Iran Nukes

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

TC

Re: Iran Nukes

Post by TC » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:50 pm

Man, all these articles everyday make me feel like we'll be getting our war on again pretty soon.
Reuters wrote: Iran boosts nuclear work in bunker - diplomats

(Reuters) - Iran is believed to be expanding uranium enrichment activity deep inside a mountain, diplomatic sources said on Monday, a move likely to add to tension with Western powers that suspect Tehran is seeking nuclear weapons capability.

The move to increase sensitive nuclear work at the Fordow underground site near the Shi'ite Muslim holy city of Qom, even if expected, underlines the Islamic state's defiance in the face of intensifying Western pressure to curb such activity.

Iran last month confirmed it had begun refining uranium to a fissile concentration of 20 percent at Fordow, shifting its highest-grade enrichment from an above-ground location to better protect it against any strikes by Israel or the United States.

Washington, which has not ruled out military action against Iran if diplomacy fails to resolve the long-running nuclear dispute, on January 9 denounced the start-up of the Fordow plant as a further escalation of Iran's "ongoing violations" of U.N. resolutions.

At that time, diplomats said Iran was operating at Fordow two so-called cascades, each of 174 centrifuges - machines that spin at supersonic speed to increase the ratio of the fissile isotope. More centrifuges were being installed, they said.

Enriched uranium can have both civilian and military uses.

One Vienna-based diplomat said two more cascades, like the first pair connected with each other to make the process more efficient, had now also been deployed to enrich uranium.

"The second set of cascades is operational ... my understanding is they are both operational and (have) no problems," the diplomat said.

Another diplomat accredited to the IAEA also painted a picture of expanding activity at Fordow, without giving details.

Neither Iran nor the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), the Vienna-based U.N. agency that regularly inspects Iranian nuclear sites including Fordow, was immediately available for comment.

Iran said last year that it would transfer its highest-grade uranium refinement work to Fordow from its main enrichment plant at Natanz, and sharply boost capacity.

The decision to move work which the U.N. Security Council has called on Iran to suspend to an underground facility could further complicate diplomatic efforts to resolve the standoff peacefully...(continued at link)
KentsOkay wrote: I immediately thought about calling 911, but once we got to the T stop and got her out of her jeans, things seemed to be going a lot better.
TC's Defence of the Realm Target Download

kcor_77
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them

Post by kcor_77 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:24 pm

T.C I know how you feel.
COMMENTARY | So, it's finally official: Iran is a state-sponsor of terrorism. The word came from the mouth of Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei on Friday when he categorically announced Iran would sponsor anyone -- anywhere -- that would work against Israel.

Khamenei also admitted to helping attack Israel through third parties, something Iran officially downplays or denies, the Associated Press reported. "From now on, in any place, if any nation or any group confronts the Zionist regime, we will endorse and we will help. We have no fear expressing this," Khamenei told followers during morning prayers. More at link.http://news.yahoo.com/iran-finally-come ... 00774.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tomorrow's an illusion
Yesterday's a dream
Today is a solution

kcor_77
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them

Post by kcor_77 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:16 am

Exclusive: Iran defaults on rice payments to India
NEW DELHI (Reuters) - Iranian buyers have defaulted on payments for about 200,000 tonnes of rice from their top supplier India, exporters and rice millers said on Tuesday, a sign of the mounting pressure on Tehran from a new wave of Western sanctions.

The default prompted the head of the All India Rice Exporters' Association to call on members to stop rice exports to Iran based on credit, which would be a fresh blow to a country where imports of staple foods are already being hampered by sanctions.

"It is a serious issue and we do not rule out further payment defaults by Iran," said Vijay Setia, the association's president.

More at link.
http://news.yahoo.com/exclusive-iran-de ... 51492.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tomorrow's an illusion
Yesterday's a dream
Today is a solution

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:51 am

kcor_77 wrote:T.C I know how you feel.
COMMENTARY | So, it's finally official: Iran is a state-sponsor of terrorism. The word came from the mouth of Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei on Friday when he categorically announced Iran would sponsor anyone -- anywhere -- that would work against Israel.

