It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1775 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 74  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:18 pm 
Offline
* * *
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:11 am
Posts: 473
Location: West Texas
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
NK approaches the next test launch of its long range ballistic missile, cleverly disguised as a satellite launch. Threatens SK with war if ANY country tries to intercept the missle. The launch is in violation of at least one treaty and may violate others. US says no intention of intercepting missle. Funny that the US and SK are conducting joint defensive war games at this time as well. Bears watching.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,506843,00.html

_________________
Zombie Fleet #0124

"Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a government entity!"


Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:25 pm 
Offline
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:18 pm
Posts: 15643
Location: Greater New Orleans Area
Has thanked: 845 times
Been thanked: 473 times
[quote="dkhoward"] Funny that the US and SK are conducting joint defensive war games at this time as well. Bears watching.

Great double entendre; the Russian Bear is truly watching this also.

_________________
Duco Ergo Sum

Link to ZS Hall of Fame Forum
ImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:26 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:00 pm
Posts: 2247
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 51 times
raptor wrote:
Great double entendre; the Russian Bear is truly watching this also.


Yeah, but why? I haven't really been keeping good tabs on what Russia is up to at the moment, but I imagined it constituted something like this:

The Kremlin: "HOLY FUCK! Our country is falling apart!"

Vladimir Putin: "Shut up, you pussies! Throw more money into our newly-built furnace of delicious capitalism! It's snowing and my nuts are cold!"

I can see Russia trying to manipulate any altercation (militarily, technologically, economically, et al) in the region for their own purposes, but what purposes might those be?

_________________
Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

"If the Russian flag were accurate, it would depict half a cabbage, a bottle of vodka, and a cold man dying for the Motherland."


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:03 pm 
Offline
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:18 pm
Posts: 15643
Location: Greater New Orleans Area
Has thanked: 845 times
Been thanked: 473 times
Maeklos wrote:
raptor wrote:
Great double entendre; the Russian Bear is truly watching this also.


Yeah, but why? I haven't really been keeping good tabs on what Russia is up to at the moment, but I imagined it constituted something like this:

The Kremlin: "HOLY FUCK! Our country is falling apart!"

Vladimir Putin: "Shut up, you pussies! Throw more money into our newly-built furnace of delicious capitalism! It's snowing and my nuts are cold!"

I can see Russia trying to manipulate any altercation (militarily, technologically, economically, et al) in the region for their own purposes, but what purposes might those be?


:lol: That is great. :lol:

Russia probably could give a rats ass about NK but just as we would interested in anything close to our border, say like Mexico. We would be watching this carefully if for no other reason to fuck with the USSR...er Russia.

_________________
Duco Ergo Sum

Link to ZS Hall of Fame Forum
ImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:40 pm 
Offline
* * *
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:11 am
Posts: 473
Location: West Texas
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Since this is my thread I will hijack it . .

Raptor. . . . fill me in on your flag? It is interesting and I like the design . . any significance?

_________________
Zombie Fleet #0124

"Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a government entity!"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:59 pm 
Offline
* * * * *

Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:42 pm
Posts: 3967
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 1 time
be funny if that satellite crash landed somewhere in China or Russia.

Speaking of, I wonder what would happen if China shot that rocket down?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:03 pm 
Offline
* * *
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:11 am
Posts: 473
Location: West Texas
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
I think it would be funny if it fell on Kim's palace while he was watching the launch on TV

_________________
Zombie Fleet #0124

"Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a government entity!"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:04 pm 
Offline
* * *
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 5:10 pm
Posts: 532
Location: Baton Rouge
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
razi wrote:
Speaking of, I wonder what would happen if China shot that rocket down?


If that happend, NK would demand more food and energy be given to it by the US! Otherwise, they're going to rattle their sabre even louder!! And you dont want that... :lol:

_________________
shrapnel wrote:
Also, if the internet did become self-aware, jesus fuck it would be largely devoted to porn, so I don't see that ending any way other than hilariously.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:09 pm 
Offline
* * *
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:11 am
Posts: 473
Location: West Texas
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
you know. . that saber must be pretty rusty after more than 50 years of rattling around

_________________
Zombie Fleet #0124

"Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a government entity!"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:28 am 
Offline
* *
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:59 pm
Posts: 242
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
.

_________________
supraneurotoxin wrote:
mastering skills like that is akin to pissing your pants in a black suit. it gives you a nice warm feeling, but no one really notices....


