Iran Nukes

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Iran Nukes

Post by phil_in_cs » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:04 pm

kcor_77 wrote:Iran knows it is in trouble because of the sanctions that will be imposed upon them. I think that they would block the strait to get back at us. If they block the strait even for a short time would drive gas prices up and further hurt the global economy and recovery. This is just my opinion of course.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?
I think that if they attempt to block the Straights, everyone and their brother that would like like see woe, despair, and agony rain down upon Iran will commence to rain woe, despair, and agony down upon Iran. Iran's air defenses are better than Iraq's were - they might even see something on radar before they are destroyed. Recall a couple years ago when Israel hit a Syrian site way inland on the Iraqi border, that was guarded by just installed state of the art Russian anti aircraft batteries, and the first the Syrians knew of the attack was when they heard the bombs going off? Iran has 10x as much of the same ineffective radar.

I think Iran understands this. They are seeking a buy off like NK has gotten many times. If what they do drives up the price of oil, well gosh, that's more money in Iran's pocket anyway.

My $0.26, the inflation adjusted rate.
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:40 pm

kcor_77 wrote:Iran knows it is in trouble because of the sanctions that will be imposed upon them. I think that they would block the strait to get back at us. If they block the strait even for a short time would drive gas prices up and further hurt the global economy and recovery. This is just my opinion of course.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?
It's a gamble on Iran's part. a lot of shipping other than oil goes through those straits, some of it drinking water and food. If they want to piss off the entire region, closing the strait would be the way to do it.
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

kcor_77
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them

Post by kcor_77 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:54 pm

I guess I'm trying to figure out there angle on this. What can they gain from blocking the strait? They will not make any more friends by doing this and lose a few allies if they do.

Most of that area's food is imported, I have been in the middle east enough to know this. I could only try to picture what is going on in the other countries that might have all of there imports and exports cut off.

Like DarkAxle said
If they want to piss off the entire region, closing the strait would be the way to do it.
Tomorrow's an illusion
Yesterday's a dream
Today is a solution

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:06 pm

Honestly, just by making the threat, Iran destabilized the region and affected gas prices.

In essence, it could be a grand middle finger to the world over the sanctions. Iran threatens to shut down the strait. Investors the world over get nervous. Oil prices go up and national economies dependent on petroleum drop a little. They hurt the rest of the world, and all they did was a few military tests and naval exercises and made some threats. They really haven't DONE anything to piss off neighbors, yet. At least overtly.
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:17 pm

kcor_77 wrote:I guess I'm trying to figure out there angle on this. What can they gain from blocking the strait? They will not make any more friends by doing this and lose a few allies if they do.
The 12th Imam isn't phrophesied to return until there is war and great strife. Iran (or atleast the ones running the show over there) have said over and over again that it is their goal to bring about that prophecy.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

kcor_77

Post by kcor_77 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:31 pm

RickOShea wrote:
kcor_77 wrote:I guess I'm trying to figure out there angle on this. What can they gain from blocking the strait? They will not make any more friends by doing this and lose a few allies if they do.
The 12th Imam isn't phrophesied to return until there is war and great strife. Iran (or atleast the ones running the show over there) have said over and over again that it is their goal to bring about that prophecy.
So your saying they are building a doomsday day device to make sure it happens. :lol:
DarkAxel wrote:Honestly, just by making the threat, Iran destabilized the region and affected gas prices.

In essence, it could be a grand middle finger to the world over the sanctions. Iran threatens to shut down the strait. Investors the world over get nervous. Oil prices go up and national economies dependent on petroleum drop a little. They hurt the rest of the world, and all they did was a few military tests and naval exercises and made some threats. They really haven't DONE anything to piss off neighbors, yet. At least overtly.

Your right about hurting the rest of the world. I can see where this would benefit them a lot in the short term. In the long run wouldn't Iran and the people suffer more from this type of bluffing by sending there customers somewhere else?
Tomorrow's an illusion
Yesterday's a dream
Today is a solution

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:44 pm

kcor_77 wrote:
RickOShea wrote:
So your saying they are building a doomsday day device to make sure it happens. :lol:
Nope, I'm saying that some in their government are prepared to do whatever it takes, even if it means the total destruction of their country and everyone in it, to bring about the prophecy.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

kcor_77

Post by kcor_77 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:03 am

I can't comment about the prophecy thing as really i just don't understand it. I also would break the rules by talking about it. Anyway thanks for your opinions on this off to do some research on this.
Tomorrow's an illusion
Yesterday's a dream
Today is a solution

Horatio_Tyllis
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead 2004
Special Dead
Dead before Dawn 3d

Post by Horatio_Tyllis » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:40 am

China and Russia Denounce US Dollar http://www.itmtrading.com/blog/2010/11/ ... us-dollar/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Are Russia and China ready to play a new Great Game? http://hotair.com/greenroom/archives/20 ... reat-game/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Russia and China warn America against Iran strike as tensions rise ahead of damning atomic agency report http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -rise.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Russia and NATO are Building Up Forces Off the Coast of Syria http://uscitizens-united.com/opinion-ne ... -syri.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Winter driving guide: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=82858" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zimmy wrote:Intelligent safety conscious fireman snuffing telekinetic golems?
Our heroes are doomed without Gyrojet pistols firing antimatter tipped rockets!

