Big Africa SHTF Thread

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

What do you think of conflict in Africa?

It doesn't affect me. I couldn't care less.
15%
I do business with Africa, so any instability in the region concerns me.
1%
I have friends in Africa (missionairies; aid workers; residents) and I worry about their safety.
8%
I live in Africa (state country and opinion).
1%
Events in Africa are important as examples of the shit hitting the fan, and I can learn a lot from them.
42%
It's a humanitarian crisis and I am concerned about about civilian suffering.
28%
Other opinion (please state).
5%

Total votes: 735

throwback

Re: Big Africa SHTF Thread

Post by throwback » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:30 pm

So this begs the question: What is at stake for the Russians that they don't think the UN should certify the results? Do they have close ties with the old regime or something?
Disclaimer: *Throwbacks opinions are just his opinions. They are based on the best facts he has to hand, and sometimes in spite of them. It is possible for two intelligent people to disagree, and sometimes both of them are right.*

survivaljoe
Favorite Zombie Movies: All!!

Post by survivaljoe » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:55 pm

thechin wrote:"Russia says the UN would be exceeding its mandate if it declared the winner of an election"

The UN are not declaring a winner, they're declaring the results of a democratic vote the people of the region has held. Just from the history and references for Ouattara and the fact that we (the United States) are backing him politically in light of his affiliations should show Russia that there are no hidden motives or agenda and that they should shut the F@#K UP if they don't have something to say in which would resolve the situation in a peaceful manner. :evil:

UN extends Cote d'Ivoire mandate: As Gbagbo's allies scoff at new EU sanctions, UN extends its peacekeeping miss... http://aje.me/hbl34l" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

UN: Ivoirians at risk of civil war: Ban Ki-moon says UN mission is hindered by forces loyal to president, as cou... http://aje.me/hYZ9o2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Security Council extends mandate of U.N. peacekeepers in Ivory Coast for six months, in challenge to incumbent Laurent Gbagbo

U.N. Security Council urges all parties to recognize opposition leader Alassane Ouattara as Ivory Coast's president.

EU announces it will impose a travel ban on Ivory Coast incumbent Laurent Gbagbo after disputed elections - BBC http://bbc.in/ft7dwB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

US orders nearly all personnel out of Ivory Coast - AP http://wapo.st/fE8POP" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

UN troops to stay in Cote d'Ivoire: Ban Ki-moon vows international force will "fulfil its mandate" in country be... http://aje.me/h0G8JB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gbagbo calls for international review of Ivory Coast's post-election crisis - France24 http://f24.my/fROO7g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-----
'Held hostage'

Ban has said that Gbagbo must step down and hand power to Alassane Ouattara, the opposition leader who the UN says won Ivory Coast's November 28 presidential election.

The election precipitated a crisis with both Ouattara and Gbagbo claiming victory. Both men set up cabinets and Ouattara is running his parallel government from a hotel in Abidjan.

Speaking to Al Jazeera, Patrick Achi, a spokesman for Ouattara, said that Gbagbo had no right to ask the UN to leave.

"The population is the hostage of someone who lost the election," Achi added.

------
The UN - which has extended the mandate of its peacekeeping force by six months - the West, and African leaders have all said Mr Ouattara was the victor.

There are fears that the dispute could reignite civil war in the world's largest cocoa producer.

-----
World powers agreed on Monday to keep 10,000 UN peacekeepers in Cote d'Ivoire after a disputed presidential poll, openly defying disputed president Laurent Gbagbo's demand that they quit the country.

UN troops in Cote d'Ivoire are ready to open fire to defend their mandate, which includes the protection of civilians, the UN peacekeeping chief said.

Gbagbo faces growing international pressure after European Union countries agreed to impose a travel ban on him and his entourage for failing to step down after a November 28 election the outside world and many in the country says he lost.

The US said it was also readying sanctions and repeated its call for Gbagbo to stand down.

"It is time for him to go," Robert Gibbs, White House spokesman, said.

Alassane Ouattara, Gbagbo's rival claimant, has the backing of the UN, the African Union, Washington and the European Union but Gbagbo retains control over the army in a power struggle that has raised fears of a return to war in the world's top cocoa grower.

It appears from these headlines and many more sources that the UN is indeed declaring a winner to the election process in the Ivory Coast.
...It's been a while...

survivaljoe

Post by survivaljoe » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:56 pm

throwback wrote:So this begs the question: What is at stake for the Russians that they don't think the UN should certify the results? Do they have close ties with the old regime or something?
Maybe the Russians just love Hot Cocoa in the morning :lol:
...It's been a while...

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:43 am

throwback wrote:So this begs the question: What is at stake for the Russians that they don't think the UN should certify the results? Do they have close ties with the old regime or something?
At a basic level, they don't like the UN interfering in a nation's affairs unless it directly supports their interests. As to your question, I doubt they care about which African runs the place, but I'd bet they have economic interests in place they don't want to lose.
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Post by dogbane » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:55 am

I am the undisputed creator of the zombie tornado. (High Ground series now available)

survivaljoe

Post by survivaljoe » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:06 pm

AJEnglish: Plan to force out Gbagbo 'ready': West African military chiefs agree on "last resort" plan to forcefully remove ... http://aje.me/hsMXGi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
...It's been a while...

survivaljoe

Post by survivaljoe » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:48 pm

AJEnglish: UN troops 'shot' Gbagbo supporters: UN denies claims by two hospital patients that peacekeepers opened fire on t... http://aje.me/gzGvWU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
...It's been a while...