Last edited by Monklicous on Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:42 am 
Offline
* * *
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:11 am
Posts: 473
Location: West Texas
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
One thing to remember, the US and SK have been doing this same set of exercises every year for the past 40 or so years. Every year the NKs compain threaten and rattle the rusty saber. Im not saying they won't do something stupid. Basically, no one is sure who is in charge in the North. They basically import everything they use in quantity. I think they are on the last nerve of their trading partner China because they threaten the quasi-capitalism of the CHinese.

_________________
Zombie Fleet #0124

"Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a government entity!"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:19 am 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:31 pm
Posts: 1007
Location: The Netherlands
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Monklicous wrote:
"North Korea on Monday cut its military hotline to Seoul and put its million-man army at battle stations, ratcheting up tensions as South Korean and US troops began war games that Pyongyang warned could spark open conflict."

............................................................
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d5d6fd4a-0c60 ... fd2ac.html

Yeah, they've got a lot of troops. They've had so for decades. I believe that, if they call up reserves, their number will equal the Chinese armed forces. But, I'm far more curious with what they're armed. Since, as far as I know, they don't exactly have a whole lot of import going in and don't have enough resources to build decent weaponry. China might supply them but... with what will they pay China? In underfed, indoctrinated women?

_________________
Slow zombies, evidently...

That German Guy's Battalion commander wrote:
"If someone breaks through the gate, we expect you to be on your third magazine by the time they get to the first road junction!"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:27 am 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:00 pm
Posts: 2247
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 51 times
Lynxian wrote:
But, I'm far more curious with what they're armed.


Modified and updated T-62s are what they crew in the way of armor. Otherwise known as the "ubiquitous burning hulk" seen frequently scattered about Kuwait and Iraq after the last two wars. The rest of equipment to match.

_________________
Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

"If the Russian flag were accurate, it would depict half a cabbage, a bottle of vodka, and a cold man dying for the Motherland."


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:33 am 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:31 pm
Posts: 1007
Location: The Netherlands
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Maeklos wrote:
Lynxian wrote:
But, I'm far more curious with what they're armed.


Modified and updated T-62s are what they crew in the way of armor. Otherwise known as the "ubiquitous burning hulk" seen frequently scattered about Kuwait and Iraq after the last two wars. The rest of equipment to match.

Well, in that case the North Korean generals better be experts in the ways of guerrilla warfare, otherwise that'll end in grande decimation. On the bright side, human right watch organizations will probably take NK's side and proclaim that the allies are 'excessively bombing the already needy North Koreans'. I predict it to be true! (Slight sarcasm implied! ;))

_________________
Slow zombies, evidently...

That German Guy's Battalion commander wrote:
"If someone breaks through the gate, we expect you to be on your third magazine by the time they get to the first road junction!"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:12 am 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:10 am
Posts: 1767
Location: ZSC: Fo-Tay! Making the dead sit still in the 504!
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 4 times
Lynxian wrote:
Yeah, they've got a lot of troops. They've had so for decades. I believe that, if they call up reserves, their number will equal the Chinese armed forces. But, I'm far more curious with what they're armed. Since, as far as I know, they don't exactly have a whole lot of import going in and don't have enough resources to build decent weaponry. China might supply them but... with what will they pay China? In underfed, indoctrinated women?

(Oafish note to self: See about selling arms to North Korea... :mrgreen: ) Let's put it this way, the latest patrol boat the North Korean navy has fielded has the turrets of WWII vintage T-34/85 medium tanks mounted as deck guns. As far as rifles go, Mosin-Nagants, SKS clones (Type 63), AK-47 (Type 58) and AKM (Type-68) clones. No, I don't know why they decided to start building the SKS after they already were making the AK-47. For tanks, Chinese T-54 clones (Type-59), the aforementioned T-62, a domestically built modified T-62 clone (Ch'ŏnma-ho), and T-72s, and some reserve units still use the T-34s. APCs are mostly 1960s era Chinese junk and a limited number of BMP-1s. Their Airforce uses mostly 1950s and 1960s Soviet & Chinese fighters & medium bombers. About all they have going for them are numbers and the possibility of nukes.

