It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 2:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 412 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

What do you think of conflict in Africa?
It doesn't affect me. I couldn't care less. 15%  15%  [ 110 ]
I do business with Africa, so any instability in the region concerns me. 1%  1%  [ 8 ]
I have friends in Africa (missionairies; aid workers; residents) and I worry about their safety. 8%  8%  [ 60 ]
I live in Africa (state country and opinion). 1%  1%  [ 5 ]
Events in Africa are important as examples of the shit hitting the fan, and I can learn a lot from them. 42%  42%  [ 312 ]
It's a humanitarian crisis and I am concerned about about civilian suffering. 28%  28%  [ 206 ]
Other opinion (please state). 5%  5%  [ 34 ]
Total votes : 735
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:57 am 

phil_in_cs wrote:
hum:
Quote:
US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said her administration supported "the fundamental right of expression and assembly" and urged all parties "to exercise restraint".

She added that Washington believed the Egyptian government was "stable" and "looking for ways to respond to the legitimate needs and interests of the Egyptian people".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12272836

That sounds suspiciously like the "kiss of death" you get from a football team owner when they've been playing very poorly. Owner:"I think the manager is doing fine and we're are looking forward to renewing his contract after the season is over. He has my complete confidence." That is usually said a day or two before the manager is fired.

Well here ya go then:

BreakingNews: U.S. secretly backed rebel leaders behind Egypt uprising, The Telegraph reports http://bit.ly/fBHV0z

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:45 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Ivory Coast defaults on $2.3 Billion in bonds.
http://www.zerohedge.com/article/ivory-coast-defaults-23-billion-bonds-bonds-rise-cocoa-drops

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:48 pm 

A lot's been happening in Africa lately. Sorry I haven't updated this thread with the news from Nigeria and the Ivory Coast.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:44 pm 

Don't feel bad. Everyones attention has been in the Middle East, Japan, Libya.........

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:47 am 

If I had the money to wage an all out war for them I would, these people don't deserve this bullshit.

And it's appalling that nobody steps in just because the region has nothing to offer, nobody would care about Libya if it weren't for oil.

山 Steady as the mountain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:04 am 

To quote my father, Africa can bleed until it has no blood left, nobody will help us if we have nothing to give.

I am a proud South African, this violence is not as bad on paper as it is before your very eyes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:08 am 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

SSG Pete C. wrote:
If I had the money to wage an all out war for them I would, these people don't deserve this bullshit.

And it's appalling that nobody steps in just because the region has nothing to offer, nobody would care about Libya if it weren't for oil.

What.
The region has so much to offer...

The world should have killed big bad bob a long time ago but certain... *********

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:17 am 

It does affect me as instability in the region causes a raise in gas prices due to speculation. While that sounds cold as hell it has the virture of being the truth. I'm concerned about the humanitarian side of thins as well, but see little that can be done with it.

I'm very concerned that the uneven responce from other countries to various hot spots is making the overall situation worse. I'm willing to discuss specific issues on the last in PM but not in this thread as the topic is pure politics, but I felt worth mentioning in passing and hoping not to offend or open a can of worms.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:07 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I am with Tater Rider on this one, as I think that the varying responses towards different regions might end up in a serious SHTF, fanatic actions against the northern hemisphere might be the least of all worst case endings that might occur.

I voted others, btw.

What concerns me the most in africa as well as in any other region that is war-torn for decades are the children.

Yeah, call me a tree hugging hippie, but kids are my soft spot ever since, the more since I have a child myself. The children, babies merely, starve, get raped, tortured, mutilated, maimed and killed. For being from the wrong tribe or because some braindead drugged up weirdo needs an ego boost.

Those who don't end up dead grab daddy's AK or are forced to grab and join the fight as child soldiers. Brain-washed and eager to shed blood. And then they end up as braindead drugged up weirdo in need of an ego boost ...

And so the cycle keeps spinning without the chance of breaking the habit.

If you find typos, you may keep 'em.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 10:44 am 
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Let's try to keep this useful and informative thread on track. Specifically, I mean let's keep the religion and politics out.

I just moved a page's worth of stupid bullshit out of here. PMs have been sent.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:18 am 

Before the minor shtf event that was removed, I had posted that I was going to Africa on a non-church related trip to build orphanages, it would be crappy conditions and hard work, and that if anybody wanted to come along they can. Just a group of friends answering a buddy's request for help building stuff.

imrcly and I had been debating while the thread was locked, through pm, the merit of going over to Africa to help people out, or staying here. I'd like to continue that discussion. He ok'd putting up his pm's. Here's they are.

imrcly wrote:
All you are doing is destroying the local economy of that town, you 8 people are going there and stealing 8 construction workers jobs, why would you pay for something when you can get someone to do it for free, you are not helping these people support themselves you are stealing work from starving people.

