Massive power outage in San Diego

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Blackhawk_tactical
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombie Land
Night of the living dead
Resident Evil
TV: The Walking Dead
28 Days Later
Dawn of the Dead (Remake, 2004)

Re: Massive power outage in San Diego

Post by Blackhawk_tactical » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:00 am

It was a planned outage. By Al quada, And Mexican drug lords to move product and people across the broader with out fail. See the real picture. Not the one the government wants you to see
http://astore.amazon.com/franclancom-20
http://dontdienow.com
[url]http://www.youtube.com/user/Hardwarepatriots/v

Big and Daft

Post by Big and Daft » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:36 am

Blackhawk_tactical wrote:It was a planned outage. By Al quada, And Mexican drug lords to move product and people across the broader with out fail. See the real picture. Not the one the government wants you to see
FTFY.

Pilsung
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, 28 days later, Shaun of the Dead

Post by Pilsung » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:38 am

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2011/09/ ... -blackout/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SANTA ANA (CBS) — A San Juan Capistrano man is behind bars Friday after allegedly assaulting his neighbor with a flashlight over a noisy generator during a blackout that left thousands of local homes without power.

Peter Quill, 45, is accused of hitting his neighbor, Anthony Morales, over the head with a flashlight after complaining about the loud hum of a generator he was using during the widespread power outage, authorities said.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:43 am

Necrodamus wrote: We have also discussed "smart meters" which are vulnerable to cyber attack. What about simple stuff like terrorist driving trucks into substations? If one worker who is trained, makes a simple mistake can cause this kind of outage then what would 4 coordinated attacks on a few substations do?
All you need is an accurate rifle of medium caliber to shoot the ceramic insulators that are on top of all the electrical equipment in a substation. Or several 10 foot lengths of metal chain to throw over the fence and across all the wires and jumpers.

Hell, somebody with a decent chainsaw could cause major disruptions by cutting down trees onto the transmission lines.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Utah_ZHunter
Favorite Zombie Movies: YES!

Post by Utah_ZHunter » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:47 am

Have you ever stoped to think, that you may be giving some small minded people ideas?
If at first you don't succeed, double-tap. Zombie Squad Fast Response Vehicle #0317
Lead, follow, or get out of the way. I don't care, just don't be on the cellphone when your doing it.
Why Yes, I am a Super-Trucker
Dexion1619 wrote:Oh god, I just realized I'm Fry from futurama! **Face-Palm**

We'reWolf

Post by We'reWolf » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:48 am

GisforGangsta wrote:Checking in from Ramona (rural community northeast of San diego) no real confusion, except at the stores. Bugging in and having a BBQ tonight. Nice night for star gazing. Be safe all.
Yo i am from Ramona too!
What year you graduate? i am 07
The ringing in your ears is the sound of your own destruction.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:11 am

Utah_ZHunter wrote:Have you ever stoped to think, that you may be giving some small minded people ideas?
Not really, I personally caught a couple of yahoos with some lengths of chain about to do something stupid "just for shits-&-giggles" while patrolling substations the night of Y2K.

Up around the REALLY rural areas of our service territory we have to change out "shot-up" transformers and regulators quite frequently during hunting season.

And a couple years ago, we had a guy cut down a half-dozen pine trees onto a powerline that fed a trailer park because "his old-lady had kicked him out" and he didn't want her enjoying the air conditioning that he was paying the power bill for.

So if the "rednecks" can figure it out, I'm sure others with more devious intentions can also. :wink:

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:30 am

Big and Daft wrote:
Blackhawk_tactical wrote:It was a planned outage. By Al quada, And Mexican drug lords to move product and people across the broader with out fail. See the real picture. Not the one the government wants you to see
FTFY.

The chat and bullshit threads are over in Off Topic.
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

grand94jeep
Favorite Zombie Movies: All Zombie movies. Even the bad ones

Post by grand94jeep » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:21 pm

Truth is, our whole infrastructure is weak. Water, power, gas, you name it; it's all vulnerable to attack, or in this case accidents.