Khamenei also admitted to helping attack Israel through third parties, something Iran officially downplays or denies, the Associated Press reported. "From now on, in any place, if any nation or any group confronts the Zionist regime, we will endorse and we will help. We have no fear expressing this," Khamenei told followers during morning prayers. More at link.http://news.yahoo.com/iran-finally-come ... 00774.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Other than Iran admitting this, it isn't exactly news. One factor Israel must consider is that Hezbollah and Hamas both receive arms and funding from Iran, and if Israel attacked Iran both would send a deluge of short range rockets into Israel. Last I heard, Hezbollah had been completely re-armed from before the recent war w/ Israel, and had better than 20,000 short and medium range rockets.

Syria is also a close ally or Iran, but they are a bit pre-occupied at the moment.
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

J.C.
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, 28 Days Later, Zombieland

Post by J.C. » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:41 am

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/ ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Israelis are said to believe that a military strike could be limited and contained. They would bomb the uranium-enrichment facility at Natanz and other targets; an attack on the buried enrichment facility at Qom would be harder from the air. Iranians would retaliate, but Israelis doubt that the action would be an overwhelming barrage, with rockets from Hezbollah forces in Lebanon. One Israeli estimate is that the Jewish state might have to absorb 500 casualties.
squinty wrote: Birds gotta fly, fish gotta swim, zombies gotta shuffle around and eatcher brains. Why do sharks eat divers? Why not swim around and starve to death?
Why do tornadoes zero in on trailer parks? Why not just blow around harmlessly? It's the way of the world, man.

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:38 am

J.C. wrote:http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/ ... story.html
Israelis are said to believe that a military strike could be limited and contained. They would bomb the uranium-enrichment facility at Natanz and other targets; an attack on the buried enrichment facility at Qom would be harder from the air. Iranians would retaliate, but Israelis doubt that the action would be an overwhelming barrage, with rockets from Hezbollah forces in Lebanon. One Israeli estimate is that the Jewish state might have to absorb 500 casualties.
Bold by me - that's more than they took in the previous war w/ Hezbollah, so that tells you how serious they are taking this.
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

CipherNameRaVeN
Favorite Zombie Movies: Quarantine, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later. The Road, Time of the Wolf (2004, French)

Post by CipherNameRaVeN » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:45 am

phil_in_cs wrote:
J.C. wrote:http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/ ... story.html
Bold by me - that's more than they took in the previous war w/ Hezbollah, so that tells you how serious they are taking this.
There was plenty wounded but less than 50 casualties on Israeli side.
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what to eat for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.

BOB & EDC | FAK
ImageImage

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:09 am

If "casualty" means "wounded + killed" then they see that as on par w/ the 2006 war. Per Wiki, Israel had
  • Israeli civilians:
  • 44 dead
  • 33 seriously wounded
  • 68 moderately wounded
  • 1,388 lightly wounded
  • Israel Defense Forces:
  • 121 killed
  • 628 wounded
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Lebanon_War" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

survivaljoe
Favorite Zombie Movies: All!!

Post by survivaljoe » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:27 pm

@BreakingNews: Israel working with Iranian terror group to kill Iran's nuclear scientists, US officials say - NBC News' Rock Center http://t.co/n5ZfJay5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
...It's been a while...

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:42 pm

survivaljoe wrote:@BreakingNews: Israel working with Iranian terror group to kill Iran's nuclear scientists, US officials say - NBC News' Rock Center http://t.co/n5ZfJay5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This has been "known" to anyone paying attention for a couple years - very curious why "Govt Officials" would leak this right now to make it official. Iran has been using this as an excuse to execute dissidents (alleging, perhaps correctly, that they were part of the "Zionist supported terrorists") and this report will no doubt be the big story of the day in Iran. Lots more executions to come shortly.

