Earthquakes for SE US in the headlines

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

twohands
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead - Simon Pegg is Brilliant.

Earthquakes for SE US in the headlines

Post by twohands » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:20 pm

All - A couple of headlines recently caught my eye. The first is a US govt report abut the impact of earthquakes in the New Madrid (St. Louis / Memphis area) zone and the Eastern Tennessee (upper eastern Alabama) fault zones.

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/ ... EV20081120" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The second was a report of some unexpected quakes in Arkansas.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... AD94NSS4O3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How many ZS'ers think/plan for EQs? HOW do you plan, and does it differ from other disasters?

NOTE TO SELF: Check if homeowners insurance covers earthquakes.
"I aim to misbehave." - Mal
Maeklos wrote: And to that effect, before I die, I would love to see some crusty old Senator or Congressman on C-SPAN stand up and address a fellow official by saying, "You, sir, are a fucking douche nozzle."

Necrodamus

Re: Earthquakes for SE US in the headlines

Post by Necrodamus » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:40 pm

Research that New Madrid faultline if your not preparing for an EQ in that area, you'll decide on a helicopter for a BOV! That fault line is capable of leveling the country from Ohio to Mississippi.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:00 pm

Typically homeowners policies for earthquake have a 10% deductible.

I know for a fact that state farm policies just went up to 20% for the New Madrid area.

Scary stuff. I live in a brick house made a century ago. All my stuff is in it except for what's in the car. I'll probably be dead before I can make it to an exit if a serious quake hits.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Trioxin
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Trioxin » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:54 pm

The Mrs. and I were sitting on the couch the other day, and she said, "Can you feel the couch shaking?"
I couldn't, but she was adament about it. Looks like she was right. :)
A few months back we had a quake big enough to shake our bed. I can honestly say that I don't do a lot of quake specific planning. I have all my general prep that should cover me (water, food, propane, 12V back up, etc.). I also live in a VERY fortified home. It is log cabin built with 14" nails, setting on a 6' concrete slab, and the roof trusses are made of rough cut OAK covered with tin...so the idea of this building coming down doesn't really show up on the radar. I know it is a possibility though.
One of the reasons I left Cali was to get away from EQs...who would have thought of TN as a hot spot??
You Are Not Free.
FYI: the 7.4 trillion dollars used to bail out Wall Street could give $23,000 to EVERY man, woman, and child in the US.
Slowly moving toward my 666th post. YEAH!!

The Highwayman
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series

Post by The Highwayman » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:10 pm

Heh. And people say I am crazy for living in hurricane central. At least I've got at least a week's notice to batten down the hatches.

Y'all can have that shit! :shock:
Join ZS:17- FL

RIP Hk33k

Necrodamus

Post by Necrodamus » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:14 pm

YOU REALLY NEED TO READ ABOUT NEW MADRID!
In 1811 it rerouted the Mississippi River, trust me your log cabin is no match if a major quake comes out of this faultline. I would rather live in a very fragile mobile home, less chance of the debri crushing me.

Necrodamus

Post by Necrodamus » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:27 pm

Here is some reading for those interested...
New Madrid

Tactical Raccoon
BANNED

Post by Tactical Raccoon » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:01 pm

Interesting... I have family down in TN area and will definitely pass this on. Lets hope it doesn't happen but lets be prepared for it if it does.
Forum nazi's control in effect...

Trioxin
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Trioxin » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:52 pm

Necrodamus wrote:YOU REALLY NEED TO READ ABOUT NEW MADRID!
In 1811 it rerouted the Mississippi River, trust me your log cabin is no match if a major quake comes out of this faultline. I would rather live in a very fragile mobile home, less chance of the debri crushing me.
Yeah, anything THAT big would just be a "bend over and kiss my ass good bye" scenario. :)
You Are Not Free.
FYI: the 7.4 trillion dollars used to bail out Wall Street could give $23,000 to EVERY man, woman, and child in the US.
Slowly moving toward my 666th post. YEAH!!

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Post by dogbane » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:19 am

I experienced an earthquake in East Tennessee. It was around 4.0 and centered in Ooltewah, TN, which meant I was practically on top of it. I didn't know what it was until I saw on the news that it had been an earthquake. I had thought my Alaskan husky had slammed into my storm door , but he wasn't around when I looked out.

East Tennessee is full of thrust faults, illustrated by F below.

Thrust faults from space:

This map shows the distribution and magnitude of earthquakes in the Southeast. Note the heavy concentration of small and moderate strength quakes in the valley and ridge of E TN.

Last edited by dogbane on Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mostly not here anymore.

suntzu

Post by suntzu » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:30 am

Yay.

