Tough times indicator in my area (Central Va)

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

The Highwayman
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series

Re: Tough times indicator in my area (Central Va)

Post by The Highwayman » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:40 pm

Once again, thanks WILLIE and Stimpy for the kind words and thoughts/prayers. I am keeping a positive outlook, as I am confident that my wifes skills and work ethics will enable her to find something else without too much trouble. The main thing that has me worried is that there are several other companies in our area that are also laying off people right now as well, so there are that many more people entering the jobless group. So, even if she is able to find something else, I fear that her entry-level status will result in her paying not being nearly as much as it is currently. We'll just have to make due, one way or the other.

Stimpy, your assessment of some of the causes resulting in the current workplace cuts, are spot on concerning your thoughts on the corporate mismanagement. For instance, my wife would constantly tell me of totally ignorant policies that the "higher-ups" instituted. One example- every week on Sunday morning, my wife's employees would have to come in at 6:00 am, due to the weekly ads that were starting that day. Her department was responsible for shipping/receiving, product stocking, and the management of the warehouse. One of her teams duties was the downloading/printing, and placing of tags for merchandise in the store. Instead of just changing out the tags for products that had price changes, they had to print up and replace tags on the shelves for every product in the store, even stuff that hasn't changed in price for weeks or even months. What the hell their thought process was for wasting all that paper/ink/time to change every tag was, only God could guess at. But this is only one of many, many missuses and/or total wastes of resources that were normal occurances there. No wonder they have run the business into destruction.

Sorry for the rant; it's just really disgusting to me that they could've possibly avoided this situation. Anyway, thanks again guys and gals, for all the well wishes. I also wish that anyone else that is affected or will be by this economic emergency willl be okay. I fear that things haven't even got close to how bad they will eventually become. God bless us and the country as a whole. We are sure going to need it........
Join ZS:17- FL

RIP Hk33k

BeerandGuns

Post by BeerandGuns » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:19 pm

I worked part time at a Circuit City 9 years ago as a second job and from what you are saying, it doesn't sound like too much has changed. Customers used to come to the store and tell us the only reason they were there was because the Best Buy parking was full. That was about the time the stock started sliding and the manager had to assure the sales staff that everything would be fine. Circuit City lasted longer than I thought it would.

We decided about a month ago to put our house on the market and get something a bit bigger. A month later with three showings, we just took it off the market. I thought Lafayette would be a bit different because of the oilfield but we are ramping up to the same issues everyone else is having. Strange times. Not the time to add more debt.
You want to kill, get a gun. You want to impress other dweebs, carry a knife. Or nunchucks. - War Nerd

It real simple... we live back in here... dis is our home, and nobody don't fuck with us

jackal13666
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead, diary of the dead, night of the dead

Post by jackal13666 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:00 pm

get a job at a national/ state run cemetery. I did and its not bad they aren't cutting jobs as much as everyone else.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:21 pm

BeerandGuns wrote: We decided about a month ago to put our house on the market and get something a bit bigger. A month later with three showings, we just took it off the market. I thought Lafayette would be a bit different because of the oilfield but we are ramping up to the same issues everyone else is having. Strange times. Not the time to add more debt.
In the 80's my SIL built a house in Lafayette. It cost $80,000 to build the house ($35/sq ft average then). She then had to relocate to Houston (after the oil crash in the 80's) about 18 months later. She sold her house for $50,000 about 18 months later. She was lucky the major oil company that employed her paid to relocate her so SIL still had a job but she lost $30,000 in the move. Her choice was move or no job. Others had no job and no real estate market. The oil patch is UGLY when it crashes. You made a wise choice.

BeerandGuns

Post by BeerandGuns » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:57 pm

raptor wrote:
BeerandGuns wrote: We decided about a month ago to put our house on the market and get something a bit bigger. A month later with three showings, we just took it off the market. I thought Lafayette would be a bit different because of the oilfield but we are ramping up to the same issues everyone else is having. Strange times. Not the time to add more debt.
In the 80's my SIL built a house in Lafayette. It cost $80,000 to build the house ($35/sq ft average then). She then had to relocate to Houston (after the oil crash in the 80's) about 18 months later. She sold her house for $50,000 about 18 months later. She was lucky the major oil company that employed her paid to relocate her so SIL still had a job but she lost $30,000 in the move. Her choice was move or no job. Others had no job and no real estate market. The oil patch is UGLY when it crashes. You made a wise choice.

