Polar Vortex Dangers

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Post Reply
absinthe beginner
* * * * *
Posts: 1094
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:05 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Location: Colorado

Polar Vortex Dangers

Post by absinthe beginner » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:41 am

With a deep freeze engulfing much of the northern United States, this seemed liked a timely topic.

https://www.businessinsider.com/polar-v ... ens-2019-1

For the first time since 2014, the polar vortex is descending on North America.

In parts of the Midwest and New England, about 25 million Americans are about to experience temperatures of minus 20 degrees Fahrenheit. Some areas in Minnesota and the Dakotas are facing temperatures 50 degrees below average — that's life-threatening cold.

The National Weather Service's Chicago office said windchill of minus 30 to minus 55 degrees Fahrenheit would hit the city between Tuesday and Thursday, with "record-breaking cold (potentially all-time)" on Wednesday.

The term polar vortex describes the mass of low-pressure cold air that circulates in the stratosphere above the Arctic and Antarctic regions. Sometimes the circulation of the polar vortex weakens during the winter, causing surges of frigid air to splinter off and drift south.

absinthe beginner
* * * * *
Posts: 1094
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:05 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Location: Colorado

Re: Polar Vortex Dangers

Post by absinthe beginner » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:42 am

‘It Is Getting Cold, Fast’: Thousands In Twin Cities Lost Power In Dangerous Cold

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2019/01/ ... cold-snap/

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Thousands of Minnesotans endured the coldest night in a generation without power.

Xcel Energy says equipment failures on power poles is leading to outages all over the metro Tuesday evening, which started at about 5:40 p.m.

At the peak of the outage, about 8,000 residents were affected in the Twin Cities metro area. As of 11 p.m., less than 600 customers people were still without power.

User avatar
woodsghost
* * * * *
Posts: 2961
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 3:45 pm

Re: Polar Vortex Dangers

Post by woodsghost » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:14 am

1) I am sorry to hear so many are having a tough time.

2) I grew up in North Iowa/South Minasota. I remember multiple times the temps dropped to -40F (wind chill, -20F actual), and maintained that temp for days at a time. I remember losing power and the natural gas lines freezing, so we only had wood to heat the house. In the 1990's I remember -60F wind chill. "Natural gas freezing and no electricity" happened to us some time between 2000 and 2006. This stuff happens and has happened in living memory. Multiple times. The last time I was personally present for -30/-40F was around 2014 (maybe 2013?). The only people I can imagine not being prepared are those who are transplants. Very recent transplants. Anyone else should have years of experience with this. It is cold, and sucks, but it is not unusual. Or maybe I have a different view of "unusual."

Just remembered: January 2018 saw -15 temps in southern Iowa as we drove home to Nebraska. It was highly variable from one half of a county to another, but the winds at the time would put the wind chill at near -30/-40. I called the State Troopers everytime I saw a car on the side of the road, just to make sure they were aware. That was a long cold drive. But again, this is not terribly unusual weather, in my mind. This is a little higher than average, but not as high as I have seen it.
Last edited by woodsghost on Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

absinthe beginner
* * * * *
Posts: 1094
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:05 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Location: Colorado

Re: Polar Vortex Dangers

Post by absinthe beginner » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:19 am

I grew up in MN. One time during a blizzard my sister's boyfriend showed up at our house half-frozen, wearing a jean jacket instead of a proper winter coat. His pickup had broken down and the dipshit walked more than a mile to our house, nearly freezing in the process. He should've known better, being a lifelong MN resident, but just assumed he'd be fine since his truck had a good heater. Until it didn't.

Frostbite is no joke.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-01- ... s-expected

User avatar
woodsghost
* * * * *
Posts: 2961
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 3:45 pm

Re: Polar Vortex Dangers

Post by woodsghost » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:28 am

absinthe beginner wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:19 am
I grew up in MN. One time during a blizzard my sister's boyfriend showed up at our house half-frozen, wearing a jean jacket instead of a proper winter coat. His pickup had broken down and the dipshit walked more than a mile to our house, nearly freezing in the process. He should've known better, being a lifelong MN resident, but just assumed he'd be fine since his truck had a good heater. Until it didn't.

Frostbite is no joke.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-01- ... s-expected
A friend's dad was a DNR guy and out trapping. Got frostbite and lost most of his toes. That stuff sucks.