Security is an illusion. It is intangible. You cannot hold or grasp it. It is an idea, a thought that is created in the mind

Very interesting read.

http://www.advancingman.com/articles/he ... n-security
,=====o00o _
//___l__,\____\,__
l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
(o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
~Ronald Reagan~

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:50 pm

We'reWolf wrote:
GisforGangsta wrote:Checking in from Ramona (rural community northeast of San diego) no real confusion, except at the stores. Bugging in and having a BBQ tonight. Nice night for star gazing. Be safe all.
Yo i am from Ramona too!
Hey, I lived in Ramona for a year! Woulda been...1994, pretty much the whole calendar year. Spring 94 I was in my last year of Junior High, at Olive Pierce Peirce Middle School (seriously, that's how they wrote it!). Fall 94 I was a freshman at Ramona High School. I lived over by that exotic bird farm on the east side of town.

Now I just pass through it on my way from San Diego to Anza-Borrego.

That would have been a nice place to sit back and stargaze with the power out.

doitnstyle1
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road, The Book of Eli, After the Dark

Post by doitnstyle1 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:47 am

grand94jeep wrote:Truth is, our whole infrastructure is weak. Water, power, gas, you name it; it's all vulnerable to attack, or in this case accidents.

Security is an illusion. It is intangible. You cannot hold or grasp it. It is an idea, a thought that is created in the mind

Very interesting read.

There is a lot of fluffiness in that article. It is a good read, don't get me wrong, but for all intents and purposes that article negates the purpose of these boards. Leaving us to fear nothing means we leave ourselves open to attack by those who would do us harm. There are plenty of people out there that are willing to do us harm. We can allow ourselves to be slaughtered like sheep or we can stand up with what we have prepared and feel comfortable that we have prepared ourselves for some of the worse.
If you fear nothing, maybe you should not save for a rainy day. Or try to buy a new car because your old one has about had it.

Not trying to bust you out, just i don't think that the article is completely founded in reality. It has some very real issues to consider but not very impressive to me.
"All religious stuff aside, the fact is people who can't kill will always be subject to those who can." - Brad "Iceman" Colbert, Generation Kill

Pilsung
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, 28 days later, Shaun of the Dead

Post by Pilsung » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:05 am

The San Diego blackout offers important lessons. Let's not use this thread as a springboard for topics that, while interesting and somewhat relevant, stray from the topic at hand.

grand94jeep
Favorite Zombie Movies: All Zombie movies. Even the bad ones

Post by grand94jeep » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:21 pm

doitnstyle1 wrote:
grand94jeep wrote:Truth is, our whole infrastructure is weak. Water, power, gas, you name it; it's all vulnerable to attack, or in this case accidents.

Very interesting read.

There is a lot of fluffiness in that article. It is a good read, don't get me wrong, but for all intents and purposes that article negates the purpose of these boards. Leaving us to fear nothing means we leave ourselves open to attack by those who would do us harm. There are plenty of people out there that are willing to do us harm. We can allow ourselves to be slaughtered like sheep or we can stand up with what we have prepared and feel comfortable that we have prepared ourselves for some of the worse.
If you fear nothing, maybe you should not save for a rainy day. Or try to buy a new car because your old one has about had it.

Not trying to bust you out, just i don't think that the article is completely founded in reality. It has some very real issues to consider but not very impressive to me.

I actually agree with you. But it is still an interesting perspective into the psychology of needing security. :D

The most interesting part of the article, to me, was this part.
Security Can Be Used Against You

There is a lot of money to be made by using your fears against you. Security is a tremendous selling point. When you are afraid, there are many things you would be willing to do to alleviate that fear, including paying an arm and leg for it.

Marketers, of course are privy to this, and use it to their advantage. They are masters of manipulating your fears. If you are not careful, you can give away all your energies toward buying and maintaining things that are merely illusions.

I've been noticing a trend of supposed "preparedness" kits (ex. JIC kits, food kits, pre-made BOBs) and the such being marketed to non-prepper types in the last few years. I have a friend that thinks a few cans of spam and a few gallons of water is being prepared. While he's better than other "non-preppers", he's still a long ways from being prepared for an event lasting more than a day or two. Whenever he sees one of these kits advertised, he always calls me and asks my opinion. My answer, 99% of the time, is to leave it alone and try to put the same kit together, with better quality and quantity of components. Many people here in the US are being led into a false sense of security, all for the sake of making a buck. Marketers are preying on this "need" for security.

IDK, maybe this was the wrong thread for this, but I still thought it was interesting.
,=====o00o _
//___l__,\____\,__
l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
(o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
~Ronald Reagan~

Necrodamus

Post by Necrodamus » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:41 pm

There is a great deal of money riding on "security" products, but its amazing what liberties are being "sold" in exchange for safety.

