It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:35 pm 

Unless its in the zombie biology category in the forums, most references to zombies on the ZS forums (including this thread) are symbolic, where zombies = natural disasters (earthquakes, tsunamis, etc).

This thread is talking about what you can do/ways to get involved in the event of a disaster.

"So they've got us surrounded, good! Now we can fire in any direction, those b*****ds won't get away this time!" ~Chesty Puller, USMC

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:41 pm 
BANNED

BadIntel wrote:
Unless its in the zombie biology category in the forums, most references to zombies on the ZS forums (including this thread) are symbolic, where zombies = natural disasters (earthquakes, tsunamis, etc).

This thread is talking about what you can do/ways to get involved in the event of a disaster.

I would help as long as it doesn't put my family at further risk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:31 pm 

As a Medical reserve corps volunteer that has been deployed i can tell you this.
We need all the help we can get! If you are good natured they will find a job for you. There is always paperwork,setup,cleanup,babysitting(both kids and adults)... or just being a friend in a time of need. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:14 pm 

NoAm wrote:
I know how frustrating it can be to want to assist in an emergency and not be allowed!
Ultimately, most volunteers are turned away because emergency and local medical managers with limited resources, focused on emergency response, and accounting for their own personnel were unequipped to handle spontaneous volunteers.

This is why I got involved with our local Medical Relief Corps. I do NOT have a medical background, however they also have positions for non-medical volunteers.
Here is a listing of what the MRC is and how it came to be......................
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_Reserve_Corps

I talked with a bunch of people in my region, some are on this board here, some are not and as far as I could see nobody of them wants to help anybody else.
Most people get prepared to shoot there way out to there BOL.

Here in Lubbock, we offered them the CERT training, some advanced First Aid training, if they would take the CERT training, and even a training in what to do in terrorist bombing, cases.

One problem was that a lot of people want to "fly under the radar", if FEMA pays for a training as the last one, they want to know who went there.
Right now the county is reapplying for FEMA grands in this area, if people would be interested in CERT and other training, we could get get funding for this, but I actually gave up trying to offer this to anybody in the preparedness community as the "under the radar" doesn't show that they would like to help others in a disaster.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:15 pm 

Zultra wrote:
BadIntel wrote:

I would help as long as it doesn't put my family at further risk

At CERT the first thing you learn is that you take care of your family first and than after you secured them, you will go out and help others.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:32 am 
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer

Seeing a fb post from a friend reminded of also checking with your local Sheriff's Dept to see if they have CERT classes/teams in your area.
Here is a link to check:
http://www.fema.gov/community-emergency-response-teams

I took the course about a year and half ago and am looking to take the 'train the trainer' course to help teach, in our area.
I continue to work and train with my local MRC/SMAT (links on the 1st page of the thread).

'Be Prepared' not only for yourself, but to also assist those in times of need. I finished a Mass Fatalities Incident Response last week and also a Red Cross Shelter Management Course a few months ago. These both fall under the scenario of "I hope I would never need this, but I have it if I do."

Even if you never use the applied knowledge, it's still knowledge you have gained and can share with others, if necessary.
NEVER STOP LEARNING! :wink:

ZS Chapter VolunteerHave questions about starting a chapter?●Want to find other ZS members in your area? Looking for other ZS members to start a chapter with? Check here first New Chapter Coordination Questions or email us at chapters@zombiehunters.org

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:32 pm 

This is a great thread ,
I know from experience that people with medical knowledge could be helpfull
Wshtf there is a great chaos and help forces can't be everywhere
But i need to say be always carefull and don't take to high risks
Regards Bjorn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:10 pm 

tagged. important info for me

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:38 am 

Zultra wrote:
BadIntel wrote:
Zultra wrote:
If the infection is spread through bites, why would you want to risk infection and/or him turning into a zombie, put him out of his misery, the most humane thing to do.

That's not really the topic of this thread...

When it comes down to zombie bites, what I said is realistic.

Was thinking the exact same thing