Nature will kill you if you don't give it a LOT of respect. Sometimes it kills you anyway.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 3944
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: Polar Vortex Dangers

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:02 am

absinthe beginner wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:19 am
Frostbite is no joke.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-01- ... s-expected
QFT.

As a field medic, environmental injuries was a matter of serious concern. Frostbite can lead to Gangrene & amputation.

FYI: Once someone as succumbed to any environmental injury, they will be at greater for environmental injuries in the future.

It's cumulative.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 3944
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: Polar Vortex Dangers

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:44 am

I just got an email from my carrier that the Polar Vortex is approaching my area.

No insurer has ever sent me such an email before. I don't know what to make of it.

I'm going to top-off the BOV and do some laundry.

User avatar
Halfapint
* * * * *
Posts: 3785
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:41 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?
Location: Central Cascadia

Re: Polar Vortex Dangers

Post by Halfapint » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:17 pm

Was down in FL this last weekend and while it wasn’t ANYTHING this cold. They were feeling it. The first strange thing they said was the rain with no thunderstorms. The other thing was that it actually hit freezing in parts of the night.

Flying back it was constant turbulence due the cold air.

The westcoast and southwest are about the only areas in the country not being hit with it. I just up enruonr has a back up plan and has heat.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

User avatar
majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 6898
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 10:06 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead
Location: Maine

Re: Polar Vortex Dangers

Post by majorhavoc » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:56 pm

absinthe beginner wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:42 am
‘It Is Getting Cold, Fast’: Thousands In Twin Cities Lost Power In Dangerous Cold

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2019/01/ ... cold-snap/

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Thousands of Minnesotans endured the coldest night in a generation without power.

Xcel Energy says equipment failures on power poles is leading to outages all over the metro Tuesday evening, which started at about 5:40 p.m.

At the peak of the outage, about 8,000 residents were affected in the Twin Cities metro area. As of 11 p.m., less than 600 customers people were still without power.
My brother lives in Minneapolis. He's been visiting my father in Florida. He was supposed to fly back today but they cancelled first his connecting flight from Chicago to the Twin Cities, and then his flight out of Sarasota. Poor guy, he has to spend at least an extra day in the sunshine state.

Not to be alarmist, but flying and extreme cold temps always reminds me of this totally realistic, not-at-all-exaggerated-by-Hollywood scene from The Day after Tomorrow. I love how they nailed autogyration in helicopters:


User avatar
Halfapint
* * * * *
Posts: 3785
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:41 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?
Location: Central Cascadia

Re: Polar Vortex Dangers

Post by Halfapint » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:40 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:56 pm

My brother lives in Minneapolis. He's been visiting my father in Florida. He was supposed to fly back today but they cancelled first his connecting flight from Chicago to the Twin Cities, and then his flight out of Sarasota. Poor guy, he has to spend at least an extra day in the sunshine state.

Not to be alarmist, but flying and extreme cold temps always reminds me of this totally realistic, not-at-all-exaggerated-by-Hollywood scene from The Day after Tomorrow. I love how they nailed autogyration in helicopters:
As someone who’s familiar with this, big jets don’t really have an issue with this. It’s usually the smaller plans like the prop plans. Jets like airbus, Boeing, and the embier(esp) use bleed air to heat the leading edge. They take that hot gas from the engine and feed it through tubes to keep the leading edge from icing up. Think of it like an AR, it takes that hot exhaust pipes it back for the bolt, in the process heating up the gas tube.

The plains that have a real big issue are plays like the dash8’s where they are turbo prop, they use a bladder system on the leading edge that expands and contracts breaking odd the ice. These can only do it a few times a minute. There was an issue in NY a few years ago where this happened. Leading edge iced up and plane became a rock.

The reason plans cancel because of snow isn’t really the leading edge. It’s the entire wing. At speed ice can’t build up, but the deicing fluid they use on the ground will wear off and the wings start to build up snow and ice. So they have to cancel because the aerodynamics of the wing are gone and can’t generate life.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 2428
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: Polar Vortex Dangers

Post by flybynight » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:29 pm

Halfapint wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:40 pm
majorhavoc wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:56 pm

My brother lives in Minneapolis. He's been visiting my father in Florida. He was supposed to fly back today but they cancelled first his connecting flight from Chicago to the Twin Cities, and then his flight out of Sarasota. Poor guy, he has to spend at least an extra day in the sunshine state.