_________________
“There are only two ways to sleep well at night, be ignorant or be prepared” – Simon Black

Readiness is all. — William Shakespeare

Senectute Et Perfidia


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:39 am 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:00 pm
Posts: 2247
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 51 times
Looks like Japan is threatening to shoot down North Korea's satellite.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/0 ... =rss_world

Will they do it? I hope so. And then have N. Korea turn around and declare war on Japan. I want to see some JDF mecha smoking massive cigars tearing around N. Korea on thrusters and blasting the crap out of Kim's antique replica army.

_________________
Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

"If the Russian flag were accurate, it would depict half a cabbage, a bottle of vodka, and a cold man dying for the Motherland."


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:49 pm 
Offline
* *
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:45 pm
Posts: 228
Location: Northern KY
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Well, if nothing else, it gives the US a way "out" of sorts - granted, it will be our equipment and probably our troops manning the patriot batteries or wtf-ever is needed to shoot it down, but if Japan claims to do it, let's see NK try some stupid shit like declaring war on Japan. They're already starving, stupid and threadbare - hell, what was Sam Kinison's quote: "Hell, Col. Sanders can win THIS war!" Granted, he was referring to Gulf War I, but NK's army and population are in worse shape than Saddam's.

_________________
**Actual Conversation from the h0 h0useh0ld:**
Boy: "Daddy, where's next Gombie?!" (charges plastic AR-15)
Daddy: "Oh no buddy, he's coming for your baby sister!"
Boy: "NO WAY GOMBIE, I WUV MY SISSY!!!" (ratatatata with plastic AR-15)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:55 pm 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:27 pm
Posts: 2988
Location: Australian Outback
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
It wouldn't be just a declaration of war against Japan, though, it would be against South Korea as well.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - Kim is a master of brinkmanship. He keeps playing on the edge, because he knows that people will give him what he wants. There is virtually no liklihood that people will swap the liklihood of him shelling Seoul in exchange for a satellite launch.

I mean, yeah, the US would go through NK like a fat kid through a box of Krispey Kreme's, but at the expense of probably tens of thousands of South Korean (and North Korean) lives.

If it was possible (and it's not) I'd say evacuate Seoul, go straight in an knock the head of Kim's regime and then re-unify the two Korea's. That's not possible, though and not in the least because South Korea don't really want to be responsible for millions of poor impoverished brain-washed North Koreans. Nor do I blame them, really.

The difference between East and West Germany is still apparent in some ways - I'd shudder to think what it would do to South Korea's already ravaged economy to have to rebuild the northern part of the country. It might be a catalyst for jobs etc, but I think that would probably be outweighed by the shanty towns and rise in crime that would come with it.

_________________
Bureaucracy destroys initiative. There is little that bureaucrats hate more than innovation, especially innovation that produces better results than the old routines. Improvements always make those at the top of the heap look inept. Who enjoys appearing inept? ~A Guide to Trial and Error in Government, Bene Gesserit Archive


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:12 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 7:19 pm
Posts: 2717
Location: Lafayette, La
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
TheGunslinger wrote:
It wouldn't be just a declaration of war against Japan, though, it would be against South Korea as well.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - Kim is a master of brinkmanship. He keeps playing on the edge, because he knows that people will give him what he wants. There is virtually no liklihood that people will swap the liklihood of him shelling Seoul in exchange for a satellite launch.

I mean, yeah, the US would go through NK like a fat kid through a box of Krispey Kreme's, but at the expense of probably tens of thousands of South Korean (and North Korean) lives.

If it was possible (and it's not) I'd say evacuate Seoul, go straight in an knock the head of Kim's regime and then re-unify the two Korea's. That's not possible, though and not in the least because South Korea don't really want to be responsible for millions of poor impoverished brain-washed North Koreans. Nor do I blame them, really.

The difference between East and West Germany is still apparent in some ways - I'd shudder to think what it would do to South Korea's already ravaged economy to have to rebuild the northern part of the country. It might be a catalyst for jobs etc, but I think that would probably be outweighed by the shanty towns and rise in crime that would come with it.


Kim also has China standing behind him. China does not want a democratic Korea on its border. I think a lot of his bluster comes from knowing this. China has occasionally told him to STFU. I'd feel safe acting like a big shit if I had a big brother the size of China backing me up.

I'm wondering what happens when Kim dies. Does the military step in and say they run it or does some figure head come forth.

_________________
You want to kill, get a gun. You want to impress other dweebs, carry a knife. Or nunchucks. - War Nerd

It real simple... we live back in here... dis is our home, and nobody don't fuck with us


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:19 pm 
Offline
* * * * *

Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:56 pm
Posts: 1147
Location: Pa
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
whatever happens its going to be interesting.

