North Korea Saber Rattling

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Cybrludite
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: North Korea Saber Rattling

Post by Cybrludite » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:26 am

Looks like His Pudgy-ness' tertiary syphilis has finally driven him over the edge. Anything else happening along the DMZ?

If you're the religious type, some "To whom it may concerns" for the men & women of the 2nd Infantry and our other forces in the area would not be amiss.
“There are only two ways to sleep well at night, be ignorant or be prepared” – Simon Black

Readiness is all. — William Shakespeare

Senectute Et Perfidia

Fire

Post by Fire » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:49 am

I wonder what NK's premier thinks of 2012- and does he see it as a goal to make it into something that ends with a bang....
रक्षस

" I have stood the charge of the Rakshasha, my heart will not fail, I have felt the teeth of the tiger, I fear no evil"....

Hail St. Gabriel Possenti, patron saint of handgunners...

Warclaw

Post by Warclaw » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:40 am

I'm watching a South Korean news stream. I don't understand the language but a couple of people in the room are translating. I guess there have been 2 deaths now, both ROK Marines. Appearently the North Koreans were trying to demonstrate by targetting a ROKMC artillery battery that's on the island.

They fired an estimated 200 rounds that landed all over the area.

TheGunslinger
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheGunslinger » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:45 am

That's a bit more than just the usual 'oops' that North Korea do - you know, a stray torpedo here, the odd shell there.

I wonder if this is it?
Bureaucracy destroys initiative. There is little that bureaucrats hate more than innovation, especially innovation that produces better results than the old routines. Improvements always make those at the top of the heap look inept. Who enjoys appearing inept? ~A Guide to Trial and Error in Government, Bene Gesserit Archive

Cybrludite
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Cybrludite » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:00 am

TheGunslinger wrote:That's a bit more than just the usual 'oops' that North Korea do - you know, a stray torpedo here, the odd shell there.

I wonder if this is it?
I'd think that it'd be a bit more widespread than just one island near Inchon if that were the case. Of course I'm not a syphilitic tin-pot dictator raised from birth to be a secular god and now facing my own mortality, so my insights to what (if anything) Li'l Kim is thinking are kinda limited...
“There are only two ways to sleep well at night, be ignorant or be prepared” – Simon Black

Readiness is all. — William Shakespeare

Senectute Et Perfidia

TheGunslinger
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheGunslinger » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:15 am

That's probably true, it'd be more a case of 'NUCLEAR LAUNCH DETECTED' and up goes Seoul, if it was the big one.

Not sure what South Korea is going to do here - I know Russia has said knock it off, but it's a pretty hard one to ignore.
Bureaucracy destroys initiative. There is little that bureaucrats hate more than innovation, especially innovation that produces better results than the old routines. Improvements always make those at the top of the heap look inept. Who enjoys appearing inept? ~A Guide to Trial and Error in Government, Bene Gesserit Archive

blackmesa
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (1978 + 2004) (they were both good!)
28 Days Later (I know, not technically a zombie movie, but it's still good)
Night of the Living Dead

Post by blackmesa » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:23 am

South Korea will be thinking "lets switch this off, asap", and it looks like that's what they've done.

There was a nominal counterstrike by South Korea, but not enough to provoke further action from the North. The reality is that any war will result in both sides losing, so neither can ever go through with it.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:48 am

This is bad in a Kashmir kind of way.
"We express our concern over the situation. The situation is to be verified," Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei said at a regularly scheduled media briefing in Beijing. He called on both Koreas without naming them "to do more to contribute to peace and stability on the peninsula."
Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/11/23 ... z166pM3tJu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Guess China is going to let slip an opportunity to be a true power player in their own back yard.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

andygates
Favorite Zombie Movies: ROTLD 2 ;)

Post by andygates » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:57 am

More of the saberlicious same, surely - in 'response' to a perceived millimeter encroachment by SK, NK kick off, dare SK to escalate, and everyone stares over the border with huge boggly eyes going "grr!" for a while.