Not to be alarmist, but flying and extreme cold temps always reminds me of this totally realistic, not-at-all-exaggerated-by-Hollywood scene from The Day after Tomorrow. I love how they nailed autogyration in helicopters:
As someone who’s familiar with this, big jets don’t really have an issue with this. It’s usually the smaller plans like the prop plans. Jets like airbus, Boeing, and the embier(esp) use bleed air to heat the leading edge. They take that hot gas from the engine and feed it through tubes to keep the leading edge from icing up. Think of it like an AR, it takes that hot exhaust pipes it back for the bolt, in the process heating up the gas tube.

The plains that have a real big issue are plays like the dash8’s where they are turbo prop, they use a bladder system on the leading edge that expands and contracts breaking odd the ice. These can only do it a few times a minute. There was an issue in NY a few years ago where this happened. Leading edge iced up and plane became a rock.

The reason plans cancel because of snow isn’t really the leading edge. It’s the entire wing. At speed ice can’t build up, but the deicing fluid they use on the ground will wear off and the wings start to build up snow and ice. So they have to cancel because the aerodynamics of the wing are gone and can’t generate life.
Not to be alarmist, but flying and extreme cold temps always reminds me of this totally realistic, not-at-all-exaggerated-by-Hollywood scene from The Day after Tomorrow. I love how they nailed autogyration in helicopters:

A̶c̶t̶u̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶i̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶p̶l̶e̶t̶e̶l̶y̶ ̶u̶n̶r̶e̶a̶l̶i̶s̶t̶i̶c̶.̶ ̶T̶h̶e̶ ̶m̶o̶v̶i̶e̶ ̶s̶t̶o̶r̶y̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶h̶y̶d̶r̶a̶l̶l̶i̶c̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶e̶n̶g̶i̶n̶e̶s̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶z̶e̶ ̶s̶o̶l̶i̶d̶ ̶w̶h̶i̶l̶e̶ ̶r̶u̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶.̶ ̶A̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶h̶e̶l̶o̶c̶o̶p̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶t̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶m̶o̶v̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶m̶a̶i̶n̶ ̶r̶o̶t̶o̶r̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶z̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶a̶ ̶s̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶.̶ ̶A̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶s̶t̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶m̶a̶n̶a̶g̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶a̶u̶t̶o̶g̶y̶r̶a̶t̶e̶.̶ ̶E̶v̶e̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶o̶u̶g̶h̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶s̶u̶p̶p̶o̶s̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶e̶n̶o̶u̶g̶h̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶f̶r̶e̶e̶z̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶r̶u̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶e̶n̶g̶i̶n̶e̶ ̶s̶o̶l̶i̶d̶ ̶,̶ ̶a̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶v̶i̶v̶o̶r̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶r̶a̶s̶h̶ ̶m̶a̶n̶a̶g̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶o̶p̶e̶n̶ ̶a̶ ̶d̶o̶o̶r̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶f̶r̶e̶e̶z̶e̶ ̶s̶o̶l̶i̶d̶ ̶a̶l̶s̶o̶.̶ ̶A̶l̶l̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶ ̶n̶e̶e̶d̶e̶d̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶n̶e̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶r̶u̶n̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶b̶u̶l̶l̶e̶t̶s̶ ̶s̶i̶x̶ ̶s̶h̶o̶o̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶


ETA I always loved that movie , but could never understand why they didn't include a snow twister or ice tsunami .
EETA Nevermind just realized the depth of the sarcasm. :v: Carry on
Last edited by flybynight on Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 3944
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: Polar Vortex Dangers

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:56 pm

The BOV was hard to start this AM. It still started on the first turn, just longer than usual. After topping off the tank, I went inside. Came back, started her up, & both the brake light & the ABS light were on. I nixed the rest of my errends and drove home.

Q: Actual problem vs cold temps.

Please help. Thank you.

User avatar
majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 6898
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 10:06 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead
Location: Maine

Re: Polar Vortex Dangers

Post by majorhavoc » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:20 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:56 pm
The BOV was hard to start this AM. It still started on the first turn, just longer than usual. After topping off the tank, I went inside. Came back, started her up, & both the brake light & the ABS light were on. I nixed the rest of my errends and drove home.

Q: Actual problem vs cold temps.