Ellie With An Axe

Post by Ellie With An Axe » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:49 pm

If the New Madrid goes off, I suspect I will be doing one of two things:

1. Working long hours at the Red Cross to receive and shelter refugees, the numbers of which will make people look back on Katrina fondly;
2. Dying.

We discussed New Madrid and the damage it'll do when the 'big one' finally goes off, here: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... new+madrid" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's easy to get overwhelmed with data and projections of the amount and types of damage, and the projected death tolls. I watched a special on the fault line on Discovery channel a while back, then went online and learned as much as I could. I remember going to bed that night feeling kind of sick about it. I'm just sayin', when the plate(s) finally slip... we will be in for some sad and tough times.

Growing up in Little Rock in the '70s and '80s, I experienced just a few very small quakes. I have a vivid memory of when I was about 16, waking up one night because my bed suddenly shook and slid out from the wall. The morning news said there'd been a small quake on the NM fault, hundreds of miles away, but the quake IIRC was only in the realm of a 2, perhaps a 3. The thing about the NM fault is that it's sitting on top of another faultline, one that's extremely old, and that it can be felt for hundreds of miles around even when it's small, because of the makeup of the soil in the entire region. So a really big one like the ones from the early 19th century would be devastating. It was devastating then, but imagine how it would be now.

Cybrludite
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Cybrludite » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:19 pm

I'll be trying to get in touch with a good friend who lives up near Clarkesdale, Ms. in the Delta region, and hoping the levees hold long enough for her to get to the hills off to the east.
“There are only two ways to sleep well at night, be ignorant or be prepared” – Simon Black

Readiness is all. — William Shakespeare

Senectute Et Perfidia

velojym
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido

Post by velojym » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:32 pm

If/when it happens, I'd hope that we'd have finished the CH801... but I ain't gonna plan on it.
If the airport's still relatively intact, I'll grab the Cherokee and haul us outta there. Again...
ain't gonna count on it.

Probably end up bugging in with stored food and water, keeping a low profile. I'll help neighbors out
as I can, though. As I found during the last flurry of tornadoes, my neighborhood is pretty good about
pulling together.
Wouldn't it be great if all wars could be fought just by the assholes who started them?
-The Postman

blindarrow
Favorite Zombie Movies: Did someone say Bruce Campbell?

Post by blindarrow » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:53 pm

dogbane wrote:I experienced an earthquake in East Tennessee. It was around 4.0 and centered in Ooltewah, TN, which meant I was practically on top of it. I didn't know what it was until I saw on the news that it had been an earthquake. I had thought my Alaskan husky had slammed into my storm door , but he wasn't around when I looked out.

East Tennessee is full of thrust faults, illustrated by F below.

Thrust faults from space:

This map shows the distribution and magnitude of earthquakes in the Southeast. Note the heavy concentration of small and moderate strength quakes in the valley and ridge of E TN.

Also went through that one.. woke up in the middle of the night to my bed shaking like crazy; jumped out of it and immediately braced in a doorway. Lived with my mother at the time, and she slept through it. :shock:

It was a fairly strong little bugger, but didn't last long at all, nor produce any serious damage. Still scary as shit though, that's for sure. I'd say it's nothing but time til a good one rocks the region.. We'll see what happens then.
No man is so good as to be free from all evil; nor so evil as to be worth nothing.

blindarrow
Favorite Zombie Movies: Did someone say Bruce Campbell?

Post by blindarrow » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:57 pm

velojym wrote:If/when it happens, I'd hope that we'd have finished the CH801... but I ain't gonna plan on it.
If the airport's still relatively intact, I'll grab the Cherokee and haul us outta there. Again...
ain't gonna count on it.

Probably end up bugging in with stored food and water, keeping a low profile. I'll help neighbors out
as I can, though. As I found during the last flurry of tornadoes, my neighborhood is pretty good about
pulling together.
Good little kit build. Any fancypants options on it, like ER tanks or anything?
No man is so good as to be free from all evil; nor so evil as to be worth nothing.

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Post by dogbane » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:43 am

Small earthquake rattles S.C. coast

No damage or injuries were reported this morning in a minor earthquake near Charleston.

The quake was reported at 7:42 a.m., according to the National Earthquake Information Center at the Colorado-based U.S. Geological Survey. The center of the quake was about 10 miles east-southeast of Summerville, S.C., a Charleston suburb.

The quake was in the same area as the 1886 Charleston earthquake which killed more than 100 people and did $103 million damage (at today's prices).

Residents of the Charleston area reported feeling the earthquake this morning, but there were no reports of damage.
Mostly not here anymore.

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”