Sanctions on Russian Ammo?

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Sanctions on Russian Ammo?

Post by absinthe beginner » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:25 pm

Got an e-mail from an ammo vender I'd bought from in the past, claiming the following:
There is a substantial sanction package against Russia planned by the US government that is expected to happen near the end of November. The sanction package has 6 points and requires that at least 3 of the 6 be implemented, 1 of these 6 points has the would block almost all imports to the USA of goods made in Russia which is extremely likely to include ammo if it gets selected. It would be wise to stock back a little extra 5.45x39 ammo while supply is good and prices are low. We wanted to let you know in case you are interested in it.
Ammo venders probably aren't above using scare tactics to drum up business, but was wondering if anyone else knew anything about these alleged sanctions and their impact on the import or availability of Russian ammo.

Stercutus

Re: Sanctions on Russian Ammo?

Post by Stercutus » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:48 pm

It's the annual Russian ammo shortage scare. Buy it cheap and stack it deep. Buy it now! Also get your 100K rounds of 22lr before it disappears from the shelves.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/wor ... 944303002/
The sanctions will limit Russia's ability to purchase sensitive national security goods from the U.S., such as engines, circuits and other items.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:58 pm

There are also Romanian, Czech, Serbian?, Bulgarian, Ukrainian, and South African makers of foreign AK ammo. There might be Israeli makers too.

Then there are domestic makers.

But if the Russian imports stop, it will suck. It will not render your Ruski gun into a club. It will just be annoying. And a bit pricey.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:29 pm

Where have I heard this before?

Lather, rinse, repeat.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:42 pm

Ammo has not been this cheap and this plentiful in a while. If you have not done so you should consider making sure you have adequate supplies on hand
Ammo does not go stale for decades.

That said no I do not think sanctions against Russia are likely to include ammo for the reasonable and foreseeable future (2018). Obviously this is opinion not fact and YMMV.

BTW the term "adequate"is subjective.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:44 am

Just keep in mind when stocking up that defensive handgun ammo is the ammo you want to invest in the least. Most of it relies on a minimum velocity to perform properly and even a relatively small loss in velocity can cause problems.
Shall be my brother

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:04 am

Stercutus wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:44 am
Just keep in mind when stocking up that defensive handgun ammo is the ammo you want to invest in the least. Most of it relies on a minimum velocity to perform properly and even a relatively small loss in velocity can cause problems.
Can you expand more on this for someone like me still newer to the world of ammo/guns?

In that stocking 9mm isn't worth it or what?
Man is a beast of prey

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:23 am

I think he means that defensive JHP pistol ammo over time the powders might degradate to the point the hollow points do not expand rendering them as no better than FMJ terminal ballistics wise. Defensive JHP ammo is normally more expensive than FMJ so you are wasting money on a bullet that might end up being no better than the cheaper bullet. Not as much of a concern with rifle ammo as the velocities are so much higher. So your stash should be least amount defensive pistol ammo. Larger amount military style FMJ. Largest portion rifle . At least long term survival wise. But I could be wrong.... for once :crazy: . ( if so I'm sure to be corrected )
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:12 pm

flybynight wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:23 am
I think he means that defensive JHP pistol ammo over time the powders might degradate to the point the hollow points do not expand rendering them as no better than FMJ terminal ballistics wise. Defensive JHP ammo is normally more expensive than FMJ so you are wasting money on a bullet that might end up being no better than the cheaper bullet. Not as much of a concern with rifle ammo as the velocities are so much higher. So your stash should be least amount defensive pistol ammo. Larger amount military style FMJ. Largest portion rifle . At least long term survival wise. But I could be wrong.... for once :crazy: . ( if so I'm sure to be corrected )
To expand on this a bit (pun intended), take an ammo brand/type that I'm very familiar with, Federal HST 9mm. It's a wonderful defensive round that performs excellently in the FBI protocols, but it needs a minimum velocity of about 800fps to properly expand. The big, heavy 147gr offering of this exits a 5" test barrel at 1,000fps. By the time it hits 25 yards though it's down to 976. But what if you're shooting from a shorter barrel? Each inch you take from that test barrel length is going to reduce the muzzle velocity by about 125fps, so from a 4" barrel you're down to 850fps which is getting really close to that 800fps "magic number". Shoot from something like a Shield 9 with its 3.1" barrel and you're below that number at the muzzle.