Please help. Thank you.
Welcome to my world: I drive a Saab. Temp induced variations on battery output play havoc on the electrical system. Actually Saabs have electrical gremlins at all temperatures, but it definitely gets worse in cold weather.

When it really gets cold, I loose ABS, traction and electronic stability control on my 9-3 Sportcombi and yes, the brake light comes on. Let the engine warm up (so restarting isn't such an issue) and then do just that: shut down and restart. Always solves the problem for me.

Sluggish starting is expected in really cold weather, but can sometimes reveal the first signs of a weak link in your electrical system. Start with cheap solutions and move up: how old is your battery and are the terminals clean?

Growing up near the Canadian border, every car had a little electrical plug hanging out of the front grill. It was to plug in the block heater overnight.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 3944
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: Polar Vortex Dangers

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:25 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:20 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:56 pm
The BOV was hard to start this AM. It still started on the first turn, just longer than usual. After topping off the tank, I went inside. Came back, started her up, & both the brake light & the ABS light were on. I nixed the rest of my errends and drove home.

Q: Actual problem vs cold temps.

Please help. Thank you.
Welcome to my world: I drive a Saab. Temp induced variations on battery output play havoc on the electrical system. Actually Saabs have electrical gremlins at all temperatures, but it definitely gets worse in cold weather.

When it really gets cold, I loose ABS, traction and electronic stability control on my 9-3 Sportcombi and yes, the brake light comes on. Let the engine warm up (so restarting isn't such an issue) and then do just that: shut down and restart. Always solves the problem for me.

Sluggish starting is expected in really cold weather, but can sometimes reveal the first signs of a weak link in your electrical system. Start with cheap solutions and move up: how old is your battery and are the terminals clean?

Growing up near the Canadian border, every car had a little electrical plug hanging out of the front grill. It was to plug in the block heater overnight.
Thank you.

Current Wx:
Tonight: A chance of flurries between 3am and 5am. Increasing clouds, with a low around -17. Wind chill values as low as -30. West southwest wind around 6 mph becoming southeast after midnight
I'll check it in a few days. It should be warmer then. It drove fine on the way home. I have a little cab money if it doesn't start. I'll be able to get to the VA if I have to.

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 2428
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: Polar Vortex Dangers

Post by flybynight » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:27 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:56 pm
The BOV was hard to start this AM. It still started on the first turn, just longer than usual. After topping off the tank, I went inside. Came back, started her up, & both the brake light & the ABS light were on. I nixed the rest of my errends and drove home.

Q: Actual problem vs cold temps.

Please help. Thank you.
Image

We had a Suzuki that used to do that in the morning if it was really cold. Would sometimes have one wheel drag or even lock up till you stepped on the pedal repeatedly. Then it would be fine. With the temps you're expereancing I would just wait til it warms up a bit.
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

User avatar
majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 6898
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 10:06 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead
Location: Maine

Re: Polar Vortex Dangers

Post by majorhavoc » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:08 pm

flybynight wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:29 pm

Not to be alarmist, but flying and extreme cold temps always reminds me of this totally realistic, not-at-all-exaggerated-by-Hollywood scene from The Day after Tomorrow. I love how they nailed autogyration in helicopters:

A̶c̶t̶u̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶i̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶p̶l̶e̶t̶e̶l̶y̶ ̶u̶n̶r̶e̶a̶l̶i̶s̶t̶i̶c̶.̶ ̶T̶h̶e̶ ̶m̶o̶v̶i̶e̶ ̶s̶t̶o̶r̶y̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶h̶y̶d̶r̶a̶l̶l̶i̶c̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶e̶n̶g̶i̶n̶e̶s̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶z̶e̶ ̶s̶o̶l̶i̶d̶ ̶w̶h̶i̶l̶e̶ ̶r̶u̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶.̶ ̶A̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶h̶e̶l̶o̶c̶o̶p̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶t̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶m̶o̶v̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶m̶a̶i̶n̶ ̶r̶o̶t̶o̶r̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶z̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶a̶ ̶s̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶.̶ ̶A̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶s̶t̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶m̶a̶n̶a̶g̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶a̶u̶t̶o̶g̶y̶r̶a̶t̶e̶.̶ ̶E̶v̶e̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶o̶u̶g̶h̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶s̶u̶p̶p̶o̶s̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶e̶n̶o̶u̶g̶h̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶f̶r̶e̶e̶z̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶r̶u̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶e̶n̶g̶i̶n̶e̶ ̶s̶o̶l̶i̶d̶ ̶,̶ ̶a̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶v̶i̶v̶o̶r̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶r̶a̶s̶h̶ ̶m̶a̶n̶a̶g̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶o̶p̶e̶n̶ ̶a̶ ̶d̶o̶o̶r̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶f̶r̶e̶e̶z̶e̶ ̶s̶o̶l̶i̶d̶ ̶a̶l̶s̶o̶.̶ ̶A̶l̶l̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶ ̶n̶e̶e̶d̶e̶d̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶n̶e̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶r̶u̶n̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶b̶u̶l̶l̶e̶t̶s̶ ̶s̶i̶x̶ ̶s̶h̶o̶o̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶


