Mexico becoming a failed state?

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Stercutus

Re: Mexico becoming a failed state?

Post by Stercutus » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:58 am

She looks like a real sweetheart too:

You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Zombie Hunter C

Post by Zombie Hunter C » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:40 pm

Huh, I was under the impression it was on track to have the 7th largest economy by this decade's end? Of course, I suppose the two aren't mutually exclusive.

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:59 pm

Zombie Hunter C wrote:Huh, I was under the impression it was on track to have the 7th largest economy by this decade's end? Of course, I suppose the two aren't mutually exclusive.
This was posted sometimes back, and has an answer to your question:
http://globalguerrillas.typepad.com/glo ... tates.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Post by dogbane » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:01 pm

11 kidnapped from a bar in broad laylight in Mexico City's popular Zona Rosa neighborhood (near the U.S. embassy and in my mom's old neighborhood):
http://abcnews.go.com/International/wir ... s-19305956" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mostly not here anymore.

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:27 pm

Just 5 years ago Mexico City was still a neutral zone for the drug factions. From what I had heard they had agreed to Mexico City being off limits and politicians being untouchable.
No gangs would start influencing the national politicians.

I guess thats all over with.

Rugger

Post by Rugger » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:48 pm

dogbane wrote:11 kidnapped from a bar in broad laylight in Mexico City's popular Zona Rosa neighborhood (near the U.S. embassy and in my mom's old neighborhood):
http://abcnews.go.com/International/wir ... s-19305956" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:shock: WOW!!!! That story reads like the opening to an international spy thriller. Malcolm X's grandson, broad daylight kidnapping of two kids by heavily armed guys in SUV's, one of the kid's dad is called "The Tank", now a complete denial of any kidnapping taking place by the kids moms (yet not kiddos returned), and ZERO witnesses on a crowded street ?!?! Yeah, this was in Mexico City, but so glad I live on the border. :? The "trunk gun" is about to replace the pistol, and become a "chambered front seat rifle".
*WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological or emotional damage sustained by the reader is NOT the responsibility of the contributor.
Image Red Wire Rules!!

BigDaddyTX

Post by BigDaddyTX » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:20 pm

Rugger wrote:
dogbane wrote:11 kidnapped from a bar in broad laylight in Mexico City's popular Zona Rosa neighborhood (near the U.S. embassy and in my mom's old neighborhood):
:shock: WOW!!!! That story reads like the opening to an international spy thriller. Malcolm X's grandson, broad daylight kidnapping of two kids by heavily armed guys in SUV's, one of the kid's dad is called "The Tank", now a complete denial of any kidnapping taking place by the kids moms (yet not kiddos returned), and ZERO witnesses on a crowded street ?!?! Yeah, this was in Mexico City, but so glad I live on the border. :? The "trunk gun" is about to replace the pistol, and become a "chambered front seat rifle".
Ehh.. I don't live anywhere near the Tex/Mex border(6 hours +/-), but I wouldn't feel much more or less comfortable if I did. However, given how there are plenty of stories of spillover, I can see how that would suck and can't fault you.

Can we carry a concealed rifle up front just like a pistol? I know I can OC my rifle, and I can certainly keep it loaded in the trunk, but when I read the laws they talk about pistols IIRC. Maybe it's just concealed weapon.. hmm..
mzmadmike wrote: I may even buy another semiautomatic assault weapon rambo killing machine for my small penis, with lots of large capacity non-reusable clips full of armor piercing incendiary mercury tracer poisoned explosive hollowpoint glaser black talons

Rugger

Post by Rugger » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:33 am

BigDaddyTX wrote: Ehh.. I don't live anywhere near the Tex/Mex border(6 hours +/-), but I wouldn't feel much more or less comfortable if I did. However, given how there are plenty of stories of spillover, I can see how that would suck and can't fault you.