Valarius
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead and many of Romero's films.

Post by Valarius » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:46 pm

Breaking News: Iran Cuts Off Internet Access

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13510_3-57374 ... topStories" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Iran has cut off access to the Internet, leaving millions of people without access to email and social networks.

A source inside the country confirmed this morning that Gmail, Hotmail, and Yahoo email are no longer available. Ditto for Facebook. So far, the government has not made any announcement about the service interruption.

But cyber-sophisticated Iranians are still able to circumvent the government by using proxy servers over VPN connections.

"The interesting thing is that when asked, they deny the fact that all these services are all blocked," an Iranian contacted by CNET said. This individual asked to remain unidentified.
See you around, HK. And remember folks: victory is surviving to watch another sunrise.

My female avatar is Saeko Busujima from High School Of The Dead. I'm a dude. :mrgreen:

Homeless survival techniques.

TC

Post by TC » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:17 pm

Valarius wrote:Breaking News: Iran Cuts Off Internet Access
Interesting, I hadn't seen this and not many major news outlets seem to be reporting this yet. First I've heard about Iran's plans for an 'internal internet' too.

The frequency of news about Iran and some of the weirder aspects of it continued to unsettle me.

Here are some links to articles I've been reading (I realise that ZH isn't to everyone's tastes but I think it's another reference point to have like any other news source/blog, i.e. take from it what you will and view with a critical eye):

ZeroHedge: Playing on Iran’s Home Court: The Great Strait of Hormuz Test
Reuters: Iran turns to barter for food as sanctions cripple imports
ZeroHedge: A Very Different Take On The "Iran Barters Gold For Food" Story
KentsOkay wrote: I immediately thought about calling 911, but once we got to the T stop and got her out of her jeans, things seemed to be going a lot better.

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:50 pm

TC wrote:
Valarius wrote:Breaking News: Iran Cuts Off Internet Access
Interesting, I hadn't seen this and not many major news outlets seem to be reporting this yet. First I've heard about Iran's plans for an 'internal internet' too.

The frequency of news about Iran and some of the weirder aspects of it continued to unsettle me.
The only other stories I see on that all cite the original story at CNET. CNET is usually pretty good at tech news, but this is a big deal and odd is isn't reported by other sources. Surely the BBC or AlJ would have it?

TC

Post by TC » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:06 am

Yeah, I checked for wider reports of the story this morning and didn't find that much.

There is an article on the WP about it: Iran begins blocking access to Gmail, other sites. It seems the blocking only affects secure HTTP connections.

TOR Project also has news on it at their blog: Iran partially blocks encrypted network traffic.

ETA:
Reuters wrote: Asia giants join Iran diplomacy as sanctions hurt trade

(Reuters) - China said on Friday it would send a senior official to Tehran to discuss Iran's nuclear standoff with the West, and India indicated it would also weigh in, as Asia's two giants seek to head off new sanctions already playing havoc with trade.

New financial sanctions imposed by the United States and European Union are making it difficult for Iran to pay for staple food and other imports, causing hardship for its 74 million people with just weeks to go before an election.

Commodities traders revealed this week that Iran has resorted to barter trade - swapping gold bullion in overseas vaults or tankerloads of oil for food - to avoid payments problems in international banks over sanctions.

On the streets of Iran, prices for food in dollar terms have doubled or tripled in recent months.

In the latest evidence of trade disruption, metal traders said Iran's imports of steel for construction had collapsed because sanctions prevent buyers from obtaining the currency needed to purchase it.

The International Energy Agency, which monitors oil markets for developed countries, said on Friday EU oil sanctions and U.S. financial measures due to take effect over the course of the next several months were already hitting global trade flows.

In an analysis ominous for Tehran, the IEA also said there was enough oil supply worldwide to prevent a price shock if Iran is blockaded this year.