ETA I always loved that movie , but could never understand why they didn't include a snow twister or ice tsunami .
EETA Nevermind just realized the depth of the sarcasm. :v: Carry on
No worries. I should have used blue font. But when I first saw your reply I figured: "he'll catch on". And you did! Plus, I really like your ideas for snow twisters and ice tsunamis. Let's hope the SyFy channel monitors this forum!

User avatar
Stercutus
* * * * *
Posts: 12556
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Bouncing in to Graceland

Re: Polar Vortex Dangers

Post by Stercutus » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:22 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:08 pm
flybynight wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:29 pm

Not to be alarmist, but flying and extreme cold temps always reminds me of this totally realistic, not-at-all-exaggerated-by-Hollywood scene from The Day after Tomorrow. I love how they nailed autogyration in helicopters:

A̶c̶t̶u̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶i̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶p̶l̶e̶t̶e̶l̶y̶ ̶u̶n̶r̶e̶a̶l̶i̶s̶t̶i̶c̶.̶ ̶T̶h̶e̶ ̶m̶o̶v̶i̶e̶ ̶s̶t̶o̶r̶y̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶h̶y̶d̶r̶a̶l̶l̶i̶c̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶e̶n̶g̶i̶n̶e̶s̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶z̶e̶ ̶s̶o̶l̶i̶d̶ ̶w̶h̶i̶l̶e̶ ̶r̶u̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶.̶ ̶A̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶h̶e̶l̶o̶c̶o̶p̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶t̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶m̶o̶v̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶m̶a̶i̶n̶ ̶r̶o̶t̶o̶r̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶z̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶a̶ ̶s̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶.̶ ̶A̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶s̶t̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶m̶a̶n̶a̶g̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶a̶u̶t̶o̶g̶y̶r̶a̶t̶e̶.̶ ̶E̶v̶e̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶o̶u̶g̶h̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶s̶u̶p̶p̶o̶s̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶e̶n̶o̶u̶g̶h̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶f̶r̶e̶e̶z̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶r̶u̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶e̶n̶g̶i̶n̶e̶ ̶s̶o̶l̶i̶d̶ ̶,̶ ̶a̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶v̶i̶v̶o̶r̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶r̶a̶s̶h̶ ̶m̶a̶n̶a̶g̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶o̶p̶e̶n̶ ̶a̶ ̶d̶o̶o̶r̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶f̶r̶e̶e̶z̶e̶ ̶s̶o̶l̶i̶d̶ ̶a̶l̶s̶o̶.̶ ̶A̶l̶l̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶ ̶n̶e̶e̶d̶e̶d̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶n̶e̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶r̶u̶n̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶b̶u̶l̶l̶e̶t̶s̶ ̶s̶i̶x̶ ̶s̶h̶o̶o̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶


ETA I always loved that movie , but could never understand why they didn't include a snow twister or ice tsunami .
EETA Nevermind just realized the depth of the sarcasm. :v: Carry on
No worries. I should have used blue font. But when I first saw your reply I figured: "he'll catch on". And you did! Plus, I really like your ideas for snow twisters and ice tsunamis. Let's hope the SyFy channel monitors this forum!
Nothing to do now except meet at the NYC library and start burning books.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

User avatar
EBuff75
* *
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:29 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse
Location: SE Michigan

Re: Polar Vortex Dangers

Post by EBuff75 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:05 pm

Drove my BOV (2004 Suburban Z71) to work today rather than my little Mazda 3 hatchback. Started up no problem in the morning, but it was less happy about starting after spending the day in the parking lot at work. Still started up, but made some horrible groaning and moaning noises from the steering and trans.