Can we carry a concealed rifle up front just like a pistol? I know I can OC my rifle, and I can certainly keep it loaded in the trunk, but when I read the laws they talk about pistols IIRC. Maybe it's just concealed weapon.. hmm..
OC of rifles in the vehicle is ok, in Texas. I've verified it with local and state LEO's, but don't take my word for it, look it up or ask for yourself.

For the most part, I live and work in Eagle Pass. Not quite as bad as Laredo, but not too far off. When highways along the border get shut down because of shoot outs on the other side of the border, it's pretty bad.
*WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological or emotional damage sustained by the reader is NOT the responsibility of the contributor.
Image Red Wire Rules!!

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:52 am

Rugger wrote:
BigDaddyTX wrote: Ehh.. I don't live anywhere near the Tex/Mex border(6 hours +/-), but I wouldn't feel much more or less comfortable if I did. However, given how there are plenty of stories of spillover, I can see how that would suck and can't fault you.

OC of rifles in the vehicle is ok, in Texas. I've verified it with local and state LEO's, but don't take my word for it, look it up or ask for yourself.

For the most part, I live and work in Eagle Pass. Not quite as bad as Laredo, but not too far off. When highways along the border get shut down because of shoot outs on the other side of the border, it's pretty bad.
I was chatting w/ Sharky on FB one morning and he said he could hear beltfeds across the river in Matamoros. They closed UTB while he was there a few times due to rounds coming across.
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

Rugger

Post by Rugger » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:36 am

phil_in_cs wrote:
Rugger wrote:

I was chatting w/ Sharky on FB one morning and he said he could hear beltfeds across the river in Matamoros. They closed UTB while he was there a few times due to rounds coming across.
Several months ago they shut down Hwy 277 for several hours, between Quemado and 131, diverting traffic around on some county and farmtomarket roads. One of the participants made it across the river and was taken to the hospital in Del Rio with multiple gunshot wounds.

Then there was the big prison break in Piedras Negras. That had everybody really on edge for a while. Several have been caught on this side of the river. Scary stuff.
Image Red Wire Rules!!

GP11

Post by GP11 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:41 pm

BigDaddyTX wrote:Can we carry a concealed rifle up front just like a pistol? I know I can OC my rifle, and I can certainly keep it loaded in the trunk, but when I read the laws they talk about pistols IIRC. Maybe it's just concealed weapon.. hmm..
No restrictions at all about how you carry a long gun in your vehicle in Texas. Concealed, open, in the trunk or on the seat beside you chambered--it's all good.
"That's what governments are for--get in a man's way."
-Mal Reynolds

BigDaddyTX

Post by BigDaddyTX » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:26 pm

Damn. I rescind my statement about not being worried. Even reading this thread I didn't realize it was that bad.
mzmadmike wrote: I may even buy another semiautomatic assault weapon rambo killing machine for my small penis, with lots of large capacity non-reusable clips full of armor piercing incendiary mercury tracer poisoned explosive hollowpoint glaser black talons

dogbane

Post by dogbane » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:57 am

A couple of items:
Mexico Rescues 275 Workers From 'Slavery' At Tomato Plant In Toliman

Mexican authorities have rescued at least 275 people who were being held in slave-like conditions at a camp where tomatoes are sorted and packed for export, officials said.

Thirty-nine teenagers were among those being held against their will at the Bioparques de Occidente camp in Toliman, in the western state of Jalisco, regional prosecutor Salvador Gonzalez said late Tuesday.

Five foremen were arrested for "grave violations and crimes, including the illegal privation of liberty and human trafficking," Gonzalez told AFP.

The victims were rescued when a worker escaped and made it to the state capital Jalisco to file a complaint.

Gonzalez said the contractors ran ads on the radio seeking workers, and offered room and board.

But when the workers arrived they found themselves in overcrowded housing and were paid half of what had been offered, much of it delivered in vouchers redeemable at the company store, where items were sold at a high markup.