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:45 pm

Necrodamus wrote:There is a great deal of money riding on "security" products, but its amazing what liberties are being "sold" in exchange for safety.
Most of what is sold as security products are smoke and mirrors, but to discuss that would be derailing the derailing of the derailed thread.
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

Phoenix David
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am legend, Omega man

Post by Phoenix David » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:43 pm

Amtrak has a better safety rating than this thread. :lol:
Nobody ever wishes they brought a smaller gun to a gun fight

bgnad
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by bgnad » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:59 pm

Pilsung wrote:http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2011/09/ ... -blackout/

SANTA ANA (CBS) — A San Juan Capistrano man is behind bars Friday after allegedly assaulting his neighbor with a flashlight over a noisy generator during a blackout that left thousands of local homes without power.

Peter Quill, 45, is accused of hitting his neighbor, Anthony Morales, over the head with a flashlight after complaining about the loud hum of a generator he was using during the widespread power outage, authorities said.
Makes you want to get a better muffler for yours, don't it?
====================================================================================
Brian "Bubba" Gnad
Zombie Squad Fleet Vehicle ZS-069

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to prosper." -Benjamin Franklin

John Ringo's "Black Tide Rising" series is now my favorite Zombie PAW Universe.

bgnad
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by bgnad » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:08 am

Remember that fear can be a good thing, it tells us not to jump off of that cliff. It tells us to be careful in that dark ally, maybe not go down it at all.
And it tells us to be ready for all of that impossible, unlikely bad stuff that rational people just know will never happen.

I try not to let fear rule me, but I do keep it close by. That adrenalin rush can be a life saver in the right circumstances. 8-)

And during the last big ice storm here, we had people tracking generators by sound and stealing them.

I've got to get a better muffler for mine :wink:
====================================================================================
Brian "Bubba" Gnad
Zombie Squad Fleet Vehicle ZS-069

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to prosper." -Benjamin Franklin

John Ringo's "Black Tide Rising" series is now my favorite Zombie PAW Universe.

Squidi

Post by Squidi » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:24 am

phil_in_cs wrote:
Necrodamus wrote:There is a great deal of money riding on "security" products, but its amazing what liberties are being "sold" in exchange for safety.
Most of what is sold as security products are smoke and mirrors, but to discuss that would be derailing the derailing of the derailed thread.
I am interested in your security grade smoke and tactical mirrors.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:47 am

bgnad wrote:I've got to get a better muffler for mine :wink:
How about one of those Kolpin ATV Stealth exhausts that clamp on to an existing muffler?

I've used a couple of them on my hunting ATVs. They definitely reduce the exhaust noise by atleast 50% and I've never noticed any power reduction in either of the 4x4s that I mounted them on.

Just a thought. :wink:

GisforGangsta
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later (Weeks as Well), Romero's films, The Crazies, Dead Snow.

Post by GisforGangsta » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:42 am

We'reWolf wrote:
Yo i am from Ramona too!
I live in ramona but I'm not from here.
Ham Lic. K1LLN, EMT-B, Appleseed Instructor.
" She was a Noob, couldn't have been dead for more than a year or so. Her dirty blonde hair hung in patches from her tight leathery skin, her swollen belly puffed through a faded black T-shirt that read G is for Gangsta. I centered my sight right between her shrunken milky blue eyes." Todd Wainio

GisforGangsta
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later (Weeks as Well), Romero's films, The Crazies, Dead Snow.

Post by GisforGangsta » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:45 am

Jeriah wrote:
We'reWolf wrote:
Yo i am from Ramona too!
Hey, I lived in Ramona for a year! Woulda been...1994, pretty much the whole calendar year. Spring 94 I was in my last year of Junior High, at Olive Pierce Peirce Middle School (seriously, that's how they wrote it!). Fall 94 I was a freshman at Ramona High School. I lived over by that exotic bird farm on the east side of town.

Now I just pass through it on my way from San Diego to Anza-Borrego.

That would have been a nice place to sit back and stargaze with the power out.
OPMS is still the only middle school in ramona, my kids went there. I live on a hill, it was a beautiful view.
Ham Lic. K1LLN, EMT-B, Appleseed Instructor.
" She was a Noob, couldn't have been dead for more than a year or so. Her dirty blonde hair hung in patches from her tight leathery skin, her swollen belly puffed through a faded black T-shirt that read G is for Gangsta. I centered my sight right between her shrunken milky blue eyes." Todd Wainio

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”