Shrapnel, if you were a superhero, you'd be Captain Buzzkill Peener Pain.

carolinafan
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Resident Evil, Zombieland

Post by carolinafan » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:21 am

shrapnel wrote:
Dawgboy wrote:It's a necessary evil that I sometimes hate,but mostly appreciate. Like the OP, I basically had to leave other prepper sites due to the force-feeding of religious and political views.

For the greater good!

THE GREATER GOOD.

Beat me to it.

Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit(he who is not prepared today will be less so tomorrow)-Ovid

Blacksheep

Post by Blacksheep » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:34 am

obviously there are advantages to it, but I agree that at times it does feel like quite the censor...
sometimes there are things that I feel DO need to be discussed, but what do I know...

I think a nice compromise would be a small subforum that people can talk about w\e bullshit... but unfortunately I think it would spiral out of control
I never fit in. That's my role in life, to be the outcast.

ATEi

RIP- FiftySticks

airballrad
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by airballrad » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:50 am

Rebel Pariah wrote:I think a nice compromise would be a small subforum that people can talk about w\e bullshit... but unfortunately I think it would spiral out of control
We have a fairly active IRC channel on Freenode: http://www.zombiehunters.org/chat.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Normal forum rules don't apply there, although trolls still get kicked. :crazy:

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:11 am

The main reason I enjoy the ZS forums is that it is actually a good source of information and not an ideological circle-jerk with pages of flame wars and hate. The mods do a great job keeping the poo-flinging to a minimum, and the community does a pretty good job of policing itself as well.

I do understand that it may frustrate some members that some prep-related political issues can't be discussed here (it frustrates me sometimes), but I do think its important for us to keep in mind that ZS isn't an internet forum, but a charity with an honorable mission.
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:24 pm

Rebel Pariah wrote:sometimes there are things that I feel DO need to be discussed, but what do I know...
I feel that way too, but that's why I go to other forums where the things aren't quite as nice.

ZS is kind of like an oasis, and when you want to grow cactus you leave the oasis instead of trying to change it, because it's beautiful the way it is. On ZS, you grow rice and beans. :crazy:
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

Pockie

Post by Pockie » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:39 pm

There have been a few occasions where I've thought to post something, and had to change my mind to stay within the rules, so I understand the frustration. But as someone who has come close to losing friends IRL over political/religious debates, I can imagine how quickly things could escalate here and turn into a pissing contest. Instead of spending time learning things, I'd spend time reading, "F you", "No, F you" over and over again.
I tried to get a friend on this site, sent her the link and told her, read some forums, read the rules, post an intro before diving in, and, after reading the rules thought that the site seemed too uptight and anal about the rules. I looked at her like she was nuts... some of the funniest shit I read in any given day is in one of the topics I randomly browse here... her loss.
Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.- Isaac Asimov

Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Rabid (1977)

Post by Ad'lan » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:58 pm

Sins wrote:I myself have been torn on the issue. While I respect good intentions behind it, it feels awful censoring. Great communities aren't formed under the constructs of censorship. However, rules are rules and I bet the forum would flame pretty bad without the policy
As a one of the ones doing the censoring, I think it's important to recognise that yes, it is censorship, for the most part it's self censorship. I have to remember that I end up having to deal with a tiny minority of our posters, most of whom obey the rules with no issue. Considering the number of posters, we have tiny amount who post inappropriate stuff.

And we aren't censoring people anywhere but ZS. This is the community built under the rules, and we keep the rules because they help the community flourish. This is small c censorship.
My Guide to making your own Bowstring
My Guide to making your own Flint Arrowheads
My Guide to Fletching
My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.
Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:12 pm

For the record, great communities are indeed formed under censorship (the above small-c self-censorship) such as the much-lauded days of yore when everyone spoke respectfully and said sir and ma'am. It's censorship when I pause from calling someone a gruel-slopping-monkey-fucking-coconut-brained imbecile and instead use the words "sir" and "please." It's censorship when I wear clothes instead of walking naked to the grocery store. That sort of censorship, self-imposed or otherwise helps us build a community where I don't get into it with anyone who disagrees with my views (real or fictional) on public nudity or the impropriety of calling someone's significant other a horse-faced banshee with the ass of a semi-truck and eating habits of a supergravitational field.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Sins

Post by Sins » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:28 pm

^^true

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:47 pm

I am very pleased they do that here on Zombie...
I have left several quite nice forums after they quit moderating religion & politics.
There was a post from someone last year here, whom I had come to respect, that was removed and put in the 'random bullshit' thread.
I am pleased it was, because it took me quite a while to not get angry about that post every time I saw the poster's name...
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Florida_Tony

Post by Florida_Tony » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:02 pm

I totally agree. The "No Politics" rule is key.

And yet, I wish there were a way to talk about some of that stuff here. Not elsewhere, but here. Because I would REALLY like to read some of the ZS thoughts on the current ******** issue. I'm sure I'm not alone in that.

C'est la vie.

Return to “Ask ZS”