One of the victims, Valentin Hernandez, went to work at the site with his wife and children. He told AFP he was housed in a tiny room with two other couples who also had children.

"The food was rancid and rotten. They held us as slaves," Hernandez said.

"They told us that we could leave if we wanted to, but they didn't let us. They would hide our belongings and threaten us to stay. And if someone tried to escape and they were discovered, they were brought back and beaten."

Gonzalez said as many as 280 people may have been held against their will at the site.
A chart showing that, in 2012, Mexico was third behind Syria and Libya in the number of "Military and civilian deaths as a result of a conflict between two parties, at least one of which is the government of a state": http://media.economist.com/sites/defaul ... c778_0.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mostly not here anymore.

works4dhs
Favorite Zombie Movies: I Walked with a Zombie

Post by works4dhs » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:07 pm

Morris el Gato is a mayoral candidate in Xalapa, Mexico.
Morris is a cat.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013 ... exico?lite" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Search around Facebook and you will find a hen running for mayor of Tepic; a St. Bernard who wants to tackle corruption in Oaxaca City; and a donkey who is trying to bray his way into Ciudad Juarez's mayoral palace with the slogan "It's better to have an ass for mayor, than a mayor who's an ass."
The pets were elevated to candidacy, of course, by the humans who run their Facebook pages and create dozens of catchy campaign catchphrases. But these gimmicks aren't all just fun and games.
Campaigners for these animal candidates say they are frustrated with corrupt politicians who have failed to make a difference in their towns. They also say that voters who do not identify with any of Mexico's human candidates can send a signal to the nation's ruling class by voting for an animal instead."

they're getting tired of politix as usual down there, and responding with mockery.
"God is not afraid of the 21st Century. He knew it was coming."
Rev. T. Shawyer

dogbane

Post by dogbane » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:25 am

Another tunnel discovered between Tijuana and San Diego: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-24760728" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mostly not here anymore.

dogbane

Post by dogbane » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:41 am

A truck carrying medical radioactive material has been stolen in Mexico, the UN's nuclear watchdog says.

Mexico told the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) that the truck was carrying a "dangerous radioactive source" used for cancer treatments when it was stolen on Monday.

The radiotherapy source was being taken from a hospital in the northern city of Tijuana to a waste storage centre.

It was stolen near the capital, Mexico City.

Mexico's Nuclear Security Commission said that at the time of the theft, the cobalt-60 teletherapy source was "properly shielded".

But the commission warned it could be "extremely dangerous to a person if removed from the shielding, or if it was damaged".

Local media reported that the truck, a 2.5-tonne Volkswagen Worker, was stolen by armed men at a petrol station in Tepojaco, on the outskirts of Mexico City on Monday morning.

Mexican police are currently conducting a search for the truck and its contents and have issued a press release to alert the public of its potential dangers.

Experts have long warned about the danger posed by radioactive material used for medical treatments and research in hospitals.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-a ... #FBM315701" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mostly not here anymore.

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:35 am

dogbane wrote:
A truck carrying medical radioactive material has been stolen in Mexico, the UN's nuclear watchdog says.

Mexico told the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) that the truck was carrying a "dangerous radioactive source" used for cancer treatments when it was stolen on Monday.

The radiotherapy source was being taken from a hospital in the northern city of Tijuana to a waste storage centre.

It was stolen near the capital, Mexico City.

Mexico's Nuclear Security Commission said that at the time of the theft, the cobalt-60 teletherapy source was "properly shielded".

But the commission warned it could be "extremely dangerous to a person if removed from the shielding, or if it was damaged".

Local media reported that the truck, a 2.5-tonne Volkswagen Worker, was stolen by armed men at a petrol station in Tepojaco, on the outskirts of Mexico City on Monday morning.

Mexican police are currently conducting a search for the truck and its contents and have issued a press release to alert the public of its potential dangers.

