What happened?

If you have a question for members of the Zombie Squad bring it over here.

If this is a question specifically for an official authorized representative of Zombie Squad, Inc. your best bet will be to e-mail service@zombiehunters.org

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

moab

Re: What happened?

Post by moab » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:06 am

woodsghost wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:34 am
RoneKiln wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:47 am
I cannot imagine trying to save even a fraction of the knowledge and stories from this site.
A friend ran a big python script and captured all the publicly available information. Or I *think* that job finished. I'll have to ask him. So it's doable. If you are a coder I *think* he sent me the GitHub info link. There has been a lot said lately between him and me, so I'll have to dig.
This is awesome. Let us know this worked. I guess i should still copy my own threads?
With ZS shutting down these forums on July 1st many of us have moved to a brand new site:

www.ufozs.com

See everyone there!

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:03 am

flybynight wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:16 am
Who'd have thought ZS would become the Photo bucket of the prepper world.
:ooh:

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:23 am

moab wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:06 am
woodsghost wrote:
RoneKiln wrote:
I cannot imagine trying to save even a fraction of the knowledge and stories from this site.
A friend ran a big python script and captured all the publicly available information. Or I *think* that job finished. I'll have to ask him. So it's doable. If you are a coder I *think* he sent me the GitHub info link. There has been a lot said lately between him and me, so I'll have to dig.
This is awesome. Let us know this worked. I guess i should still copy my own threads?
My advice is "always cover your own butt." I'll check with him on the success/failure.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

NapalmMan67

Post by NapalmMan67 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:26 am

NT2C wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:03 pm
NapalmMan67 wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:02 pm
Question for you more tech savvy than I. I have a bunch of bookmarks for threads on the site here, how would I be able to access those in the future without being able to log in?

Do I have to bookmark each thread in my favorites list on the PC?
Guests do have the ability to browse most of the forums, just not all of the areas and they can't post. I believe Kyle's plan after locking the doors is to make it all read-only and as a guest you'd have access to all the public areas.
Understood. Maybe I'm not asking correctly. Through my ZS CP, I have something like 128 threads "bookmarked" for informational reference, so when I log in I can read them as I require.

Since we won't be able to log in, and in order to access all of those (because no way I'm remembering them all), I'm pretty sure I'll have to open each thread and create a bookmark on my PC to save for future reference?

Fahk this will suck...

The end is coming 07-01-2021. Goodbbye ZS, we had a good shamble.

See you on the flip side here :arrow: https://ufozs.com/smf/index.php

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:53 am

moab wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:06 am
woodsghost wrote:
RoneKiln wrote:
My friend said it didn't work. The code is looping and recopying same info over and over.

He is trying a new approach this weekend.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:38 am

NapalmMan67 wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:26 am
NT2C wrote:
NapalmMan67 wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:02 pm
Question for you more tech savvy than I. I have a bunch of bookmarks for threads on the site here, how would I be able to access those in the future without being able to log in? Do I have to bookmark each thread in my favorites list on the PC?
Guests do have the ability to browse most of the forums, just not all of the areas and they can't post. I believe Kyle's plan after locking the doors is to make it all read-only and as a guest you'd have access to all the public areas.
Understood. Maybe I'm not asking correctly. Through my ZS CP, I have something like 128 threads "bookmarked" for informational reference, so when I log in I can read them as I require. Since we won't be able to log in, and in order to access all of those (because no way I'm remembering them all), I'm pretty sure I'll have to open each thread and create a bookmark on my PC to save for future reference?

Fahk this will suck...
That sounds like it would work........ :|

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:03 am

NapalmMan67 wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:26 am
Understood. Maybe I'm not asking correctly. Through my ZS CP, I have something like 128 threads "bookmarked" for informational reference, so when I log in I can read them as I require.

Since we won't be able to log in, and in order to access all of those (because no way I'm remembering them all), I'm pretty sure I'll have to open each thread and create a bookmark on my PC to save for future reference?

Fahk this will suck...
Yes, don't use the ZS CP to set bookmarks, add them to your favorites in your browser.

Or, create a text file / Word document / vi file with all the individual thread URLs in it.

(I'm sure there are other options, too, but those are the simpler ones.)
ZS forum member, Aug 2007-Jun 2021

Member, ZSC:010 - UK Chapter (gone but not forgotten!)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.
Now contributing at https://www.ufozs.com/

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:03 pm

Save as PDF????

boskone

Post by boskone » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:19 pm

Install Onetab add-on, open all the bookmarks, click the Onetab icon to send 'em all to OneTab, then export them. They're just text then, paste into notepad or whatever.

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:37 pm

Shit. Been a fun ride, guys. Learned a lot here. Grew as a prepper, and as a member of my community. I still have my first member badge in my backup wallet, and after all these years I'm still proud of the damn thing.

Maybe I'll see some of you folks over on the new forum when it's up and running.
NT2C wrote:

So if everyone is in guest mode, that pretty much nukes everything in OT, doesn't it?

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:54 pm

DarkAxel wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:37 pm
Shit. Been a fun ride, guys. Learned a lot here. Grew as a prepper, and as a member of my community. I still have my first member badge in my backup wallet, and after all these years I'm still proud of the damn thing.

Maybe I'll see some of you folks over on the new forum when it's up and running.
NT2C wrote:

So if everyone is in guest mode, that pretty much nukes everything in OT, doesn't it?
Shit, that's right :(

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:57 pm

DarkAxel wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:37 pm

NT2C wrote:

Kyle can change that. I will, however, nuke all the CHAT threads as my last act before the doors close.
With ZS shutting down these forums on July 1st most of the cool kids have moved to a brand new site:

www.ufozs.com

It's not ZS, it's ... different. 8-)

See you there!

moab

Post by moab » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:14 pm

Wheres bugout gear on the new forum? We need a place to post inch and bobs.
With ZS shutting down these forums on July 1st many of us have moved to a brand new site:

www.ufozs.com

See everyone there!