It's like dealing with that teenager who thinks he's really cool but is actually just an asshole.

How would it work if this was a flex by the heir chappy? New civvy boy just wants a play with his toys?
Czechnology: "If you have to ask an internet forum for confirmation on whether or not a Revolution is coming, the answer is always no."

Free UK & Ireland Street and Topo maps for Garmin: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps (updated weekly) - OpenStreetMap

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:06 am

On the subject of artillery bombardment, remember Seoul is only 35 miles from the border:
http://www.businessinsider.com/map-of-t ... urs-2010-5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

Molon Labe

Post by Molon Labe » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:19 am

Of course, the best course of action and best method of dealing with that teenager you mention (grabbing him up a whipping the tar out of him till he can't stand on his own) can't be done here. How do you deal with a dictator that's batshit crazy, a military that continuously murders our allies without so much as a hint of provocation, and a ruling party that continues on in their drive for more destructive means of murdering said allies? All without smearing massive amounts of civilians across the country side mind you.

I guess the West could just cut off all aid (monetary and otherwise) and simply respond with overwhelming force (via surgical strikes) when NK gets stupid about it. But then you'll have a broken country, with a large broken citizenry, that'll once again "need more aid".

IMO sending aid to NK is like feeding a cancer. At best, nothing good will come of it. At worst, the cancer eventually kills everything around it.
Molon labe: Underwater Fire Starter-
"Tis' not shackles of iron that will chain the people, but apathy. Twill' not be weapons of steel that will keep them free, but the will to act."
Thor wrote: Never did sling load that Gama Goat.
Image You can't stop the signal.

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:20 am

Australia's Foreign Minister Kevin Rudd says: "I'm confident that President Lee Myung-bak will handle this appropriately. I'm less confident that the North Koreans are capable of handling these things competently. But we in Australia will stand in support of [South Korea's] response to this provocative act."
Japan describes North Korea's artillery attack as "unforgiveable", Reuters reports.
the BBC's live feed page: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific ... stm?ref=nf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

Cymro
Location: Fayetteville Refugee currently bunkered in Wilmington, NC, USA

Post by Cymro » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:31 am

I desperately want to believe that this is going to end peacefully.

However, looking at the pattern of escalation here, the DPRK is poking just to see how much they can pull off without an international response of any serious nature. My instinct is to say that we'll see more of this, and soon.
"Young men, beware of murder. It may lead to theft and, from there, to telling lies."
Alphonse Allais

Standing invite to all ZSers: If you're ever down Carolina way, the first round's on me.

Cymro
Location: Fayetteville Refugee currently bunkered in Wilmington, NC, USA

Post by Cymro » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:37 am

The ROK is seeking to calm things down by denying any attempt to solicit great US nuclear support.

On the other hand, it would be easy to read this as an awfully specific denial, especially in light of comments made earlier.

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/nationa ... 0315F.HTML" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Young men, beware of murder. It may lead to theft and, from there, to telling lies."
Alphonse Allais

Standing invite to all ZSers: If you're ever down Carolina way, the first round's on me.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:48 am

The ROK is seeking to calm things down by denying any attempt to solicit great US nuclear support.

On the other hand, it would be easy to read this as an awfully specific denial, especially in light of comments made earlier.
I promise not to hit you with this giant baseball bat if you promise not to hit me with your club? Tactical nukes are of little importance. One boomer sub off the coast and all the N.Koreans will be living underground until the half life falls down to safe level. The onyl question is have things gotten to the point where they are willing to risk all that or is this more posturing?