rugger wrote:
Are you being sarcastic and comparing this to the immigration problem we have here? If not, I'm guessing you haven't been over there and seen what it's like. Those people don't take care of each other and there is rarely such a thing as a business, much less capitalism. They don't have time to take care of other people, they're so busy trying to feed themselves and not get killed. It's crazy. I'm hoping this was sarcasm, but if not, oh well.

imrcly wrote:
I was serious, why would steal the very few opportunities for the people living there to make a difference in their own lives and if they don't care to support each other why should you. If you feel you must support a 3rd world country why don't you just look at South Texas, there are homeless children there who have lost their families because of drug wars pouring across your own state's borders, families living in sheds and tents with sewage ditches because of gangs taking over their towns and forcing them to live in fields or die in their homes. People starving over the winter because the flooding destroyed the crop that they would normally be paid to pick. You don't need to go to another continent to steal poor peoples jobs to help someone. You can work with local people to help them get back into homes and work. Save your money on a plane ticket and use it to pay someone to build their neighbors house.

rugger wrote:
Quote:
Why would steal the very few opportunities for the people living there to make a difference in their own lives and if they don't care to support each other why should you.

I don't think you understand. They don't have time. Just like we talk about a PAW here, you will be busy surviving. Every family can't take in an orphan each, there's that many. And they can barely feed the family they have.

Quote:
If you feel you must support a 3rd world country why don't you just look at South Texas, there are homeless children there who have lost their families because of drug wars pouring across your own state's borders, families living in sheds and tents with sewage ditches because of gangs taking over their towns and forcing them to live in fields or die in their homes. People starving over the winter because the flooding destroyed the crop that they would normally be paid to pick.

You went with a totally wrong example to use with me. I live in an agricultural border town in Texas. Don't get me wrong, it's bad, but nothing like what you are talking about. What you are talking about exists, but in Mexico. And believe it or not, it's safer for a couple of white guys to go to Africa than to Mexico right now. Not even kidding about this. The drug wars and threats to people on this side is the most dangerous part. My family ranches and we have dealt with some very bad situations recently. To give you an idea, everybody goes armed outside of town. I have tons of examples of why and how it's bad down here, but it's not more than the violence aspect of it.

Quote:
You don't need to go to another continent to steal poor peoples jobs to help someone. You can work with local people to help them get back into homes and work. Save your money on a plane ticket and use it to pay someone to build their neighbors house.

A friend asked for help. He happens to live in Africa. That sums it all up.

That's the last PM that I have. Please continue.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:41 am 

ok, pm's added.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 12:02 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Rugger wrote:
You went with a totally wrong example to use with me. I live in an agricultural border town in Texas. Don't get me wrong, it's bad, but nothing like what you are talking about. What you are talking about exists, but in Mexico. And believe it or not, it's safer for a couple of white guys to go to Africa than to Mexico right now. Not even kidding about this. The drug wars and threats to people on this side is the most dangerous part. My family ranches and we have dealt with some very bad situations recently. To give you an idea, everybody goes armed outside of town. I have tons of examples of why and how it's bad down here, but it's not more than the violence aspect of it.

the situation must have changed from the last time I was there but it has been a few years, I am fairly certain the sewage ditch surrounded by tents and tarp huts was not in mexico unless I made a wrong turn and crossed the border without going through customs.

Rugger wrote:
A friend asked for help. He happens to live in Africa. That sums it all up.

I must have overlooked that part, it is a different story to help a person that has specifically asked you for help over just going.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 12:09 pm 

imrcly wrote:
Rugger wrote:

the situation must have changed from the last time I was there but it has been a few years, I am fairly certain the sewage ditch surrounded by tents and tarp huts was not in mexico unless I made a wrong turn and crossed the border without going through customs.

I know it's off topic, but where was this in Texas? Which border town?

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 12:39 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Rugger wrote:
I know it's off topic, but where was this in Texas? Which border town?

somewhere near Edinberg, I honestly was lost at the time.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:05 pm 

Meanwhile, in the Horn of Africa (the bit with Somalia in it, sticking out South of Saudi Arabia) the rains have failed again. I bet you didn't know that there are two rainy seasons in a normal year: one in our autumn, and one in our spring. Both have failed in sequence, which knocks out agriculture (most irrigation water is rain-fed: not much by way of aquifers or snowmelt). Agriculture is in turn much of the area's GDP.

It's famine time. Cue the usual: massive mortality, huge movements of hungry people, petty warlords playing at being the King of Hell and all the usual goodness.