J.C.
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, 28 Days Later, Zombieland

Post by J.C. » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:01 pm

Horatio_Tyllis wrote:China and Russia Denounce US Dollar http://www.itmtrading.com/blog/2010/11/ ... us-dollar/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Uhm, that is from 2010.
squinty wrote: Birds gotta fly, fish gotta swim, zombies gotta shuffle around and eatcher brains. Why do sharks eat divers? Why not swim around and starve to death?
Why do tornadoes zero in on trailer parks? Why not just blow around harmlessly? It's the way of the world, man.

angelofwar
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, I Am Legend

Post by angelofwar » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:34 am

And they strike again...what makes Iran think these guys are going to give up???

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-16501566
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts..."
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... w#p2141127

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:37 am

angelofwar wrote:And they strike again...what makes Iran think these guys are going to give up???

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-16501566
The assassination campaign has been on going for years, and the idea that it is happening deep inside Iran shows that whomever is doing this has deeply penetrated Iran on a physical basis, not just electronically or via drones and satellite photos.
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:03 pm

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340 ... 25,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Longer story from an Israeli paper that has more back story about this and the previous assassinations.

von Clausewitz said word to the effect that the difference between war and politics was the rate at which people are getting killed. So far, the rate is low, but people are getting killed in this war already. All sides are playing for keeps here.

kcor_77

Post by kcor_77 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:38 pm

Authoritarian allies President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad of Iran and Hugo Chavez of Venezuela had a serious diplomatic meeting in Caracas on Monday, but they lightened up the conversation with jokes about having a "big atomic bomb" at their disposal.

The fiercely anti-American autocrats, who say they are united against "Yankee imperialism," also mocked U.S. worries about the strengthening relationship between their two countries.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/279600/ ... c-bomb.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tomorrow's an illusion
Yesterday's a dream
Today is a solution

pirro

Post by pirro » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:44 pm

So the gov of israel got the blame on this one. Isnt this attack the same as a declaration of war?.

Saludos.
though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I am the baddest mother fucker in the God damn valley

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:52 pm

pirro wrote:So the gov of israel got the blame on this one. Isnt this attack the same as a declaration of war?.

Saludos.
Been going on for years. Declaring wars is so 20th century, anyway.

Collie of Doom

Post by Collie of Doom » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:09 pm

RickOShea wrote:
However, there's been no shortage of war and strife in the sunny Middle East since the 12th Iman, Peace Be Upon Him or What Have You, went into occultation. Least of all directly after that storied event.
"You've got red on you."
- Sean of the Dead

doitnstyle1
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road, The Book of Eli, After the Dark

Post by doitnstyle1 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:08 pm

I don't know about the veracity of the source but:

http://m.yahoo.com/w/news_asia/terroris ... lang=en-in" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Terrorists' cyber super-weapon sparks doomsday fear
By Indo Asian News Service | IANS - Tue, Dec 6, 2011

London, Dec 6 (IANS) A computer virus which could spark a global doomsday may have fallen into terrorists' hands, The Sun reported Tuesday.

Stuxnet, dubbed the world's first cyber super-weapon, is thought to have been used to cripple Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's nuclear programme.

But now it is feared Iranians have discovered the deadly bug and are planning revenge attacks using terror networks, the newspaper said citing scientists.

The 'worm' virus can cripple computers running everything from traffic lights to the electricity grid. It can even stop water flowing to taps.

Virus expert Ralph Langner - who recently warned US leaders about the threat - said: 'There's now no way we can stop the proliferation of cyber-weapons.'

'Rogue states and terrorists will soon be able to use them.'
"All religious stuff aside, the fact is people who can't kill will always be subject to those who can." - Brad "Iceman" Colbert, Generation Kill

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:14 pm

I am not sure that exact virus is as big of a threat as they say it is. However, honestly the latest pandemic I do fear is a computer virus(es) that attacks infrastructure like traffic lights, electrical grids, communication networks and financial institutions.

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:45 pm

Stuxnet has been public since it was released. Takes very smart boys to operate, and importantly, was designed to do specific things to specific equipment. There are much more adaptable computer viruses out there for more generalized mayhem.

angelofwar
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, I Am Legend

Post by angelofwar » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:47 pm

Two more carrier groups en-route...this could get interesting...

I will be MORE THAN HAPPY to perform my job, and knock these guys down in the dirt...
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts..."
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... w#p2141127

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:16 pm

angelofwar wrote:Two more carrier groups en-route...this could get interesting...

I will be MORE THAN HAPPY to perform my job, and knock these guys down in the dirt...
Chuckie and Abe are going to replace Johnny Reb:

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/220613.html

Big and Daft

Post by Big and Daft » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:28 pm

doitnstyle1 wrote:The Sun reported Tuesday.
There's your problem.

The Sun is a tabloid and not the most reliable of sources, they like to enhance the truth to sell more papers.
I wouldn't trust any information they were publishing unless I saw it from a different source.

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:43 pm

Big and Daft wrote:
doitnstyle1 wrote:The Sun reported Tuesday.
There's your problem.

The Sun is a tabloid and not the most reliable of sources, they like to enhance the truth to sell more papers.
I wouldn't trust any information they were publishing unless I saw it from a different source.
No wonder the information they're reporting as "ZOMG DANGEROUS NEW DEVELOPMENTS" is year+ old public information. Of course Iranians discovered it, their entire system was shut down by it. That's like shooting someone on national television and then reporting a year later that the person you shot has "Discovered new projectile weapon technology!".
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”