For the sake of reassuring myself I will point out this thread is nearly two years old.
You go over and under
I go through

razi

Post by razi » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:01 am

the norks are likely trying to provoke the south into retaliating heavily, so that they can use their nuclear weapon "defensively" (likely on Seoul). they want to nuke 'em, but know they'll get their ass handed to 'em if they do it offensively. if south korea escalates, though, the north will have an excuse (in their eyes). it's a standard political tactic where one attempts to gain the higher moral ground over one's enemy.

this obviously wasn't the opening salvo of an invasion, because it's just straight-up too small, but it's blatant enough to be un-ignorable.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:04 am

the norks are likely trying to provoke the south into retaliating heavily, so that they can use their nuclear weapon "defensively" (likely on Seoul). they want to nuke 'em, but know they'll get their ass handed to 'em if they do it offensively. if south korea escalates, though, the north will have an excuse (in their eyes). it's a standard political tactic where one attempts to gain the higher moral ground over one's enemy.

this obviously wasn't the opening salvo of an invasion, because it's just straight-up too small, but it's blatant enough to be un-ignorable.
Put in the context of the primitive understanding that NK has of international relations due to their isolation that seems a good read, if their real goal is to nuke Seoul.

The South just vowed Enormous Retaliation if they attack again

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40329269/ns ... iapacific/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Stercutus on Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
You go over and under
I go through

Dexion1619

Post by Dexion1619 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:04 am

I cant post a link from my phone, but cnn has a somewhat interesting story which quotes the south korean president saying that this will require a military action response... it sounded ominous, I know north korea postures a lot, but I didn't think that the south made idle threats like that. it almost sounds like the south korea president is ready to go to the mat.

what the hell was that psychotic tin pot thinking
Dude, is that a turkey or a dinosaur?!?!

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:11 am

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiap ... tml?hpt=T1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
South Korea's president called on his military forces to use "action" and not talk to punish North Korea for deadly artillery attacks on Tuesday, but international diplomats appealed for restraint.

"The provocation this time can be regarded as an invasion of South Korean territory. In particular, indiscriminate attacks on civilians are a grave matter," President Lee Myung-bak said at the headquarters of the Joint Chiefs of Staff here, according to South Korea's Yonhap news agency.

"Enormous retaliation is going to be necessary to make North Korea incapable of provoking us again," Lee said.

"Given that North Korea maintains an offensive posture, I think the army, the navy and the air force should unite and retaliate against (the North's) provocation with multiple-fold firepower," he said.
But, Yonhap reported, the incident is "the first direct artillery attack on South Korean territory since the Korean War ended in an armistice, not a formal peace treaty" in the 1950s and it has prompted great concern.

"Reckless attacks on South Korean civilians are not tolerable, especially when South Korea is providing North Korea with humanitarian aid," Lee said, according to Yonhap.

"As for such attacks on civilians, a response beyond the rule of engagement is necessary. Our military should show this through action rather than an administrative response" such as statements or talks, he said.

After the incident, Yonhap said the Seoul government "banned its nationals from entering the communist state, indefinitely postponed their scheduled Red Cross talks and began looking at ways to push the United Nations to condemn Pyongyang."
Markets no likey.... DOW down 150 points. Gold up $25.
You go over and under
I go through

Dexion1619

Post by Dexion1619 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:15 am

Yup, that was the article, thanks for l
inking it.
Dude, is that a turkey or a dinosaur?!?!

TC

Post by TC » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:57 pm

Sorry about not posting any updates since this morning, I can't access ZS at work.
BBC wrote: S Korea warns North after clash

South Korea says it will retaliate with missile strikes against the North if faced with "further provocations", after an exchange of fire in which two South Korean marines were killed.

President Lee Myung-bak was responding to the shelling of an inhabited island close to a disputed maritime border.

The South returned fire in one of the worst clashes since the Korean War.

US President Barack Obama called the incident an "outrageous, provocative act" by Pyongyang.

He was speaking ahead of an expected telephone call to President Lee.

The South Korean military had been carrying out an exercise near Yeonpyeong island, and the North accused the South of opening the hostilities - something Seoul denies.

The South says North Korean shells started falling in the waters off the island at 1434 local time (0534 GMT) on Tuesday.

At least 50 landed directly on the island, most of them hitting a South Korean military base there. In addition to the two deaths, 16 South Korean marines and three civilians were injured.

