Explosion in Oslo

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Tor@Norway

Re: Explosion in Oslo

Post by Tor@Norway » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:29 pm

Some short comments.

The death tolls from the explosion may still rise as the the dead bodies are still left in the affected building(s).

It seems like a single bomb was used in the attack, but several buildings other than the main target were affected as the bomb was placed on a small square surrounded by buildings housing the oil ministry, a mall, the two biggest newspapers in Norway, and others.

I talked to a friend on the phone earlier and he told me of a facebook posting from one of his contacts staying at a campsite on the mainland overlooking the island that there were kids swimming ashore from the island.
Scared shitless obv.

This must be the worst phone call ever:

"Saiq Barzingi har tre barn på 16, 19, og 21 år som er med i Skedsmo AUF og er på øya nå.

- De ringte meg tidligere og jeg kunne ikke høre hva de sa. Så hørte jeg seks skudd og så ble alt stille, sier han til VG Nett."

Rough translation:

Saiq Barzingi's three kids aged 16, 19 and 21 is on the island.
He received a phone call from them but could not hear what they said. Then he heard 6 gunshots and thereafter all went quiet.

Posting from a phone
Guns don't kill people. Anders Behring Breivik kills people.

sturmotter

Post by sturmotter » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:34 pm

ei8htx wrote:A shadowy terrorist group called Assistants of the Global Jihad claimed responsibility for the bombing of the Norwegian Prime Minister's office and a massacre at a children's day camp via the Internet.
At this stage I'd treat that with some suspicion, as there have been cases where some group or the other has claimed responsibility for the actions of another.

ei8htx
BANNED

Post by ei8htx » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:35 pm

sturmotter wrote:
ei8htx wrote:A shadowy terrorist group called Assistants of the Global Jihad claimed responsibility for the bombing of the Norwegian Prime Minister's office and a massacre at a children's day camp via the Internet.
At this stage I'd treat that with some suspicion, as there have been cases where some group or the other has claimed responsibility for the actions of another.
Apparently it's false.

http://twitter.com/#!/will_mccants" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Makarov
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead
The Walking Dead

Post by Makarov » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:44 pm

At least 10 killed confirmed at the youth camp. The killer was dressed as a police officer(using a sweater marked "police") , but the police says that he's not a police officer, and have never been one. He's confirmed to carry both a pistol and a rifle. The island is quite small, so this is a similar scenario to the school and mall-shootings in other countries.

Not good.
Thomas

Der skal Kugle til en Thrønder

RIP hk33k

Tor@Norway

Post by Tor@Norway » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:54 pm

Shooting at youth camp after bomb attack in Norway
(VG Nett) At least ten people are killed after shooting at a youth camp only hours after a massive bomb blast in central Oslo.
Av Dyveke Nilssen
Reports of shooting at Utøya, an island outside of Oslo, came around 18.25 PM Friday night.

Utøya is currently home to a youth camp for almost 700 young members of the Labour Party.

According to a witness the gunman was dressed as a police officer when he started shooting.

Police now confirms that at least 10 people are killed in the shootings at the island. An eyewitness tells VG Nett that more than 20 to 30 people are dead. One man has been arrested after the shooting.

The police see a connection between this attack and the bomb that exploded nearby, or inside, a government building in Oslo at 3.30 PM Friday afternoon.

The explosion killed at least seven people and two people are seriously injured, confirms police.

Several buildings around was also affected by the blast. The bomb exploded close to Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg's office. He was not at his office and has not been injured.

Several blocks around the bomb has been evacuated and people are asked to stay away from the city centre.
VG Nett will return with more updates for our international readers.
vg.no

ei8htx
BANNED

Post by ei8htx » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:57 pm

New York Times is now also carrying the incorrect story that the "Helpers of Jihad" are behind the attacks. This has been proven false by the Helper of Jihad's own leadership.

It is still unknown who is responsible.

Makarov
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
The Walking Dead

Post by Makarov » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:14 pm

News in English from the Norwegian newspaper VG:
At least ten people are killed in shooting at a youth camp only hours after a massive bomb blast in central Oslo.

Reports of shooting at Utøya, an island outside of Oslo, came around 18.25 PM Friday night.

Utøya is currently home to a youth camp for almost 700 young members of the Labour Party.

Police now confirms that at least ten people are killed in the shootings at the island. An eyewitness tells VG Nett that more than 20 to 30 people are dead.

