Mexico becoming a failed state?

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

gundogs

Re: Mexico becoming a failed state?

Post by gundogs » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:15 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
gundogs wrote:
Mikeyboy wrote:Called It! Truck and material was found abandoned in a parking lot 25 miles away from where it was stolen.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/04/world/ame ... ive-theft/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Big news about this tiny amount of rad material,yet not a peep from the MSM about ongoing problems with Fukoshima
https://www.google.com/search?q=fukushi ... ox&ie=&oe=

BBC had a story about it one day ago. RT as well. I could keep going but the point is that there is quite a bit mroe than a "peep."
OK,I should have clarified and said the American MSM---not Brit or Russian.
My local paper and TV serves an area of 300,000---I've seen nothing about Fukoshima in a long time

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:21 pm

gundogs wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
gundogs wrote:
Mikeyboy wrote:Called It! Truck and material was found abandoned in a parking lot 25 miles away from where it was stolen.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/04/world/ame ... ive-theft/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Big news about this tiny amount of rad material,yet not a peep from the MSM about ongoing problems with Fukoshima

BBC had a story about it one day ago. RT as well. I could keep going but the point is that there is quite a bit mroe than a "peep."
My local paper and TV serves a city of 150,000---I've seen nothing about Fukoshima in a long time
Maybe you should have actually clicked the link. Third on the page: http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/04/world/asi ... pco-coren/ from eleven hours ago. if you search specifically for news instead of just the word "fukushima" you get all kinds of stuff. Forbes, Reuters, etc.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

gundogs

Post by gundogs » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:01 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
gundogs wrote:
gundogs wrote:

My local paper and TV serves a city of 150,000---I've seen nothing about Fukoshima in a long time
Maybe you should have actually clicked the link. Third on the page: http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/04/world/asi ... pco-coren/ from eleven hours ago. if you search specifically for news instead of just the word "fukushima" you get all kinds of stuff. Forbes, Reuters, etc.[/quote]

To me MSM--Main Stream Media- is what we get when we watch the news or read a newspaper---not search for stuff around on the web.

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Post by dogbane » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:08 pm

So: if it's broadcast on CNN's cable channel, it's MSM; if I find it on the CNN website because I'm looking for it, it's not MSM?

:?

Since I don't have a TV or get the newspaper, I am certifiably MSM-free! :awesome:
Mostly not here anymore.

gundogs

Post by gundogs » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:18 pm

dogbane wrote:So: if it's broadcast on CNN's cable channel, it's MSM; if I find it on the CNN website because I'm looking for it, it's not MSM?

Since I don't have a TV or get the newspaper, I am certifiably MSM-free! :awesome:
From prior experience with you, I think you are now baiting me.
I think you know what the commonly accepted definition of MSM is

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:40 pm

gundogs wrote:
dogbane wrote:So: if it's broadcast on CNN's cable channel, it's MSM; if I find it on the CNN website because I'm looking for it, it's not MSM?

From prior experience with you, I think you are now baiting me.
I think you know what the commonly accepted definition of MSM is
I think you hold a minority view.
Mainstream media (MSM) are those media disseminated via the largest distribution channels, which therefore represent what the majority of media consumers are likely to encounter. The term also denotes those media generally reflective of the prevailing currents of thought, influence, or activity.[1]
ETA again: newpapers are a minority distribution compared to teh interwebz, and by the mainstream definition of mainstream media, would not fall under "largest distribution channels."

Doesn't reference how it's delivered. Good to know that CNN.com isn't mainstream media though, even though they delivery the same news with the same bias.

ETA: Sorry, forgot why I even came to post here.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/sto ... story.html
TL:DR the thieves were believed to be after medical supplies like drugs, removed the cobalt 60 from the shielding, and will likely die painfully.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:25 pm

Oh look, two Partisans fighting

I find it funny (and not ha-ha funny) that trucks driving around with radioactive material, that could be used to make a dirty bomb, don't have GPS tracking. I know its Mexico and all, but come on.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:54 pm

There was an article in the LA Times this week about how the drug mafia is demanding money from the Catholic institutions, threatening bodily harm if they don't pay up.
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:07 pm

gundogs wrote:Big news about this tiny amount of rad material
http://www.iaea.org/newscenter/news/201 ... urce2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
3000 Curies, 111 TBq is not a "tiny amount". It's very roughly 0.1% of the total release to date from Fukushima Daiichi, it's 6-year half-life Co-60 note not 8-day half-life I-131 and rather than being dispersed through several cubic miles of air or water it was all in the back of one truck.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:08 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:TL:DR the thieves were believed to be after medical supplies like drugs, removed the cobalt 60 from the shielding, and will likely die painfully.
Yup. Sucks to be them.

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:52 pm

cnn wrote: Mexican forces struggle to rein in armed vigilantes battling drug cartel

(CNN) -- The vigilantes came to violence-torn towns with a simple pitch: Join us and fight back before the cartel kills you.

