It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 6:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kilauea Slowly Erupts
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:51 am 

Quote:
A crack in Kilauea volcano's rift zone -- an area of fissures miles away from the summit -- erupted late Thursday afternoon, spurting lava in Leilani Estates, a community of about 1,700 people near the Big Island's eastern edge.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/04/us/kilau ... index.html

Good drone footage here:

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2018/05/ ... tions.html

No casualties but lots of homes at risk. Hawaii has ordered the National Guard to guard homes of the evacuees to prevent looting.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 3:13 am 

There was a follow up with a 6.9 Earthquake. Again no casualties.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:10 am 

It is moving up a few notches.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/05/06/ha ... s-say.html

Quote:
Lava erupting from Hawaii's powerful Kilauea volcano has now destroyed at least 26 homes, more than double the previous figure, officials announced Sunday, citing grim findings from an aerial survey by the fire department.

The lava only covers about ten acres but shows no sign of slowing. It is also spread out over a much larger area.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:41 am 

I did say slooooowwlly erupt right?

It is getting worse.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/05/10/ha ... idges.html

Quote:
Geologists warned Wednesday that Kilauea could soon experience explosive eruptions from its summit, and launch “ballistic” rocks and ash into the air.

The next explosion could hurl ash and boulders the size of refrigerators miles into the air, shutting down airline traffic and endangering lives in all directions.

Some of the comments..... :roll: ..

Quote:
"Why did they let us buy residential property, knowing it was a dangerous situation? Why did they let people build all around it?”

I would just say.... "umm it is an active volcano, what did you expect? the land was cheap in Hawaii, that is why you bought it. Never heard the expression 'TANSTAAFL'?"

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 6:45 am 

Stercutus wrote:

Quote:
"Why did they let us buy residential property, knowing it was a dangerous situation? Why did they let people build all around it?”

I would just say.... "umm it is an active volcano, what did you expect? the land was cheap in Hawaii, that is why you bought it. Never heard the expression 'TANSTAAFL'?"

Curious about the comment that land is cheap in Hawaii? Went there on my honeymoon and real estate was astronomical. TBH, while the trip was totally worth it, everything was astronomical. Also, had a college friend who grew up there and he said the same thing. They were only able to afford living there because the company his dad worked for paid for lodging. People want beachfront property on Kauai so badly that there was (at the time) one of the last sugar cane plantations on the island who offered beachfront living if you were willing to live essentially in indentured servitude to the company as rent.

What should amaze me, but sadly doesn't, about this situation is not the distress of the people who live there (I mean, if my backyard suddenly cracked open and lava erupted out of it, I would freak out). No, instead I am concerned with how it doesn't seem (as far as I have read) they are taking safety measures outside the grounds of the park and trying to conduct business as usual. From what I read after looking at your post this morning, scientific concerns are for ashfall, gas, and even some of the rocks hurled from the volcano to go quite a few miles, potentially outside the range of the park. There are a number of businesses and homes right outside of park grounds. I get that tourism is Hawaii's major source of income, but still.

"She's tore up plenty, but she'll fly true."

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 7:19 am 

Ellywick wrote:
Stercutus wrote:

Quote:

Curious about the comment that land is cheap in Hawaii? Went there on my honeymoon and real estate was astronomical. TBH, while the trip was totally worth it, everything was astronomical. Also, had a college friend who grew up there and he said the same thing. They were only able to afford living there because the company his dad worked for paid for lodging. People want beachfront property on Kauai so badly that there was (at the time) one of the last sugar cane plantations on the island who offered beachfront living if you were willing to live essentially in indentured servitude to the company as rent.

What should amaze me, but sadly doesn't, about this situation is not the distress of the people who live there (I mean, if my backyard suddenly cracked open and lava erupted out of it, I would freak out). No, instead I am concerned with how it doesn't seem (as far as I have read) they are taking safety measures outside the grounds of the park and trying to conduct business as usual. From what I read after looking at your post this morning, scientific concerns are for ashfall, gas, and even some of the rocks hurled from the volcano to go quite a few miles, potentially outside the range of the park. There are a number of businesses and homes right outside of park grounds. I get that tourism is Hawaii's major source of income, but still.

I think there is also a normalicy bias. We don't like to think our world is ending. We cope with stress by ignoring it. South Korea is a good example, I think.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 1:50 pm 

Quote:
Curious about the comment that land is cheap in Hawaii?

One of the earlier articles noted that land around the volcano was selling cheaply (in comparison to the rest of the market in HI) decades ago which is why the development was built.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:59 am 

First casualty from the growing event:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 60141.html

Seems like a one in a million shot.

Now that the lava has reached the ocean there is a new threat:

Quote:
Civil defense authorities on Hawaii posted a warning to stay clear of any lava stream that is flowing into the ocean. When the super hot lava hits the cooler sea water, it produces what is called "laze," hydrochloric acid steam that pours into the air along with fine particles of glass.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/bu ... 627012002/