According to a witness the gunman was dressed as a police officer. One man has been arrested after the shooting.

The police see a connection between this attack and the bomb that exploded nearby, or inside, a government building in Oslo at 3.30 PM Friday afternoon.

The explosion killed at least seven people and two people are seriously injured, confirms police.
Also; A Swedish expert suggest that this might be domestic terrorism, stating that this might be a "madman".

There'll be a press conference in 15 minutes.
Thomas

RIP hk33k

razi

Post by razi » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:15 pm

google translation about the youth camp attack:

http://translate.google.com/translate?j ... F1.7723132" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Witnesses who have managed to escape from the island, says to NRK reporters on the spot that the perpetrator had a Norwegian look. He should be between 185 to 190 cm tall and have blond hair.
mysterious package found by a train near the Oslo Airport causes shutdowns:

http://translate.google.com/translate?j ... ml&act=url" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

razi

Post by razi » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:20 pm

Al-Jazeera is doing live coverage:

http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CNN coverage:

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/07/22/bl ... ?hpt=hp_t1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Reddit coverage:

http://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comme ... town_oslo/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Makarov
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
The Walking Dead

Post by Makarov » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:31 pm

Hmm, several sources are pointing to this being domestic. Norwegian newspaper Aftenposten states that the false policeman is connected to both the bombing and the shooting at Utøya. The police know the identity of the gunman, and know of this persons "connections".

EDIT: There's a press conference with the Prime Minister and the Minister of Justice and the Police right now. They confirm that the gunman on Utøya was a Norwegian.(IE a Caucasian Norwegian).
Thomas

RIP hk33k

Biggin

Explosion in Oslo

Post by Biggin » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:56 pm

I have a lot of friends in Norway. :(

Tor@Norway

Post by Tor@Norway » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:58 pm

Undetonated explosives found at Utøya.

A 32 year old ethnic norwegian male suspect is being interrogated by the police.

Edit: redundant redundancy.

Makarov
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
The Walking Dead

Post by Makarov » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:01 pm

The gunman is a 32 year old Norwegian Caucasian male. The police states that there's a connection between the bombing of the Prime Ministers office/Ministry of Justice and the shootings at the youth camp for members of the Labor Party. 7+ killed in the bombing, 10+ killed in the shooting. The numbers will rise as they find more :(

An 'Expert' now mentions some scenarios:
- A madman acting out(think typical school/mall shootings)
- A Right wing extremists(The Turner diaries are mentioned)
- Afghanistan veteran going bonkers
- A white Norwegian turned Jihadist

They're unsure if the gunman was acting alone, or with others, and they've closed the borders out of Norway.

My gut tells me that this is a domestic, and I really really really hope that this was not a veteran and or legal gunowner going bonkers.

Anyways this is a bad day in Norwegian history, and my thoughts go out to all of them who lost someone, or who has anyone close injured.

I have to go to bed now, cause I've got work tomorrow, but I think sleep'll be hard to come by.
Thomas

RIP hk33k

shrapnel
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Location: Aboard Baron von Counterculture's groovy purple dirigible, glaring down through a monocle.

Post by shrapnel » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:20 pm

Well, best of luck to you folks, and I do hope that whoever is responsible is quickly caught and held accountable for their actions.
OTTB wrote:"What's that you're wearing?"
"This? Oh, just my rabies hat."
shrapnel wrote:Darling, I would never fondle your sphenoid.
Dr. Cox wrote: People aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings.
JamesCannon wrote:Shrapnel, if you were a superhero, you'd be Captain Buzzkill Peener Pain.

SiXiam

Post by SiXiam » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:29 pm

What is it with the attacking of children?
Just like in Afghanistan (or Iraq) how they put bombs on little kids.
They can't believe God would support that. Furthermore obviously people are going to despise you for doing it. Its barbarians like that that led the Iraqi people to finally take a stand against all the crazies!

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:54 pm

SiXiam wrote:What is it with the attacking of children?
Just like in Afghanistan (or Iraq) how they put bombs on little kids.
They can't believe God would support that. Furthermore obviously people are going to despise you for doing it. Its barbarians like that that led the Iraqi people to finally take a stand against all the crazies!
I have heard Minutemen say that if it was lawful, they would shoot the infant children of illegal immigrants. Once you've decided that the people on the other side don't count as human, you can rationalize all sorts of fuckstick cockbaggery.