For some in the western state of Michoacan, long a flashpoint in Mexico's drug war, it was an offer they couldn't refuse.

They toted guns and called themselves self-defense groups as they patrolled the streets, claiming they were forced to fight the Knights Templar cartel themselves because the state had failed to protect them.

They took over several communities and sent a clear message to cartel members and authorities: Keep out.

But this week, the Mexican government stepped in, sending federal forces to the region and ordering the vigilante groups to lay down their weapons.

The smoldering situation has become a major problem for President Enrique Peña Nieto's government, which has vowed to reduce drug violence.

In some areas, it hasn't gone smoothly, with both sides refusing to back down in tense standoffs.

Mexican soldiers clashed with self-defense group members Tuesday in the town of Antunez, killing at least one person. And even as federal troops patrolled the city of Apatzingan, tensions ran high after a pharmacy burned down in a suspected arson attack just blocks away from City Hall on Wednesday.

By Thursday, Mexican authorities said they'd gained control of 20 municipalities in the region. But a top security official said he couldn't set a date guaranteeing when the state would be safe.

Some vigilante groups have vowed not to hand over their guns until cartel leaders are captured.

More at link
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:45 am

photo essay in AlJ about the local fighters resisting the cartels. This has applications to any PAW situation you want to imagine
http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/inpict ... 19560.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:22 am

phil_in_cs wrote:photo essay in AlJ about the local fighters resisting the cartels. This has applications to any PAW situation you want to imagine
http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/inpict ... 19560.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Like most irregular forces they do not wear uniforms all the time and the uniform appears to a t shirt with the group name. In cases like this telling friend from foe would be quite difficult to someone not connected with the irregulars. With obvious results for the person who mistakenly engages the wrong person.

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:59 pm

Some deported gang bangers from Cali finding a new life defending the ancestral villages in Mexico's Pacific lowlands....

http://www.salon.com/2014/01/18/califor ... l_partner/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by absinthe beginner » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:04 pm

Vigilantes vs. narcos in Mexico (what happens when police and authorities are hopelessly corrupt).

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/01/ ... 8720140127" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by absinthe beginner » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:58 pm

Mexican dishwashers vs. drug lords.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... lords.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wearing balaclavas and baseball caps and holding Kalashnikovs with straps of string, the ragged vigilantes looked carefully over the sandbags for any movement of drug cartel snipers in the bushes.

Their barricade had been the scene of several recent shoot-outs; it controls a strategic road into the city of Apatzingán, bastion of the so-called Knights Templar, one of Mexico's most ruthless (and strangest) drug cartels.

But despite the risks Reginaldo Morales, a middle-aged lime farmer clad in a bullet-proof vest, said he would rather die fighting than live in fear of the cartel thugs kidnapping, murdering and raping.

“We are stopping the gangsters from going into our town, where they can hurt women and children,” said Mr Morales, a father of four. “Yes I have killed some of them in shoot-outs. But they are evil men and God will forgive me for that.”

Mexico’s vigilante movement – made up of fruit pickers and ranchers, dish washers and doctors – has mushroomed in recent weeks, finally turning the tables on the Knights Templar and changing the country’s long-running drug war.

El Charro
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead.

Post by El Charro » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:09 pm

Been a while,

From what the locals are saying in that area(hot lands). Things have changed for the better especially where the people were directly effected by these groups on a daily base. but time will tell what route this will take. Lots of uneasy answers with the situation. The military just gunned down one of the bosses a couple of days ago who was quoted in saying people will pay for this backlash, so much for that. banners were hung to celebrate his death by the community defense group.

it s a complicated situation and these folks have found a way to turn things around.
Tierra Y Libertad!
Mexicano Hastal La Madre yo orgulloso de ello estoy
El que quiera ser mi amigo mi mano le brindo yo
Pero si quieren problemas a sus ordenes estoy

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:23 am

El Charro wrote:Been a while,

Good to see you around again!

Comanche
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead Alive

Post by Comanche » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:32 am

I think we invaded the wrong country. We should be nation building on this side of the world.
Beer, Meat, Fire.

bc99

Post by bc99 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:02 pm

The real questions will arise when and if the vigilantes ever "defeat" the local cartels. Will they then move in to get a piece of the narco trade?

Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rev » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:05 pm

bc99 wrote:The real questions will arise when and if the vigilantes ever "defeat" the local cartels. Will they then move in to get a piece of the narco trade?
I think the governments real concern was that they'd continue their war against corruption and take it all the way to the capital.
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=19895

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:19 pm

bc99 wrote:The real questions will arise when and if the vigilantes ever "defeat" the local cartels. Will they then move in to get a piece of the narco trade?
As much money as there is to be made someone will start moving the drugs.

El Charro
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead.