Free UK & Ireland Street and Topo maps for Garmin: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps (updated weekly) - OpenStreetMap

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:12 am 

Thought it would be worth updating the thread regarding the famine in East Africa and particularly the tragically predictable and continuous SHTF in Somalia. It's been easy for me and I suspect many others to only have seen these stories fleetingly amid all the other bad news that seems to be raining down on the world at the moment, so here's some reading for those interested:

All south Somalia slipping into famine - U.N.
World's biggest refugee camp extended as Somalis flood in
Somali famine: Fighting in Mogadishu after 'aid threat'

TC's Defence of the Realm Target Download

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:00 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Update: Up to 29,000 children dead in Somalia in the last month due to famine. News articles have mentioned that many families are slaughtering thier only milk cow for food because they can't feed it. International aid is being disrupted by al-Shabab who are an AQ affiliate and are the de-facto government of southern somalia.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/08/ ... 8015.shtml

Zimmy wrote:
Intelligent safety conscious fireman snuffing telekinetic golems?
Our heroes are doomed without Gyrojet pistols firing antimatter tipped rockets!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:26 am 

Up to Seven Dead Amid Looting of Aid

Incidents like that hinder the distribution of what little aid gets there. The situation got out of control weeks ago. This is just the recent manifestation.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:28 pm 

Being born in most of Africa sucks. I have no desire to do anything about it but lessons from that horror of model of dysfunctionality is amazing.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:41 am 

Quote:
Zimbabwe torture camp discovered

A torture camp run by Zimbabwe's security forces is operating in the country's rich Marange diamond fields, BBC Panorama has found.

The programme heard from recent victims who told of severe beatings and sexual assault.

The claims come as the European Union pushes to let some banned diamonds from the country led by President Robert Mugabe back onto world markets.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:26 pm 

http://af.reuters.com/article/somaliaNe ... 0C20110808
Quote:
MOGADISHU, Aug 8 (Reuters) - Thousands of Somali refugees, fleeing famine and years of violence, streamed into Mogadishu on Monday searching for food after Islamist rebels withdrew from the capital.

The al Qaeda-affiliated al Shabaab insurgents began pulling their fighters out of Mogadishu over the weekend, raising hopes that humanitarian groups would be able to step up aid deliveries after years of blockages by the militant group.

Locals told Reuters long lines of refugees were now heading to the battle-scarred city to escape the region's worst drought in decades, and existing supplies were already running low.

The United Nations says about 3.6 million people are at risk of starvation in Somalia and about 12 million people across the Horn of Africa region, including in Ethiopia and Kenya.

"Now thousands ... are on the way from Bakool and Bay (regions) to Mogadishu,"

It might end up being "safe" to donate to Somalian relief now. Its a shame, but when terroristic warlords are basically in charge your donations might end up enriching and empowering them instead of feeding the starving. I'm a pretty compulsive newspaper reader, and there is a large Somalian population here in the Twin Cities so the newspaper has articles on the Somalian crisis every day. Its heartbreaking to see pictures of starved skeleton children in the newspaper every day. Food and help would have gotten to these people easily if there weren't fundamentalist ass hole criminal gangs preventing the aid from reaching them. Its a crazy world we live in.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:06 am 

Quote:
Aid workers from Kenya camp seized near Somali border

Gunmen have kidnapped two Spanish doctors working for the medical charity Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) near Kenya's border with Somalia.

The two were seized from the Dadaab refugee camp, which houses hundreds of thousands of refugees fleeing famine in the Horn of Africa.

Their Kenyan driver was injured and is now in hospital, MSF say.

In recent weeks, two foreign women - one English, the other French - have been kidnapped near the border.

Kenyan police told the BBC they were pursuing the kidnappers towards the Somali border by road and by air.

Al-Shabab?

The attack happened near the Ifo-1 camp, one of three areas that make up Dadaab. In all, Dadaab now houses 450,000 refugees, making it the equivalent of Kenya's third-largest city.

The BBC's Nawaz Shah, in Nairobi, says it is highly likely that the Islamist militants of the Somali al-Shabab group carried out the kidnapping.

The doctors' driver was shot several times in the neck and is now in a critical condition in hospital, our correspondent says.

Last month, 56-year-old Briton Judith Tebbutt was kidnapped by gunmen from a remote Kenyan resort at Kiwayu. Her husband David was killed. Mrs Tebbutt is believed to be held by the Islamist insurgents of al-Shabab in Somalia.

On 1 October, a 66-year-old French woman was seized by an armed gang Kenya's northern resort island of Manda and taken to Somalia.

And a Kenyan driver working for the Care charity was abducted from Dadaab on 21 September.

The UK Foreign Office has advised against all but essential travel to the Kenyan coast near the Somali border.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:52 am 

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/30/world/africa/congo-election-board-may-annul-tens-of-thousands-of-votes.html

Quote:
Congo’s election commission, which is run by a friend of President Joseph Kabila, is now threatening to disqualify tens of thousands of opposition votes, a surefire recipe for disaster, analysts say

Vehicle of choice, horse #1. 1hp multi fuel engine.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 412 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next