The South fired back some 80 shells. Casualties on the northern side are unknown.

President Lee held a meeting with the Joint Chiefs of Staff in Seoul.

Afterwards he said he had ordered the military to punish North Korea for its artillery attacks "through action", not just words, saying it is important to stop the communist regime from contemplating additional provocation.

"The provocation this time can be regarded as an invasion of South Korean territory. In particular, indiscriminate attacks on civilians are a grave matter," he said.
'Belligerent'

There have been occasional cross-border incidents since the conflict ended without a peace treaty in 1953, but the latest comes at a time of rising regional tension.

North Korea's reclusive leader Kim Jong-il is thought to be ill and trying to ensure the succession of his youngest son.

On Saturday, it emerged that North Korea had also shown off what it claimed was a new uranium enrichment facility to an American scientist.

The move prompted the US to rule out the resumption of six-party talks on nuclear disarmament that Pyongyang abandoned two years ago.

White House press secretary Robert Gibbs called on North Korea to "halt its belligerent action", adding that the US was "firmly committed" to South Korea's defence.

But North Korea's supreme military command blamed South Korea for the incident.

"The South Korean enemy, despite our repeated warnings, committed reckless military provocations of firing artillery shells into our maritime territory near Yeonpyeong island beginning 1300 (0400 GMT)," the state-run KCNA news agency quoted it as saying.

The North will strike back if South Korea "dares to invade our sea territory by 0.001mm", it warned.

There was more condemnation of North Korea from Russia, EU and the UK, although China - the North's main ally - refused to apportion blame.

A spokesman for the Chinese foreign ministry said that both countries should "do more to contribute to peace".

"What's imperative now is to restart six-party talks as soon as possible," Hong Lei told reporters in Beijing.

Japan's Prime Minister, Naoto Kan, said he had ordered ministers to prepare for any eventuality.

"I ordered them to make preparations so that we can react firmly, should any unexpected event occur," he said.

Russia's foreign minister warned of a "colossal danger", and said those behind the attack carried a huge responsibility.

This western maritime border, also known as the Northern Limit Line, has been the scene of numerous clashes in the past.

In March, a South Korean warship went down near the border with the loss of 46 lives. International investigators say a North Korean torpedo sank the ship, although Pyongyang has denied any role in the incident.
I have to say, South Korea has handled this very well so far, IMHO. They've managed to retaliate without escalating things into an all out shooting match. This needs a lid keeping on it, like we've talked about before, if things start popping off big time everyone loses.
blackmesa wrote: There was a nominal counterstrike by South Korea, but not enough to provoke further action from the North. The reality is that any war will result in both sides losing, so neither can ever go through with it.
QFT!
andygates wrote: How would it work if this was a flex by the heir chappy? New civvy boy just wants a play with his toys?
One of the theories being thrown around. Not so much to do with playing with his toys but rather building up his street cred with the military, a critical objective in his ability to become a strong leader of North Korea.
Molon Labe wrote: I guess the West could just cut off all aid (monetary and otherwise) and simply respond with overwhelming force (via surgical strikes) when NK gets stupid about it. But then you'll have a broken country, with a large broken citizenry, that'll once again "need more aid".

IMO sending aid to NK is like feeding a cancer. At best, nothing good will come of it. At worst, the cancer eventually kills everything around it.
A tempting solution at first glance, but the North has more artillery than anyone else in the world and would still smoke Seoul and anything else they could. There's no easy way to take out their arty either, they've been preparing for just such an attack for over 50 years now and are heavily protected.

On the subject of cutting food aid to North Korea, I really don't think that would fly for several reasons. Firstly, lots of South Koreans would hate that, they still have relatives alive in there who they don't want to see starving to death. Secondly, it's worth remembering that the citizens of NK have done nothing wrong, if anything they are the biggest victims of all of this. It's not right to punish them.