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:55 pm

moab wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:14 pm
I think that may fall under the "Carrying All Your Stuff" category, Moab.
To all my friends I've made over the years on ZS, I'll see y'all around.

Thanks for putting up with me since 2009.
:D

Come start a new adventure at http://www.ufozs.com/

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:56 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:55 pm
moab wrote:
The chimp speaks the truth.
With ZS shutting down these forums on July 1st most of the cool kids have moved to a brand new site:

www.ufozs.com

See you there!

moab

Post by moab » Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:33 pm

NT2C wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:56 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
moab wrote:
Can you add "Bags, cases and their contents."? Sounds like were just discussing bags. I know this isnt a democracy. :) just a friendly request. :) We love you, NT2C! The new site is awesome. I love the new sites opening page. That arm is awesome! Lol

www.ufozs.com

See everyone there!

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:40 pm

moab wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:33 pm
NT2C wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
moab wrote:
Can you add "Bags, cases and their contents."? Sounds like were just discussing bags. I know this isnt a democracy. :) just a friendly request. :) We love you, NT2C! The new site is awesome. I love the new sites opening page. That arm is awesome! Lol
That arm cost me $29.99 in license fees! :lol:

The problem with INCH bags as a forum section is what category they should go in. The bag and contents are both gear and preps but do we really want duplicate areas? No, because that splits good information about the same subject. Best I can offer then is to put it in one and move it to another, leaving behind a link.

www.ufozs.com

See you there!

moab

Post by moab » Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:36 pm

NT2C wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:40 pm
moab wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:33 pm
NT2C wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

That arm cost me $29.99 in license fees! :lol:

The problem with INCH bags as a forum section is what category they should go in. The bag and contents are both gear and preps but do we really want duplicate areas? No, because that splits good information about the same subject. Best I can offer then is to put it in one and move it to another, leaving behind a link.
Oh. I wasnt suggesting you make new areas. I was just suggesting that the description say bag, cases "and their contents". Instead of just bags and cases.

But man. Ignore me. The site is amazing.

www.ufozs.com

See everyone there!

Ever

Post by Ever » Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:31 am

NT2C wrote:
I believe Kyle's plan after locking the doors is to make it all read-only and as a guest you'd have access to all the public areas.
Kyle, if you read this, I'd sure be grateful for a read-only verson left for us to keep studying. And for those to come who might stumble onto this world of wealth in every aspect of everyday prepping. It certainly stood me well in my own learning. And my thanks to you for the years of ZS you gave me/us.

Ever, previously known here as 'zombiepreparation'
Member since October 2011

Thank you ZombieSquad for everything!

Thank you Members of ZS here & around the globe who helped me/us prepare for surviving the Pandemic of 2020-2021, & stayed to talk as we went thru it.

zombie hunters are being sighted gathering around campfires at ufozs.com

Vicarious_Lee
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:10 pm

Ever wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:31 am
NT2C wrote:
I believe Kyle's plan after locking the doors is to make it all read-only and as a guest you'd have access to all the public areas.
Kyle, if you read this, I'd sure be grateful for a read-only verson left for us to keep studying. And for those to come who might stumble onto this world of wealth in every aspect of everyday prepping. It certainly stood me well in my own learning. And my thanks to you for the years of ZS you gave me/us.

I've been skimming this thread and I don't really have a "why" yet as to the decision to shut this down. I know nothing about computers or internet or domains, but I have to think that something like a message board, even one that's 15 years old, that only has text and images on it cannot take up much hard drive space, right?

Cobb Tuning did this to their message boards all of a sudden. 10 years of research, testing, modification, experience with our car's platform by enthusiasts, not to mention the memories and friends, just vanished.
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:28 pm

Vicarious_Lee wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:10 pm
Cobb Tuning did this to their message boards all of a sudden. 10 years of research, testing, modification, experience with our car's platform by enthusiasts, not to mention the memories and friends, just vanished.
Yeah, I miss the Cobb forums as well, there was a lot of great toubleshooting info there. It seemed pretty active and pretty useful as a way to avoid problem calls, I'm not sure why the company decided to take that one down.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

boskone

Post by boskone » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:46 pm

Vicarious_Lee wrote:
Ever wrote:
NT2C wrote:

I've been skimming this thread and I don't really have a "why" yet as to the decision to shut this down. I know nothing about computers or internet or domains, but I have to think that something like a message board, even one that's 15 years old, that only has text and images on it cannot take up much hard drive space, right?

We haven't, yet at least, received an official reason. Given the, er, haphazard nature of ZS' maintenance of the webserver, I think there's just a general disinterest from the PTBs in any self-hosted web presence.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:13 pm

boskone wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:46 pm
Vicarious_Lee wrote:
Ever wrote:
NT2C wrote:

We haven't, yet at least, received an official reason. Given the, er, haphazard nature of ZS' maintenance of the webserver, I think there's just a general disinterest from the PTBs in any self-hosted web presence.
The official reason given to me by Kyle was that the BoD wanted to have everyone use Discord instead and this would be a data repository.

As far as storage space and computing power this place takes, I could run it on my desktop PC and a small thumb drive. I say that from years of experience with this exact format of forum, same software, but mine stored tons of attachments, which this site doesn't. When I gave the site to someone else to run several years ago it was under a gigabyte compressed.

www.ufozs.com

See you there!

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:33 am

Vicarious_Lee wrote:
Ever wrote:
NT2C wrote:

At least this time all the friends have a new place to keep hanging out.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
https://ufozs.com
You'll find us here.

Return to “Ask ZS”