That makes it easier for Washington to impose harsh sanctions envisioned under a new law which requires President Barack Obama to assess the impact on energy markets before pressing ahead with its most draconian measures...(continued at link)
Reuters wrote: Iran to announce nuclear progress - Ahmadinejad

(Reuters) - Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said on Saturday the Islamic Republic would soon announce "very important" achievements in the nuclear field, state TV reported.

He was speaking on the 33rd anniversary of the Islamic revolution. Tens of thousands of Iranians joined state-organised rallies across the country to mark the occasion.

Demonstrators carrying Iranian flags and pictures of Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei chanted "Death to Israel" and "Death to America."

"In the coming days the world will witness Iran's announcement of its very important and very major nuclear achievements," Ahmadinejad told a crowd at Tehran's Azadi (Freedom) Square in a speech relayed live on state television.

He gave no details...(continued at link)

Collie of Doom

Post by Collie of Doom » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:02 am

You know, we've proven our resolve multiple times lately to engage in war and to stick to it even when it gets hairy.

My question is, do we have wherewithal and skill to avert war? I think that might be an attractive path forward in this instance. Iran doesn't only have rockets in Palestine and Israel... There's estimates that there's Hizbollah cells in Europe and even the Americas.
"You've got red on you."
- Sean of the Dead

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:34 am

Scrubbed for vetting.

Original link was an NWO (my bad for not vetting the source) type, other available links to the possible declaration of war are either political, or reposts. More research to be done in a few hours.

Instead, try this:

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-0 ... n-war.html
Bloomberg Businessweek wrote:Feb. 14 (Bloomberg) -- U.S. officials and defense analysts are concerned that a covert war of assassinations between Israel and Iran could escalate out of control.

“Things are heating up and there is a surge” of assassination attempts, said Matthew Levitt, a former U.S. Treasury Department official and now director of the Stein Program on Counterterrorism and Intelligence at the Washington Institute for Near East Policy, in a telephone interview.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu yesterday blamed Iran for car bombings of Israeli diplomatic vehicles in New Delhi and the Georgian capital of Tbilisi. The attacks come after the deaths of several Iranian nuclear scientists, the most recent in a Jan. 11 car bombing in Tehran that Iran said Israel had orchestrated.

Israeli leaders have said time is running out for sanctions to deter Iran from developing nuclear weapons and have not ruled out a military strike. The U.S. and its allies have tightened economic restrictions on Iran while seeking to avert a military conflagration in a region that holds more than half of global oil reserves....
More at the link.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

TC

Post by TC » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:10 pm

The Telegraph wrote: Israel blames Iran for Bangkok blasts

Israel's defence minister has accused Iran of being behind a bombing that rocked a crowded residential area of Bangkok on Tuesday.

An Iranian man was critically injured by his own bomb in a series of blasts, raising fears he and two countrymen accomplices had planned an attack just a day after operations against Israeli diplomats in India and Georgia.

Ehud Barak said Tuesday's explosion "proves once again that Iran and its proxies continue to perpetrate terror".

He said that Iran and its Lebanese ally Hizbollah are "unrelenting terror elements endangering the stability of the region and endangering the stability of the world".

"We know who carried out the terror attacks, we know who sent them, and Israel will settle the score with them," he said.

The man blew both his legs off when he tried to escape police by throwing a grenade at pursuing officers, but it bounced off a tree and he was caught by the full force of the blast.

Two other Iranians fled on foot and one was arrested later at Bangkok’s international Suvarnabhumi airport as he tried to leave the country. Thai intelligence and security forces continued their hunt for the third man.

Four Thais, three men and a woman, were injured in the explosions which took place in a rented house and on a busy road in the south-east of the city shortly after lunchtime.

Thailand’s foreign minister is to ask the Iranian embassy to investigate the identities of the three men to discover what they were doing in the country and whether they had any links to terrorist groups...(continued at link)
Why? Why did this happen? Why now? These are the questions that I haven't been able to help but ask since hearing of this story. Granted I don't know all of the details of Thai-Iranian relations but it strikes me as odd that this has occurred the day after the bombs in India and Georgia.