There's just no easy way to sort this thing out. If there was, we wouldn't be here after 50 years still scratching our heads over it.
razi wrote:the norks are likely trying to provoke the south into retaliating heavily, so that they can use their nuclear weapon "defensively" (likely on Seoul). they want to nuke 'em, but know they'll get their ass handed to 'em if they do it offensively. if south korea escalates, though, the north will have an excuse (in their eyes). it's a standard political tactic where one attempts to gain the higher moral ground over one's enemy.
I doubt we'll ever have to worry about North Korea getting the higher moral ground, everyone knows that the regime is as bad as they come and incapable of being innocent. No need to worry about a nuclear attack quite just yet either, they still lack a delivery system for such a device and I very much doubt they have a device small enough to be used in a missile anyway.
KentsOkay wrote: I immediately thought about calling 911, but once we got to the T stop and got her out of her jeans, things seemed to be going a lot better.
TC's Defence of the Realm Target Download

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:04 pm

TC: any word from what the mood is in SK? Do people think "this is it" or "this is just so much more BS from up North" ?

Maeklos
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead (the original), Resident Evil

Post by Maeklos » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:31 pm

Hoping that when Kim kicks the bucket, China may be able to exert a little more influence over his successor. I mean, let's face it - China is the US' largest economic ally, for all the ballyhoo that passes between the two countries. Having a pro-Chinese leader in North Korea is probably one of the better solutions to the problem. With the rising wages of Chinese workers, the world's industries may even be able to start shipping some work to North Korea instead of China. It would help keep the Chinese economy from growing so quickly that it bursts, while at the same time start bringing the North Koreans into the modern era and expanding their minds just a little bit.

If we end up with another crazy-ass god-emperor wannabe, Japan will probably end up re-writing its constitution and recreating the Japanese Imperial Army for the express purpose of kicking the living shit out of North Korea the moment one of those rickety duct tape death rockets that the North Koreans keep firing over Japan accidentally crashes into a city. South Korea will jump in. Hell, maybe even Russia, just to get things over with quickly. Not to mention the US boys and girls moving to assist their allies, and all the rest of the UN forces in the area. Meanwhile, China's shoving its fingers in its ear and yelling, "Fuck! Fuck! Fuck!" until its all over, knowing that they're going to suddenly end up with millions of North Korean refugees streaming over the border.

Of course, that's just my opinion, and what the hell do I know?
Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

"If the Russian flag were accurate, it would depict half a cabbage, a bottle of vodka, and a cold man dying for the Motherland."

TC

Post by TC » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:19 pm

phil_in_cs wrote:TC: any word from what the mood is in SK? Do people think "this is it" or "this is just so much more BS from up North" ?
My girlfriend is going to call her folks tonight, so I have no real news from Seoul yet. She herself was shocked but didn't get too worked up about it.

Most of her attention seemed to be on the fact that South Korea's defcon system is numbered 'Jindo Dog' 1-3, 1 being the most severe. She has no idea why their system is based around Jindo Dogs, but at least you can't get too scared about being at Jindo Dog 1, just because it sounds so damn funny. Maybe that's the whole point!

I did read this on the BBC live feed you posted earlier though, it is written by Sam Kim from Seoul at 13:00GMT: "Streets as peaceful as they normally are. Only thing unusual was a radio relaying the news of attack in high tone." I suspect that this is probably the general situation everywhere, aside from the candlelight vigil held in Seoul.

I also thought that this was an interesting comment from the same page: "The footage of the attacks makes this qualitatively different from the attack on the [South Korean warship] Cheonan earlier this year. This is exactly what it would look like if North Korea shelled Incheon or Seoul, and regular South Koreans will feel the impact much more deeply. Diplomacy is important here not because it will solve the problem, but because it is the only hope to keep this from escalating."

I'll post more later when I've heard what my girlfriend's parents have to say though. No doubt that this is a very unusual and serious occurrence though.
KentsOkay wrote: I immediately thought about calling 911, but once we got to the T stop and got her out of her jeans, things seemed to be going a lot better.
TC's Defence of the Realm Target Download

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”