The stories you hear about Lafayette in the 80's oil crash.... :(

People still joke that when you bought a car, the dealership threw in a house for free.
You want to kill, get a gun. You want to impress other dweebs, carry a knife. Or nunchucks. - War Nerd

It real simple... we live back in here... dis is our home, and nobody don't fuck with us

AssistncefrmaDstnce
Favorite Zombie Movies: DawnOTD, "Night of the Creeps"

Post by AssistncefrmaDstnce » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:49 pm

Sorry to hear about it, I remember when nursing was THE boom industry to get into! When I worked in a hospital, nurses were mandatory 10-15hours a week overtime, plus all sorts of bonus pay. Obviously, the "open door, free medical care inside!" policy [trying to avoid politics here, sorry] have produced the effects that intelligent prognosticators told of years ago. In California, the drain on the system by 'certain elements' is so enormous that they can't even pay refund taxes. WoWzEr. Best of luck keeping your job, I've always worked as hard as I could so that I could be seen as the "indispensible" one. I hope you're prepared for the worst that may come, but I wish the best to you!
This is my rifle.
There are many like it, but this one is MINE.

killzombies
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Diary, Dawn and Night!

Post by killzombies » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:03 am

i start nursing school wednesday and just got hired as a secretary in the local hospital. i consider myself fortunate to be both smart and a good interviewer. the position i originally applied for was filled with internal layoffs but they found another job for me anyway.

if you've the means to go back to school i highly recommend it. though i worry about a deflation in nursing wages with all these people going there with the economy the way it is, not to mention my fear of underqualified applicants squeaking through and killing people.
Selling 5 round OEM licensed production Saiga-12 mags, plastic with metal feed lips, new out of wrapper (I test loaded each mag to make sure they loaded. Don't forget to slide the shell all the way back before pressing down >.<).

$18/each,
2 = Free S&H
5 = Free S&H + free mag

Sam Quint

Post by Sam Quint » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:07 am

There doesn't appear to be too many employment safe havens. http://www.layoffdaily.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; The current climate isn't leaving any sector untouched. :(
Doomerism to me is the equivalent of voluntary pants pooping, where you can say you knew it was coming, and you were right about it all along, and now you have tangible proof.

stimpy321972
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead, shaun of the dead

Post by stimpy321972 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:27 am

No, there doesn't seem to be any kind of safe haven at all, healthcare and state/city jobs used to be pretty secure. That idea has come and gone.. I have some buddies on local police & fired departments that have been told that the state budget cuts will affect them also. Nothing has been put on paper yet, but they are hammering out in the state legislator as we speak and public education and public safety looking at 10-20% cuts also. I am sure that will take a long time, no politician wants to be the one that cuts school spending and police/fire services..

Most of the people I work with and myself included have a part time or P.R.N job somewhere else to pick up some extra money. I will definitely be working some extra hours, to pad my saving some more and my stash of cash for hard times.

KIllZ; good luck in nursing school,, stick with it, it will pay off, I am trying to finish my nursing degree, wish I would have done it all at one time instead of a class here and there...
MaxRite wrote:
BigBossMan wrote: My AR is a precision weapon.
Couldn't agree more. It is a precision weapon. It will jam at the precise moment you need it the most. :)
AK/Glock/Blue Wire w orange stripe/Twinkies

Call Sign: KK4JKV

Kathy in FL

Post by Kathy in FL » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:01 am

stimpy321972 wrote: Nothing has been put on paper yet, but they are hammering out in the state legislator as we speak and public education and public safety looking at 10-20% cuts also. I am sure that will take a long time, no politician wants to be the one that cuts school spending and police/fire services.....
It didn't take that long here in FL. The teachers have already been hit pretty hard as have the cops and other first responders. The public universities started taking a hit the last two years and I don't know how difficult its going to be for my son to get into the schools that have all frozen their freshman enrollment numbers. a lot of private colleges in the state have also frozen their enrollment numbers.

The small businesses in this state have been taking hit after hit as the State and County governments keep raising fees and adding other costs just to do business around here.

There is no such thing as a safe haven around here anymore.

stimpy321972

Post by stimpy321972 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:18 pm

I am sorry to hear that, hope you have not been affected that much.