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:02 pm

Govt in Tunisia falls:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12195025" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tunisia's president has stepped down amid growing unrest on the streets of the capital and other towns and cities.

Prime Minister Mohammed Ghannouchi said he would be taking over from President Zine al-Abidine Ben Ali.

A state of emergency has been declared amid protests over corruption, unemployment and rising prices.

Troops have surrounded the country's main international airport, Tunis Carthage, and the country's air space has been closed.

Mr Ben Aki had earlier dismissed his government and dissolved parliament, saying new elections would be held within six months.

The state of emergency decree bans more than three people from gathering together in the open, and imposes a night-time curfew. Security forces have been authorised to open fire on people not obeying their orders.
More at the link
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

the commando

Post by the commando » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:50 pm

all hell broke lose in tunisia

stuff are getting hard here , looting , black outs , riots , govt lost control
food are in short supplies
what made matters worse is that before this SHTF firearms were illigal and now few military , police ,(former) military own full autos and are threating citizens
president escaped
stuff are getting mad there
American freedom : government lets you buy guns
Libyan freedom : government gives you free guns

survivaljoe

Post by survivaljoe » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:41 am

AJEnglish: Tunisia gripped by uncertainty: Bands of looters go on the rampage while a fire in a prison apparently linked to... http://aje.me/grpqhC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rampaging bands of looters...
...It's been a while...

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:01 am

NYT and BBC report neighborhoods are forming little militias armed with clubs and knives to keep the looters out.

I think the lesson there is to work closely with your neighbors in the good times so you can stick together in the bad.

Since not everyone in the world lives in a firearms permissive environment, it stands to reason that proficiency with some other sort of projectile launcher, spear, bow, sling, crossbow, wrist rocket would be a good idea.

Lastly, since there have been years of economic privations, unemployment, rising prices, decreased foodstuffs and consumer goods in the market places, I wonder how the working class Tunisian could have made preps for this. Suspect the answer is always buy a little more every time you go shopping, but I doubt that maxim could apply for most humble folks there.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

Old_Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days and weeks later, I am legend, the original dawn of the Dead...etc.

Post by Old_Man » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:39 am

Looks like Egypt is starting to have problems...their CDS spreads have taken off like a rocket as well as protests.

http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-ne ... parliament

dogbane

Post by dogbane » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:26 pm

the commando wrote:all hell broke lose in tunisia

stuff are getting hard here , looting , black outs , riots , govt lost control
food are in short supplies
what made matters worse is that before this SHTF firearms were illigal and now few military , police ,(former) military own full autos and are threating citizens
president escaped
stuff are getting mad there
Are you there? If so, please feel free to relate any of your experiences on this thread. We will read your updates with interest.
I am the undisputed creator of the zombie tornado. (High Ground series now available)

Old_Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days and weeks later, I am legend, the original dawn of the Dead...etc.

Post by Old_Man » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:54 am

Continuing the Africa nightmare....the former regime of the Ivory Coast (defeated in Nov) has told bond holders the country will default if creditors don't recognize the loosing prez as the legitimate leader.
Ivory Coast’s $2.3 billion of Eurobonds fell to a record low as a spokesman for Laurent Gbagbo said the country will make a missed interest payment only if creditors recognize him as victor of the disputed presidential November elections.

The debt of the world’s biggest cocoa producer declined 0.3 percent to 37.625 cents on the dollar as of 5:40 p.m. in Abidjan, the commercial capital, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. That drove the yield on the 2.5 percent debt due 2032 up 5 basis points to 16.893 percent.

“We did our part of the job and pledged to pay,” Ahoua Don Mello, Gbagbo’s spokesman, said by phone today from Abidjan. “It is now the turn of the lenders to do theirs.” Ivory Coast’s government under Gbagbo will invite creditors to the nation to discuss the terms of the coupon payment, he said.

The West African nation missed an interest payment Dec. 31 on its bonds amid a political standoff over the results of the Nov. 28 election between incumbent Gbagbo, who refuses to step down, and internationally backed winner Alassane Ouattara. Payment terms carry a 30-day grace period. The Central Bank of West African States supported Ouattara at a Dec. 23 meeting of finance ministers of seven member nations, excluding Ivory Coast, giving him control over state reserves previously governed by Gbagbo.
http://www.zerohedge.com/article/enter- ... pt-preside

dogbane

Post by dogbane » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:48 am

DR Congo army commander 'led mass rape' in Fizi

An army commander in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo has been accused of leading the recent mass rape of at least 50 women.

One of the victims, as well as sources quoted in a UN report, all accuse Lt Col Kibibi Mutware of links to New Year's Day rapes in the town of Fizi.

