"stay home" - why is this such a problem?

If you have a question for members of the Zombie Squad bring it over here.

If this is a question specifically for an official authorized representative of Zombie Squad, Inc. your best bet will be to e-mail service@zombiehunters.org

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

tom q vaxy

"stay home" - why is this such a problem?

Post by tom q vaxy » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:48 pm

i'm single, no kids, retired, rent a studio apartment (20 years & counting), live on peanut butter sandwiches, coffee, & fruit, and have more interests than I can keep up with.

I don't understand how in the world people can complain about being bored. folks work all week, some two jobs, and weekends, too, so they can have, have, have. and when they're expected to chill out and sit tight for a few days, their world explodes because they have nothing to do.

don't people read anymore? want to have a bit of time to catch up on their hobbies? play with their dog, or kids?

I guess I really am getting old . . . . but at least i'm not bored! besides, bicycling season starts in a couple of weeks - YEAH!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsUifZQcyDo

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Re: "stay home" - why is this such a problem?

Post by majorhavoc » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:02 pm

tom q vaxy wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:48 pm
i'm single, no kids, retired, rent a studio apartment (20 years & counting), live on peanut butter sandwiches, coffee, & fruit, and have more interests than I can keep up with.

I don't understand how in the world people can complain about being bored. folks work all week, some two jobs, and weekends, too, so they can have, have, have. and when they're expected to chill out and sit tight for a few days, their world explodes because they have nothing to do.

don't people read anymore? want to have a bit of time to catch up on their hobbies? play with their dog, or kids?

I guess I really am getting old . . . . but at least i'm not bored! besides, bicycling season starts in a couple of weeks - YEAH!!!

Tens of thousands of people are out of jobs, pal. They're looking at rent/mortgage about to come due, food to put on the table, utilities to pay, a family to support. Maybe they're anxious about an aging parent or grandparent in an assisted living facility, or a relative with a respiratory problem. Maybe they're part of the gig economy with no community-minded employer offering paid leave. Maybe they're near retirement and see their 401(k) tanking. Others simply miss their coworkers, friends and neighbors. Or find fulfillment in their work. And we haven't even gotten to the people who are actually sick from this virus or know someone who is.

A global pandemic and a recession bound economy is not some sort of serendipitous stay-cation, an unexpected, extended snow day. Folks aren't bored; they're hurting out there; anxious, out of work, worried about how they're going to make ends meet.

That's just dandy that you're single, retired with no family responsibilities or apparently any financial concerns. And bully for you that the riding season is just around the corner ("YEAH!!!") It's not that simple for millions of others with actual responsibilities who are caught up in this shitstorm.

And FYI: this is most certainly not just for a "few days".

Boom Shaka Laka? Try to show as little sensitivity.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:30 pm

tom q vaxy wrote:

Have you ever read the Constitution of the United States of America, including the Amendments? How about that first one, the one that says we have the right to peaceably assemble? I don't recall the Constitution or Bill of Rights being suspended. Maybe they did it while I was asleep, but if they did better ask yourself what other rights they plan to take away next.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:45 pm

Maybe they did it while I was asleep, but if they did better ask yourself what other rights they plan to take away next.
The plan is to go the other way. If everything is closed there is nowhere to go and nothing to do. Enjoy your freedoms all you want, there just won't be anything to do with them.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

tom q vaxy

Post by tom q vaxy » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:38 am

points taken

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:29 am

Tom let me point out something.

We are all happy you are fine and not stressed by this.

In fact that is great!

However the people who live near you may not be coping well. If that is the case, their "angst" may show up on your door step in one form or another.

Please do take care and be aware of current situation in your area.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:50 am

Is this like the video gammer who locks himself in his room for 8 days straight . And when he finally comes out is asked how he is coping with the virus quarantine replies What virus quarantine ?
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:20 am

flybynight wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:50 am
Is this like the video gammer who locks himself in his room for 8 days straight . And when he finally comes out is asked how he is coping with the virus quarantine replies What virus quarantine ?
As long as i have internet, then me and some friends will be wearing out our PS4's if the 'stay at home' order is given.

plus I'm ordering a few parts i need for the cars, repairs and maintenance that are not dire but its time for front break pads, i already have the stuff for a full rear break job, and i have a leak in my valve cover gasket that I've been putting off for months 'cause i can always find something better to do than fix that. Reminds me its time for an oil change in that one too.

The gutters and fascia over the deck need replacing.
The side garage door replacement
the garage door opener.
Pressure wash the driveway and deck.
Trim the avocado tree for hurricane season.
Spring cleaning.
I have three books lined up to read. [The Stand is not one of them :mrgreen: ]

Then gaming. :clap: my precious.

My main challenge will be income, I don't get a retirement check. I'm still in my earning phase. And apparently I'm NOT in a NON-ESSENTIAL business and there isn't a 'stay at home' order here right now. But many of our customers' customers are non essential. I expect a drop off.

But I've been getting ahead the last 3 years by some fluke in the laws of nature or something, I definitely don't want to back up to the starting line again and start over.
tom q vaxy wrote:

. . . . besides, bicycling season starts in a couple of weeks - YEAH!!!

Stay at home means no biking I think, so there's that. But I haven't read the individual state mandates for that edict. Maybe there's a 'biking excluded' clause.

If a tree bikes in the middle of the woods, does it break the 'stay at home' mandate?
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

tom q vaxy

Post by tom q vaxy » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:46 am

I think it will be considered exercising alone, but the season for me goes until mid October so hopefully i'll be able to get a few rides in.

edit: whilst not wanting to break the overshadowing gloom, other forums which I belong are actually trying to focus on the positive and have suggested using found time to perform some of the activities I mentioned in the first post.

fools, they all. i'm putting on my hair shirt now. and where did I leave that boulder?

Return to “Ask ZS”