French protest-en masse

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

TravisM.1

Re: French protest-en masse

Post by TravisM.1 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:16 pm

crypto wrote:Big business has plenty of politicians in their pockets, if labor doesn't do the same they'll keep getting fucked on things like working conditions, unemployment insurance, workers compensation, and overtime.
I wish someone would tell the Union that people where I work belong to that this is supposed to be how it works. The Union here fucks their members worse than the company does.
I sold my soul to the devil for a .45, a black cowboy hat and a switchblade knife.......

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:03 am

Away from unionisation and back to the French. If there's one thing that should unite the English-speaking people of the world, it's dissing the French-speaking ones :lol:

From the BBC:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7861774.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BBC wrote:French government fears rise of left

"Sarkozy is right to be afraid of us," says Marine, a 22-year-old student and member of the League of Communist Revolutionaries in Toulouse. "We are the ones who are going to break the rules and the control of the old system. We are the new alternative".

Across Europe, victims of the economic slump who are losing their jobs in their tens of thousands are furious that public money is being doled out to the banks. In some countries, they are more willing to vent their anger. As huge crowds took to the streets across France this week, in a national day of protests and strikes, the far left points to a boost in the number of its supporters in times of financial gloom.

The French communist movement has remained a significant political force even in the decades when their cause was less than fashionable abroad. Now, France's communists believe they are staring at the proof that capitalism has failed, once and for all. And they see an opportunity.

Marine and her fellow party-member, Hugo, who is 18, do not envisage a violent revolution.
"There is no need for guns or bullets," says Hugo, "just a realisation that the situation is not fair, that all the state's money is being spent on the people who need it the least."

Stephane Borras, who is one of the group's organisers and a candidate to lead a new party that is being formed under the banner of anti-capitalism, says attitudes are changing.
"We are seeing a radicalisation, perhaps the beginning of a very big movement. I am not a clairvoyant, but I live in France, I have a lot of contacts with a wide range of people and it's not just leftists, not just militants who cannot accept the injustice. Inequality is growing in Europe and inequality is always the cause of revolt".
Here's an English translation of one of the current French pamphlets:
http://tarnac9.wordpress.com/texts/the- ... urrection/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you'd prefer the original French:
http://www.lafabrique.fr/IMG/pdf_Insurrection.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

Sam Quint

Post by Sam Quint » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:43 am

The French are not the only protestors : http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7862370.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Geneva as well: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7863298.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Europe appears to be attempting to keep a lid on a pot thats starting to boil. :(
Doomerism to me is the equivalent of voluntary pants pooping, where you can say you knew it was coming, and you were right about it all along, and now you have tangible proof.

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:30 pm

Sam Quint wrote:Europe appears to be attempting to keep a lid on a pot thats starting to boil. :(
For the sake of completeness (and in the spirit of full disclosure) you should note the UK has wildcat strikes over foreign workers. Only this time, they're not Ukrainian agricultural labourers or Polish plumbers, but Italian construction workers:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7863316.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:51 pm

sheddi wrote:For the sake of completeness (and in the spirit of full disclosure) you should note the UK has wildcat strikes over foreign workers. Only this time, they're not Ukrainian agricultural labourers or Polish plumbers, but Italian construction workers:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7863316.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Free movement for work in the EU, right? They don't need a special permit?
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:57 pm

phil_in_cs wrote:
sheddi wrote:For the sake of completeness (and in the spirit of full disclosure) you should note the UK has wildcat strikes over foreign workers. Only this time, they're not Ukrainian agricultural labourers or Polish plumbers, but Italian construction workers:
Free movement for work in the EU, right? They don't need a special permit?
Got it in one. Everything is legit and above-board, and if it wasn't for the current unemployment fears no-one would be bothered.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

andygates
Favorite Zombie Movies: ROTLD 2 ;)

Post by andygates » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:53 pm

The employer contracted to bring their own workforce over -- they're on a floating hotel. If the refinery owners didn't think that local workers might be a bit pissed at that, they're plain dumb.

But the English are really complaining that they want protectionism: "British jobs for British workers (and keep Johnny Foreigner out!)" -- none of the industry or union reps are saying this, but the men on the picket lines are saying exactly this. Protectionism's raising its head all over the place.

The French, they've got a double-whammy. Sarkozy is enacting reforms that were already uncomfortable before the credit crunch took hold (his reforms are similar to Thatcher's in the 80's here). So he's got that plus the credit crunch plus the French tradition of striking as a regular, accepted means of protest.

Modern France was founded on mass protest. It's a tradition they hold dear. I know, it looks weird to us, but marching on the streets isn't the big thing to the French that it is to other nations. I mean, can you imagine the Japanese doing this? They'd just go home and kill themselves instead (ah, the 1990s).
Czechnology: "If you have to ask an internet forum for confirmation on whether or not a Revolution is coming, the answer is always no."

Free UK & Ireland Street and Topo maps for Garmin: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps (updated weekly) - OpenStreetMap

THROBGOD13
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead Snow

Post by THROBGOD13 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:27 pm

and what about the Koreans?? i think they have elevated the public protest into a high art..

there is nothing wrong with unions.. i belong to SAG, without them i wouldn't have a retirement fund..
my father has been a Teamster since the early 70's..

Ellie With An Axe

Post by Ellie With An Axe » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:25 pm

THROBGOD13 wrote:and what about the Koreans?? i think they have elevated the public protest into a high art..

there is nothing wrong with unions.. i belong to SAG, without them i wouldn't have a retirement fund..
my father has been a Teamster since the early 70's..
I'm in ASCAP. It's not the super duper awesomest ever, but it's a whole lot better than the alternative, which is no union, and nobody representing my interests.

Back to topic... I do get that the French are founded on the principle of organizing the masses. It's something I admire about them. Yes, I've been known to admire the French! Oh la la, c'est la fin du monde, ppftt!

suntzu

Post by suntzu » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:13 am

sheddi wrote:
BBC wrote:French government fears rise of left

I am not a clairvoyant, but I live in France,
:lol:

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”