There have been numerous cases of mass rape in DR Congo's conflict but this is believed to be the largest single incident allegedly involving the army.

Lt Col Kibibi has denied the charges.

He said that the soldiers who raided the town had disobeyed orders.

From an everyday fight between two men over a woman, violence escalated into a brutal punitive expedition by a group of government troops against the population of Fizi.

Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Rabid (1977)

Post by Ad'lan » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:57 am

I'm trying to remember if there was any other method than the one's we used 200 years ago to stop a culture of permissive rape and looting in the military. All I can think of is how Wellington did it. Publicly hang every offender.
My Guide to making your own Bowstring
My Guide to making your own Flint Arrowheads
My Guide to Fletching
My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.
Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:01 am

Ad'lan wrote:I'm trying to remember if there was any other method than the one's we used 200 years ago to stop a culture of permissive rape and looting in the military. All I can think of is how Wellington did it. Publicly hang every offender.
Well there seem to be machetes a plenty in Africa that could be used to remove the offender's weapon of choice, but what is missing is a leader willing to enforce good order and discipline.

All to often these rebel groups are little more than roving gangs and some of the rewards for following a particular warlord are booze, drugs and women.

Armies in places like the DRC are not much more than these same gangs but with the same uniform and weapons.

It also behooves these LTCOLs to be premissive because commaning a battalion of loyal and frightening fighters is a good powerbase to become the next district chief, if not President.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

Old_Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Old_Man » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:21 am

Here goes Egypt....
From Al-Jazeera: "Hundreds of protesters have begun to take to the streets in Cairo, the Egyptian capital, chanting slogans against the police, the interior minister and the government, in scenes that the capital has not seen since the 1970s, Al Jazeera's correspondent reported. Downtown Cairo has come to a standstill, and protesters are now marching towards the headquarters of the ruling National Democracy Party. "It is unprecedented for security forces to let people march like this without trying to stop them," Al Jazeera's Rawya Rageh reported from the site of the protest."
http://www.zerohedge.com/article/riotin ... -out-egypt

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:28 am

Old_Man wrote:Here goes Egypt....
From Al-Jazeera: "Hundreds of protesters have begun to take to the streets in Cairo, the Egyptian capital, chanting slogans against the police, the interior minister and the government, in scenes that the capital has not seen since the 1970s, Al Jazeera's correspondent reported. Downtown Cairo has come to a standstill, and protesters are now marching towards the headquarters of the ruling National Democracy Party. "It is unprecedented for security forces to let people march like this without trying to stop them," Al Jazeera's Rawya Rageh reported from the site of the protest."
http://www.zerohedge.com/article/riotin ... -out-egypt
While we take rioting seriously here, it is a national past time in many places. When your unemployment rate of young men is 40-50%, it is easy to turn out a large angry crowd.
"It is unprecedented for security forces to let people march like this without trying to stop them," Al Jazeera's Rawya Rageh reported from the site of the protest."
That could mean the riot benefits the security people in an internal power struggle. The security forces in Egypt are ruthlessly efficient.

andygates
Favorite Zombie Movies: ROTLD 2 ;)

Post by andygates » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:36 pm

It's not a national pastime in Egypt, though - it's not France, after all ;)
Czechnology: "If you have to ask an internet forum for confirmation on whether or not a Revolution is coming, the answer is always no."

Free UK & Ireland Street and Topo maps for Garmin: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps (updated weekly) - OpenStreetMap

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:51 pm

hum:
US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said her administration supported "the fundamental right of expression and assembly" and urged all parties "to exercise restraint".

She added that Washington believed the Egyptian government was "stable" and "looking for ways to respond to the legitimate needs and interests of the Egyptian people".
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12272836" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That sounds suspiciously like the "kiss of death" you get from a football team owner when they've been playing very poorly. Owner:"I think the manager is doing fine and we're are looking forward to renewing his contract after the season is over. He has my complete confidence." That is usually said a day or two before the manager is fired.

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:02 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12283849" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Egypt is to crack down on public protest and has vowed to arrest and prosecute anyone found taking to the streets against the government.

Public gatherings, protests and marches will no longer be tolerated, the interior ministry has said.

The warning came as a fourth person died after nationwide protests, which were broken up overnight.

Medics said the injured person died in Suez, in the east of Egypt, where two protesters were killed on Tuesday.

A police officer was also killed amid the violence in Cairo.

Following a "day of revolt" across Egypt on Tuesday, protesters attempted to stage new demonstrations in Cairo on Wednesday.

There were scuffles reported outside the journalists' union building in central Cairo as hundreds of people gathered to protest.
The Egyptian security people are very good at smashing resistance. How far this goes remains to be seen. More info at the link.

Old_Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Old_Man » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:47 pm

Rumor has it things have gone beyond mere arrest....
http://theintelhub.com/2011/01/27/break ... -this-out/
Arabic Language video describing mass shootings in Suez city on the evening of the 26th January 2011 with text translation.

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:38 am

Y'all were right on Egypt and I was wrong: TC has started a specifc thread here. http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 22&t=75690" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”