Experts have long warned about the danger posed by radioactive material used for medical treatments and research in hospitals.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-a ... #FBM315701" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm 50/50 on it. It could have been a simple truck hijacking, with the gang having no clue what they were stealing. If it was pre-planned by some cartel or terrorist organization to make a dirty bomb, I don't think they know what they are doing. A dirty bomb going off is more of an "Area Denial" more than anything. The explosive bomb blast and shock wave of a dirty bomb is the only thing that causes injury and death, once the radioactive material is dispersed its not enough radiation to cause severe illness or death. Beyond those hurt and killed in the blast, it would just be an additional PITA of decontaminating anyone nearby who was exposed to the material and the area itself would be a "no go" mini Chernobyl site until decontamination was completed. Even without de-contamination, if you are uninjured from the blast zone, but you are exposed to the radioactive debris and walking around the area for years, you could still end up fine. You will be exposed to "Higher than normal" radioactivity but other than maybe having a low sperm count and a higher possibility of developing cancer you will be fine.

I think robbing radioactive medical waste to build a dirty bomb, and the "heat" it will bring is simply not worth it to a Cartel or a Narco-terrorist. If its al-Qaeda, maybe, but they still have to get it over the border, somewhere in the USA were they can make a statement and set it off. That still a long way from Mexico City.

At the end of the day, I'm thinking the banditos popped open the back of the truck, hoping the truck was filled with pain drugs or something they could sell and that saw this.

They are probably going to let out a few choice curse words, and abandon it in some back alley.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirty_bomb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Iowa_guy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by Iowa_guy » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:06 pm

Makes you wonder if the US will ask to intervene and go after the material. Although it is heavily shielded I would suspect it is giving off higher than background levels and could be tracked. Either way this goes the thieves bit off WAY more than they can chew.

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:13 pm

Iowa_guy wrote:Makes you wonder if the US will ask to intervene and go after the material. Although it is heavily shielded I would suspect it is giving off higher than background levels and could be tracked. Either way this goes the thieves bit off WAY more than they can chew.
The article mentioned the "Mexico's Nuclear Security Commission" I wonder how well equipped and good they are? If they can't handle it I have no doubt some of the agencies in the USA will get a phone call to help out.

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:41 pm

dogbane wrote:
IAEA news page here (little more info than the BBC article):
http://www.iaea.org/newscenter/news/201 ... ource.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a tricky one. Radiotherapy sources have to have enough radioactive material in them to be dangerous, Mexico's had a similar previous incident of this nature, and Co-60 has a long enough half-life that even "old" sources are still significantly radioactive (unlike, say, Ir-192 where a source 10 years old is approaching "harmless"). On the other hand they're pretty hard to weaponise and, as mentioned, once dispersed they're more of an area-denial weapon than anything else.

From a US perspective, you have a reasonable array of entry monitors and these should catch any casual import of the source to the US. Of course clever Bad Guys might be aware of these and smuggle it via an unmonitored route ...
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:08 am

Called It! Truck and material was found abandoned in a parking lot 25 miles away from where it was stolen.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/04/world/ame ... ive-theft/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Iowa_guy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by Iowa_guy » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:58 am

Mikeyboy wrote:Called It! Truck and material was found abandoned in a parking lot 25 miles away from where it was stolen.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/04/world/ame ... ive-theft/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And in about 3 days they are going to find the ass clowns that opened it. Probably dead in a ditch or wishing they were dead.

gundogs

Post by gundogs » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:21 am

Mikeyboy wrote:Called It! Truck and material was found abandoned in a parking lot 25 miles away from where it was stolen.

Big news about this tiny amount of rad material,yet not a peep from the MSM about ongoing problems with Fukoshima

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:09 pm

gundogs wrote:

Big news about this tiny amount of rad material,yet not a peep from the MSM about ongoing problems with Fukoshima
https://www.google.com/search?q=fukushi ... ox&ie=&oe=

BBC had a story about it one day ago. RT as well. I could keep going but the point is that there is quite a bit mroe than a "peep."
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”