SiXiam

Post by SiXiam » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:12 pm

Jeriah wrote:I have heard Minutemen say that if it was lawful, they would shoot the infant children of illegal immigrants. Once you've decided that the people on the other side don't count as human, you can rationalize all sorts of fuckstick cockbaggery.
I couldn't be in an organization that had members that thought that way. I guess as soon as those people find other like minded folk, then all of us are in trouble!

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Post by dogbane » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:16 pm

Let's keep on topic and keep the speculation supported by facts.
Mostly not here anymore.

A.C.E.
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Resident Evil

Post by A.C.E. » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:20 pm

According to Norweigan media Utöya has been secured by the police. Still only one suspect is known. According to some reports, explosives were found on the island.

Some rather dramatic photage and filming have been released from the island where youths swam for the mainland and safety, at least 50 are believed to have made the swim and gotten to shore. At 22.15 local time (about 2.5h ago) 12 severly wounded had been admitted to the local hospital. At the same time 10 were confirmed killed.

Apparently messages on twitter and FB as well as SMS messages played a great role in organizing a rescue operation to pick up survivors fleeing in the water. Local boatowners and other civilians resqued an unknown number of people, many with gun shot wounds. More than 20 boats are believed to have helped in the efforts.

I believe there is something for us to learn here, in every new disaster, social networks play a larger and larger role. Children in school shooting twitter about the events, families find each other via FB and IRC (as seen in the Japan Quake), perpetrators of violent crime get caught because some brave member of society had the guts to take pictures with their phone. All this technology that we surround ourselves with can be put to great use in a disaster. I believe many of us overlook or underestimate the importance and potential of these tools.
My FAK
Cold Weather
Propane Forge
ZS #0091

I'm Swedish, there is no known cure.
sealegs wrote:I make it my business to never be caught w. my pants down, and IF I am, then the size of my junk and the fortitude of my stones will give me the initiative by sheer intimidation alone. :lol:

SuperShot
Favorite Zombie Movies: The resident evil movies

Post by SuperShot » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:03 pm

As of now, 17 confirmed killed and unknown number of wounded victims.

Our King has held a statement as well as our prime minister and our minister of justice, but nothing is for sure about why this lunatic did this.
He is in custody now and is probably given the 3rd degree of why he did this.

The authorities confirm, 7 killed in Oslo and 84 youths killed at the Utøya camp.
They are investigating to find out if he was alone in this or if he had some kind of help.

He had bought 6 tonnes of fertiliser under a cover of farming vegetables, to make the bomb in Oslo.
A similar bomb to the one that was used in Oklahoma.

He will be locked away for the rest of his life.
Last edited by SuperShot on Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
G.I. 8-)
I love my life and the contents of my guncabinet.
I believe in doing all I can to maintain that situation.
I also believe in helping my friends and neighbours.

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Post by dogbane » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:27 pm

You all have my deepest sympathy. I'm so sorry your country is going through this.
Mostly not here anymore.

Mad_Maxx

Post by Mad_Maxx » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:12 pm

The fucktard`s picture and name has been released:

http://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks/arti ... d=10080610" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He calls himself nationalist, and apparently did this because he doesnt like the government`s stance towards islam....?

So... He hates islam, but basically uses the same methods as the islamic extremists are known for? What a damn brainless monkey, would have been better off as a wet stain on his fathers sheets.

I feel like a fool for immediatly assuming it was some kind of islamic terrorism act, but i know someone who must feel even more stupid. The extremist groups claiming credit for the fuckin` stupid thing

I would have liked it to be an extremist group though, since that would have made it more a case of "them" against "us". Instead, its some asswipe retard who lived with his mom and played World of Warcraft a lot. Could be in any place in this country :?
Umbrella Corporation - International Biological Solutions
Vampire wrote:Norway is great. Just sit on a deserted mountaintop, and if a zombie happens to stumble upon you trow rocks at him until he rolls all the way down. :)

SiXiam

Post by SiXiam » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:37 pm

Google translate for the last link:
http://translate.google.com/translate?j ... 3D10080610

driftking777
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD (2004), RE 1 -3.

Post by driftking777 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:02 pm

bah, link relinked to the above...

80 confirmed dead now?

http://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks/oslo ... d=10080616" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lucas_061287 wrote:I know this much- 1/2" recoil pad on a .375H&H is about as useful as putting inflatable floaties on a Ford Crown Vic loaded with bags of sand that you intend on driving into a lake.

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”