Post by El Charro » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:51 am

Rev wrote:
I think the governments real concern was that they'd continue their war against corruption and take it all the way to the capital.

Both.

Someone already has dibs on the trade network. Who? The folks who generously gave these poor folks equipment to rise up against the local cartel. Also these defense groups are made up of a lot of different people not just farmers and locals. You got retired law and military and ex narcos that didnt believe in way things were being handled or abuse. While in the region known as "Hot lands" the cartel has taken some major hits, it is still operational in other areas of the state. Cartels dont really die. They break up to smaller cells or join another group, simple as that. Not like walmart's is hiring ex-narcos for logistics work.

The government saw concern when other areas started to pick up steam to fight back. The goverment has made its threats to the group about where not to enter. One concern was entering Morelia, the capital of Michoacan. This has been repeated by state and federal officials.

The other situation at hand is Michoacan is like one big town. People know each other from every corner of the state. It surprises me when I meet people and they know people I personally know. This is also one of the strong points of the defense groups. It wasnt hard to find the bad guys for this very reason.
Tierra Y Libertad!
Mexicano Hastal La Madre yo orgulloso de ello estoy
El que quiera ser mi amigo mi mano le brindo yo
Pero si quieren problemas a sus ordenes estoy

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Post by dogbane » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:21 am

How about some more positive news?
San Diego’s HardTech Labs opens cross-border hardware accelerator to tap Mexican manufacturing

In yet another signal that we’re in the midst of a full blown hardware renaissance, the San Diego startup community got its first manufacturing-focused accelerator. HardTech Labs (HTL), which bills itself as a cross-border operation, aims to give founders access to low-cost manufacturing infrastructure in the Mexican towns of Otay Mesa and Tijuana.

HardTech is in the process of raising a targeted $20 million initial fund, according to HTL co-founder and Origo Ventures managing partner Derek Footer, which will allow the group to fund the first four accelerator classes. HTL participants will receive more cash than your typical accelerator program offers, with as much as $150,000 available upon entering the program and an additional $300,000 on exit based on demand and production needs. Of course, hardware startups cost significantly more than those dealing only with software. They also seem more likely to see meaningful impact from expert mentorship, given the number of moving parts in a physical supply chain.

HTL is targeting three classes per year with up to 30 companies per class, with target participants expected to be within six to nine months of beginning commercial manufacturing. The first official class is slated for September, but a so-called “class zero” of Seven companies will begin the program in April. Class zero participants will not receive an upfront investment – as HTL is still fundraising – but will have access to office space, mentorship, and manufacturing infrastructure, as well as the potential to earn production financing upon the conclusion of the program.

Footer calls HardTech an umbrella organization — a consortium of participants all along the hardware production value chain. In the US, the program curriculum will be facilitated by the Ansir Innovation Center incubator and Origo, while participants will have access to the FabLab San Diego 3D-printing facility and the Co-Merge co-working space. South of the border, HTL has partnered with the Tijuana Economic Development Corp.’s Ignitus innovation program and legal and technical consultancy MINK Global.

Collectively, these entities aim to help early stage ventures shape their product ideas and business models, develop prototypes, and ultimately graduate to full-scale commercial manufacturing and fulfillment. Each will contribute a combination of capital and services in exchange for equity in startups accelerated through HardTech.

“It’s a lot harder than people think to set up manufacturing, in Mexico or anywhere else,” Footer says. “It takes more than just negotiating a contract. Hardware is not software. With software you can do if from anywhere in the world. With hardware you need to have a physical presence and to put eyes on the product.”

San Diego has a history of hardware technology success, led most notably by Qualcomm and a number of related wireless supply-chain vendors. The region is also home to a number of robotics and medical devices companies. At the earlier stage, pocket drone company AirDroids completed a $929,212 Kickstarter campaign on March 8th, receiving backing from 1,946 contributors.

HardTech isn’t the first hardware and manufacturing-focused accelerator, but it may be the first to take advantage of the infrastructure available immediately across the US-Mexico border. In the Bay Area, groups like Highway 1, Lemnos Labs, and Haxlr8r focus on Chinese manufacturing, as does Cambridge’s Dragon Innovation. In Los Angeles, a new VC called Tylt Lab recently launched to take advantage of the region’s manufacturing and fulfillment infrastructure.

Mexico offers a compromise between Asia’s low-cost (although less so than in the past), but similarly low-touch manufacturing option, and the comparatively high-cost, high-touch domestic alternative. The region doesn’t have the capacity currently to produce tens of millions of units of complicated products like smartphones, but for any company coming off a Kickstarter and looking to produce tens to hundreds of thousands of units at modest cost and with a high degree of control and flexibility, Mexico represents an attractive option. As a short drive from HardTech’s downtown San Diego operation, it’s a significant competitive advantage.

http://pando.com/2014/03/18/san-diegos- ... facturing/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mostly not here anymore.

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”