I hope my tinfoil isn't too tight but my suspiciously-weirdometer has been activated and is swinging more each day...

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:35 pm

TC wrote: Why? Why did this happen? Why now? These are the questions that I haven't been able to help but ask since hearing of this story. Granted I don't know all of the details of Thai-Iranian relations but it strikes me as odd that this has occurred the day after the bombs in India and Georgia.

I hope my tinfoil isn't too tight but my suspiciously-weirdometer has been activated and is swinging more each day...
This one is tit for tat for the Iranian scientist killed the other week. They are hitting Israelis outside of Israel as the security isn't as tight. Nothing more (or less) than that.

TC

Post by TC » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:29 pm

phil_in_cs wrote:
TC wrote: Why? Why did this happen? Why now? These are the questions that I haven't been able to help but ask since hearing of this story. Granted I don't know all of the details of Thai-Iranian relations but it strikes me as odd that this has occurred the day after the bombs in India and Georgia.

This one is tit for tat for the Iranian scientist killed the other week. They are hitting Israelis outside of Israel as the security isn't as tight. Nothing more (or less) than that.
Why are they doing it in such a cack-handed way then? It seems strange to me that, if they are indeed government sponsored terrorists acting in vengeance for Israeli efforts to bump off members of their nuclear program, they have gone about it in such a way that is so ineffective seeing as how they would have plenty of funding and experience available to them.

For what appears to be a coordinated series of attacks, none have yet been successful at anything other than blowing some cars up and injuring a few bystanders, not their intended Israeli targets.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not about to start running around talking about some sort of Mossad false flag conspiracy. I just find it strange that Iran would strike back in such a pathetic way considering that they are POed about their scientists being assassinated and that they have the resources to perpetrate far better organised attacks.

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:49 pm

TC wrote:
phil_in_cs wrote:

Why are they doing it in such a cack-handed way then? It seems strange to me that, if they are indeed government sponsored terrorists acting in vengeance for Israeli efforts to bump off members of their nuclear program, they have gone about it in such a way that is so ineffective seeing as how they would have plenty of funding and experience available to them.

For what appears to be a coordinated series of attacks, none have yet been successful at anything other than blowing some cars up and injuring a few bystanders, not their intended Israeli targets.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not about to start running around talking about some sort of Mossad false flag conspiracy. I just find it strange that Iran would strike back in such a pathetic way considering that they are POed about their scientists being assassinated and that they have the resources to perpetrate far better organised attacks.
Here's some speculation in The Atlantic
http://www.theatlantic.com/internationa ... ic/253055/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

g0nz0

Post by g0nz0 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:36 pm

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has announced the country has begun loading domestically produced nuclear fuel rods into a research reactor near Tehran.
RT:Iran steps up its nuclear program

Collie of Doom

Post by Collie of Doom » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:44 pm

TC wrote:
phil_in_cs wrote:

They'll probably get better. The Iraq insurgency's first few dozen IEDs were laughable. They eventually got to the point where they could kill everyone in an uparmored HUMVEE, or 3 dozen people in a crowded market or mosque.
"You've got red on you."
- Sean of the Dead

Collie of Doom

Post by Collie of Doom » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:10 pm

phil_in_cs wrote:
TC wrote:
phil_in_cs wrote:

Here's some speculation in The Atlantic
http://www.theatlantic.com/internationa ... ic/253055/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That was a good read, and an interesting take on the matter. . .
"You've got red on you."
- Sean of the Dead

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:16 pm

Collie of Doom wrote:
TC wrote:
phil_in_cs wrote:

They'll probably get better. The Iraq insurgency's first few dozen IEDs were laughable. They eventually got to the point where they could kill everyone in an uparmored HUMVEE, or 3 dozen people in a crowded market or mosque.
Here's a good question:

Coalition governments claimed that the insurgency in Iraq was funded and trained by Iran for years. If so, wouldn't Iran have ready access to people experienced in building effective IEDs?
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”