But maybe you're not too worried because you shoot a full-sized Glock 19 with its 4.5" barrel, so you're only giving up about 75fps, so you're still 900fps or over out to 25yds. Powders deteriorate over time though, especially with less than ideal storage (a good reason for rotating out your carry ammo on a regular basis) and even a little bit of deterioration can rob you of that 100fps you're counting on. Now your expensive defensive ammo (that you may have paid 5x or more the price of same weight FMJ ammo) is now underpowered FMJ for all intents and purposes.

Since shot placement is the key to stopping a threat, even cheap "practice" FMJ can do the job if you do your job and get the hits. The added wound factor of expanding JHP ammo in a sense just makes the kill zones a bit bigger.

Myself, I'm getting to an age where I've got some hand tremors and my eyesight isn't what it used to be. Under stress, my shots will likely be "on target" but not critical hits so I like that added "lethality" a good JHP defensive round gives me. It may just save my life one day. But I rotate out my carry ammo regularly. Every time I go to shoot (which isn't as often as I'd like) I empty a carry mag or two, then fill them back up again with fresh ammo that's been stored correctly. I do stock up on the stuff when I can, especially when I can find good sales on it (under $20bx 50 is good), and I do shoot 124gr not 147gr for a nice boost in velocity of 150fps, but I also keep a good supply of cheap hardball ammo on hand too.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:19 pm

the_alias wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:04 am
Stercutus wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:44 am
Can you expand more on this for someone like me still newer to the world of ammo/guns?

In that stocking 9mm isn't worth it or what?

Shelf life of ammo is very dependent upon storage conditions. If you store it in cool, dry place in a properly sealed container it will last a lot longer than stored loose in say your hot, sweat drenched pocket.

Federal states this on their web site.
https://www.federalpremium.com/support/faq
What’s the shelf life of ammunition?
Store reloading components and ammunition in a cool, dry place, protected from direct exposure to sunlight. If stored properly, loaded ammunition has a 10-year shelf life.
There are many stories of 40 to 50+ year ammo performing up to modern specs. However, the one thing to bear in mind the propellants used in these rounds may or may NOT be the same as modern ammo...so YMMV.

Stercutus is correct in that the latest self defense projectiles are generally designed around a specific range of velocities to achieve their performance. Here is a story by Lucky Gunner about 3 tests of a Federal HST that performed well in revolvers with 4 & 2 inch barrels but was disappointing in a 1 7/8 inch revolver due to a significant velocity reduction that was disproportionate to the loss of a 1/8 of an inch of barrel.
https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/test ... special-p/
So it looks like this bullet needs a minimum velocity around 800 feet per second in order to give it the best chance of meeting the FBI standard. Even though some of these were under the 12-inch ideal minimum, by .38 Special standards, this is actually not terrible performance overall.
That said typically the variation within loads from the same manufacturer can vary quite bit from shot to shot enough to make vary performance. If you look at the Lucky Gunner tests you will a significant deviation in velocity between even a group of 5 shots.

I include an "adequate" amount of Self Defense/premium/specialty ammunition in my inventory. That said for cost purposes other types of more cost efficient constitutes a larger percentage than the premium ammo; especially in pistol/revolver calibers. The logic being that a bang is better than no bang. That and I prefer long arms for self defense purposes and prefer to expend resources on ammunition inventory in rifle calibers.

9mm is in my inventory. I have been able to find good deals on 50 round boxes of the Federal 124 grain HST in both regular and +P under $20 for 50 round boxes. This is the round I inventory. I do like the new Federal 150 gr HST but I have not seen any decent prices for these yet.

https://www.luckygunner.com/9mm-124-gra ... ds#geltest
https://www.luckygunner.com/9mm-p-124-g ... ds#geltest

https://www.bonefroggunclub.com/collect ... 4320476097
https://www.bonefroggunclub.com/collect ... 2960836097

However, a higher percentage of this caliber inventory is the lower cost FMJ.

Again what is adequate really varies by individual situation.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:32 pm

I am Stercutus and I approve of the three preceding messages. :v:
Shall be my brother

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”