I know a lot of the counties and cities here rely on personal property taxes for a great deal of their budget and the state for sales tax. I lot of people just can't afford to pay them because of the mortgage rates raising. Most of the PPT assessments are 10-30% above the listed value of the property and the rate goes up every year. I know of, but don't know personally some people who have had their homes taken by the county/city government because of deliquent PPT then sold which right now they are not selling so much. One of the local counties is charging I believe, a 50,000 dollar easement on all new homes sold,, up from 8-10,000 a couple of years ago. This cost gets added to the price of the home by the builder and with some of the nice subdivisions, which there a lot of, makes a home anywhere near them unthinkable for most people.. I know this because I live in a subdivision with a lot of the doctors and P.A's I work with, and my house is right at below average for the area in terms of cost.

I know that the colleges have been cutting back on their budgets, I have been trying to get into one class since spring of 08', I am still on the waiting list for that class. They used to offer 4 classes a semester now they are down to one. I have had to take classes unrelated to my degree. I cannot take the class at another institution, because it is specific to my degree at this university, also we get 6 free credits a semester at my hospital and it is easier on my "budget" to take the freebies. I was told by my university advisor that state layoffs will affect the number of teachers/professors they can keep.. read: laying off instructors. So more and more wait time to get into classes...

It sounds like a self-defeating prophecy for everyone..............
MaxRite wrote:
Couldn't agree more. It is a precision weapon. It will jam at the precise moment you need it the most. :)

witchdoctor556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil Trilogy

Post by witchdoctor556 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:42 pm

First of all, I hate it that anyone on here or their loved ones has lost their job. I am sorry... and will keep everyone in my prayers.

Next, add NC to the list. My girlfriend works for a very large hospital/trauma center/pedi hospital in central NC. She got an email last week that the first round of lay-offs were done. The next round would be starting in upcoming weeks. She was told directly her department was a target, since they are "over staffed" but seem to not be able to keep up. She is not a nurse, she is a pharmacy tech. They fill orders for nursing homes, hospital patients, out-patients, organ transplant patients from across the country, and cancer patients from all over the southeast. They already work late most of the time and are commonly out of medications to dispense.

Furthermore, NC Dept of Transportation Highway / Road Maint. Division is laying off almost everyone. They stated all state projects and road repairs are on hold till next fiscal year. They cannot pay the employees and the State of NC has asked all county governments to return money to the state ASAP. I work as a county paramedic and we are never fully staffed. I doubt I will lose my job or take a pay cut. I have not heard of any police, fire, or EMS lay-offs... yet. I do know that almost every county and city in our area is on a hiring freeze. Walmart is on a hiring freeze as well, a friend of my gf's tried to get a job in the pharmacy there the other week.

Going back to health care for a moment... I know speaking for my area the number of 911 calls is up already this year over last year and the past several months. We are getting called out for more and more minor stuff, but the patients are refusing to be transported. As I predicted some years ago, eventually people would start using EMS / Ambulance Services as a "quick clinic on wheels". These people want us to come out and check them over. Then they want an "expert opinion". Even if it is something we tell them they need to go to the hospital for, most are saying "I cannot afford it so I am not going..." This means a few things to you... One increased call volume for us means less availability if YOU have an emergency. Two, we are working harder and spending more to provide services. Lastly, we are putting more wear and tear on our equipment and we cannot afford to replace it.

Best of luck to you all in the future. I hope everyone uses the government resources available to get new training and find a new job. The fortunate one of us will continue to work and pay taxes.... for time being.

It is long past time to stock pile... as finances tighten it is harder and harder to find spare money to do so.
Official Retail Dealer for Condor Tactical Gear - email me at Countryroadoutfitters@yahoo.com
*General Disclaimer - I am not responsible for you or anyone else. If you take my advise don't complain about it and don't sue me. All medical advice is given in good faith, do not try to do anything you are not trained to do.

stimpy321972

Post by stimpy321972 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:31 pm

Yeah, that's if there is anything left to re-train with, the government is just a broke as everyone else. You can't sell Treasury bonds forever and not all countries, are as eager to buy them anymore. I also don't see the government cutting back on non-essential spending. If they keep on bailing out the banks and all these corporate crooks we as a country will be knee deep in defaults... The almighty dollar will take a giant crapper..

edit: we just heard that they are re-assigning 100 critical care nurses, making them re-apply for 60 postions. In essence laying off 40 nurses and lowering the pay of 60 others. They didn't send this out in an email, which is standard procedure. I heard this from an ex-gf who is one of the 100 chosen.
MaxRite wrote:

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”