_________________
As we run into the house
The wall of dead surrounds
Tentacles of decay flesh
Tear and pull us down
Doors and windows boarded shut
But the pressure was too much
Zombie I, girl please run away


http://www.tumblr.com/blog/kevincurbstomp <- my tumblr


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:37 pm 
Offline
* * *

Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:21 am
Posts: 678
Location: Texas
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
BeerandGuns wrote:
Kim also has China standing behind him. China does not want a democratic Korea on its border. I think a lot of his bluster comes from knowing this. China has occasionally told him to STFU. I'd feel safe acting like a big shit if I had a big brother the size of China backing me up.

I'm wondering what happens when Kim dies. Does the military step in and say they run it or does some figure head come forth.


I don’t know so much about China backing any stupid play that NK makes. Like you said China has told him on several occasions to keep his mouth shut, and they are trying real hard to be seen in a positive light globally. I don’t think they’d really let NK compromise that. China isn’t willing to risk war with the US & her allies anymore than the US really wants war with China. If anything, I think that China has probably kept NK from doing something stupid for a while.

Just my opinions..

_________________
Image
phil_in_cs wrote:
Everyone ought to live in Texas. But not everyone has the cajones.



PM me and ask me how to become a member of the Zombie Squad Discount Group!
www.militiasupply.com


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:42 am 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:27 pm
Posts: 2988
Location: Australian Outback
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
Yeah, times have changed in the 60 odd years since the actual shooting Korean War.

NK doesn't have carte blanche like they used to - I'd say it's pretty freakin unlikely that we'll see a million strong 'People's Volunteer Army' behind NK like we saw back then.

China has said don't be a fucking dickwad to Kim on numerous occasions. NK, is in many respects a vassal state of the PRC - sometimes that means they get away with cockamanie stunts, but in other times it means they get told to shut the fuck up and sit down.

I'd say that risking a shooting war with South Korea (and by extension, Japan and the USA - probably the UK, Australia, Malaysia and New Zealand, for what we're worth) is one of those kinds. S'if China is going to stand behind NK if it means sacrificing virtually all trade with the West - seeing as NK is dwindling in pretty much every demographic measurable.

_________________
Bureaucracy destroys initiative. There is little that bureaucrats hate more than innovation, especially innovation that produces better results than the old routines. Improvements always make those at the top of the heap look inept. Who enjoys appearing inept? ~A Guide to Trial and Error in Government, Bene Gesserit Archive


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:15 am 
Offline
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:17 pm
Posts: 5356
Location: Western Terror Australis.
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 1 time
Considering the chinese just spent all that time and money buying up chunks of the west in terms of property, shares, assets, industry, resources and debt I think that's another reason they'll want to keep a lid on Kim's antics.

In terms of "fear of NK" the average (business)man in the street in SK* is more afeared of a possible reunification with NK than any possibility of NK attacking them.

*I recently read a series of interviews with SK businessfolk but can't find it to substantiate my comment.
-

_________________
"I shoot the dead." - Harlen Maguire, The Road to Perdition.

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Image
Hk33k - in memorium.
-


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:31 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 7:19 pm
Posts: 2717
Location: Lafayette, La
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
TxMedic645 wrote:
BeerandGuns wrote:
Kim also has China standing behind him. China does not want a democratic Korea on its border. I think a lot of his bluster comes from knowing this. China has occasionally told him to STFU. I'd feel safe acting like a big shit if I had a big brother the size of China backing me up.

I'm wondering what happens when Kim dies. Does the military step in and say they run it or does some figure head come forth.


I don’t know so much about China backing any stupid play that NK makes. Like you said China has told him on several occasions to keep his mouth shut, and they are trying real hard to be seen in a positive light globally. I don’t think they’d really let NK compromise that. China isn’t willing to risk war with the US & her allies anymore than the US really wants war with China. If anything, I think that China has probably kept NK from doing something stupid for a while.

Just my opinions..


I don't see war coming of it. I'm mentioning China because Kim knows we won't go after him with China backing him. He's certainly not going to start a war. He's got an entire country at his feet. Why ruin a good thing?

_________________
You want to kill, get a gun. You want to impress other dweebs, carry a knife. Or nunchucks. - War Nerd

It real simple... we live back in here... dis is our home, and nobody don't fuck with us


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1775 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 74  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group