I have a battery booster in each vehicle and I made sure to charge them both up last night and then put them both in the truck before I left, just in case! Office was a bit of a ghost town today (lots of people working from home), but I did tell our admin and some other folks that I had the boosters if anyone else needed help.

Tomorrow is supposed to be more of the same. Fingers crossed that it's as personally uneventful as today was!

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 3944
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: Polar Vortex Dangers

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:51 pm

From NPR: Medical Effects Of Extreme Cold: Why It Hurts And How To Stay Safe
The damaged skin typically appears white, waxy or grayish-yellow at first, Schaider says, and is cold and numb. Call your health care provider if you notice these symptoms. If the condition is caught early, it's possible to prevent permanent damage. If not, frostbite can progress, and lead to the need for amputation.

An even more dangerous reaction begins when the internal body temperature significantly drops, in a condition called hypothermia. Initially when you're exposed to the cold, Schaider says, you'll shiver and that can be beneficial in trying to keep you warm. But, as hypothermia progresses, your body's response to the cold actually diminishes.

"You'll stop shivering, and then your body temperature will start dropping at a more rapid rate," he explains. The body gets colder and moves slower. Your mind thinks slower. Your heart moves slower. And, as time goes on, he says, you become confused. You can go into a coma or even die.

USPS Suspends Mail Delivery In Parts Of 10 States Because Of Dangerous Polar Vortex
The USPS says it's not delivering mail Wednesday in the below areas — and we'll warn you that the list has fluctuated. Parts of Kansas and Pennsylvania were once on the list, for instance, only to be removed later.

The numbers reflect the first three digits of the region's ZIP code:

Michigan: 486-491, 493-499
Detroit: 480-485, 492
Central Illinois: 601, 603-605, 609, 613, 614, 616, 617
Chicago: 606-608
Lakeland (Southeast Wisconsin): 530-532, 534, 535, 537-539, 541-545, 549, 600, 602, 601, 611
Northland (which includes Minnesota and Wisconsin): 540, 546-548, 550, 551, 553-564, 566
Hawkeye (which includes Iowa and Illinois): 500-514, 520-528, 612
Indiana: 460-469, 472-475, 478, 479
Northern Ohio (Cleveland and Lima areas): 441, 458
Ohio Valley (Cincinnati and Columbus areas): 452, 430-432
South and North Dakota: 580-588, 570-577
Eastern Nebraska: 680-689
This story was published on Wednesday, January 30th, 2019 @ 1020 hrs.

absinthe beginner
* * * * *
Posts: 1094
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:05 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Location: Colorado

Re: Polar Vortex Dangers

Post by absinthe beginner » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:56 am

Hell has officially frozen over.

https://nypost.com/2019/01/30/hell-has- ... ozen-over/

Hell has quite literally frozen over in Michigan.

A small community in the Midwestern state with the devilish name of Hell felt temperatures drop to 9 below zero on Wednesday with wind chills as low as 40 below.

The town, about 25 miles Northwest of Ann Arbor, is dealing with the brutal blast of cold air pummeling the area.

JT42
*
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:55 pm

Re: Polar Vortex Dangers

Post by JT42 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:07 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:51 pm
USPS Suspends Mail Delivery In Parts Of 10 States Because Of Dangerous Polar Vortex

This story was published on Wednesday, January 30th, 2019 @ 1020 hrs.
On my drive to work Wednesday morning I heard on the radio that it was so cold there wouldn't even be any e-mail delivery that day.

User avatar
EBuff75
* *
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:29 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse
Location: SE Michigan

Re: Polar Vortex Dangers

Post by EBuff75 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:03 pm

Michigan's lower peninsula had a bit of a scare right in the middle of the polar vortex this week. Just at the point where the temperatures had bottomed out, one of the larger natural gas compression stations (used to compress gas to send via pipelines to houses/businesses for heating purposes) suffered an explosion and fire, taking it out of commission. Things were dire enough that the state sent out an emergency alert to all cell phones asking people to turn down their thermostats in order to help keep the natural gas grid from collapsing. Enough people did that they were able to work through the problem and resume normal gas delivery last night at midnight.

Here's an article giving more details: https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/ ... 734657002/

Post Reply

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”